Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ What Happens When You Pull Duo's Braid in Chemistry ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

What Happens When You Pull Duo's Braid In Chemistry

Warnings: mild shonen ai, jock dissin'

Setting: Same high school. Sequel to What Happens When You Pull Duo's Braid In Gym Class

Disclaimers: Gundam Wing characters belong to Mixx Entertainment, Koichi Tokita, the SOTSU Agency, Sunrise, Kodansha and anyone I may have forgotten, not to me. I make no money off of this.

The five gundam pilots, all at one table, waited patiently as the chemistry class experiment got underway. Duo grinned and bounced happily in his seat, waiting for the bunsen burners to be handed out. He pretended to let Heero take it as the teacher glared at him, but even Heero felt a little lift in his spirits as he took the potentially lethal object. Wufei eased back into the corner as he watched them handle it, but Quatre and Trowa leaned forward, though they were mostly interested in the chemicals that were to follow.

Why do I feel so nervous giving a burner to those five? the teacher wondered. They haven't done anything wrong...but still...she shrugged off her apprehension as she finished handing things out. At least the nice blonde student is with them, and his quiet friend. I'm sure they'll keep the other three from getting into trouble.

"When is she going to pass the magnesium out?" Quatre sighed. "I wanna see if it's true."

Wufei smirked, pretending to take insult. "Don't you trust me?"

"But will it really light up with just a spark?" Quatre whispered.

Wufei nodded. "There was a boy I knew back on my colony who filled his sword hilt with magnesium to make it lighter. When we crossed swords in practice, our blades sparked and his hilt exploded." He chuckled to himself, his eyes turning dark with his sense of humor. "Actually, the look on his face was worth the blown practice."

"Here it is," Trowa said softly as the teacher came near.

A pile of magnesium strips was placed on the center of the table, along with a pair of tongs and a glass beaker. Duo immediately reached for one, but Heero slapped his hand back with a warning glare.

"I don't want a repeat of the last school we were in," he said firmly.

"What happened?" Quatre asked.

"I made a test tube explode," Duo explained mournfully. "It left a charred circle on the ceiling. They wouldn't let me play with the burners after that."

Trowa silently moved the burner out of Duo's reach.

"All right, class," the teacher called out. "You may begin. Remember the safety rules and that these things aren't toys." She then walked behind her desk and put on a white hazmat suit, just in case. Hey, she was a high school teacher, she had prior experience.

"Goodie," Quatre smiled, picking up a spare piece of magnesium with the tongs and holding it up to the flame. His eyes lit up in wonder as it flared brightly and burned up. "Ooh..."

"Ow!" Duo suddenly cried, hands going to his braid.

Heero snapped to attention, glaring at him until he realized Duo wasn't at fault. He recognized the same jocks they had defeated at frisbee football earlier that week sitting behind them, sniggering cruelly.

Duo brought his braid around to his front, nursing it as if had been violently abused instead of merely pulled. Heero was about to tell him to stop overreacting when he noticed that Duo's eyes were far too bright. His little Duo was holding back tears of pain!

"Omae o korosu," he stated flatly, even though the jocks had already gone back to trying to read the experiment instructions. Heero grabbed a handful of the magnesium, put it in the test tube, and held the test tube over the flame. For a moment, nothing happened. And then suddenly--

*POP*

The ball of magnesium, pushed up violently by the pressure at the bottom, blasted out of the small tube up into the air like a gunshot, rising to the ceiling before landing soundly on the jocks' table. Specifically, it landed on their own scattered magnesium.

With a magnificent flash, their table lit on fire and the jocks scattered wildly, screaming like school girls. The rest of the class flew into panic, knocking down bits of burning metal.

Wufei sighed and looked out the window wistfully. "So much for incognito..." he said softly. "At least the mission was just about done."

"Who did that?!" the teacher yelled once she crawled out from under the desk.

"It was the jock's magnesium that went up!" Duo yelled. He grinned at his bemused friends. "Hey, it's not a lie, it's their stuff that went up!"

"Oh, that explains it," the teacher said, nodding. "Calm down, put your own fires out, and get back to work."

"What?" Quatre gasped. "That's it? That's all the trouble they're going to get into?"

"They're jocks," Trowa sighed. "They could kill someone and they would only get a slap on the wrist."

"Ow!" Duo cried out again as the captain of the football team once again jerked his hair.

"That's it," Heero growled. He grabbed the bunsen burner and messed with the knobs controlling the gas flow. He started to laugh wildly in anticipation, ignoring the stares he was getting. "I'll show them. I'll destroy the entire football team!"

"Uh oh, Heero's got that manic look again," Duo warned.

"Quickly, under the table!" Wufei said, diving down as the other three pilots did the same.

Above them, Heero somehow defied the laws of physics and made the burning gas at the top of the burner flow backwards into the gas line. All the bunsen burners exploded a split second before the science department's gas line exploded, followed by the entire school's gas source exploding.

When the pilots dared to look up again, the table and the chair Heero sat on were all that remained. People lay scattered on what remained of the school grounds, dazed and confused but ultimately unhurt. Except, of course, for the jocks. One by one the football players rained down from the sky smelling of burnt jerseys and athletic supporters.

"What's that noise?" Quatre suddenly asked.

Heero, whose hair had been blasted backward and his face blackened, looked up at the skyline as he saw pieces of buildings falling from the clouds. "The entire town's blowing up."

"He ignited the city," Trowa said.

"Heero!" Wufei snapped. "How could you be so careless?"

Duo sighed and shrugged. "I don't think it was careless. He's done this before."

Heero grinned, still laughing, and slid off the chair. "We'd better get to our gundams before Oz troops get here."

Duo smiled and helped the other pilots up. "See, the teachers know enough to get the burners out of my hands. They don't find out about Heero until it's too late."

Wufei rolled his eyes, dismayed by the dark stains on his once-pristine white pants. "Or until someone pulls your braid in chem class."

The End