Hamtaro Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening ❯ Chase ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1:
Chase
 
 
 
The hamster known as Kai ran through the thick forest faster than he had ever run before. The pained cry of one of his companions was starting to get on his nerves. For a second, he thought about stopping and knocking some sense into her. A second later, he remembered he was being pursued. The cries continued.
 
“Nutmeg, Nutmeg! Where the hell is Nutmeg!?”
 
Kai couldn't stand it anymore.
 
“He's dead ok? He's dead along with the others!”
 
Evidently, that had been the wrong thing to say as his companion suddenly stopped dead in her tracks and broke down. His other companion sighed, stopped and pulled the chocolate colored hamster up. He had unique fur: white with black spots because of this, he was named Cow.
 
“C'mon Cookie, in case you've forgotten, we're being chased by some maniacs who for some reason or other, want us dead!”
 
Suddenly, a ball of fire whizzed past Kai's face, narrowly missing it and singeing the tip of his dark green fur.
 
“Damn!” he screamed. “Run you idiots!” he called out to Cookie and Cow.
 
Kai didn't know how long he had been running for. It didn't matter. Some strange force from within drove him on and kept him at maximum energy. He and his companions were far ahead of their pursuers and he could see that Cookie and Cow were beginning to tire out, so he slowed his pace and called quietly to them:
 
“Guys, I can see a stream over there to the right. We can stop there and grab a drink.”
 
Cow's strained face turned to a look of mocking surprise.
 
“I don't believe it,” he said. “Our leader's thinking of others for once!”
Kai couldn't take it anymore. He whipped around tried to punch Cow in the jaw. Unfortunately for Kai, Cow was famous for his quick reflexes and easily dodged it. A split second later, before he could recover, Kai delivered a kick to the stomach. It wasn't particularly hard, but enough to cause Cow to keel over for a second or two, dropping Cookie.
“You wanna lead?” he asked loudly. “I'd be happy to take Cookie and leave you in the dust. Then you can be your own boss.”
 
“What the hell were those elders high on when the appointed you leader?” Cow mumbled as he got up. He grabbed a near catatonic Cookie and followed Kai to the stream.
 
 
 
Kai had drunk for nearly two minutes. It was only after he had stopped that he realized just how parched he was. Just then, his keen ears picked up the sound of twigs snapping. The sound was growing closer by the second.
 
“Shit, they've found us!” he whispered loudly. “Cow, Cookie, c'mon!”
 
The two stood straight up and started bolting away from the stream. Kai caught up to them.
 
“You ok Cookie?” he asked her.
 
“Fine as I'll ever be with my husband and friends all dead,” she said back to him harshly. Kai really couldn't blame her.
 
The sound of twigs snapping grew closer rapidly. Cow turned his head slightly and spotted his pursuers behind the bushes.
 
“Kai, they're catchin' up to us!” he said.
 
“You think I'm deaf!?” Kai shouted back.
 
“Guys!” yelled Cookie. “Less fighting and more running! Wait… who the hell is…”
 
Cookie didn't have time to finish her sentence as at that moment, she and her companions fell.
 
 
The hamster Oxnard gazed down into the hole he had dug in shock, his simple brain trying to process all that had happened in that split second. One moment, he had been absent mindedly digging the whole which would become the hiding place for his secret stash of sunflower seeds and suddenly three hamsters that had been running like the wind tripped and fell into it.
Hey fat boy,” said the hamster with green fur and a long ponytail that was on top of his companions. “We're not here alright?”
 
“Uhhhhh… sure,” replied Oxnard.
 
Suddenly, two hamsters in robes came from behind a tree and walked up to Oxnard. He was frightened by their faces. Not because they were covered in some freaky red and yellow face paint, but because they looked exactly the same.
 
“Hey,” said one of them in a low voice devoid of emotion. “Have you seen any suspicious looking hamster come this way lately?” Oxnard was about to answer with a yes, but then remembered what the green hamster had said.
 
“No, no! Everything's fine sir!” he said rather quickly and nervously.
 
“From your voice, I can sense that something is wrong,” said the other hamster in the exact same voice. “What is in that hole?”
 
“Nothing, nothing,” replied Oxnard trying his best to not reveal the hamsters. “Just sunflower seeds!”
 
“I see,” they both said simultaneously and walked off. When they were out of sight, Oxnard reached down into the small hole and picked the hamsters up one by one.
 
“Hey,” said a rather unattractive brown female hamster. Do you have any friend nearby?
 
“Yes,” replied Oxnard. “In the clubhouse over there.”
 
“Clubhouse?” said the one with cow-like fur. “How many of there are you?”
 
“Lots.”
 
“Great!” said the one with green fur. “Can they fight?”
 
“Uhhhhh…”
 
“Never mind, we'll see when we meet them.
 
Oxnard then began to lead them toward the Ham-Ham Clubhouse. He was exited to possibly get new friends, but there was something that told him these mysterious hamsters had brought with them something sinister.