Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ When Worlds Collide ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

When Worlds Collide

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters and I don't claim to that is the whole point of a disclaimer, I guess. I am simply using the characters to fulfill my desired plot, as it seemed to suit them, somewhat. I don't have anything to give you so suing won't do you any good. What am I still babbling for? On with the story.

Chapter 3

"What in the world is going on?" a shocked Hilde asked out loud.

"My guess is this is what Longou had in mind when he said he could wipe out the humans." Quatre said.

"But then wouldn't you think that the funnel would be coming this way and not going further into the sky?" asked Relena.

"Maybe something went wrong." Quatre answered. "If it has gone wrong you can bet your life that he is not going to be happy about this."

The four other elves nodded their agreement while watching the funnel. After about three minutes the sky seemed to have reached it's limits and began to retreat backwards. It didn't stop when it was flat again; it stretched to form a funnel on this side not unlike the one that it had formed on the other.

"It's coming this way." Relena said her voice raised a bit.

"No way! It can't be!" Hilde said. "Why would Longou make it come to an elvish manor?"

"The spell must have gotten out of his control." Relena said, as she, being a mage apprentice, was the only one who could answer.

"So what are we supposed to do now?" Quatre asked in a shaky voice that betrayed his calm face.

"We can't do anything." Relena replied. "It has honed in on us. The funnel will follow where ever we go."

In the next minute the funnel had descended so much that the group's hair and cloths were blowing everywhere. Just before the funnel touched down, Relena saw her father sprinting across the lawn to where they stood. As she and the others were pulled into the now receding funnel, all Relena could do was wave good-bye to her father.

When the funnel finally deposited them on the ground, the five young elves were dizzy and disoriented. After a minute, their heads had quit spinning enough so that they could stand up. Looking around they couldn't see anything that looked familiar. In the distance they could make out the shape of about five buildings as well as the shape of some people - be them human or elvish - walking between the buildings.

"Does anyone know where we are?" Hilde asked.

"I don't have a clue." Quatre answered. "Why don't we go to that settlement and see what we can find out."

After about a minute, when no objection was heard, the five elves walked over to where the buildings were.

"Hey Heero, come over here a minute." Cathy called to Heero who was sitting on the stairs of one of the cabins that they had found after they had been deposited . . . wherever they were.

"What do you want, Cathy?" Heero asked as he made his way leisurely over to where Cathy was standing in the middle of the circle that the five structures formed.

"Do you see five shadows out there?" Cathy said pointing in the direction that she indicated.

Heero shielded his eyes from the sun and looked where she was pointing. Her eyes weren't playing tricks on her. There were five shadowy figures coming this way though he really had to squint to tell that they belonged to a person. Man, Heero thought, that girl has really good eyesight.

"Yes I see them, though I can't tell anything about them," confirmed Heero.

"We should tell everyone else." Cathy replied at once. "We don't know anything about them, so we don't want to be caught off guard."

"That's a very defensive and strategic way of thinking." Heero said thoroughly surprised.

"Your right," said an equally surprised Cathy. "I wonder where that came from?"

"Don't know but it is good advice, so lets follow it." Heero told her. "You find Dorothy and Sally. I'll find the braided baka."

Cathy merely nodded before starting off in the direction she had seen the other two girls go in. Glancing in all directions as she walked Cathy thought she caught a glimpse of blonde hair through the window of one of the buildings. Cathy turned and walked through the door and found what looked to be a very old general store. Towards the back of the store she heard her two friends giggling. As silently as she could, Cathy made her way towards her friends.

"What are you two doing?" Cathy shouted when she was right behind the two girls. This caused the girls to hit the ceiling and Cathy to start laughing.

"That was so not funny, Cathy." Sally scolded her, her hand over her heart.

"Yeah, it was," was the impish reply from an impish looking Cathy.

"Your turn will come, then it will be us who's laughing." Dorothy said shaking her head.

"Yeah right, in your dreams," Cathy scuffed. "Anyway, what were you two laughing about when I walked in?"

"Take a look at these clothes." Sally said indicating the wall behind her.

On the wall were pictures of outfits she would like to have. There were also pictures of what Heero or Duo might be comfortable in. Looking further to one side she saw what looked to be costumes as the style looked to be something a grand lady of old would have worn. Yet the pictures had an, other worldly feel to them. Beside these were also pictures of men's garb from the same time period but that other worldly sense clung to them as well.

"I don't see anything funny," Cathy stated. "All I see are pictures for patterns."

"Ok, but don't you think that it's a little odd that they would have the costumes on display as well as the clothes?" Sally asked trying to make her point.

"No." was Cathy's reply. "Ya know some of these aren't that bad. I would wear a couple of these designs."

"What ever you say there." Dorothy said rolling her eyes. "So why did you come and find us?"

"Oh right. I was just to tell you that we are going to be having some company." Cathy replied casually.

"What do you mean when you say company?" Sally asked kind edgy.

"Not totally sure about that one," admitted Cathy; "all that I know for sure is that there are five people walking in this general direction."

"Do the guys know?" Dorothy asked as she headed for the door.

"Heero was with me when I spotted them. He went to find Duo." Cathy explained as she and Sally followed Dorothy.

"We should still go see them," Dorothy paused a second, her eyes scanning over the other buildings to try and catch sight of the guys.

"There they are, over there." Sally said pointing to a building in the opposite direction where the two had just come from.

"Let's go them." Dorothy said, as she walked away not stopping to see if the other girls were following her.

As they got closer they could see the set looks that Heero and Duo wore. The girls were used to such a look on Heero, but to see the same look on Duo's face shocked them. The two boys started in the girls' direction, clearly they wanted to talk.

"So where are these people?" Duo asked when they all stood in a circle.

"They're coming from that direction." Cathy said indicating the gap between Sally and Heero.

Sally, Dorothy, and Duo all looked. Sure enough there were five shapes making their way in the direction of the settlement.

"Well, that's just great." Dorothy sarcastically said. "So what do we do now?"

"We get ourselves armed." Heero stated.

"Love to Heero," Sally began, "but only you and Cathy have weapons."

"That's where you're wrong." Duo told her. "Follow me."

As Duo turned and began to retrace his steps, the girls exchanged a look of doubt. After a second Cathy shrugged her shoulders and began to follow Duo back to the building that he had come out of. When they reached the doorway, Cathy, Sally and Dorothy all stopped.

The building turned out to be an armory. To one side there was an assortment of poll arms, axes, and shields. On the wall opposite the door was a collection of different swords, knives, and daggers. The left wall supported a variety of different armors - from chain mail to leather studded jerkins. The three girls slowly walked into the room, eyes darting wildly around trying to take everything in at once. When they turned back towards the door they could see different kinds of bows on each side of the door. There were recurves and a bow that was similar yet unknown to them on one side, while longbows and crossbows decorated the other.

"Do you think that you can find something to suit you in here?" Duo asked his three female friends with a smug smile.

"I think that we will be able to find something to suit us and more," was the awe filled response from Sally.

"Then lets get that done." Heero told everyone in a very commanding voice as he walked over to the wall with the poll arms.

Heero's voice seemed to snap the girls out the daze that they had been in. With a shared look between them the three girls walked to the opposite wall to find their weapons while Duo was picking out a bow, quiver and string. Sally was able to find a katana that she could have sworn had been made for her. The balance was perfect and weighted just how she liked it. The scabbard was plain black so was the hilt. Satisfied with her weapon, Sally moved away from her friends to do some warm-ups.

Duo found a bow that suited him well just as Sally moved away with her katana. It was a long bow made of cedar. (I don't know what type of wood is usually used for bows so bear with me. If you know please tell me so that I can fix it.) It was strong and well balanced. Duo could bend it with minimal effort. After selecting a quiver full of arrows and a couple extra strings, Duo slung the quiver over his shoulder as he moved over to select a sword. Duo hadn't been looking very long before he had found a sword that he really liked. It was a Toledo sword that had a plain hilt and scabbard. The blade however looked like an expert had forged it and the balance was perfect. That done, Duo went over to the armor wall and picked out arm guards.

While Dorothy was trying to find a sword, she noticed that on the wall was also an assortment of different throwing stars. There were your regular stars as well as ones with the points cut in about three different ways. Though she would have loved to use the more decoratively cut stars, Dorothy chose the plainly cut ones as she knew that she could throw them with deadly accuracy, almost as good as Cathy with her daggers. After picking out a belt and pouch of stars, Dorothy went back to trying to find a sword. She tried several that felt good yet not right in her hand. Finally she found one that felt right as well as good in her hand. It turned out to be a short sword that had a hilt where the crosspiece curled slightly backwards as well as a leather-covered scabbard. Satisfied with her weapons, Dorothy went over to look at Dou's bow.

Though she had dagger enough for the coming battle, Cathy couldn't stop herself from looking for a couple when she knew that she should be trying to find a sword. Within a couple minutes, Cathy had picked out a dirk, dagger and a set of six mini ninja knives to add to her arsenal of knives. As she clipped her set of ninja knives on her belt, Cathy let her eyes roam over the swords that hung on the wall. Cathy was just about to reach of a very elegant sword that she didn't know the name of when a claimore to the right caught her eye. It wasn't anything special but the sword seemed to be calling to her. The fact that the sword fit perfectly in her hand didn't surprise her. There was something about this sword that seemed really familiar, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it. Satisfied with the sword she put it on her belt and started her warm ups.

Heero let his fingers slide over the different spears, staffs, axes and halberds trying to find one that would suit him. Heero picked up a halberd then put it back, as the balance was all wrong. He then tried a spear with a cheery wood handle but found it weighted wrong. Discarding it he tried another spear, this one was made of oak. The balance and weight were perfect. Heero twirled it in a circle to feel the movement of the weapon and found it very smooth. Happy, Heero went to look for a sword. By passing the fancier ones, Heero went straight to the section that had a few broad swords. Again he let his fingers glide over the different blades. As if on it's own accord Heero's hand stopped and picked up the sword it was passing over. It had a plain hilt and a sheath that looked like it had vines growing around it. After taking a few practice swings Heero decided that the sword would do and placed it on his belt. Looking around he noticed that everyone was finishing up choosing his or her weapons.

"Is everyone ready?" Heero asked drawing everyone's attention together. Once everyone nodded, he continued, "Everyone pick a building and stay out of site. Duo, actually I would like to stay here. It is the most out of the way building and you have the most powerful long-range weapon."

"Right," replied Duo as everyone made their way to the door.

Once out side Heero, Cathy, Dorothy and Sally split up. Heero and Cathy headed to the buildings closest to where the people would be entering the area. Sally and Cathy went their separate ways towards the other two buildings. Within five minutes all five sat watching and waiting for who ever, was coming, to arrive. As she sat there, Cathy got an uneasy feeling, like something bad was going to happen.

The walk to the buildings was taking longer than they had anticipated. The five elves had seen a lot of the figures go into one of the buildings. The figures had been in there for about twenty minutes, but only four of the five came out. Those four each went towards a different building and didn't reappear.

"Be on your guard," Wufei told the others, "we could be walking into a trap."

The others elves nodded their agreement as they made sure that they would be able to get to their weapons if the need arose. The remainder of their journey was over more quickly than they had expected.

As casually as they could while being cautious, the five elves made their way into the perimeter of the circle. They hadn't gotten that far when a voice told them to identify themselves. Relena stepped forward, as negotiating was her area of expertise though no other elf other than the circle of friends knew it.

"We have some hoe been transported here and only wish to know where we are so that we may get home." Relena said stepping forward again. "We don't want any trouble."

"Even though you don't want trouble some times you get it." called a female voice from the building on their right.

That voice sounds oddly familiar, Quatre thought. It almost sounds like my little sister's voice, but that is impossible. She went back to her world with her father.

"Is that a challenge?" Wufei shouted back.

"No, but it could be if you wanted it to be." challenged a different female voice.

"We meant what we said before," Quatre began, "we don't want any trouble."

That voice, a voice that she hadn't heard since childhood. It was enough to startle her so that she dropped her dagger. It clattered to the floor. She hadn't thought that it had been that loud, but it must have been as all five strangers standing out side her hiding place looked her way.

"Who's there?" the blue haired female called looking just about right at her. "We know your there, so why don't you just come out?"

Cathy couldn't explain why she stood up and walked out of her hiding place, but she did. When she walked out into the bright light she had to pause for a minute. Once her eyes were adjusted she gazed at the people standing there. One of them she noted was staring at her more intently than the others.

He looks so much like Quatre did, Cathy mused, but Quatre would be way older by now. But look at him, a tiny voice argued, he recognizes you. He is your brother. Cathy looked at the young man once again. He took a small step towards her, hope clouding his eyes. All at once Cathy knew without a doubt that this young man was her brother. A smile spread across her face while tears came to her eyes.

When Quatre saw the smile and the tears, he knew with all his heart that the young woman standing in front of him was indeed his little sister. Though he should have known better, he started running towards her.

As soon as Quatre started running towards her, Cathy felt like a pail of icy cold water had been dumped on her. Cathy looked around to see where the danger was coming from. Cathy found it in the form of an arrow heading straight for her brother. Not thinking about what she was doing, Cathy launched herself off of the veranda racing the arrow to her brother. It was going to be close but Cathy was sure that she was going to make it.

Make it she did. Cathy knocked Quatre out of the arrow's path just in time. Doing that however didn't leave her any time to get out of the way of the arrow. Cathy ended up taking it in the shoulder. Stunned Cathy stood there looking down at the arrow for a couple seconds before darkness started to claim her. She heard several cries of 'Nooo' just before falling into the black void but none was louder than the cry of her brother.

************************************

TBC……&hel lip;……………

AN how did you like it? I know that cathy and quatre aren't really siblings and that quatre is the youngest but it is my story and what I say goes. I hope that it was worth the wait. r&r.