Hamtaro Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening ❯ Break ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7
Break
 
A night after the Ham-Ham's return the clubhouse, it was full of noise. Some were conversing, telling tales of the adventure at Altoria.
 
“And so I said to that cloaked guy: `You give that hamster there to me!' He was so afraid of me that he tossed me that hamster and ran off sobin' like a little baby!” Howdy explained to Pashmina.
 
“You're a horrible liar Howdy,” said Dexter shaking his head. “And a horrible storyteller.”
 
“You shut the damn hell up!” Howdy yelled to Dexter. Pashmina just sighed and stroked Penelope.
 
“Well whatever happened, I'm just glad you made it back here alive” Pashmina said.
 
“You mean it!!??” said Howdy and Dexter loudly, each appearing to be in a state of nirvana.
 
Sitting on the table were Bijou, Sandy, and Cappy. Each was sobbing, stricken with grief by the loss of Panda.
 
“I can't… I can't believe he's gone,” said Bijou in between sobs. She blew her nose on her bandaged left arm.
 
Sitting across form Bijou was Cappy, who was crying an ocean of tears.
 
“He was such a great friend and a great ham… If only that green bastard and his gang hadn't shown up, he'd be alive!'
 
Little did Cappy know that Kai, “that green bastard” had been sitting right behind him. Kai cleared his throat loudly and stood up. Cappy turned his chair around, his face turning ghostly white.
 
“What would you have done if your home, which you had sworn to protect, was being destroyed? I did what I had to ok? You knew that casualties were inevitable, but you still went along. You didn't have to, you could have refused, but you didn't. The point is that it was your choice to come along, not mine. Panda's death was as much your fault as it was mine, so don't go blaming it on me.”
 
Kai sat back down, saying nothing more. Cappy turned his chair back around. His tears which had momentarily stopped came back harder than ever.
 
Next to Snoozer lay the hamster that had been recovered from Altoria. After much bickering, the Ham-Hams decided to call him Chaos.
 
“He sure does a good job at casuin' it,” Howdy, who had come up with the name had said.
 
Stan, Oxnard, and Hamtaro were poking him and occasionally hitting him, trying to see if they could get him to wake up.
 
“I wouldn't do that if I were you,” said Cookie who had appeared out of nowhere. “Show the guy some respect.”
 
“Sorry….” mumbled Oxnard.
 
“Whatever,” Cookie said, walking toward the tunnels.
 
“Wait, where are you going?” asked Hamtaro. “The tunnels are like a maze, you might get lost!”
 
“You said one of those tunnels leads to a beach,” Cookie said. “I think I'll go there.
 
“I'll guide you there! I know those tunnels like the back of my paw!” Hamtaro said with pride. “Bijou, wanna come with us?' he called to her.
 
Bijou shook her head, her sears flying every which way. Hamtaro's face turned to an expression of deep sadness. He walked up to Bijou and put his paw on her shoulder.
 
“Thank you Hamtaro,” she whispered weakly. Hamtaro smiled and walked away. “I love you,” she whispered extremely quietly so Hamtaro couldn't hear.
 
Boss, who had been sleeping next to Chaos and Snoozer suddenly snapped awake, his keen ears detecting Bijou's words. Years in the wild had given him the ability to be able to be aware of what was happening around him while he slept. Boss' face turned to an expression of pure horror. His jaw hung open as Bijou's words echoed in his mind. At that moment, everything collapsed. His mind, body, and soul were being ripped apart at the seams. He fought with every fiber of his being to keep the tears from welling up in his eyes. He couldn't let his friends see him like this.
 
“Cappy,” he called to him weakly. “I'm gonna go out for awhile. Stand outside the entrance and guard the clubhouse. I'm pretty sure that cloaked ham and his lackeys will be searching the whole country for us. It's unlikely they'll find us, but we can't take any chances.”
 
. “Yes sir?” he asked with as much enthusiasm as he could. “What hat should I wear sir? My police ham hat, my…”
“Just where whatever the hell you want,” Boss said.
 
“You ok?” Cappy asked with great concern in his voice.
 
`I'm fine,” said Boss, sighing. “I just need to be alone for awhile.
 
Boss got up and walked into the room with the tunnels. Near the entrance, he scooped up a mound of soil, underneath which was a hole with a ladder leading to the bottom. He climbed down, not stopping to cover it as he usually did; he didn't care if his friends found it anymore.
 
He walked for a short while through a tunnel he had dug in secret, in which he had not bothered to install lights, as he thought doing so would give his secret away. Soon Boss came to a dead end and looked up. On the ceiling was a circular door. He gave it a light push and jumped up.
 
Boss found himself in a field that stretched as far as the eye could see. A few steps away from him was a river of equal distance. He sighed and sat down on its edge, the sound of the river breaking down the barriers of his mind. His past memories, which he had been trying his hardest to block, came flooding back.
 
Years ago, he had been in a relationship with hamster named Sunny. She was a house hamster who had run away from her abusive owner. She had no place to live, so Boss brought her back to his home, which would eventually become the Ham-Ham Clubhouse. Their relationship quickly deepened and soon, Boss found himself thinking about marriage.
 
However, there had been one major flaw: Boss had a horrible temper. Once, Boss had seen Sunny talking to another hamster while searching for acorns. His suspicions of Sunny being unfaithful to him grew when she began to be absent from their home frequently. Boss eventually confronted Sunny. She insisted that the hamster was only a friend, but Boss refused to listen. In a rage, he completely destroyed their home and struck Sunny multiple times. Once Boss had regained his sanity, Sunny stormed out of the house, never to be seen again by Boss.
 
He tried to follow her, but got lost and found himself at the river which he sat at now. By the river, he reflected on his life and pledged to avoid being consumed by jealousy and anger. He had always come back to the river whenever something had gone wrong. He visited the river so frequently; he decided to build a tunnel there later soon after his home became the Ham-Ham Clubhouse. During his time as Ham-Ham leader, he found himself visiting the river less and less.
 
Now that Bijou had been stolen from him, Boss felt the old anger that had cost him his first love returning. He was scared, desperately searching in his mind for a way to avoid becoming the ham he had been.
 
His thoughts were suddenly disrupted by a loud sound coming from right behind him. I sounded as if a bomb had gone off. Boss was practically deafened by the sound. It soon receded and a hissing was heard. As soon as Boss was no longer dazed, he turned around.
 
Stand right behind him was a hamster in a dark brown cloak wearing a mask resembling an infant's face.
 
“Hello again Boss,” said the hamster in his youthful, high pitched voice.
 
“How the…you…you're…” Boss babbled.
 
“I've been looking for you,” the hamster said.
 
“How did you find me?' Boss asked, still stunned.
 
The hamster chuckled. “I have my ways.”
 
“What the… what the hell do you want?” Boss asked.
 
“I want to... make a deal with you.”
 
“What!? Just what makes you think I'll even listen? You'll probably just promise e something and kill me as soon as I fulfilled your end of the bargain anyway if I accepted.”
 
The hamster ignored him. “To show you I'm not trying to deceive you, I'll share with you my name and my face. Where I come from, that shows you've made a promise you can't break.”
 
Before Boss could say or do anything, the hamster removed his mask, tossed it over his shoulder, and removed his hood. When Boss saw his face, he gasped.
 
Boss had expected to see a face of pure evil behind that mask. Instead, he saw a hamster with light black fur who was quite the opposite he expected: the most physically perfect hamster he'd ever seen. His eyes were a deep, dark shade of brown that glittered in the moonlight. His cheekbones were extremely well defined; his teeth, made visible by the hamster's sinister smile were pearly white. His face itself radiated the purity and majesty of youth.
 
“My name is Shadow,” the hamster said. “I've come to offer you something you desperately need in exchange for a small little favor.”
 
“Just leave me alone Shadow!” Boss yelled.
 
“Just hear me out ok!?” Shadow yelled back. His facial expression tone of voice had changed. Boss detected desperation. It was if the world depended on Boss accepting his offer. “If you accept, everything you desire could be yours, including that frenchham.” Boss gasped at this; Shadow smiled again for a split second. “If you just accept, you can get back what was stolen from you!'
 
The barriers in Boss' mind blocking Shadow's words had begun to crack.
 
“Elaborate,” Boss said. “If I were to accept, what would happen?”
 
“I'd give you the will and power you need to take back what you lost,” Shadow said.
 
“Stop it with the vague remarks!”
 
“Ok, ok! I'd put a seal on you that would release the powers that are trapped inside you. With that power you can reclaim your little club from Hamtaro! You could show your friends who their true leader is! All you need to do is bring me that hamster you brought back from Altoria.”
 
“I still don't trust you! You massacred an entire village for God's sake!”
 
“Believe me, I didn't harm a hair on those villager's bodies. I had my minions do all the killing. I don't like blood shed anymore than you do.”
 
“Uh-huh,” Boss said, still unconvinced.
 
“Look, if I would have had a choice in the matter, I wouldn't have killed them, but unfortunately, I didn't, ok?”
 
Boss no longer doubted the validity of Shadow's words; true guilt was in his voice.
 
“Do you accept?” Shadow asked again.
 
“I don't… I don't know,” Boss said.
 
“Well, at least consider my offer. Meet me back here tomorrow at the same time.” Shadow turned around and began to walk away.
 
“Wait…” Boss said. I…..I…. accept.”
 
Shadow turned around, grinning from ear to ear. “Excellent!” he said walking up to Boss. “I just need a sample of your blood now.”
 
Boss gulped as he grabbed a sharp stone nearby. He closed his eyes and slashed his arm, making a large, but not deep cut. He held his bleeding arm over Shadow's cupped paws.
 
`One last question: will I hurt anyone? All I want to do is… teach Hamtaro and the Ham-Hams a little lesson,” he said to Shadow, who was drawing some sort of symbol on his right paw with Boss' blood.
 
“Dunno,” Shadow said. He then slapped his blood covered paw on Boss' stomach.
 
Boss felt nothing at first. In a moment however, he began to feel faint. His mind and body felt as if they were dissolving. The barriers of Boss' soul shattered and something long restrained burst through. Then came that wave, the great and terrible, yet heavenly wave of power!
 
Boss let out a long, loud scream, born again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Ok, so this chapter was longer than I thought it would be… If you think this one was a shocker, wait till you read the next!
 
This might be the last chapter I'll post until the week of January 2nd. Hopefully, you all have the patience to wait.
 
Read and review!