Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Words of the Heart ❯ Part Eleven: Hold ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Eleven: Hold
Summary: Even if it hurts, hold me tight. Duo just can't let go.
 
 
Hold
 
 
The knock on his door at six in the evening could have been anyone.
A door-to-door sales man.
An irritating Jehovah's Witness.
Damien, apologizing for our horrible date.
Hell, it could have been a traveling gypsy for all I knew. Truthfully, I was kinda expecting the Chinese food I had ordered nearly twenty minutes ago.
I really wasn't expecting to see Heero's sodden form darkening my doorstep, duffle bag and all.
His dark blue eyes were shadowed as he stared at me through the little half window of my door. “Duo.”
His voice was muffled by the glass but I could've heard him a million miles away. I swallowed thickly. “What are you doing here?”
Shifting impatiently, Heero shook some of the water from his dripping bangs. “Are you going to let me in?”
Typical Heero, he never did answer my questions.
I was tempted- oh so tempted- to say no and turn my back on him, but I knew that my lov- my ex-lover had no problem with breaking my window and gaining access to my apartment himself.
“Whatever.” I said, casually turning to knob as my insides tried to shake me apart. Jesus, Heero was here, in my apartment…with me. I wanted to cry and hug him tightly. I wanted to cry and punch him hard.
Mostly, I just wanted to cry, and the presence of his duffle bag wasn't helping.
I couldn't stop my eyes from closing against the painfully wonderful sight…. hell, maybe closed eyes couldn't cry.
Cool, slightly damp hands came to rest gently, but oh so firmly, under my jaw. My eyes slowly drifted open as my head was tilted up and inspected.
“You're too pale. Too thin.” Heero's face was creeping closer as he spoke. “No one has been taking care of you.” Just inches from my lips he demanded, “Let me take care of you.”
Old wounds and new hurts made me pull away and shake my head. “I'm not yours to take care of anymore.”
Shock slackened his hands, making it easier to let him go completely. I cleared my throat nervously and couldn't look him in the eye. “You should go now, Heero.”
That got a reaction.
“You won't even let me explain?” He asked, anger finally coloring his voice. I stood straight and unyielding under his fury. Payback's a bitch huh?
“It was your decision Heero, and you made it. I'm not arguing with you anymore, I'm not going to be this huge distraction and you can go off and single-handedly make sure peace lives on forever. Aren't you satisfied?”
Okay, so maybe that came out a bit bitter, but if anyone had the right these days it was me.
“I'm sorry Duo.” Heero said softly, hopefully. Like sorry could make everything all better.
I nodded regretfully. “So am I.”
“Damn it Duo!” He shouted. “What do you want from me?!”
“I want you to leave me alone!”
It honestly took me a moment to realize that brittle, pained shout had come from me. I blinked and continued. “I can't do this with you Heero. It's never going to end and you're never going to change so-“
“I've quit the Preventers.”
What?
What?!
“What?!?”
Heero looked oddly young as he spoke. “I- I never meant to hurt you. That break was a mistake, my biggest mistake and- and peace doesn't need me, Duo. Can you believe it? We can finally relax….together if you just give me one more chance to make this right.”
God, but I wanted to believe him, but you don't have to get bitten more than once to learn from your mistakes. I'd gotten my whole hand chewed off in this mess. More like my heart really. It all came down to believing whether or not Heero meant it when he said it would be different.
“And when the next threat to peace comes?” I asked, coldly. “It's-“
“Not my problem.” Heero cut me off. “Not anymore.”
I trembled with the need to feel his arms around me and somehow, he knew it. Strong, warm arms circled me swiftly and held on as if something might swoop in and steal me away. As if I might slip away and fall into the darkness if Heero ever let me go.
Even though I felt my ribs protest, I hoped he wouldn't let up.
“Hold me tight, Heero.”
Even if it hurts, hold me tight.