Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Halo Effect ❯ Let's Start ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Halo Effect

Chapter 6 Let’s Start

Shadow of Intent

The Arbiter and R’tas Vadum returned to the bridge. “Take us to the Citadel. Contact the Nellus colony. Tell them we had an abrupt change of plans. Reschedule the tour for a later date,” the Arbiter said in a solemn tone.

“Yes, Excellency,” replied both the communications specialist and the navigations specialist.

R’tas looked at Arbiter Fulsam and said, “Excellency that was a nice service. The Spartan and our fallen brothers would have been proud.”

“Thank you, brother,” replied Orna, “Come, we have preparations to make for our return to the Citadel.”

R’tas said over the intercom, “Arbiter’s Council report to the Arbiter’s ready room.”

Orna and R’tas walked from the bridge to the ready room. R’tas said in a tone that was both full of business as well as concern, “Arbiter, there is a matter I need to discuss with you before the council gets here.”

Arbiter Fulsam replied in a curious voice, “What is it, my brother?”

“As you know I was the Mirratord First. We protected the Sangheili way of life. However, we answered to the High Council. I want to bring back the Mirratord here. They will answer only your orders. They will protect the Sangheili way of life as well as you. There are a few Mirratord brothers among the Spec Ops and Honor Guard. There are two on your council. I will recruit only from Spec Ops and Honor Guard. The only Honor Guard that will accompany you now will be Mirratord. The new recruits will receive special training as well as Mirratord Blades.”

“I agree. The Mirratord should be here. But don’t forget, brother, I haven’t forgotten my Mirratord training. However, when that filthy Brute Tartarus burned my armor my blades were destroyed. Proceed with secrecy of the Mirratord. However, I need a new set of blades.” Orna said proudly. He turned to face R’tas placing his right arm over his chest then said, “For the Honor of the Mirratord.”

R’tas doing the same replied, “For the Honor of the Mirratord.”

Arbiter Fulsam and R’tas took their seats and waited for the others to get there. When the last Sangheili walked in and took a seat Orna called the meeting to order, “Brothers, we are returning to the Citadel. You all will accompany me to the Citadel surface. There will be much work to be done,” Orna said in a tone that held more enthusiasm and pride than before.

“Arbiter Fulsam, we will be entering Citadel space in fifteen minutes,” the navigations specialist said over the intercom.



“Sangheilian Fleet, this is Do you copy?” Joe Campbell, the Tower Controller said.

“Tell them they may dock in hanger 2114,” the supervisor said, “Get Commander Shepherd over there.”

Shadow of Intent

“Excellency, we are being hailed,” the communications specialist said in a down to business tone.

“On screen,” ordered Arbiter Fulsam.

“Sangheilian Fleet, this is Do you copy?” the Tower Controller said.

“We read you,” Arbiter Fulsam said, “What do you need?”

“We have docking coordinates. You may dock in hanger 2114,” responded Joe, “Once the preliminary treaties are signed other members of your fleet me dock and tour the Citadel. Commander Shepherd will meet you on the dock.”

“Affirmative. I shall be bringing my twenty member council along with my Honor Guard,” replied the Arbiter.



“Hey, Tom, the Sangheilian Ambassador said he will be bringing a twenty member council plus his personal guards. Can I give clearance for this?” Joe said in a concerned voice.

Tom Wright, the tower supervisor, called the Citadel Council. The Human Councilman, Councilman Anderson answered, “Yes, Tower. What can I do?”

Tom replied, “The Sangheilian Ambassador wants to bring a twenty member council plus personal guards with him. I can’t give that kind of authorization without council approval. Especially not when the treaty hasn’t been signed.”

“I’ll grant it. These are our new allies. They are here to sign the treaty,” Councilman Anderson said in an authoritative voice.

Tom looked at the tower controller and said, “Authorization granted.”

Shadow of Intent

“Arbiter Fulsam, this Commander Shepherd that is meeting us. The Council said he was to give us a tour of the Citadel as well as show us your new office,” Shipmaster R’tas said quietly.

“Yes, brother, that is correct. They will also be showing us the Ambassador’s quarters as well as your own. They say I’ll be getting a housing complex that could accommodate all of my council and Honor Guard plus a few extra Sangheili. There will also be some housing in a section called the Wards where some warriors who want to stay on the Citadel can live,” Orna said proudly, “Come let us go to our Phantom.”

The group walked to the hanger bay and proceeded to enter the Phantom. “Once we dock you may return to the Shadow of Intent until I send for you. After the treaty is signed members of our fleet may have shore leave,” Arbiter Fulsam ordered.

“As you wish, Excellency,” replied the pilot.

The trip to the docking bay was uneventful. There have been reports coming in over Citadel radio of privateers attacking ships. Arbiter Fulsam told his shipmasters to destroy any who attack first.

“Docking in 3…2…1,” announced the pilot, “You may disembark.”

The Arbiter and his companions were met by Commander Shepherd; commander of the SSV Normandy and first Human Spectre, Garrus Vakarian; former C-sec operative, and Liara T’Soni, whom the Arbiter has spoken with before. “Hello, Ambassador. If you would follow me to the The Council is awaiting your signature on the Treaty,” Commander Shepherd said in a tone that noted his many years of military service and discipline.

“Lead the way,” replied the Arbiter.

The group entered the elevator that went to the and the Council Chambers. The Council greeted the group of Sangheili. Councilman Anderson was the first to speak, “Here are the Treaty terms. Would you like some time to look them over?”

“Yes. Could you give us about thirty minutes? My second in command and I will look them over,” the Arbiter said in a down to business tone.

The Citadel Council left the room for a recess. They wanted to give the Sangheili privacy. The only thing they could do would be deny the treaty.

“It appears to be everything they promised,” Arbiter Fulsam commented.

“Yes and our only price is the sharing of out technology. Brother that is a small price to pay for peace,” R’tas Vadum replied with a hint of hope.

“Call the Council back. We shall sign,” Arbiter Fulsam told Commander Shepherd.

With the treaty between them signed. Councilman Anderson told Commander Shepherd, “Show the Sangheili Ambassador to his new office,” he turned to Arbiter Fulsam and continued, “I will have to offer my apologies. We do have limited space here for Embassies. Most of our Embassy offices have more than one Ambassador in them. You will be sharing an office with our Ambassador for Humanity. Ambassador Udina.”

The Sangheili had a look of shock. N’tho Sraom stepped forward and said to Arbiter Fulsam, “Yssabme na erahs ew won tniop eno ta ecar rieht etacidare ot yrt ew. Ynori rof hcum os.”

“gnol eht ni meht rof siht gniod era ew. Ti fo tsom eht ekam llahs ew tub. Ynori si taht, rehtorb ym, sey,” replied Arbiter Fulsam as he chuckled to himself. “How ironic indeed. I wonder how this will turn out. Looks like karma has really caught up with us.”

Commander Shepherd took the group of Sangheili to the Embassies. They were shown where the Embassy they were going to use. the group walked in the door. Ambassador Udina said, “What is this? New comers.”

Garrus replied with a smile, “Yes. The Sangheili are our new allies. They will be sharing this Embassy with you.”

Ambassador Udina said as his temper went flying, “This is an outrage. Sharing space with these aliens.”

The Arbiter moved close to Ambassador Udina, bent his head down and looked at the Human. After having been fully insulted said, “Human I speak and understand your language. If you were an honor bound Sangheili those would be sparing words. And it would be a fight to the death. Never insult my honor again, Human.”

The Arbiter turned to Commander Shepherd and said, “These accommodations will be satisfactory. Although the company could be better.”

Garrus said with a chuckle, “Yes, Udina could be more polite. But I don’t think it is in his nature.”

“Some Humans can be so predictable,” the Arbiter said with disgust, “To be such a weak race, some need to learn to mind their manners.”

Commander Shepherd looked at the group of Sangheili. Some looked and sounder like they were growling. "Come let's see the rest of the Citadel," Commander Shepherd said as he gestured to the door, "I've become a tour guide," he thought to himself, " Best to get them moving before Udina becomes their lunch and we need a new Ambassador."

Thee group walked around the Presidium. they came upon the monument of the Relay. A Volus came upon the group. The Arbiter said in disgust as he drew his energy sword, "Traitorous Unggoy. You shall pay."

As the rest of the Sangheili drew their weapons, Commander Shepherd quickly said, "Ambassador, this is not an Unggoy as you call it. This is a Volus."

"I'm sorry; my race once had an alliance with the Unggoy. They betrayed us, killed many of our brothers. They looked very much like your race, Volus," the Arbiter said in a sincere voice. As he motioned for the rest to lower their weapons.

"Don't let it happen again Sangheilios Clan," a disgusted and frightened Volus replied.

"Oh my, working Prothean technology, by the goddess! Look!" Liara nearly yelled.

Everyone look in the direction Liara was pointing. To the Arbiter's disadvantage they all were looking at him. Well his sword. "The shape of the sword you carry. It is the same as the relay," Liara said excitedly.

"Commander Shepherd, this is Joker. An urgent message was sent by Admiral Hackett of the Fifth Fleet. There are Geth reports in the Vanshi System of the Armstrong Nebula. They need you to check it out," Joker said over the com.

"I'm on my way," replied Commander Shepherd, "I'm afraid I will have to cut this short. There's a settlement under attack by the Geth."

"Would you like some aid?" the Arbiter asked knowing some of his brothers were itching for a small battle.

"That would be nice," Commander Shepherd said in a relieved voice.

"Upload all information and coordinates to our ships. N'tho let the fleet know we are going to battle," an excited Arbiter said as he was making his way to the docking bay, "Get us a Phantom here on the double."