Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sangheili Pirate in the UNSC ❯ Innitiation ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

2154Hours, September 1, 2547 (Military Calendar)\On Board the Shade of Darkness, Slipspace, Location Unknown, Estimated Range Reach-Yale System
 
 
Commander Tomás Jimenez glanced around his quarters, his eyes slowly scanning up and down the purple, metallic walls and the various lavender and pale blue lights the lit up his room. Various holographic panels donned the walls and various blue glows etched the surface, fluctuating with the heartbeat of the ship itself. He swore that this ship was alive. It was a smooth ride, no shimmies like in UNSC ships. He had the `moon roof' open and he could see the stars wiz by as the mighty assault carrier the Shade of Darkness traveled through Slipstream Space. He could see the dark, sleek shape of the destroyer the Holy Justice hover close to the edge of the carrier, cutting its way through the stars like a sharp knife. Various squadrons of Seraphs flew in formation around the destroyer as well as the carrier that Tom was in. It had been only a day and a half since he first came upon the ex-Covenant assault carrier. He had a hard time adjusting to his new surroundings. He was used to serving on vessels that had more light in them, that were--well human in construction, than this alien craft that he now sat in. He was more used to white walls, steal hulls, and the familiar noises that went with serving on a UNSC-built ship, not the soft chimes, frosty glowing ambient lights, the oily-metallic, violet surfaces and blue glowing pillars of this now renegade Covenant space craft. He was more used to working with people his size or slightly shorter, not these strange, alien giants that the humans called Elites. No, Telek said the name of his species was Sangheili.
 
Tom hefted a sigh as he plopped himself down on the bed. His headboard had a soft, ambient light that glowed lavender across his face. Everything was either lavender, deep violet, or blue on this ship. There were even some shades of rosy pink, but no other colors. It was hard on his eyes to see in such lights. He was used to a different spectrum of lights. Captain Telek `Herosee explained it that Sangheili--the ship builders and operators, prefer to see on the violet side of the visible spectrum and can even see into ultraviolet frequencies. Since he and the other humans who served on this ship were more like guests than actual crewmembers, there was not much that Tom could do to complain about the lighting and how the ship was built to the Ship Master. He would have to suck it up. He brought along with him some of his music files and his player to entertain himself when he was not on duty. He did not know what the crew of this ship did to entertain themselves, nor did he want to find out. He closed his eyes and put his headphones in his ears, playing one of his favorite songs, and oldie from the 20th Century called `Fortune Son'. He scratched his spiky, black hair and crossed his leg over his knee, swinging it to the beat of the song.
 
Tom was of native South American, or Latino descent, but his nationality was Martian. His family grew up on Mars, worked on Mars, lived on Mars. He was more used to the lower gravity there than the gravity found on Earth. Though that did not make him any weaker than those who grew up on Earth or any Earth-like planet within the Colonies. The red desert was a welcome sight to him. The coppery sky felt home to him. He missed his home when he decided to enroll in the navy. He wanted to become an officer like his father, a retired Captain himself. His father recently died, though, from a heart attack. They told him it was a blood clot. It was the food he ate, they told him--too much sodium, too much cholesterol. So, he tried to stay away from that. His family had a history of heart problems. Heart problems for both sexes, breast cancer for the women. He had a younger brother who stayed on Mars, wanting to be a hydro farmer, harvesting water in the polar regions. His brother Felipe had a wife and two children while he had none. Tom pulled out a photograph of his brother Felipe and his wife Brook and their two children Aaron and Delfina. Behind them was their mother Anita. Tom had a reason why he joined the UNSCN, he had a reason and he stared at it. His family, the protection of them from horrible forces like the Covenant. That was why he joined the UNSC.
 
Tom dropped the photograph onto his bed when he heard a chime at his door. He quickly donned on his robe and rushed to the door, opening up with a press of the violet holo-panel beside him. As soon as the door opened, he glanced up to see the captain of the ship, Telek `Herosee, fully dressed in his golden and black armor standing outside his door.
 
“Skipper…” Tom began. “Uh…is there something wrong?”
 
“We've got a problem,” Telek rumbled. “Come with me.”
 
“Uh…just let me get dressed,” Tom began.
 
“You're fine as you are, Commander,” said the big Elite. “Many times have I walked these corridors in my bathrobe. Gray tie is optional, but I do need your assistance.”
 
“Yes, sir,” Tom replied. He followed the huge alien down the glossy violet corridor, passing several other Elites and even some Grunts who walked down the opposite way through the corridor. He noticed them glancing back, sniffing smugly at his attire and he adjusted his robe's belt. He shivered again, noticing that Telek's fast stride had taken him father away from the commander. Tom dashed off to catch up to him. Then, Telek paused and Tom nearly went sliding into the Elite's leg.
 
“Tell me, Tom,” began Telek. “How good are you at being commanding, disciplining the men and the like?”
 
“Pretty good at it, Skipper,” Tom replied.
 
“Good,” Telek said. “That's good to hear. Because I wanna know how tough a pirate you are.”
 
“I'm not a--pirate, sir,” said Tom. “I'm a navy officer.”
 
“Not on board my ship, Commander,” said Telek, swinging around to meet the man face to face. “If you're to be my first mate while I'm tied to that bio-mechanical monstrosity you call a leader then you must realize that I'm a pirate. And while you're serving my ship that makes you pirate too. The colors you're sailing under though on the surface look UNSC, are not. You're sailing under the Jolly Roger. I make my own rules, and I follow my own guidelines.”
 
“Skipper…” began Commander Jimenez. “I…”
 
“You are a pirate,” said Telek. “You're going to be hijacking a ship like a pirate, stealing cargo like a pirate, and making a profit while you're at it. That's piracy. And why are you doing it? For the safety of your own species, or just yourself, it matters not. You are still a pirate. Now, you'll need to go out there and let them know that you are one and you're second only to the blackest of all pirates that sails these stars.”
 
“What do you mean?” Tom asked.
 
Telek leaned down and pushed a button on the wall, opening up the sliding door with a chime. Tom glanced into the room his eyes wide when he saw what was in there. It was the galley and there was a circle of crewmen and marines, both species. They were chanting, hooting, hollering, and shouting at something in the center.
 
“What's going on?” Tom asked.
 
“Apparently,” said Telek. “Old rivalries don't die. The crew are at each other's throats because the Sangheili don't want to work with the humans and the humans don't want to work with the Sangheili.”
 
“What do you need me to do?”
 
“Simple,” Telek replied. “Now, I can go in there and no doubt get everyone to shut the hell up, but I want them to see that you're not someone who will just let me do all the talking. You are gonna tell both species to play nice with each other while they're on this ship. Okay?”
 
“Sure,” Tom sighed. “Only Elites are a lot bigger than me.”
 
“So, puff out your chest or something,” Telek shrugged. “Just do it.”
 
“Just, tell them to stop?” asked Tom.
 
“Stage fright?”
 
“You might say that.”
 
Telek chuckled and then pushed the human out into the galley. He waited off on the other side of the door as Tom began to push his way through the crowd. Once he made it to the center, there were two crew members, a Sangheili dressed in black armor fighting a human marine private. The private was holding his own against this larger Elite, who was swinging purposefully at him. Though the private looked scuffed up a bit, a black eye here, and a few bruises there. The Elite, on the other hand, did not look like he sustained any wounds. Tom figured that it was because of the alien's incredible toughness coupled with the body shield his armor possessed. This was a one-sided fight. The sides were segregated as well, one side of the crowd was Sangheili and the other side was human. Tom took in his breath and whistled loudly at the two quarrying beings. The roar of the silence blanketed the spectators and the fighters glanced back.
 
“What the hell is going on here?” Tom shouted. He grabbed the private by the collar and pulled him away from the Elite. “We're supposed to be allies here. We're supposed to be a crew. Now, stow the petty squabble and shape up, or I'll toss you both in the brig.”
 
“Sorry, Commander,” said the private. “But this squid-head started it.”
 
“Pathetic, weak, hairless ape!” the Elite bellowed, rearing back to punch the human again.
 
“Hold it!” Tom bellowed.
 
“You can't order me around, human,” the Elite growled.
 
“I beg to differ,” Tom said. “I'm the first mate here. When the Captain isn't around, I'm in charge.”
 
“You're no first mate to me,” the Elite called. “Only Tekn `Morudee is.”
 
“You want to question my authority,” Tom growled back at him. “Take it up with the Captain. Now, who started this?”
 
“I said he did!” the private called.
 
The Elite growled again, lunging for both Tom and the private, raising his hand up. It was caught by another gloved hand and the black armored alien glanced back to see Telek standing there.
 
“You heard Commander Jimenez,” the Zealot growled back. “And you will obey his order as if you were obeying mine.”
 
“Excellency,” the Sangheili breathed. “Aye, Excellency…”
 
Telek nodded and glanced down at Tom, waiting for him to speak up.
 
“What's this all about?” Tom asked.
 
“He cut in line,” said the Marine. “And he pushed me.”
 
“This is for Sangheili only,” said the Spec-Ops officer. “Lowly humans don't belong over here at this food dispenser.”
 
“It's our food vender machine,” said the Marine. “We should use it if we want!”
 
“This spot was the only place with enough room to fit the vending machine,” said Tom. “I'm sorry, but the Private is right. He has a right to be over here just as much as you. Now, if you both don't learn how to behave yourselves, I'll throw both of you into the brig and let you think about what you've done.” He glanced back at the others. “And that goes for all of you. I'll be watching you all for now on.”
 
“Yes, sir,” the Private sighed.
 
“Yes--Excellency,” the black-armored Elite growled, spitting the word `Excellency' out in disgust. He did not like the idea of calling a human `Excellency'.
 
“Alright,” Tom said. “Get back to your eating. You'll need the strength.” He sighed again and glanced back at Telek just as the crowd broke up. “You still had to step in. They didn't want to listen to me.”
 
“Maybe I tossed you out there a little too soon,” Telek sighed.
 
“Your people don't like us,” said Tom.
 
“Well, what do you expect?” Telek asked. “The humans feel the same way about mine.”
 
“Guess it'll take a while,” said Tom.
 
“No, what you'll need to do to gain the respect of my Sangheili warriors is to prove yourself in battle,” said Telek. “And I know just the thing.”
 
“What?” Tom asked as Telek placed his hand on his shoulder.
 
“How does a little swordplay sparring sound?” Telek asked.
 
“What?” Tom asked.
 
“Swordplay,” the Zealot replied. “You, me, spar with swords.”
 
“Uh…” Tom swallowed. “I don't know how to use one.”
 
“I can teach you,” he said.
 
Telek, still with his hand on Tom's shoulder, pulled the young Commander down towards the sparring deck, passing through various gravity-lift elevators and down long, purple corridors. Another set of doors opened up and Tom found himself in the sparring room. Behind him a line of Sangheili soldiers gathered to watch this session between their leader and his new `second in command.' Tom swallowed, feeling a lump of anxiety crawl up his throat. This was not something he wanted to do, he did not want to go sword to sword with someone who could just literally take his head off right there. He wanted to run, he wanted to hide, he wanted to just lock the door in his quarters and not come out until the next day when his shift started. He was vulnerable, he was still in his bedclothes, he was not ready for this. This was something he had no desires to do. But he could not escape from Telek, who just gave him a hearty push into the room and out onto the floor. Tom literally shook from head to toe, not sure what was about to become of him. He recalled someone telling him once during the academy that in space, no one could hear him scream. This had to be some ploy that Telek was using in order to frighten him off his ship so he could get back to whatever he was doing prior to Tom's station there. Tom felt sweat pour down his face as Telek tossed him a strange looking, oddly shaped rod.
 
“What's this?” Tom asked.
 
“It's the sword,” Telek replied coolly. “Red button activates it.”
 
And with that, he activated his. Tom's eyes just widened and his jaw became unhinged when he saw Telek raise this long, blue glowing sword up and positioned himself into a fighting stance.
 
“Mama…” Tom squeaked and activated his. His armed jerked slightly when he felt the plasma sword spring forth from the emitter. Telek slowly approached him, readying his sword up for the attack. Tom began to back slowly away, holding his sword out with a straight, locked arm, his wrist shaking slightly. “Look, uh, I'm not prepared for this. I'm still in my PJs. I'm not ready!”
 
“En garde!” Telek laughed as he lunged for the human. Tom screamed and raised the sword up and managed to block the attack. Tom glanced up, shaking again at the attacking Elite. Telek chuckled. “Ah, what do you say?”
 
“Uh…touché?” Tom asked, still shaking at the sight of fighting with his commanding officer.
 
“Bien,” Telek commented. “Now, come on, let's see the coup de grâce.”
The big Sangheili leaned back and swung down, ready to slice a death blow across Tom's body. The Commander screamed again and huddled up into a ball, his sword still out to protect him from Telek's deadly strike. The two swords clanged and Tom glanced back up, hearing Telek chuckle again. He heard the other Elites as well, they were laughing too. Tom was not sure, but he thought in his mind that they were laughing at him. This was not going too well for him.
 
“Come on, Tom, levez-vous!” Telek called. “On your feet.”
 
“Come on,” Tom sighed. “I'm Mexican. I speak Spanish.”
 
“Sorry,” Telek said. “¡Levántese!”
 
“How the hell do you know Spanish and French?” Tom asked.
 
“Well, I watch 500-year old French TV once,” Telek replied. “And Bobi up there knows German. In fact, that's all he knows besides Sangheili.”
 
He pointed up to a Field Master Zealot who waved and then replied: “Ja spreche ich Deutsches. Sehnt sich Phasendeutschland!”
 
“He sounds like Hitler,” Tom gasped.
 
“Well, what do you expect?” Telek asked. “Most of the broadcasts we've seen are from the late 20th Century. So, of course he's seen Hitler's speeches. As sad as it may be, that's how he learned it.”
 
“Hitler was a horrible man,” Tom shook his head.
 
“I know,” Telek shrugged. “But, it's what we had.”
 
“Warum nicht kämpfen?” Bobi asked.
 
“He speaks English and Spanish, Bobi!” Telek cried.
 
“Ich bin traurig,” Bobi shrugged.
 
“I think there's a few German speakers among the marines,” said Tom.
 
“Good,” said Telek. “Because I can't understand a word he says when he talks like that. Now, where were we?”
 
Once more, he swung at the Commander. Tom made an attempt to block it, but he moved too slow and the sword managed to nick him right in the waist near his kidney. Tom screamed and held his side backing away from Telek.
 
“You cut me!” he called. “How could…I can't believe you cut me! You could have killed me!”
 
“Kid if I'd wanted to kill you, I would have,” said Telek. “I think that's enough. Go to the infirmary and meet up with Erin `Venamee. He'll patch you up.”
 
0
 
Tom sighed as he sat down on the bed. Erin got out the gauss and linen wraps to mend Tom's would with. The chief surgeon was dressed in his white and olive armor, signifying that he was both an Ultra and a doctor in the Covenant navy. On his armor was a black Jolly Roger, the same that was painted on Telek's armor. The Jolly Roger was a human skull and two swords crossed, the flag flown by Calico Jack. Tom just felt humiliated as the Sangheili patched him up.
 
“Hey,” said Erin. “Don't feel bad. You should have seen what he did to me last week. Left me a scar right here.”
 
Erin pointed his bicep and laughed.
 
“What do you mean?” Tom asked. “You mean he does this to everyone?”
 
“He finds sparring partners to try to hone his skills,” said Erin. “But none of us here are as good as him. So, we get a little scraped for volunteering. It'll be the last time I agree to that! Trust me, if he wanted to kill you, he would.”
 
It was after he left the infirmary that he noticed a change of attitude the other Sangheili had towards him. A black armored Elite passed him and gave a good pat to his shoulder while another Ultra took hold of him and told him the time that Telek had him volunteer for sparring and he nearly got his leg chopped off. Two more Zealots passed him and told him similar stories. Then, he began to figure out why Telek did that. It was some sort of initiation test. Apparently he passed. Tom noticed just how the Elites were treating him, each one greeting him with a little more respect than before. The black armored Elite who was fighting with that marine even apologized for his manners towards Tom and offered to share a drink with him when he was off duty. Tom grinned again and made his way back towards his room for some quiet time and sleep. Just as soon as he got to the bed, Telek came back in.
 
“Tom,” he began. “Hope you're not planning on going back to bed now.”
 
“Actually, I was, Skipper,” Tom sighed. “What?”
 
“We're on full alert,” Telek said. “We're just about to break slip-space.”
 
“We're here?” Tom asked. “Already?”
 
“Yup,” Telek replied. “Get dressed. Let's get to the bridge.”
 
“Wonderful,” Tom sighed. “Uh, Captain?”
 
“Hmm?” Telek asked.
 
“Thanks,” Tom said, smiling.
 
“For what?”
 
“For--making me a part of the crew,” Tom grinned. “That's why you did it, right?”
 
“Yep,” Telek chuckled, leaning over and giving Tom's head a good rub. “Welcome to the crew, Commander Jimenez.”
 
“I won't let you down, sir,” Tom saluted.