Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Halo Effect ❯ First Contact ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I do not own Halo or Mass Effect they are owned by Microsoft. I do own what I add to them.

The Halo Effect

Chapter 1 First Contact

Sangheili adopted time
March 2553
Shadow of Intent

The Arbiter enters the bridge of the Shadow of Intent. Shipmaster R’tas Vadum is looking at a holographic image of Earth. He looks up and sees the Arbiter then says with a hint of urgency in his voice, “Things look different without the Prophet’s lies clouding our vision.”

The Arbiter looks at R’tas and says, “Fear not, Brother, for we have made it.”

R’tas continues, “But I would like to see our home. Just to know it is safe.”

The Arbiter walks to the gravity throne and takes a seat. R’tas places his right arm across his chest in a salute and continues, “By your word, Arbiter.”

The Arbiter says in an authoritative voice, “Take us home.”

R’tas looked at the Arbiter and said questioningly, “Would you like to address the fleet before we enter slip space?”

The Arbiter replied, “Yes. I would. They need words of encouragement. It has been a long war. Everyone is tired and weary.”

A channel was opened to all ships of the fleet. The Arbiter spoke, “My fellow brothers. Our war is over. There are a few stragglers left. They will be dealt with as they show their mongrel hides. There will be peace. The Humans will not attack us. And we will not attack them. There will be talks of trade between our two worlds. We are going home. The Humans are rebuilding their world. We shall send a small fleet of Sangheili builders to help them upon our return. I am sure there’s some rebuilding that will need to be done on Sangheilios. Our eyes are open. Let them never close again.”

All the Sangheili let out a roar of agreement. The whole fleet of Sangheili was glad to be going home. Some haven’t seen their home in many years.

The Arbiter turned to the navigation specialist; a seasoned veteran named Mi’rand Saram and said, “Enter slip space now.”

The navigation specialist said, “We will be in Sangheilian space in twenty-four units.”

The Arbiter replied, “That is satisfactory.”

The Arbiter looks at Shipmaster R’tas and says, “Come let us go rest. Mi’rand let us know if there is any trouble.”

Twelve units into the journey Mi’rand gets on the intercom and says, “Arbiter and Shipmaster report to the control room.”

R’tas and the Arbiter enter the bridge and looks at the view screen. The Arbiter is the first to speak, “What am I looking at?”

Mi’rand replied, “A subspace storm. It came out of nowhere. It has engulfed the entire fleet. I’m not sure if it will alter our course. We won’t know until we exit.”

“Signal all ships to disengage slip space drives now. We need to see if we have suffered any damage,” a nervous Arbiter ordered.

Citadel time 2183
Citadel Tower

“Sir, we have a large number of unidentified vessels approaching Citadel space,” the traffic controller said nervously.

“Try to make contact,” the supervisor replied with a worried look on his face.

“Citadel tower hailing unidentified fleet. Please respond,” the tower controller said.
Shadow of Intent

“Shipmaster there is a large object on the radar,” the radar specialist, a red major named Na’she Shasol yelled.

“On screen,” replied R’tas Vadum.

The view screen flickered to life with an image that made both the Arbiter and R’tas’ mandibles drop. The Arbiter was the first to speak, “Is that another Ark. By the gods. Let’s pray the Covenant doesn’t find it. How far are we from Sangheilian space?”

Na’she replied, “Unsure. We came out of slip space sooner than planned. We could have been thrown off course due to the storm.”

The communications specialist, a young Sangheili named Ilb Gatrum, nearly leaped out of his seat and said, “Arbiter, Shipmaster, we are being hailed!”

“Let’s hear it,” replied the Arbiter calmly.

“Citadel tower hailing unidentified fleet. Please respond,” the voice said.

“Who do you think it is? It doesn’t sound like any Covenant. In fact the voice sounds Human. Answer them. I would prefer not to be blown out of the sky” the Arbiter said nervously.

Ilb replied, “Yes, Arbiter.” he turned to his control panel and pushed a few buttons and said, “This is the Sangheilian fleet, Arbiter’s Justice, we come in peace.”

Citadel Tower

The Citadel tower controller couldn’t believe what he was hearing and said, “Sir, we have a response. They said they come in peace. But it is a new species. They call themselves, and I hope I pronounce it right, Sang-hei-li.”

The supervisor replied, “Get all the Council on the wire. Tell the fleet to come to an all stop until we contact them again. Also get Commander Shepherd on the line, we may need his help.”

“I trust this is important to have a meeting like this,” the Salarian councilman responded.

Councilman Anderson said calmly, “What has the tower control in such distress?”

The tower supervisor replied, “An alien fleet approaches.”

The Asari councilman replied as calmly as she could, “Is it the Reapers?”

“They say they come in peace. They have technology unlike ours. They didn’t need to use the relays for Faster Than Light speeds,” the supervisor said almost frantic.

The Turian councilman said, “I think we should allow a delegation party of three to land on the Citadel. Let’s meet these Sangheili. There will be armed guards. Commander Shepherd, I want you and your team there. We can’t be too careful.”

The tower controller transmitted the council’s message to the Sangheili fleet. The Arbiter responded by saying, “I agree to your terms. I’ll prepare a delegation party.”

The Arbiter turned to his most trusted friend and said, “You will come with me. I would also like N’tho Sraom to accompany us.”

The Arbiter and his party attached their cloaks to their armor and boarded a Phantom. The pilot was told to stay on board and keep a channel open in case there is trouble.

The Phantom docked at one of the many docking bays on the Citadel. The Arbiter and his companions were met by the first Human Spectre Commander John Shepherd. There were armed C-sec guards posted near the Phantom. The Arbiter quietly said, “Is this necessary. I said before, Human, we come in peace. As a matter of fact we are allies.”

Commander Shepherd replied, “Just a precaution.”

Commander Shepherd escorted the Sangheili delegates to the Citadel tower where the council set up a conference room. The Sangheili looked in awe at the surroundings of the Citadel. It had the environment similar to Earth and Sangheilios but it also had similarities to the Ark. All three Sangheili kept an eye out for flood. R’tas leaned over and in the Sangheilian language said quietly, “Etisarap eht sah ecalp siht kniht uoy od? Ereh si ti kniht od?”
The Arbiter replied in a calm formal voice, “Wonk ton odi. Nepo seye ruo peek stel. Od ot tahw wonk uoy elbuot fo ngis tsrif.”

Commander R’tas gave a quick salute and replied, “Drow ruoy yb.”

Commander Shepherd opened the door to the conference room and announced the Sangheili delegates to the council. Councilman Anderson stood along with the rest. He proceeded to introduce the councilors to the delegates, “To my right is the Asari Councilor Linara. To her right is the Salarian Councilor Kinat. And finally to my left is the Turian Councilor Rauss. I am the Councilor for Humanity. Councilman Anderson.”

Commander R’tas looked at the Arbiter and whispered, “Retibra fo eltit sa llew sa eman laer ruoy evig dluohs uoy knihti.”

The Arbiter shakes his head in acknowledgement and all three Sangheili bow in respect to the Council.

The Arbiter looks at the council and gestures to his right and says in a formal tone that has a touch of bass to his voice, and with unbroken English, “To my right is my second in command, Shipmaster of the Shadow of Intent, and Spec op Supreme Commander R’tas Vadum. And to my left is one of our Spec ops Commanders N’tho Sraom. And I am the Arbiter of the Sangheili and Supreme Commander of the Fleet Arbiter’s Justice. Orna Fulsam.” All three Sangheili bowed in a gesture of respect and courtesy.

The Turian councilor was the first to speak, “What is a fleet the size you have doing this far from your home world if it was not for an invasion?”

Before the Arbiter could speak R’tas looked at the wall behind the council and saw the date. He looked at the Arbiter and said nervously, “Retibra, thgir eb t’nac siht. Llaw rieht no ti syas 2183, tub eht raey si 2552. etagitsevni ew litnu yas uoy tahw hctaw.”

The Arbiter nodded to R’tas then said, “We were traveling to a nearby star system when we were caught in a storm. When we came out of Faster Than Light speed we were here. We have said before. We come in peace.”

Councilman Anderson, taking into account the wars that Humanity has fought and the up coming war with the Reapers, said in a voice that had a hint of hope, “Maybe we could forge an alliance without bloodshed.”
The Arbiter replied, “I think that would be possible. Yes, we are a warrior race. But I think an alliance between all our races would benefit all of us. Not just with numbers against our enemies, but the sharing of technology.”

The Citadel council looked at each other and all nodded in agreement. Councilman Anderson said, “As do I.”

The Turian Councilman looked at the Arbiter and said, “Welcome to the Citadel. I think this alliance will be in the best interest of all.”