Hamtaro Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening ❯ Resistance ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10:
Resistance
 
Oxnard zipped through the streets of Laura's neighborhood, searching desperately for her house. He was lost, scared and almost completely fatigued. Without doubt, this was the worst night of his life. He took a left. The road looked familiar. He was getting closer! He suddenly found himself at a cul-de-sac. Letting out a loud scream of frustration, he turned around, heading down the opposite road.
 
His worry for the safety of his friends grew more intense by the minute. It had taken him about 30 minutes to get over to Laura's neighborhood. Everyone could be dead by now and it would all be his fault. Then a question suddenly popped into his head:
 
Why do we even need Hamtaro?
 
With his lack of experience in battle, Hamtaro would be almost useless. Oxnard figured Kai needed all the hampower he could find in order to fight off this menace. If that was the case, a single hamster could mean victory or defeat for the Ham-Hams.
 
Finally, Oxnard arrived at a familiar row of houses. Turning around, he found himself directly in front of Laura's home. Luckily for him, there was a tree next to the window of Laura's room. Oxnard grabbed a handful pebble from the ground, stuffed them in his mouth, and slowly climbed up the tree. Through the window, he could see both Laura and Hamtaro sleeping peacefully. The blissful look on Hamtaro's face made Oxnard reluctant to intrude upon his peaceful sleep. Then another thought occurred to him: what about Laura? Oxnard could only imagine what would happen in a few short hours: Laura would awaken and be overjoyed to see her beloved hamster that had been missing for days. If Hamtaro were to leave, there would be a good chance of him losing his life. Oxnard could only imagine how miserable Laura's life would get if that were to happen.
 
Before Oxnard could think any further, he spat the pebbles in his mouth into his paw. He tossed one at the window, hoping it would get Hamtaro to wake up. It didn't. Oxnard tried again. Still nothing. He tossed a third pebble at the window and Hamtaro stirred. Oxnard then through all the pebbles he had at the window and Hamtaro shot right up, fully awake. He gazed around the room, fear in his eyes. When his eyes settled on the window and he saw Oxnard, the fear disappeared.
 
Hamtaro managed to break out of his cage and exit the house via the gutter as he usually did. Oxnard slowly climbed down the tree.
 
“Is something wrong?” Hamtaro asked.
 
Oxnard didn't know whether to yell at Hamtaro for leaving the clubhouse or inform him of the situation. He chose the latter. “Something's come up. You need to get back to the clubhouse.”
 
“What happened?” Hamtaro asked with great concern.
 
Oxnard shook his head. “I don't know. I just hope the others are ok…”
 
 
 
Kai's body had just about had it. It was covered with bruises and swellings. Its energy was running out. Kai did his best to keep his body moving. If Boss took him out, the Ham-Hams would have to fight. If that happened, they'd undoubtedly be slaughtered.
 
Kai charged at Boss, who had suffered much less injuries. He knocked Kai down and punched him right in the ribs. Kai felt something crack inside him. He had probably just broken at leant two ribs. Boss attempted to punch Kai again, but Kai caught his arm and twisted with all his power. Boss screamed in pain. Kai quickly got up and punched Boss repeatedly on the sides of his head. Before he could recover, Kai delivered a powerful blow to the stomach. Boss collapsed and Kai jumped on his back. Boss got up and attempted to shake Kai off, but he held on, digging his nails into Boss' tough skin. Eventually, Kai was unable to hold on and slipped off Boss. Boss turned to face Kai, who delivered a blow to the throat. Boss collapsed, coughing and gasping for air.
 
Kai's head turned at cries of: “what?” and “huh?” from the Ham-Hams. From the tunnels emerged Cookie.
 
“What…” she began to say.
 
“Shut up!” Kai yelled. “Take… take Chaos and Snoozer to… another room. No time for questions.”
 
Cookie nodded and ran past Boss, grabbing both Chaos and Snoozer, dragging them both into the hall. Kai felt relieved. At last their precious treasure was now safe from Boss.
 
This relief was short lived however as Boss quickly recovered and charged at Kai. Kai managed to evade him. Unable to stop himself, Boss ran right into the wall. Dazed from the impact, he began to slash at nothing, trying to find Kai. Kai took advantage of this numerous times, striking at Boss whenever and wherever he could without Boss noticing him. The fact that Kai may come through victorious stimulated him and replenished the energy lost earlier. He snuck up behind Boss and grabbed both his arms. It was a struggle but he managed to pull him over to a wall, spin him around and pin him right to the wall by the arms. Kai kicked Boss in the stomach several times. Each time, Boss' roars of pain grew more intense. With each cry, Kai's hopes grew bigger and bigger. Now, he was sure he'd be able to pull through and forcibly extract the reason for Boss' transformation from him. Boss suddenly coughed up a large gob of blood, which flew onto Kai's face. This distraction allowed Boss to break free and grab Kai. He wrapped his gargantuan arms around him, locking Kai in a deadly embrace.
 
“IVE GOT YA NOW!!!” Boss screamed sadistically. He squeezed Kai harder and harder. It was nearly impossible for Kai to breathe now. The pressure on his body was getting more intense. Kai felt his bones could shatter any second. He resisted as much as he could. He wasn't quite ready to be taken by death just yet. He opened his mouth and bit Boss on the arm. His teeth didn't go in far, but it was enough to make Boss drop him.
 
He plopped on the floor. After a few seconds he attempted to pick himself up. His body wouldn't move. No matter how hard Kai willed his body to move, it wouldn't. He suddenly felt a deep, intense pain in his back. Boss had delivered one last knock there. He closed his eyes, praying that playing possum would work. Evidentially, it did. Boss gazed at Kai's body and walked away toward the Ham-Hams. Kai realized that playing possum had been a bad idea, a very bad idea. Now, Boss was going to attack his friends and there was nothing Kai could do about it.
 
Boss grinned devilishly at the Ham-Hams. His eyes fell on Bijou, who was standing in front of everyone else. He grabbed her by the arm.
 
“Come!!” he yelled intensely. Bijou attempted to resist, but Boss' grip was too powerful. He slammed her on the ground, licking his lips. Boss reached toward her and Bijou kicked him between the legs before he could do anything. The roar of pain that followed was absolutely terrifying. Eventually, the screaming gave way to a series of rapid, shallow breaths.
 
“Resistin' eh?” Boss said in between breaths. “Ya won't believe how much that turns me on!”
 
“Boss!” said a high voice coming from the other side of the clubhouse. All eyes turned toward the entrance. Standing there was Hamtaro. As Kai gazed at him, he felt a deep pity and tenderness for that brave, doomed hamster.