Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Valentine Past, Present and Future ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
It's amazing to see what your muses give you in the shower.

Title: Valentine Past, Present and Future
Author: Sailor Bluestar
Pairings: 6x2/2x6
Rating: PG
Warnings: A little bit of spoiler for Duo's Episode Zero.
Disclaimers: Dun own de boys.

~Valentine Past, Present and Future~

[February 14, AC 185]

A couple and their 5 year old son walked down their quiet street. Unbeknown to them, the leader of their street's gang was killed. An uproar occurred as members fought for the right to be leader. The fights had reached the street the couple and child were walking on. The mother urged her child to run for safety. The child ran, but looked back just in time to see his parents accidentally shot by gang members. Running into an alley, the child hoped that none of the gang members followed him.

"Lost kid?" a teen asked him from the shadows.

The child shrank back. The teen stepped out of the shadows so that the child may see them. Blue eyes smiled down at him as long golden hair fell gently over the back.

"Are ya lost kid?" the teen asked again. "Gotta name kid?"

"Dead." the child replied. "No name, not anymore."

"Damn gang wars. Even if they are amongst their own gang, they shouldn't do that to innocent folk." the teen sighed. "Name's Solo. I'll take ya in. The streets can be tough a youngster like you."

The child blinked up at Solo.

"I promise I won't hurt ya. And neither will any of the other members. I promise." Solo said.

The child followed Solo, learning from him what he needed to know in order to survive the streets of L2. After the death of Solo from the plague, the child renamed himself to be Duo in his honor. Since the plague killed off many of the older members of their miniature street gang, Duo was the oldest. For a while things worked out. But Duo knew he couldn't do as good a job as Solo did. So he found an orphanage where they could all be taken in.

Father Maxwell and Sister Helen ran the orphanage and made sure that many of the children got good homes. Due to his reluctance to stay at any of the foster homes, Duo became Father Maxwell and Sister Helen's child. When soldiers destroyed the church, Duo gave himself Maxwell as his last name. The next few years became a blur as he worked to survive on the streets, later becoming a Gundam pilot and fighting in the war.

It was February 14, 197 AC that Duo saw him. Him with his ice blue eyes and platinum blonde locks. Duo had been wondering if the war was truly over and peace had finally came. After the Mariemeia incident, he wasn't so sure anymore. He had been invited by Relena to attend some high society Valentine's Day gala. Probably a plot to get close to Heero and confess her feelings, but the pilots came, even if to protect the wayward princess of peace.

He approached Duo then, at the gala. Duo guessed he was forced to show his face. It's not a normal occurence to want to destroy the Earth. Zechs Merquise, Milliardo Peacecraft, Preventer Wind; so many identities. He offered Duo a rose patterned hair tie that night. And a promise. Duo took up his promise and they are happily living together. Duo still had that hair tie.

[February 14, 205 AC]

Duo looked at the mirror as he brushed his chestnut hair. Duo never realized it before from telecasts, but Zechs reminded him of Solo. He wondered if Solo would have looked like Zechs if he had survived the plague.

"Ready love?" a deep voice rumbled from behind Duo.

Duo smiled at Zechs through the mirror's reflection, "Just remembering stuff. And wondering things."

"And what be?" Zechs asked, taking the brush and brushing Duo's hair before braiding it.

"About the past. It just occurred to me that you remind me of someone." Duo said.

"Oh? Who? And is it a good thing?" Zechs asked, tying it off with the rose pattern hair tie from years ago in a tradition they created.

"You reminded me of Solo. He was the one who took me in when my parents died. He had blue eyes and long blonde hair. I was just wondering if he would have grown up to look a bit like you." Duo said. "He was the one who I named myself after."

"I'm honored love, that I resemble him. I would have loved to meet Solo and thank him for taking such good care of you." Zechs said. "Now, are you ready?"

"For a candle-light, romantic dinner in front of a roaring fire on the floor? Always." Duo said with a grin.

"Just like last year." Zechs said, kissing Duo softly.

"Nani? No surprises?" Duo pouted.

"Perhaps." Zechs smirked. "I haven't told you yet that we'll be having strawberries and whipped cream with champagne after dinner. Followed by some cuddling. Whatever happens after that is beyond my scheduling."

"So no interrupting calls for Preventer Wind? No calls from Relena Peacecraft or any other dignitaries demanding to see Milliardo Peacecraft? No Heero Yuy pounding at our door, demanding for a rematch of one Zechs Merquise?" Duo asked innocently.

Zechs laughed, "I've made sure that our phone is free by programming a little message for anyone who dares call us on Valentine's Day. As for Heero pounding at our door, I believe we've resolved our differences years ago. No interruptions tonight. As long as Shinigami isn't needed to kill anyone."

"Zechs! I haven't needed to kill ANYONE for years!" Duo pouted. "This Shinigami has retired, from killing, not mischief-making."

"On Valentine's Day?" Zechs asked, raising an eyebrow.

"It's his day off." Duo said. "Let's get tonight started."

"As you wish, love." Zechs said, leading Duo downstairs. "As you wish."

OWARI