Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sangheili Pirate in the UNSC ❯ Meeting of Old Friends ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

508 Hours, August 7, 2547 (Military Calendar)\Deep Space
He glanced around, feeling a chill blow across his back. He heard the noise of hydraulics and several enormous feet walk across the darken street. He was on a planet, a human world—ruined by Covenant forces. The city was dark. Support beams of buildings fell over onto the broken up pavement as loose, live wires wiggled about like snakes being strangled. Sparks flared up and danced across the wet street and steam rose up from the sidewalk. Aside from the movement of some sort of unseen, mechanical monster, it was quiet. Telek breathed heavily, keeping his guard up. In his hand were a plasma pistol and his other hand rested upon the emitter of his plasma sword—ready to draw it at any sudden movement. He heard the yaw of a cat in a dark alley and water drip down from a hanging pipe above him. Then, he heard something move in the rubble of mortar and metal shards. Something pushed through the rubble and a hand rose up. Telek ignited his sword, providing some illumination for him as he raised his rifle up to whomever or whatever that crawled out of that pile. He blinked bewilderedly as he watched a pale-skinned, blonde-haired, thin looking, human girl crawl out of the rubble. He could see her exhaustion even from where he stood and saw the wounds on her face and arms. She saw him and a flash of fear appeared in her eyes. The child whimpered and leapt down from the rubble, dashing off as quickly as she could down the dark alley.
Wait!” Telek cried. “Wait! You're hurt! I'm not gonna harm you!”
He bolted down the alley after her, putting away both his sword and his rifle. He got out a plasma flare instead to help light the way. The city itself seemed so dark, even for his eyesight. Telek's powerful legs carried him far and he swiftly caught up with the child.
Wait!” he cried again. “Little girl! Let me help you!”
Then, he heard it come stomping dangerously down the lane before them. The girl froze in terror, her mouth open, but she was unable to scream. Telek glanced up, wide-eyed as he saw the foot of the Scarab slam down deathly close to the child. He leapt out and grabbed her, snatching her away just before another foot came down again—saving her from being squashed by the mechanical automaton. He crouched down over her, holding her close as the Scarab slowly lumbered impassively by them. As soon as the Scarab was gone, the girl struggled loose from Telek's grip and ran from him once more.
Wait a minute!” Telek called again. “You're hurt! I can help.”
He got back up and rushed off to follow her back down the dark alley from whence they both came. Then, he heard her scream and his legs picked up their pace. As soon as he cleared the alley he found her dangling by the throat kicking and screaming in the large hands of Tartarus, Chieftain of the Jiralhanae. In his other hand was the Fist of Rutk. Tartarus turned to Telek and chuckled.
Tartarus!” Telek cried. “Let her go, now!”
No,” Tartarus replied gruffly. He squeezed his hand tighter and Telek heard the neck of the girl snap. The hairy `brute' tossed the child aside and stood in his fighting stance.
What have you done?” Telek asked. “A child, an innocent child! I'll make you pay for that!”
He ignited his sword and kicked off, bounding towards the Jiralhanae. Just as he was about to strike, a blue flash cut across his vision. He felt something wet spill itself down his chest and he fell to the ground. He glanced down and noticed that his body was sliced in half. Telek's eyes roved up and saw another Sangheili standing before him dressed in gold and copper armor with a purple cloak draped across his shoulders.
Otto…” he breathed just as darkness closed in on him.
Otto…
“Otto!” Telek bellowed as he was suddenly jerked back from his nightmare. He gasped and rose himself off his bed. Coming to a sitting position, he leaned over and held his head in his hands, shaking it in dismay. He had that dream again, that same dream over and over for the past month. There was the child, there was Tartarus, and then there was Otto, and Telek could do nothing to save the child from being killed. Telek reached down under his bed and pulled out a bottle of rum. Holding it up, he sighed in disappointment, staring at its emptiness.
“Why is the rum always gone?” he asked in misery and idly tossed the bottle aside. Telek's head jerked up when he heard a chiming sound coming from his quarter's door.
“Excellency?” called the muffled voice of Shri `Canthonee from behind the door. “They're here, Excellency. Tekn wanted me to inform you.”
“Thank you, Shri,” Telek grunted as he sluggishly rose up off his bed. He wobbled with heavy drunken hooves towards his closet door and pulled out his red bathrobe. Placing it on, he tied the not and reached for his helmet to put on his head. Then, Telek dragged his hooves over to the door and opened it up. And there was Shri with arms crossed, staring at him in scrutiny.
“You're not gonna meet up with them dressed like that, are you?” she asked.
“Why not?” Telek protested. “It's my ship.”
“My gods…” she huffed. “What kind of impression do we want to put on them with you dressed in your bedclothes and bathrobe?”
“Where's my Irish Coffee?” Telek asked, completely ignoring her question.
“Here, you lazy-assed bastard,” Shri snorted, shoving the mug to him.
Telek took a sip of it and then promptly spat it out: “This doesn't have whiskey in it!”
“You're not going in there hammered,” Shri said. “You're gonna be sober and properly dressed. Now get in there and get your armor on! Now, drink that coffee. It's obvious you're having a hang-over.”
Telek growled again and sipped his coffee, returning to his room to get fully dressed. As soon as he came out, he and Shri walked down to the bridge. Shri waited outside as the doors closed and Telek stepped onto the elevated platform of the ship's main control room. Standing in the center of the semi-circle of holographic screens was Tekn `Morudee. Telek sipped his coffee again, rubbing his eyes sleepily and turned to face the main view screen on the far wall before him. He saw a familiar face, a human with black, tightly curled hair and dark, chocolate-colored skin. The humans termed this coloration to be a part of a particular race in their species called Africans or Blacks. The human pigmentation was similar to Telek's own pebbly skin.
“Captain Donald Reynolds,” Telek said, clearing his voice. “Nice to see you again. To what do I owe the pleasure?”
“Ship Master Telek `Herosee,” Don grinned back. “Sorry, did I wake you?”
“Me?” he asked. “Nah. Just resting up for my shift. It's hard being a working man. So, you called us some time ago, wanting to set up this meeting. It's taken about a year for something like this to happen.”
“We had to watch you and see if we could fully trust you, Telek,” said Don. “I mean, we're talking about one of our planets here. I just can't lead a ship like yours there on a whim. I had to make sure—the UNSC had to make sure that it could trust you.”
“Can you?” Telek asked.
“I think we can,” he replied. “But first, we need to scourer your ship to make sure no Covenant tracking devices are on it.”
“We checked all four ships ourselves,” Telek said. “No tracking devices. The day we defected and started running from the Covenant, we had no choice but to get rid of all of them. I don't want anyone following us.”
“Yes, but you still deal very closely with the Covenant,” said Don. “Especially with your pirating. And it'll make me feel comfortable.”
“What's this all about, Don?” Telek asked.
Don leaned back in his chair and chuckled: “I'll tell you when I come aboard. I'm bringing my away team over to do the search on your ship—as well as the other three ships. I've already spoken to the other Ship Masters and they've allowed my men on board.”
“Are they searching now?”
“Yes,” Don replied. “So far, they've come up with nothing. Cujo, Tulsa, and Mitsu are being very cooperative.”
“Cooperative…” Telek sighed. “They—know what's necessary. I still like to know what's going on. Can't you bring the Admiral out here to meet me?”
“No,” he replied. “Mostly because of whom you'd be meeting when we get there as well.”
“And who is that?” Telek asked.
“That's the surprise,” Don grinned back.
“Donald,” Telek began, raising a finger at him. “I'll let you know right now that I hate surprises.”
“Well, get over it, you crazy pirate,” Don said.
Telek chuckled: “Alright, come aboard. I'll be waiting in the cargo hold when you get here. We'll have breakfast.”
“Lunch for me, Telek,” said Don.
“Brunch it is then!” Telek said. “See you when you get over here.”
“Sure thing,” Don said as his image disappeared. Telek turned back to Tekn and crossed his arms.
“Make sure the chef knows we're having guests,” he said. “They like human food, so feed them that.”
“Yes, Excellency,” Tekn nodded. “But, what is this all about?”
“I don't know,” he replied. “But whatever it is, we'll have to make them comfortable while they're doing it. Get my technicians out there and ready to assist the team in the inspection.”
“Yes, Excellency,” Tekn said.
Telek headed for the door and walked out. Shri caught up with him and both of them walked down towards the cargo hold of the massive assault carrier the Shade of Darkness. As soon as they were in the cargo hold, Telek turned towards several of his own technicians and some armed guards who stood off in the wings, waiting for the transport to arrive carrying their new human allies. Telek glanced up as he saw a Pelican approach the opening of the cargo hold.
“Turn off primary shielding,” Telek said to the operator near him.
There were two shielding emitters for the cargo holds in the carrier. One was to keep oxygen in, and the other was to protect the ship from being boarded. The Pelican slowly entered just as the main shielding came down and landed near a Spirit drop ship. Telek watched as the back end of the human air craft opened up and several naval personnel as well as Marines walked out. Then, Telek saw Donald step out from the Pelican. The big Sangheili slowly approached the human and held out his gloved hand.
“Captain Reynolds,” Telek began. “Welcome aboard the Shade of Darkness.”
Don took Telek's hand and shook it: “Thank you, Ship Master. I must say this is the first time I have ever been on board a Covenant ship. You guys have a lot of purple lights.”
Telek chuckled: “We like to accessorize. Shri!”
“Yes, Excellency,” Shri said.
“Take these men along with our technician for the inspection,” he said.
“Yes, Excellency,” she said. “Please, follow me.”
Telek watched as Shri led the human and Sangheili technicians away, then he turned back to Don.
“Well, follow me, I'll show you to the VIP dining hall,” he said.
“Sure thing,” Don smiled as he followed Telek.
“So, tell me, what's this all about?” Telek asked. “I hate to be kept in suspense.”
“I'll tell you when we get to the dining hall,” said Don. “But I'll tell you this, we couldn't have chosen a better guy for the job.”
“Job?” the Sangheili asked. “You guys want me to do a job for you? I thought I've been doing jobs for the UNSC since I defected.”
“This is a lot more than your pirating, Telek,” said Don. “We appreciate what you've done for us, but now we want to bring you in a little further on our side of the war.”
“Hijacking ships and stealing technology isn't enough?” Telek asked.
“Not if we don't exactly understand the technology.”
“I've given you instruction manuals,” he said.
“And that's fine and all,” said Don as Telek opened up the door to the dining hall. “And we really appreciate that. But now, the UNSC—really needs you is to have you on full time to show us how to use the technology and share with us Covenant battle tactics.”
“Full time?” Telek asked. “And who wanted this?”
“President Knight himself,” said Don. “He's been reading the reports I've made about you and he's extremely interested in you. I mean—extremely. Which is why he's made this proposal to you.”
Telek and Don sat down just as two Sangheili brought out a serving plate filled with pretzels.
“Uh, Telek, what's this?” Don asked.
“Pretzels,” he replied. “Why? Don't you guys eat pretzels?”
“Yeah,” Don replied. “We do, but not for brunch.”
“Sorry,” Telek said as he took a bite. “It's the only human food we have. Bring out the drinks!”
Another Sangheili came in with a bottle of sherry and began to pour for them. As soon as he was done, he turned and left the bottle.
“Pretzels and sherry,” said Don. “You have an odd taste for food, Telek.”
“Actually, the food we eat—by human standards,” Telek began. “Tastes like crap so I've been told.”
“Those two marines you had on your ship once,” Don said. “I remember. Yeah, they told me about the food nipple.”
“Didn't like the food nipple,” said Telek. “So, I'll have to make due with this for you. It's what I've been trading for when I bring in stolen goods.”
“There's other food out there besides pretzels and alcohol,” said Don.
“They don't want to trade the best stuff to me,” said Telek. “And I'm happy with the pretzels. And the alcohol.”
“I hear you're quite a drinker,” Don said.
“Yup,” he nodded. “I am. I can out drink any of you humans and most of my Sangheili crew.”
“I'll take your word for it,” said Don.
“Okay, Don, what's the story?” Telek asked. “This President Knight of yours, what does he want with me and my happy little band of pirates?”
“What would you say that President Knight has offered you a position in the UNSC?”
Telek took a bite of another pretzel and paused for a moment to think about his answer. Then he cleared his throat and took a drink of his sherry: “I'd say what position? And what narcotic has he been on?”
Don chuckled: “President Knight wants you to come with us to Reach to be commissioned into the United Nations Space Navy.”
“What kind of commission?” Telek asked.
“Captain of course,” said Don.
Telek leaned back in his chair: “You do realize that I was the equivalent of a Rear Admiral in the Covenant Armada before I defected. Taking the rank of Captain would be a step down for me.”
“I know,” said Don. “But you'll have some extra points added to the commission which will allow you to hit Rear Admiral a lot sooner than most who become Captain. The deeds you do will then allow you to earn your two stars.”
“I'm guessing I'll be paid for this,” said Telek.
“Yes,” said Don. “And you'll receive supplies, ammunition, and technical support from the UNSC.”
“Not for my ships,” Telek said. “You don't have the technology to repair them.”
“With your help we soon will,” said Don. “Right now, I don't know the specific detailing on what the President wants, but when we arrive in Reach, we'll know more on it.”
“Will President Knight be there?” Telek asked.
“Unfortunately,” began Don. “Given the circumstances of the war, we don't want to risk loosing our most important leader. So, he'll be joining us through the telecast.”
“I can't wait to meet him,” Telek said. “And this Vice-Admiral Witcom I've been hearing so much about.”
“Trust me,” began Don. “They will be interested in meeting you as well. This will be the first time that any of our leaders have met an alien in peace rather than in war.”
“Again,” began Telek. “I wish something like that had never happened. What we did to your people, it was cruel. Once more I have to state that I don't know why the Covenant wanted to put you on the extinction list.”
“I know,” said Don. “I guess only those Prophets and the Elite High Council know for sure why.”
“No,” said Telek. “The Sangheili High Council doesn't even know either. I'm sure of it. But the Prophets do. And that's what they're hiding.”
“Again, something to tell Witcom and Knight when you meet them,” said Don.
Telek's head turned when he saw one of Don's men as well as a Sangheili technician step into the room.
“What's the status on the inspection, Master Chief Nelson?” Don asked.
The Master Chief Petty Officer saluted and brought out his report: “So far, so good, sir. No bugs, no tracking devices. But this is a big ship to comb through. We're sweeping all decks.”
“Told you,” said Telek. “I don't want the Covenant to follow me. I have too much to loose if they catch me and my small battle group.”
“Are you sure, Chief?” Don asked.
“Sure,” he said. “I can't find anything that would be a tracking device that could lead the Covenant to Reach.”
“We scoured the ship, Excellency,” said the Sangheili technician. He was dressed in Major Domo red armor. “Stem to stern. No devices. We've got our rangers outside as well to look for devices that could have been attached to the ship during our last hijacking. So far, nothing came up.”
“Good,” said Telek. “Does this satisfy you, Donny?”
“It does,” said Don. “Thank you, Chief.”
“Dismissed,” said Telek. He received a salute from both crewmen. “Well, Don. Shall I escort you back to your ship and we make the job now?”
“Your ship is faster than ours, right?” Don asked.
“Very much so,” Telek replied.
“If we jump,” Don began. “Your ship will arrive at Reach before mine. They'll open up and fire upon you once you get there.”
“Okay, that's bad,” Telek said. “What do propose?”
“Can you—let's say—tie my ship to yours and pull it?” Don asked.
“You mean use the tractor beam and tow you through slip-space behind my ship?” Telek asked.
“Yeah,” Don replied.
“It's never been done,” Telek said. “I don't know what might happen. But there is one way. Part of my ship can open up and attach itself onto a smaller ship. Only happens when there's a smaller ship that's damaged. I can do it that way.”
“Perfect,” said Don. The two rose from their seats and took one last swig from their glasses. Telek showed the Captain out, leading him back to the cargo hold. Meanwhile, Shri was returning again, leading the crew of the Memphis as well as the Shade's technicians back to the Pelican for transport. She watched as the humans boarded the craft. Then, she turned back to Telek who was shaking Don's hand.
“Finally meeting each other face to face,” said Telek. “It was well worth it.”
Don pulled out a pad and handed it over to Telek: “These are the coordinates to Reach. Give them to the other ships as well. And remember, follow the Cole Protocol while we're traveling.”
Telek inspected the coordinates and smiled back: “This would be a two week jump for my ships.”
“More like over a month for mine,” said Don. “Your ship is faster. As commissioned, you will receive fuel for your ship. We have begun to create the plasma that is needed to run a ship like yours.”
“And this is all free more or less with the commission?” Telek asked.
“Every last bit of it,” he said. “The catching being shared knowledge of Covenant tactics and technology.”
“Easy catch,” Telek said. “I so have been wanting to ram a rod up Truth's ass. Now, it's gonna be a rod marked UNSC. I shall enjoy this.”
Don chuckled and returned to the Pelican. Telek and Shri watched as the Pelican backed out of the cargo hold and returned to its ship. Then, Telek turned to Shri, his grin belied his own musings.
“What is it?” Shri asked. “What did he say?”
“How does Captain Telek `Herosee sound?” Telek asked.
“Captain?” Shri asked. “What…”
“The President of the UNSC has offered me a Captain's commission,” Telek said.
“You mean—join the UNSC?” Shri asked. “You? What about us?”
“I suppose that I'll still be the head of this ship,” he said. “But things will be a bit different. We're going to Reach to see what is in store for me if I agree to this `draft'.”
“They want to make you an officer in the United Nations Space Command?” Shri asked. “You—a Sangheili? An alien by their standards?”
“They're desperate,” said Telek.
“Must be,” she shrugged. “Okay…so they want to commission you. Then what?”
“We do what they say,” said Telek. “That is if I agree.”
“I don't like this,” said Shri. “I really don't.”
“Shri, for once I'll be fighting on the right side for once,” said Telek.
“And what about Halo?” Shri asked. “Should you give them the knowledge of that?”
“No,” Telek said. “Not Halo…”
“You can't trust them with Halo,” said Shri. “I knew it.”
“It'll be the one thing I'll hide from them,” said Telek. “Unless—it's necessary for me to tell them about Halo.”
“And when, pray tell, will that be?”
“We'll burn that bridge when we get there, Shri,” he replied. “Now, I need to go feed these coordinates into the navigational system. Get your Sangheili ready for slip-space jump.”
“Aye, Excellency,” Shri saluted.