Hamtaro Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening ❯ Mission ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2:
Mission
 
 
The Ham-Ham Clubhouse was exceptionally loud the day the stranger arrived. The Ham-Hams crowded around the chairs their new friends were sitting on, asking questions about their home, their names and other small things. Kai happily answered as many as he could while Cow only answered with a grunt or at most, a single word. Cookie ignored every single Ham-Ham. Boss suddenly cleared his throat and the talking ceased
 
“Alright,” he said. “Now that we've all been uh… acquainted, how about you all tell us why you're all here. I get the feeling you're not here to make friends.
 
Kai cleared his throat.
 
“It's a long story,” said Kai. “I'll do my best to shorten it.”
 
The Ham-Hams all sat down, their eyes showing a feeling of hunger for information.
 
“About 60 human years ago, a village close to the nearest mountain from here” (he couldn't remember the name) “was founded. By whom we don't know, but it was the task of the villagers to guard a cave.”
 
“What's in it?” asked Hamtaro.
 
“We….don't know,” said Cow.
 
“Now wait just a minute!” said Howdy loudly. “You've been guardin' this cave for nearly half a century and you don't even have the slightest clue as to what the hell's even in it?”
 
“No,” admitted Kai.
 
“Well why the hell not?” asked Howdy.
 
“Taboo,” mumbled Cookie. “It's forbidden.”
 
“Anyway,” continued Kai. It didn't take long for rumors of some great treasure hidden in that cave to spread. In its first ten yeas of life, our village was constantly being attacked by greedy hamsters hoping to get their paws on whatever was in the cave. Luckily, our village was protected by a strong gate. Only a handful of attackers could get through and those that could were easily defeated by our warriors. In the next decade, the attacks grew less frequent and our village began to prosper, earning a spot on the map.”
 
“What was its name?” asked Bijou.
 
“Altoria,” said Cow.
 
“Never heard of it,” Bijou said. “What was it like?
 
“A pretty damn nice place,” said Kai with a hint of sadness. It had everything you could ask for: natural beauty, good hams, and lots of food. After the attacks stopped, hamsters near Altoria were all moving there, desiring cheap land. At that time, the village was at the very peak of prosperity. Nobody living there could ask for anything better. The cave we were supposed to be guarding was all but forgotten despite being only a quarter of a mile form the village. Eventually, the ways of the warrior, which had been taught at Altoria for over 50 years were no longer taught to the children of the village. A decade later, all that changed.”
All eyes turned to Cookie, whose eyes were beginning to well up with tears.
 
“We should have removed her from the room,” said Cow. “It's too soon to talk about this in front of her.” He glared at Kai and helped Cookie up.”
 
“I don't need that thanks,” she said harshly.
 
“You can take her to my room,” said Hamtaro. “It's just down the left tunnel. There's a big H on the door.”
 
“Cow and Cookie took off without as much as a thank you to Hamtaro.”
 
“A cold couple of hams!” said Boss. What the hell happened to them?”
 
“I was just getting to that just before I was so rudely interrupted,” said Kai with annoyance in his voice.
 
“Three days ago, a bunch of strange hamsters showed up at our gate.” he continued. “They were led by a hamster in a black robe and a white mask. You saw two of them Fat Boy.”
 
“Ummm… my name is Oxnard,” said Oxnard.
 
“Whatever,” said Kai. He cleared his throat. “The gate that had kept attackers out of our village for six decades was shattered like glass by the awesome might of these invaders. They massacred almost every one of us in a few short hours. Those who survived were stupid enough to hole themselves up in underground shelters and wait until these strange hamsters would least expect an attack. This small group of hamsters was lead by Nutmeg, Cookie's husband. Unfortunately, they too were killed. Before that though, they brutally killed Nutmeg in front of everyone.”
 
“That explains her attitude,” mumbled Stan.
 
“Luckily, we were smart enough to stay in the shadows,” said Kai. “After they killed Nutmeg and the others, we fled from Altoria, intending to visit other villages to find strong warriors to help us. Unfortunately, our escape didn't go as planned and the invaders spotted us. They pursued us through the mountains and the forest until we were saved by Oxnard and that hole of his.”
 
There was a long pause. The Hams-Hams were trying to take in everything they had heard. Kai's story hadn't had been as short and simple as it could have been.
 
“So, now that I've answered your questions, it's time you answered mine,' said Kai. “Can any of you fight? Our first priority is to keep those guys from getting their hands on whatever's in that cave and we're going to need lots of help.”
 
Several gasps rang out. The Ham-Hams faces were filled with confusion and fear.
 
“Sorry Kai,” said Boss. “We can't help. We may be able to defend ourselves against wild dogs and cats, but they seem like nothing compared to the enemy you described.
 
“Great,” Kai said with extreme disappointment. “We'll just go...”
 
“We'll do it,” interrupted Hamtaro. At this, several loud “whats” bursted from the Ham-Ham's mouths. “Think about it,” Hamtaro said. “Who says we have to barge into your village and take it by force? All we have to do is somehow get into that cave without those guys seeing us, remove whatever's there, and take it back here.
 
“Hamtaro,” said Boss coolly. We've had some rough experiences, but they don't even begin to compare to this. There's a good chance all of us could die.”
 
“But it's our obligation!” yelled Hamtaro. “They ran all the way from their village to find help, almost getting killed. Now, they've found it, but you insist on refusing to help. These guys are our friends!”
 
“Alright,” grunted Boss. “Who agrees?”
 
After a period of silence, Bijou raised her paw and several others followed. A great look of triumph appeared on Hamtaro's face.
 
“Then it's settled!” said Hamtaro joyfully. “All who agree will leave ASAP.” At this, Kai's face became overwhelmed with joy.
 
“I humbly… me… we…I…well…thanks,” he stuttered.
 
“All Ham-Ham's who're going get you're stuff ready. This could be a rough trip,” said Boss. Hamtaro, Bijou, Stan, Sandy, Howdy, Dexter, Maxwell, and Panda all arose and headed toward their rooms. “I guess I'd better tag along too,” said Boss to himself. They're gonna need someone with fighting experience in case we get into a jam.” As he watched his friends walk toward their rooms, a bitter feeling overwhelmed Boss. He couldn't articulate what it was or understand just where it had come from.