Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Verses From Your Song ❯ Orpheus's Den ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6: Orpheus's Den

Gundam Wing: Does not belong to me I'm just borrowing.

Poetry: Is mine

Verses marked are from the following sources:

**"Raglan Road" as performed by Joan Osborne with The Chieftains on the album Tears Of Stone.

*** Is from the motion picture soundtrack of Curdled the song is "Luna Rotas"performed by Rosana.

*"Rhythm Emotion" is by Two Mix.

*******************************************

Orpheus's Den was the premiere nightspot on colony Q199. A three level carnival of the senses that was split into five sections of pure delight, the overall theme of the place being Olympus and purposefully put, people either thought it a crypt of evil or a heavenly cathedral. Truly it mattered not what anyone saw it as, because much like the establishments new co-owner the place existed for glory and frivolity all at once.

The main entrance was a glittering of coy ponds and trees covered in white, blue and green Christmas lights. From that humble and serene spot where one could check his coat and get his first drink it sparked off into a large hallway marked: Destiny. The colorful hallway took visitors into possibly the most exciting and pulsing dance floors in the galaxy. It had everything a dance floor could wish for, a supreme DJ, two full bars, and enough dance platforms and go-go cages to keep every exhibitionist happy. The techno filled sounds of the room were the Den's main attraction, but less crowded attractions also lay in wait. A visitor needing a slow dance and perhaps the wistful tones of a saxophone need only take the elevator marked for Hades to the lower level. There a smoky little jazz-room a waited. The small room was washed in dim blue lights and a stage that on occasion held a swinging quartet, but most often was home to those perilous few who dared karaoke. However, in the main dance room, next to the elevator that brought one down, was a lift that offered more heavenly delights. The upper level was split in two, on one side the finest dining experience anyone could hope for typically named 'Ambrosia'. The other side was a place to try your luck against the gods at nearly anything from video games, to slot machines. Three nights a week, from six to six, the palace of decadence was open to the low and mighty seeking release. With everything well priced, and still brimming with quality Orpheus's Den was a guaranteed success. And no one was happier about the entire thing than one Duo Maxwell, once the God of Death now the keeper of a different kind of salvation.

It was his third month of co-ownership and the impish young man was never more excited about his little venture. Even if it didn't work out the place was well worth the gamble. He had taken the money he earned selling Hilde his share of the junkyard and joined forces with a fellow god to purchase the once decaying nightclub. He made it everything he ever wanted a club to be, and while just a co-owner, took full responsibility for everything. Much to everyone's surprise he was an excellent businessman, and the place ran like a well-oiled machine. He looked at the clock, priming his engines for the nights opening.

It was going to be a great night for business, but more importantly a great night for him. He hadn't seen his large group of friends in over two months, and it had been an equally if not longer time since he had seen everyone all at once. He understood the whys and hows of the separation. Everyone had lives that existed on different colonies, or earth...some with intriguing careers, others following the paths that they always had. His baby blues flashed brightly at the thought of seeing Hilde and Heero especially. Possibly the most functional couple he had ever laid eyes on and to make matters worse his two friends had gotten married without a word to anyone. He heard the doors to the club open, and the rush of feet onto the already primed dance floor. The whirl of elevators and the ka- ching of slot machines slowly filling in the background. He took a deep breath put on his black jacket, and exited his office for the comfort of his friends all gathered around a large table at the restaurant upstairs.

Welcome to my party
How'd you like your drinks
Listen to the music
Isn't it just grand
Welcome the party
Glad to see your face
Hope to see your evening
Over flowing with the best
Welcome
Enjoy the drama and laughter
I'm so sure you won't leave depressed
Welcome
Take a spin `round the dance floor
Take a sip from the bar
Take a bite from the goodies
And ain't we got goodies
Welcome to the party
Welcome to the party
Make sure that when you leave
All your masks remain
Doesn't pay to leave them on
When everyone else is too far gone
Welcome to the party
Welcome...Welcome
Enjoy the show...

Everyone was already waiting at the restaurant. Well everyone but Heero and Hilde. It was, Duo imagined his greatest coup since buying half of the club. He smiled as he ushered all his guests into the private party room. The room was filled with the most delightful and cheesy wedding decorations he could get his hands on. Streamers and gaudy plastic favors hung from every which way. As he shut the door behind him he played the perfect host, jovial and bouncy. There were a few times when the gorgeous blonde with the deep blue eyes had to literally smack him upside the head to calm him down.

"Honestly Duo", Dorothy quipped. "You get so overly emotional about these things."

He smiled and put an unwelcome arm around the young woman, "Ah you know you're just jealous because it'll be at least another year or so before you and that girlfriend of yours get to throw a party like this."

Throwing his arm off she replied, "She's n-"

"Yeah yeah...Not your girlfriend, so you both keep claiming but honestly my beguiling goddess you have to admit you're smitten", he rang in and made his way over to the table that held the cake.

The quiet red head at the table was arranging some paper plates and other necessities, as she glanced up at the cake she tried to keep from tearing up. Catherine secretly wished she had the chance to spend more time with everyone, but her schedule with the circus kept her pretty busy. And she knew it was nearing time for her retirement so she was going to make the most of what she had left. Still though it was terribly romantic the way the celebrated couple had just run off. All silence and mystery it was just like those two. She looked up and caught the impish glance of the party's host and smiled.

"When are you going to put the cake topper on", Duo asked eagerly from across the table.

"In a minute", Catherine replied lightly. "So I see you're going to have a problem tonight."

He looked bewildered by the statement.

She chuckled and pointed around the room. "Three cats in one room, however will you tell us apart?"

"Well it's fairly easy these days, since Dorothy doesn't answer to anything but her name or goddess with Une around", he mentioned with his best straight face.

"Hmm...They do make an interesting pair."

"Yup." He got a little closer, baby blues sparking with delight. "Y'know who else made an `interesting pair? Heero and Hilde...And now look what a mess they've caused. It's the quiet ones you have to beware of."

"Well I guess I shouldn't fear then", Catherine said as she walked off to retrieve the cake topper.

Duo sighed in defeat as the tall young man with the impossible hairstyle quietly sauntered over to him. The normally silent performer arched an eyebrow and smirked.

"When are you going to learn that she will not succumb to your charm"; he asked flatly.

"Trowa, I will learn when she finally says yes. I'm getting close you know."

"Hn. Maybe...but really Duo she isn't dumb and your reputation has proceeded you. Plus she really doesn't go for the young ones", Trowa mentioned softly.

The divinely charming young man rolled his eyes at the comment. "Young ones...You make it sound like she's twenty years older than I am." He looked over his shoulder and spotted one of his security guards. "Beg pardon Trowa old man but I have business to attend to."

And the delights of the night
They never last long
For everything in love
Is but a brief kind
Of dreamy song
And in the end
It always ends

Duo's bright baby blues shifted across the flicker of lights and by strict chance he saw an old acquaintance. From afar he could tell the young man with the ebony eyes was in a low place, so rather than bound he just walked over, tapping the young man on the shoulder.

"Well I never thought I'd see you again", the cheerful host said softly.

The young man focused on his drink. "If I'd have known you owned this place I wouldn't have come", he replied.

"It's good to see you too Wufei", Duo exclaimed. "Actually I didn't think I'd see you. I came down to retrieve some guests."

"Then you should get to them", the dark eyed Preventor stated coldly.

The devilish young man smiled. "I think you should go upstairs and join the party...I'll bet Heero would be happy to see you, and Trowa and Quatre..." He nudged his fellow Gundam pilot playfully. "C'mon make it a proper reunion."

"Hn..." He had to think about it for a moment. "What are you celebrating anyway?"

"I knew you'd come around", Duo laughed. "Well it's a big day...But since I'm sure you didn't see it coming... Heero got married."

"To who", he asked as if not believing any woman was insane enough to venture such a task.

"Not sure you know her", was the peeked reply. "An old friend of mine named Hilde. So you gonna come up or what?"

Wufei wasn't sure if he could stand to be engulfed in the cheer. Wasn't sure he wanted to have fun, but then he never was. The briefest of doubts washed over him but then the permanent smile of Duo Maxwell had a way of charming him into anything. He nodded slowly and stood up.

"Alright", Duo nearly jumped out of his skin. "Now I'm gonna warn you...and you can't go back on your word after you hear it", he sing-songed. "Your boss is upstairs."

"Really", he breezed. "With that Catalonia woman I suppose?"

Duo shrugged and then chuckled, "Yup that's right. You still have to come up. I promise to keep her as far from you as possible...No work tonight. Just lot's of fun."

**And I said let grief
Be a falling leaf
At the dawning of the day**

It became, most expectedly, a standard surprise party. When the couple arrived to the gracious shouts of congratulations they nearly shrank back into the quiet retreat of the restaurant. Heero was most unreceptive, but he accidentally smiled and Duo knew he had done a good job. There was no doubting it was a grand reception and within minutes the party began in earnest. The dinner was decadent, and the conversation was jovial and full of the kind of spirit that suited the occasion. But it was the wedding cake with the Gundam in a top hat standing near an old OZ Mobile suit with a veil that made the evening complete and after a few hours of catching up the group began to dissolve and explore the bounty that the Den had to offer.

After much cajoling and coercing a delighted goddess dragged her companion into the steamy depths of the dance floor for the Latin dance hour. The hazelnut eyes of the older woman seemed to be just ablaze in a kind of warmth no one ever expected she contained. The happy bride ushered the groom into the elevator to Hades, promising he didn't have to sing just listen. Catherine and her boys, as she always called them, went to the playground like casino after Duo mentioned one could gamble on a game of Twister. The red head didn't want to pass up the chance to put her contorting skills to use. The impish host was ready to exit with the trio but noted the ever dark and foreboding cloud that hung over Wufei's head. So excusing himself he stayed back to get to the bottom of the doom and gloom.

"You needn't worry about me", Wufie said but his eyes seemed to be getting darker with every moment he remained in the room.

The gallant trickster shrugged and took a seat. Grabbing one of the many leftover bottles of champagne Duo asked his first question, "So is it girl trouble?"

"No."

"Hmm...Woman trouble?"

"Yes." He took a swig from the bottle as Duo passed it to him. "I need to decide what I'm going to do."

There was a light sigh that escaped him and he leaned back in his chair, "Well there are always many options to be considered. And usually when it comes down to the long and short of it, you already know the answer you seek."

"Wise assumption but little proof to back it up, I know what I want to happen, but it is far from reality." His sober reply was heart wrenching. "What kept you from the Catalonia woman?"

Duo could not stifle his laugh, after calming himself and stealing the bottle from Wufei he replied, "She did. Besides I don't think...as fun as it could have been...I don't think we'd be able to handle each other for that long. As she once said `It's fun to play, but so nice when the game can end and just drown in comforting arms'. I take her at her word with that. She's not so haughty as some make her out to be. But back to you now...Who ever she is you've never told her have you?"

"It seems a wasted effort. Besides I haven't been much help to her...In trying to defend her I push her away and..." He paused as a breathy chuckle left him, "Why didn't you become a preacher? I've never confessed so much in my life."

The familiar light hearted shrugged once again appeared. "So you blew it already huh?"

"Sort of."

"Well then what are you gonna do to fix it?"

"Give her the time she needs to recover, and hope I didn't cause too much damage."

Duo nodded as he finished off the bottle. "Sounds good, so you know what you need to do...Now!" He stood up with an excited jump. "Let's go have some fun...I think I know a craps table that has your name on it."

***Te doy lo que soy y lo que siento
Un oceano azul en un desierto
Unas alas que vuelas mas alla de los vientos
Un diluvio de gotas de sudor...de amantes de amor se mueren***

As was expected nearing the end of the evening everyone ended up in the karaoke bar. The last of the stragglers making their entrance as Une slipped into the last verse of the song she was singing. Her voice wrapped around the smoky edges of the Spanish song with sublime ease and it was clear that the song was something she had known for a very long time. The host of the evening's festivities was about to make a curt remark but before he could he saw the look on the goddess's face and reconsidered. Dorothy looked like a schoolgirl watching a teen idol perform on stage. Her deep blue eyes so focused on the older woman that nothing else in the room seemed to matter.

"Not her girlfriend indeed", Duo muttered.

***Pero no, no me pidas que te de la luna...
No te doy la luna llena porque es la eterna rosa***

Une left the stage politely when she finished, enjoying the applause but more over she was intrigued by the expression on her companion`s face. She smiled and brushed back her slightly damp brown hair. All the dancing she had done was beginning to wear on her. The goddess looked as though she wanted to say something but couldn't find the exact words. So Une took the uncertain cue and leaned across the table to claim the blonde's lips for a brief moment. The romance of the act lost as Duo stood from his seat and spoke into the mike.

"Ok enough with the touchy feely stuff", he commanded lightly. He took the glare the two women gave him as a compliment. "Alright so here we all are in my club."

There was a noticeable cough in the background.

"I mean our club"; he corrected himself. "I'd never forget you own this place too Mistress Catalonia...I mean you are the money backing this operation...Anyway...Here we all are celebrating what is sure to be one of many weddings." He dodged the steel pointed look from his partner and continued, "Now as is tradition...or at least as I'm making tradition...everyone on the stage for the big group sing."

There were some well-warranted groans of irritation from the crowd.

"I mean it everyone celebrating Heero and Hilde's union in matrimony must take the stage...including you Heero. I promise to keep the microphone as far from you as I can."

With much moaning a groaning everyone, including Wufei and Heero (whom it must be said agreed that this was a clear case of injustice) graced the stage. After passing out the mikes and secretly selecting a song the large slightly intoxicated group prepared themselves for doom. And without a second to lose the music began and the group set into the song with shaky ease.

*I just feel Rhythm Emotion
I just feel love forever and more
Only to you, I'm sending my heartbeat so far way
Time is on; I wanna spend my life to get the reason why I'm so hot
Look at me, there is no tears for fears now in my eyes
You made my mind brave and you made me find
Place where to be with you, I'm ready for holding you so tight
I just feel Rhythm Emotion
I just feel light forever and more
Only to be, I'm leading myself to brighter way out, it's so far away
I just feel Rhythm Emotion
I just feel love forever and more
Only to you, I'm sending my heartbeat so far away*

They were both so tired they could barely breathe. But they managed to stand and exit the club and get back to Dorothy's flat without falling to sleep. They didn't get any further than the large and comfy couch that sat so neatly in the living room. The blonde wished they could stay in the small flat for months but as always duty called, and Une had to be back on Earth in the afternoon. The ex-colonel was surprised when she managed to get things settled enough to leave Preventor Headquarters for two nights. For the time being it was heaven just to lie on the couch and relax. Blue and brown eyes were seconds from giving up, shutting in weary ease as the blonde snuggled just a bit closer to the slightly taller woman. And when sleep was a heartbeat away three words slipped from the older woman's lips without a care. Fell to the ground as easy as an expelled breath.

"I love you."

And the reply was just as instantly released, "I love you too."

There was a moment when the wear of the evening almost captured them, but suddenly both women were wide-awake.

"You love me", Dorothy asked in total shock.

"Yes." Hazelnut colored eyes shut for a moment and then asked hurriedly, "You love me?"

"Yes." The confession fainted away as she fell into the arms of the woman next to her, and then she chuckled, "Well that certainly puts an end to that."

"What?"

"Saying you aren't my girlfriend."

"Yes, I suppose we'll have to do something about that", was the soft reply. "You don't think this coming too easy do you?"

"You mean everything's so perfect it can't possibly last", Dorothy questioned. "Oh no...I don't believe something has to be difficult in order for it to be right. And...It is right isn't it?"

There was no verbal reply. Just soft lips that moved over hers and the steady pull back into the couch. The astute rhythm of sleep waiting to answer every question they had. And the questions they had really didn't need answers. All the answers were already buried in the three words both had let escape so easily.

And for the briefest of moments
I knew all of you
I knew every dream
And heartbeat
And for the briefest of moments I knew
Yes I knew
There was nothing left to keep us apart



Continued…