Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Unlikely Coincidence ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

===================================================

Title: Unlikely Coincidence

Author: Silent Seraphim

Rating: PG - Rating subject to change due to content.

Genre: Humor/Supernatural/Action/Adventure/Crossover. I'm sure there's more, but my brain seems to have short-circuited on me lately.

Pairings: Gundam Wing: 2x1, 3x4, hinted 2x5x1. Card Captor Sakura: TouyaxYukito/Yue, Sakura x Syaoran, unrequited Tomoyo x Sakura.

Updated:8/20/04

===================================================

Warnings: Spoilers for series and Episode Zero manga.Spoilers from entirety of Card Captor Sakura manga. Language, Violence, Magic, shounen-ai some gore (later on). Some stuff that obviously never happened will be included...and there will be a little bit of series-plot twisting to suit my needs here.

Summary: When the pilots un-intentionally become the butt of one cosmically mis-directed spell, courtesy of one Hiiragizawa Eriol, and the Li clan, they become entangled in a battle they were never intended to fight and the weight of the world is forced once more onto their shoulders. The question remains-- will they escape in one piece? Crossover with Card Captor Sakura.

Comments: This is my first large-scale, non-LJ challenge type fanfiction that spans two different fandoms. Neither fandom is new to me, since I have been prowling both for several years, but I haven't really had the balls enough to come out and actually write a full-scale fic. I have attempted a crossover before, and am currently working on another in response to a Live Journal community challenge.

If you are looking for regular updates, this is not the story for you. I'm a full-time student, I am involved with cheerleading and several after-school extracurricular activities that draw a lot of my time, and unfortunately, this leaves me with little time to write. So I apologize in advance... it could be weeks or months before I update again.

This fic should have at the very least, ten chapters. I have planned somewhere between 10-14 chapters, depending on their length, and how well this goes. Remember: Feedback does wonders. It also provokes me to work on this more often than I normally would. I appreciate blatant honesty... meaning if you think this sucks, just say so. It will help me improve.

===================================================

Chapter 1-a

===================================================

==================================================

A.C. 195, April 11

Location: Ianovych, Russia

==================================================

"Dammit!" fifteen-year-oldDuo Maxwell swore, withdrawing his painfully throbbing thumb away from the offending hammer. The same tool that had just attempted to flatten his thumb. While it had not successfully completed said task... it had made his hand sore.

"Hn. Baka. What did you do this time?" The monotonous, drawl of one Heero Yuy was heard over the dull buzz of nearby machinery as he shot a flat gaze to his comrade, who was cradling his hand as if he had lost a limb.

"Smashed my thumb with the hammer." Was the indignant reply as the violet-eyed teen stuck his thumb in his mouth reflexively.

"Get back to work. These repairs need to be finished. We're leaving in two days."

The brunette, in a characteristic display of childishness, removed his thumb from his mouth, stuck his tongue out and blew a raspberry at the robot-like pilot before picking up the hammer again and returning to tamping the metal down to the wires so they wouldn't accidentally come loose later on. "You're no fun anyway, Heero-kun." He sighed.

He looked up, his gaze alighting on Chang Wufei's gundam, Shenlong... which is where he should have been working, but it was quite apparent from the lack of ranting and raving on the Chinese pilot's behalf that he wasn't there.

"Where's Wuffers?" Duo mused, an inquisitive expression spreading across his face. Quatre looked up from where he was working on one of Sandrock's manual control panels. "He left over an hour ago. He was angry about something, but when I asked him about what was bothering him, he just turned red and began to mutter various curse-words. I thought it best to just leave him alone."

Duo bit his lip. "I swear I didn't do it, whatever he's pissed off about."

"I know... but he has been acting strange lately. Could you go and see if he will tell you what is bothering him, please? We really need him to be clear headed during the mission... there's no room for error and we don't have the time to waste on calming him down." Quatre frowned worriedly.

Duo nodded. "I'll go check on him. Hey, Hee-chan. The repairs to the manual access and override panels are finished... all that's left is some simple re-wiring. Do you think you could handle it for me while I go check up on Chang, yanno, before he's struck with the compulsion to strangle some poor defenseless little creature such as myself?"

Heero snorted. "Hn. Whatever."

Duo grinned, and slid down the tow wire from the cockpit. He jumped the last three or four feet, and took off at a sprint; his wild, anaconda-like braid of waist-length chestnut hair snaking behind him as he ran.

========================================================

"Hey Wu-babe!" Duo yelled upon his entrance to the single-story, three-bedroom house they were currently using for a safe house. Duo frowned after hearing no echoing reply of 'Damn you, Maxwell, that's not my name!', and sidestepped the kitchen counter to pull the light switch on. "Are you in here?"

Again, he received no answer.

Biting his lip, the self-proclaimed Shinigami removed his jungle-boots, that he had swiped earlier, courtesy of an army surplus retailer in one of the several un-namable towns they had passed through nearly a month ago, and padded in his socks across the carpeting, making sure to avoid the squeaky floorboard in the middle of the hallway.

"Chang?" He called, knitting his eyebrows. Even if the pilot had decided to go to bed early, he would have been alert enough to answer. That is, unless he was meditating, and then he would not answer at all, but that was a part of his routine he normally indulged in during the wee-hours of the morning when no one else was insane enough to be awake besides Trowa, who was a caffeine junkie of the worst kind.

The early bird gets the worm, my ass. Duo snorted as an after-thought. It's more like; the early bird misses sleep and doesn't function for crap unless the early bird gets an insane dose of caffeine to get his sleep-deprived ass in gear.

Despite the fact that his nerves were prickling, he continued down the hallway. Something was definitely wrong. Wufei would have at least answered at this point, no matter what he was pissed off about.

As Duo reached the door, the hair at the nape of his neck and on the backs of his arms was standing on end.

Something's wrong, and it's not a feeling that I like...

In trepidation, he reached for the door-handle with his left hand, and held his gun in his right. "Wufei?"

A muffled noise, a thud that suspiciously sounded like someone or something had hit the floor alerted Duo to the presence of someone else. Duo forewent caution, and kicked the door open, gun raised.

Without warning, a blinding flash of light made its appearance known, completely disorienting Duo for a fraction of a second, then a stinging, echoing pain rebounded through his skull, and a black haze began to invade Duo's vision. He crumpled bonelessly to the floor, as oblivion overtook his senses.

================================================

Chapter 1-B

================================================

================================================

A.D. 1999, April 13

Location: Unknown

================================================

"Are you sure that he's alright?" An unfamiliar voice of a young girl asked, the tone of worry laced in the words very obvious.

"I'm not entirely sure... something seems, I don't know, very- off. Like having your shirt on backwards, or inside out and not noticing it." another voice, this time that of a young man, answered. "When I get my hands on that cursed half-reincarnation-"

"You won't do a thing, Li-san. None of us could have foreseen this outcome." At last, familiarity. Good old Wufei to the rescue.

Duo groaned, his voice sounding, even to himself, strangely weak and gravelly. He supposed it didn't help that the beginnings of a headache's steady parade was making its presence known with the annoying throb at his temples. With a hand he reached up and rubbed the bridge of his nose, attempting to convince the parade that it was going to start raining really soon and it should pack up and crawl back into whatever godforsaken hole it had been lurking in. "What the hell happened? I feel like I took the full brunt of a beam-cannon blast, courtesy of Wing Zero."

"You may as well have." Heero dryly responded, helping his injured comrade to sit up on his bedroll. "You've been out for a day and a half."

"That cursed... when I get my hands on him, I'm going to relish in strangling the life from him." Another unfamiliar, furious sounding voice snarled.

"You won't be able to do a thing until you see him next... which could be a while," another male voice drawled. "So chill out... getting pissed off doesn't help anyone, and they're the ones that need it."

"I suppose you're right, but it's still quite unfair to them that they have to suffer for Cl- Hiiragizawa's poor judgment."

"Unfair? Try more along the lines of dangerous and detrimental." Quatre pitched in. A blonde haired blur that Duo assumed to be him leaned into view, and handed Duo a small pill and a glass of water. Duo eyed both warily.

"It's just an aspirin. It'll take the edge off of the headache."

Duo stuck the pill in his mouth and downed it, along with half of the water in one gulp. "Needless to say, I probably look as shitty as I feel. God, what happened? It feels like I took a crack from the butt of a rifle at the back of my skull." Duo rubbed his eyes, trying to clear the blurriness away. It cleared, slightly, but not enough to suit Duo's tastes.

"If it makes you feel any better, you do."

"Thanks." Duo rolled his eyes. "What the hell happened?"

"I'm not so sure you want to know the answer to that... it's a bit hard to stomach. Literally." Quatre adopted a semi-grimace. Duo met it with a raised eyebrow and a deadpan expression. "I'm a gundam pilot. Nothing short of a fucking miracle, like say, the entirety of the OZ forces just up and disappeared without a trace, and Colonel Une started acting, yanno, sane, is going to surprise me at this point."

The cyan-eyed teen shrugged and offered the group behind him an I-told-you-so look. "Suit yourself, Duo. Don't say I didn't warn you." He left the room, with Wufei trailing behind him. Duo could make out two different shapes standing near the doorway; one was an androgynous appearing male, with long, to the point of ridiculous, silver-white hair, pale skin, and lamp-like ice-blue eyes that chilled Duo slightly. The other was a brown haired, brown-eyed Asian teenager, who was just slightly shorter than he was. The cast of his features marked him distinctly as either Chinese or at a stretch, possibly Korean.

"I take it that Q-ball's leaving the explanations to you?" Duo asked, eyeing the teen and his companion warily. The older man nodded. "Apparently he thought you may take it better if we showed you, for some reason."

Duo shrugged. "Quatre's the diplomat and tactician of the group... so usually he's right."

"So... just out of curiosity's sake, who the heck are the two of you, since you both already seem to know my name?"

The teenager shrugged. "My name is Li Xiao Lang... but everyone refers to me as Syaoran. This is Yue."

Duo nodded in greeting.

"You're a long way from home, you know." The boy muttered, looking up at him. He was dressed in some sort of strange, green, ceremonial garb. Duo dismissed the number of comments he could make about it with a mental punt, and kept his mouth shut.

"Really. Nice statement of the completely obvious, Sherlock." Duo snapped.

"He meant it in the literal sense, Maxwell-san. The reason we bring up the distance factor is that you are not even in the same century, let alone the same position, or country you were hiding in. Needless to say, because of a stupid mistake that should have never happened on the behalf of an over-confident, trick playing idiot, you are now trapped here in A.D. 1999, until we find a way to get you home."

Duo stared at them both, and a twisted, strangled version of a laugh escaped his lips. "Ha. I'm not buying it."

"We weren't expecting you to, because of your own circumstances. Magic for you is little more than legend and fairy-tales, stories for children." Yue answered, matter-of-factly.

Duo raised an eyebrow. "So what if it is? Even if it did exist, it's not as if it'd be public knowledge, especially where I come from. You'd be chased down by soldiers and shot in the head, and then thrown into the growing pile of corpses lying on the side of the street for everyone to see," he answered, dryly. "Like I said, things like that don't become public knowledge."

"It exists... and it's the reason you are here." The white haired man answered. "For you I understand that it's not an easily accepted fact, but it does exist, and if it comes to it, we can easily prove it."

"I could care less if pigs started flying at this point. Although I do not believe a word of it, I am not exactly in the position to be making stupid decisions that will cost me later. The fact that my comrades have not shot at you yet makes it clear that they somewhat trust you, which means, I am not about to deny joining the bandwagon. I suppose I will trust you for now... because I have no other choice." Duo stood albeit shakily, and stared at the two of them.

"Just don't give me a reason to not trust you."

========================================================

Chapter 1-C

========================================================

========================================================

A.D. 1999, April 14.

Location: Hong Kong, China. Li Clan Compound

========================================================

"So, they have arrived. You have done well, Hiiragizawa."

The dark haired, glasses clad man frowned. "I still don't understand why you enlisted my help in this endeavor. Those five are teetering in an extremely precarious position. I don't relish the thought of what is going to happen in their absence." His gaze alighted dangerously on the panel of men in front of him. "They are not simple teenage boys."

"We are well aware of that, or have you forgotten that we are the ones that enlisted your help?"

"I believe this was a brash and un-strategized movement on everyone's part." Eriol countered with an accusatory look. "I had no idea that those five were involved in any sort of fighting, nor was I aware that they had received no training."

"Then it is your job to train them." the old man's voice echoed throughout the chamber, resonating with the vibrations of a power older than Eriol... or his previous incarnation. "We did not foresee the inclusion of an entire battalion of soldiers with them. Those machines are wreaking havoc. We will tell you where we have hidden those robots, but they are only to use them if the situation escapes your control."

Eriol stifled the snide comment that was threatening to escape, but said nothing, knowing he was already on thin ice.

"You should have informed me before I partook in this act." Eriol sneered, clearly displeased.

"It is too late for such thoughts, Eriol. Do as you are commanded."

Eriol dropped to one knee and bowed his head. "We have spoken."

He rose to his feet, his coat swishing behind him as he turned around to face the doors.

Damn them... they will never change. I suspect they planned this all along, and I am their scapegoat.

As the large doors swung shut behind the infuriated mage, the eldest of the clan's elders, Li Xiang Yen, closed his eyes and muttered.

"May the gods have mercy on our souls... I fear that our time is far too short."

========================================

Notes: This seems a bit on the choppy and disorganized side to me... I do not know why, actually, since I did follow my plot, but it's bugging me terribly. At 2300+ words, I deemed that this thing was long enough.

Reasons for writing this: Well, for starters, it is not a common crossover- although there are a few authors who have managed to successfully pull it off. Rei Minomiko, with her stories 'Destiny' and 'Back Through Time' (Which is a long-standing WIP and it has not been updated in several months) and Starlife, with 'Card Captor Death' (also a long-standing WIP) are good examples.

Secondly, it has just been bothering me since the 'Strange Bedfellows' challenge issued by the Tsukimineshrine community, which is moderated by Mellowcandle, (A.K.A. L-chan). I wrote a response for it, and was not very happy with the resulting one-shot. However, it spawned a series of attempts at writing a crossover of a larger proportion, and this is the result thus far. Again, I'm not really very pleased with the way it turned out, and since I am an incredibly insecure person when it comes to my writing, reviews help a lot to rectify that.

08/20/04