Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / Other Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Fusion of Destinies ❯ Way To Fall ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fusion of Destinies
a Harry Potter/Metroid crossover
Chapter 22: Way To Fall
4-12-2006
by Grey

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter series and all of its characters are the creation and property of J. K. Rowling. Samus Aran and the Metroid series are the creation and property of Nintendo, and was originally masterminded by Gunpei Yokoi (1941-1997) .

This fic is dedicated to Razor Knight and CubedCinder128, whose support gave me the confidence I needed to write this thing.


"Yes Samus, it was me all this time," said Voldemort simply. "And at last, the two of us meet face-to-face."

Samus kept staring down Voldemort while keeping her arm cannon trained on him, but she didn't fire. Her gut was telling her that he was expecting a full-frontal assault right then and she didn't want to play into any of his traps. Samus didn't exactly know what he was capable of, and until she had a better idea of what she was up against, she wanted to play it safe. It was a tactically sound and cautious approach, but still, every fiber of her being was itching to blow Voldemort away and blast his atoms across the galaxy. The way Harry was being used by him filled her with livid fury.

Voldemort, meanwhile, was staring down Samus as well, his scarlet, serpentine eyes glowering at her from underneath his hood. However, his wand wasn't raised; his arm was idly hanging at his side, as if he thought Samus was no threat. He then began to slowly walk to his right, as if he meant to steadily circle around her and scrutinize her closely. Suddenly, he spoke up. "So, you say you shouldn't have been surprised, Samus? Not once did you think that I might have been behind it all?"

Samus glared at Voldemort. "Oh, believe me, the possibility crossed my mind. In hindsight, it's so obvious: who else would've known about the Chamber of Secrets, or focused so much on Hogwarts? But there was so much evidence ruling you out."

Voldemort let out a soft, humorless chuckle. "Oh, indeed there was, my Chozo-blooded friend. It was because I made a point of operating in total secrecy. Not even my Death Eaters know about this, and I wanted to make sure that senile old fool and his lot would be kept guessing until it was too late. For instance, that's why I had Lucius Malfoy attacked at the Handu Mountain Preserve, to make sure the Order would continue to doubt I was involved. Besides, I consider that his punishment for not truly trying to help me all these years. Those scars on his chest will never fade and will always ache from time to time." He chuckled again as he continued to slowly circle Samus, staring into her eyes.

Voldemort's words filled Samus with even more doubt, having remembered all the things that the Order believed had ruled him out. There's more to this than meets the eye, I'm sure of it, thought Samus furiously. She quickly switched on her scan visor, hoping to get more answers that way.

However, her scan visor wasn't able to get any information. Apparently, there was some sort of field of energy surrounding Voldemort that prevented her visor from scanning his body. Her visor was still able to get a lock onto him, but it was impossible to scan him closely. Oh that's lovely, Samus thought dejectly. Hopefully I'll still be able to target him with missiles once the fireworks start.

At that instant, Voldemort spoke up again. "Hmmm, Legilimancy seems to not work on you, my dear. Perhaps your mind is too well-disciplined to allow anyone to intrude upon it, or maybe that visor of yours is somehow protecting you from me," he said flatly. "Probably the latter," he added imperiously.

Despite herself, Samus felt her lips curl into a snarl after hearing Voldemort's arrogant tone. However, she was more concerned with what Voldemort said. Legilimency? I think I heard McGonagall use that word a few times. I think it has something to do with telepathy, she thought. But suddenly, an idea came to her about how to steer this conversation in her favor. "Well, if you must know what I'm thinking, it's that, well...you're not as ugly as I imagined you'd be."

A small smile formed on Voldemort's lips. "Oh, is that so?" he asked with mock curiousity.

"Yeah. You're MUCH uglier than I pictured," was Samus's reply.

Voldemort's smile vanished in an instant. Samus then smiled herself, thinking that her plan was working. If I can just get him steamed up, it'll work to my advantage in a fight. Edgy people make more mistakes, she thought. Encouraged, Samus continued. "But don't worry, when it comes to the title of 'Ugliest-Ass Supervillain in History', you'll always come in second to Mother Brain. Damn, she was one UGLY motherf...."

"That's enough," said Voldemort sharply. "I don't need Legilimency to see what you're trying to do, Samus. Very clever, trying to rile me before a fight can even start. But mark my words, Samus, it won't work. I didn't achieve all that I have in my lifetime by falling prey to my passions."

Kind of an oxymoron coming from someone who's been motivated by hatred all his life, from what I understand, thought Samus. Out loud, she said, "Like what? Having your own power backfire on you over thirteen years ago, or letting Harry get away from you because you didn't have the skill or the nerve to finish him off?"

Voldemort let out another nerve-chilling chuckle. "Both of those were just lucky breaks on Potter's part, I assure you." Then he looked up at the ceiling, to where Harry was encased in that strange, clear crystal. "However, it's true that I am guilty of underestimating him. I should have learned not to by now. When I first realized he had accompanied you, I thought it would be a simple matter to eliminate him. But no matter how many X parasites I sent his way, he kept coming and coming."

And you only came after him yourself when he was exhausted and weak, you coward, Samus reminded herself.

Voldemort returned his gaze to Samus. "You, however, I knew would be a danger from the start," he went on as he kept circling Samus. "I knew that once I delved into the preserved memories within the X that I brought here."

Voldemort then laughed again. A loud, cold, mirthless laugh. "I suppose you're wondering how I managed to start all this. Well, out of respect for what you've accomplished so far, I'll tell you. Dumbledore must have told you of that special time-travelling charm that lets the caster see glimpses of the distant future, and bring back a desired weapon. It was no mystery how I managed to get all the necessary potion ingredients and other items for the charm without raising suspicions at the Ministry: I already had them at hand before I lost my powers, since I knew conditions would be right to use them soon enough. But that run-in with Potter changed everything. Fortunately for me, astrological conditions were perfect again a few days after I was restored, though I didn't tell my Death Eaters about any of this.

"When I ingested the brew and began to get flashes of what was to come in the future, I saw many things that I could possibly use. Marvellous new charms and potions and magical artifacts that will be invented in the next few centuries, as well as advanced technology and weaponry made by Muggles to slaughter each other, as well as other forms of life they encountered beyond our world. But none of that really appealed to me. Nothing stood out. And then...."

"And then what?" snapped Samus impatiently, still on guard for an attack by Voldemort.

"Then I saw flashes of you, Samus," Voldemort went on. "A mysterious figure, a warrior who travels alone and fights like a possessed woman, carving a path of destruction. At first, I thought your suit could be useful. But then I saw some of the things you encountered. These Metroids you know so well, the magnificent creations of your Chozo people...but when I saw the X parasites and what they could do, how quickly they could propogate, I knew I found something that would grant me power beyond my wildest dreams.

"I made up my mind and I took that solitary escape pod. I wanted THOSE parasites, for they already had sampled many of the exquisite aliens you've fought in your lifetime, and furthermore, since the SA-X was absorbed by you, they were leaderless and without guidance. Like a man who's will has been broken, it was much simpler to begin my task of putting them under my complete control. It took several months of experimenting with the Imperius Curse and other magic, though.

"I also managed to bring back several sections of that space station, which proved to be the perfect place to breed these parasites. At first, I thought it distasteful to bother working with Muggle technology, but the more I worked with it, the more I realized how much potential these machines have. I hate to admit it, but the Muggles in your time have created true masterpieces that have served me well. So over the course of several months, I used my power to restore them, piece the station back together and construct a new one. It took a great deal of effort but it was well worth it: it's the perfect hiding place, beyond the reach of Dumbledore and his Order."

"But not beyond MY reach," spat Samus dangerously. "I was able to find my way to your hideout, and here I am, ready to blow your ass away. You should've known that that spell also brings back the one most capable of defeating whatever you bring back, Riddle," she finished, hoping the use of his real name would rile him.

It worked. Voldemort's face contorted into a snarl, but after a few seconds, he regained his composure. "Oh, I was all too aware. The spell's nasty downside somehow even delivered you and your ship right into the hands of my enemies. And that old fool even took you in...a freakish Muggle in the employ of Hogwarts...."

"How come you never came after me sooner, if you were so certain I'd be a threat?" asked Samus.

"Well, I desired to keep my plans a secret from everyone. Like I said, even my Death Eaters know nothing about this. Considering how almost all of them seemingly abandoned me, I wasn't sure I could trust any of them, as my only truly loyal followers were either dead or in Azkaban. So I didn't want to do anything suspicious. I couldn't barge into Hogwarts and finish you myself, and I couldn't order Snape to kill you since he's working for me as a spy."

At least you THINK he is, Samus thought slyly. But then she remembered how Harry and Ron had voiced their doubts about Snape's loyalty. Before she could dwell on it further, Voldemort continued.

"Besides, Snape told me that you somehow had been stricken with amnesia; an unexpected side-effect from travelling through time, I suppose. I was content with having him watch you closely, and if he saw any signs that you'd regained your memory, I would have acted.

"But as the months went on, more and more of the station was rebuilt, ready to be used as breeding grounds. And I had finally devised a means of controlling the X completely. I was ready to act. I had a small army of X parasites invade the school and begin breeding in the Chamber of Secrets, as well as copy the basilisk that Potter slaughtered." Samus could clearly detect the resentment in Voldemort's voice as he recalled hearing how Harry had killed the basilisk with nothing but a sword. "My first task was to eliminate you, and once that was done, I felt I could pick up where I left off over fifty years ago. I could fulfill my obligation as Salazar Slytherin's heir and rid Hogwarts of all the Mudblood filth, then move on to bigger, grander schemes."

"It didn't work though, did it?" asked Samus mockingly. "I survived all your attempts to assasinate me, and what's more, thanks to you, I got my memory back. Harry and I then went on to wipe out all the X who had set up shop in your old hideout. Some master planner you are, Riddle."

Voldemort snarled as Samus again, and she swore she heard a faint hissing as well. "I admit that I failed to anticipate you regaining your memory because of the dementors. Or that, somehow, the Order would find a way to have that Metroid DNA of yours put into Harry after you told them everything."

"Yeah, well...." Samus began, but the mention of Harry made her realize something. "Wait a minute...you also planned on infecting Harry from the beginning, didn't you!?"

"Heh heh, of course I did," said Voldemort coolly. "It was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. To be able to completely take over the body, mind and soul of the boy that had frustrated me for so long, and make him the vanguard of my parasite army. So when that Space Pirate was defeated, I seized the opportunity and had him infected. Of course, the Order found a way to cure him, so I had to settle with creating a copy of Potter. I still can't get over the irony of it all: one of my deadliest instruments of destruction was a perfect copy of the boy that fools everywhere thought of as a savior."

Samus felt as if her head was going to explode with anger from the way he was callously talking about Harry. Her desire to shut Voldemort up was getting stronger by the second, but she forced herself to hold back for the moment. "At that point, even though the Order now knew about the X parasites, I had no choice but to proceed with my plans," Voldemort continued. "I had the HP-X resurrect your own doppleganger with a potion of my own design, then had them attack the Handu Mountain Preserve, as a display of my power and to increase my forces even more. And soon, I'll be ready to move on. I can easily raze entire Muggle cities to the ground with the army of X parasites I've amassed here. No magical government in the world could possibly muster enough force to resist the onslaught that's in store. The world can be remade as I and my Death Eaters see fit!" he finished in a hysterical voice.

Just another one of history's many megalomaniacs. I should've guessed, thought Samus dryly. Out loud, she shouted, "It won't be that easy, Riddle! According to Adam, you need X-Cores to relay your commands to all the other X parasites, and you don't have...."

Voldemort let out another peal of laughter that cut Samus off. "So what!? What you say is true, but given a few days, more X-Cores can be created, in numbers far greater than the amount you've fought here today!"

"And just how do you intend to get them OFF this station and to Earth?" demanded Samus. "Your X parasites can't simply teleport themselves off this station. The only spacecraft you had was destroyed by Adam!"

Voldemort just laughed again. "You fool! You think I don't have other craft ready!? I only had that one shuttle rebuilt to lure Potter back to the docking bay so that both your dopplegangers could eventually ambush him. I have more hidden away, and your dear computer friend can't possibly stop them, not once I Apparate onto your ship again and completely put it out of commission!"

The thought of Voldemort callously destroying what was left of her old friend filled her once again with vindictive fury. He really is no better than Mother Brain and the Space Pirates, she thought to herself. Fueled by hatred and self-righteous arrogance, thinking his kind are superior...I have to beat him here and now, before he can unleash all those X parasites. Suddenly, she realized that killing Voldemort might alter Earth's history; it may not yet be the time for someone to ultimately defeat him. But there was no other choice. If Voldemort went on with his plan to use the X parasites, history would be changed anyway, and for the worst.

And what if he ever lost control of the X parasites? They would spread across the galaxy like a plague. Once again, she found the safety of the entire galaxy resting squarely on her shoulders, and it did nothing to assuage her anxieties. "You're the fool, Riddle," she spat. "Did you ever stop to consider what would happen if you ever lost your hold on the X? EVERYTHING on Earth would be overrun, and then the entire galaxy would be at risk. All civilization in the galaxy would come to an end, thanks to you."

"You underestimate my power, Samus," replied Voldemort acidly. "I assure you, I didn't spend all these months devising an intricate set of charms and enchantments just to have my own weapons turn on me. They're under my complete control, and no force in existence will be able to stand against them." He then slowly raised his wand. "No one except for you and Harry Potter. It's obvious now that no amount of X parasites will stop you, so that pleasure will be all mine. Oh, and don't worry about your young protege, Samus. I won't bring him into this. He will merely watch from up there, and witness how even his bounty hunting Muggle friend is no match for me. Then I shall fight him alone, and this time eradicate him without fail, proving to everyone, once and for all, who the strongest truly is."

This was it. The time for talk was over. The lives of Harry and Adam, the future of the galaxy...once again, everything depended on Samus. All depended on whether or not she could stand up to this Dark wizard and annihilate him. A small part of her still doubted she could fight on when the lives of those close to her were on the line, still doubted that she'd be able to get them out of this mess alive, but she forced those thoughts down. There was no room for self-doubt now. It was time to simply act.

Samus armed her missile launched and fired a single ice missile at Voldemort. Voldemort was ready, though. He took aim and shouted, "Avada Kedavra!"

And at that instant, all hell officially broke loose.


High above the bounty huntress and the Dark wizard, trapped within that mysterious, clear crystal, Harry Potter could only watch helplessly as the two started attacking each other, signalling the start of what would no doubt be a gruesome fight to the death. A strange pressure was being exerted upon him from all sides, holding him motionless. He couldn't breathe, but somehow, the magic of the crystal was keeping him alive without air. He couldn't move, save for his eyes. A mixed blessing, as that would let him follow the battle closely, a battle which his friend might lose....

Never before had Harry felt this hopeless. Once again his arch-enemy was toying with him, but this time, he was being forced to watch helplessly as the warrior who had befriended him fought on. He had faith in Samus's power, but still, he desperately wished he was free of the crystal and was down below helping Samus out. He tried to struggle against the crystal, but the magic had him completely trapped. There was nothing he could do except watch the battle and pray that Samus could complete her mission alone....

Harry felt like crying, but the magic of the crystals prevented him from doing even that....


Voldemort's Killing Curse struck Samus's ice missile when it was only about three feet away from his face. His curse immediately caused the missile to detonate, and an explosive wave of ice and cold radiated outwards, but it didn't hurt Voldemort in the least. But Samus had counted on Voldemort parrying that attack. She merely wanted to distract him for a split-second while she made her next move.

The bounty huntress bolted forward and went into a screw roll, rolling through the cloud of frosty particles and barrelling right toward Voldemort. Unfortunately for Samus, Voldemort saw it coming and at the last second conjured up a defense. With a wave of his wand, a large, gleaming, silver shield with a snake engraved upon it suddenly appeared in his left hand, and he brought it up to protect himself.

Samus slammed right into it and kept rolling, filling the air with a hideous scraping sound as her spinning body grinded against the shield, slowly inching Voldemort back. This went on for a few seconds, but then Voldemort made a swishing movement with his wand. A loud explosion went off right undeneath Samus, sending up a plume of cracked masonry and dirt that propelled both of them backward. Voldemort landed on his feet, while Samus came out of her screw rool and unceremoniously hit the ground. But she immediately got back on her feet and faced Voldemort.

Voldemort was running to his right now, keeping his newly-conjured shield placed in front of him and aiming his wand from behind it. The icy cries of "Avada Kedavra!" filled the air and deadly jets of green light sped toward Samus, but she evaded them all by deftly jumping and strafing to the side. Never staying still for a second, Samus brought up her arm cannon as she focused on Voldemort, and breathed a sigh of relief when she found out her targeting sensors could still lock onto him. She tried sending more ice missiles his way, but he used Reductor Curses in an almost lazy manner to get rid of them well before they reached him. Then he continued his barrage of Killing Curses.

He's not going to be an easy one to beat, Samus realized as she swerved her body, a jet of green light rushing past her, far too close for comfort. He'll destroy any missile he sees coming, and any beam fire he'll probably block too. This is going to be a battle of attrition.

Samus charged a blast as she ran toward Voldemort, hoping to move in closer. That would also make her an easier target, but the less distance their was between them, the less likely Voldemort could use his magic to block her attacks in time. As she neared Voldemort, he raised his wand over his head. He's trying something other than Avada Kedavra, she realized, watching closely. She fired her charged blast, hoping to get him to break off whatever he was trying. But he merely brought up his shield, and the plasma and electricity dissipated into nothingness. Then he flung his wand forward and bellowed, "Glacius!"

A thick, frigid mist shot out of Voldemort's wand with incredible force. It was like the breath attack of an adult sheegoth, but much more intense. The frigid mist spread out over a great horizontal distance as it rushed toward her. Panicking, Samus leaped upwards over the frosty gale and kept space jumping. Maybe I can come down on him with the screw attack, she thought hopefully.

It was probably what Voldemort had counted on. He raised his arm up, and the blast of frigid air swept upwards and engulfed Samus. "Arggh!" she screamed. The sudden rush of piercing cold caught Samus completely off-guard, breaking her concentration and making her fall to the ground a few feet behind Voldemort.

He suckered me into a trap! thought Samus frustratedly as she got back up, already recovering from the icy chill. I can't risk flying, it leaves me too wide open, she realized. Voldemort was turning around to attack her again, but Samus saw an opportunity to catch him off-guard as well. She switched on her grapple beam and lashed out with her wisp whip. Voldemort couldn't bring his shield up in time and the ghastly plasma tore through him, eliciting a loud howl of pain. Encouraged by this, Samus quickly struck Voldemort two more times, and she was certain she heard flesh charring. Then she made a powerful downward stroke with her arm cannon, causing the tip of her whip to dig into the ground directly underneath Voldemort, creating a explosive flash that scooped him up into the air. Gotcha, she thought triumphantly as she leaped up with the screw attack. Voldemort was still too bewildered and confused by the time Samus's spinning body reached him, but when she made contact, he wasn't sliced apart. Some sort of field of energy surrounding his body kept his body parts from being splattered across the chamber. But Samus could still hear a hiss of pain.

Voldemort's body tumbled lifelessly to the floor as Samus began descending as well. However, an instant before Voldemort would have collided with the floor, he simply vanished and a loud cracking sound filled the air. This took Samus by surprise, and she glanced about wildly, trying to spot him. After a few seconds, she noticed a faint blip on her radar, indicating something was directly behind her. But before she could whirl around, she heard the resounding cry of "Avada Kedavra!"

Just like when the HP-X had lashed out with a Killing Curse, a wave of horrific numbness washed over her, and for a brief instant, it felt as if she ceased to exist. However, it only lasted a brief moment, probably due to the extra protection offered by her scale suit. Samus turned around and fired her beam wildly. Voldemort had been about twenty feet behind her, and he took off to his left, running so fast it looked as if he were gliding on air like a dementor. He fired off another Killing Curse, but Samus jumped to avoid it as she charged up a blast.

I can't believe I'd forgotten about how wizards can teleport themselves, Samus thought angrily. That mistake could've cost me even more if it weren't for this suit upgrade. Samus then glanced at the top of her HUD, noticing that almost four energy tanks had been drained. One hit with Glacius and one hit with Avada Kedavra did that. I really need to be more careful from now on, she realized.

Samus held onto her charged shot, not wanting to waste it. She wanted to wait for an opening, but for a while, Voldemort just kept running around, occassionally sending out Killing Curses and bursts of freezing mist. Samus found his tactics bewildering; she had expected a fight with a wizard to be unlike anything else she had been through, but this was turning out to be like yet another shootout with the SA-X.

Eventually, though, Voldemort halted and stayed in one spot. Samus thought she saw a malevolent glint in his yes, as if he had another plan. She fired her charged blast at him, but once again he blocked it with his shield. Then he aimed his wand straight up and made a downward slashing movement with his arm. A visible rush of air swept outwards toward Samus. She easily jumped aside, but felt the tremendous force of whatever Voldemort's attack was as it rushed by. Voldemort continued to stand in place, making slashing movements with his wand and sending out torrents of air that would have easily sliced through Samus's suit. They came so rapidly, one after the other, Samus barely had time to dodge one before another one came at her.

Panic almost overtook her, but at one point, Samus realized Voldemort was no longer making an effort to keep his shield raised. And because he was so busy using his wand to send out deadly blasts of wind, he couldn't destroy any incoming missiles. After jumping aside to evade yet another rush of piercing wind, she locked onto Voldemort and fired three missiles. Voldemort had just sent out another blast of wind, which sliced apart one of the missiles, but couldn't cast any curses to deal with the remaining two. Both of them hit their target, freezing the Dark Lord solid. However, Samus noticed that the ice was breaking apart almost immediately, but she had readied a charged shot. Once Voldemort freed himself, it was heading his way. He couldn't bring up his shield fast enough, and plasma tore through his body, making an awful searing sound.

Good, I'm wearing him down. He's not unbeatable, Samus thought, her hopes beginning to rise. But as she was thinking that, a loud cracking sound resounded throughout the huge chamber, heralding the fact that Voldemort had Disapparated again. Samus forced herself not let her apprehension overwhelm her as she cautiously looked about, waiting for him to appear again.

"I must say, you're doing much better than I thought you would," came Voldemort's icy, mocking voice. Samus's left hand balled into a fist. "I can't remember the last time that I've faced a daunting challenge such as this. You are every bit the warrior that people in your time claim you are." Samus frantically glanced about, eager to shut him up for good. Eventually, she spotted him again, more than thirty feet away, and it looked as if he was readying another deadly rush of wind.

No wonder you're finding this so tough. You don't learn, Samus thought dryly as she took aim. But when Voldemort brought his arm down in a slashing motion, no rush of air came at her. For a second, Samus stood there, confused by this turn of events. Then, what looked like thick, blackened tree roots erupted out of the floor's tiles, wrapping around her tightly and holding her in place.

"That should keep you still long enough!" bellowed Voldemort boastfully as he raised his arm again. Another deadly rush of wind sped toward Samus, which would have easily cut her in half. But Samus calmed herself, charging up a blast and extending the fins underneath her left forearm at the same time. In one swift motion, she sliced apart the ugly roots binding her, then dashed aside an instant before the blast of wind would've hit her. She then immediately let loose her charged blast, which ripped through Voldemort before he could deflect it.

Oh yeah? asked Samus silently. She followed up with more ice missiles, but Voldemort lazily shot them down with Reductor Curses. Then he retaliated with a Killing Curse, and this time Samus was too slow. The jet of green light struck her squarely in the chest, and that all-consuming numbness swept over her her another brief moment. She recovered in time to dodge another Killing Curse coming at her, glancing at the HUD's data as she did so. Almost half of her suit's energy was gone now. Things aren't going so well after all. Half my power is gone, and I have no idea just how much punishment Riddle can take, she thought, but she refused to give in to hopelessness. She had to fight on.

Voldemort sent out another Killing Curse, but Samus easily jumped to avoid it, then unleashed more beam fire down at the Dark wizard. Voldemort had ample time to bring up his shield to deflect Samus's fire. Then, once Samus had touched down again, he tried something new: the Imperius Curse. And he made a direct hit with it.

For a few moments, Samus's mind was completely blank, as if her brain was suddenly incapable of thought. Off in the distance, Voldemort was saying something. He was too far away to be able to make out his words, but from the tone of his voice, it sounded as if he was making a command.

Whatever part of her that was still capable of conscious thought picked up on that tidbit, and it served to infuriate her. Mind control, eh? came a voice in the back of her head. Fuck him. You know what to do.

That's right, I do, Samus thought. Suddenly, she could concentrate again. She raised her arm cannon and fired a missile right at Voldemort, and it homed in on him. Despite the distance between them, Samus could see the shocked expression in his eyes, and that made her grin inwardly. Voldemort was able to smash it with a single curse, but while he was distracted, Samus ran forward and toward her left. Once she was close enough, she cut loose with another charged blast, and Voldemort failed to block it in time.

More Killing Curses were sent her way almost immediately, forcing Samus to back off again. However, she noticed that some acrid smoke was coming from Voldemort's body, as if the flesh underneath his robes was being burned away. It's working. I'm wearing him down, she thought hopefully. But as soon as that thought had gone through her mind, Voldemort waved his wand again, trying out a new tactic....

Several of the tiles in the floor popped loose and, while floating in midair, reformed into what looked like gigantic circular saw blades, which were roughly her height. It looked like there were about five or six of them. They began to glow white-hot and were surrounded by intense flame. Then, they started spinning and dug into the ground, effortlessly slicing through the stone floor. Half of each blade remained above ground as they sped across the chamber.

One of the blades came right at Samus, forcing her to jump straight up. A Killing Curse came at her while she was in midair, but she swerved her body around to avoid getting hit. When she touched down again, another blade was coming at her from her right side. She dashed aside to avoid it, but Voldemort used the opportunity to lash out with another Killing Curse. This time, he made a direct hit, and Samus was paralyzed with numbness. This time, the effects lasted longer, but she regathered her wits in time to evade two more spinning blades coming at her.

Voldemort's no dummy. He's trying to keep me distracted with these blades so I can't focus on him, Samus realized. I'll have to do something about these blades first. She figured the best way to deal with them would be to freeze them, considering how they were ablaze with white-hot energy. But her missiles would be sliced apart, so that left only one option.

Oh, this is going to hurt, Samus thought acidly as she switched her beam's ice effect on. Another white-hot spinning blade was heading for her just then. She took aim and rapidly fired her beam. The blade instantly shattered from being cooled so rapidly. She then heard Voldemort bellow, "Avada Kedavra!" and took evasive action, speeding out of the line of fire with the screw roll. She saw two more blades come at her when she came out of her screw roll, and she promptly shot them. A wave of excruciating pain dug into her skull as she used the ice beam again, and it happened again as she wiped out the last two coming at her.

"Good work, Samus," called out Voldemort from across the chamber, his tone flat and emotionless. "But this is where it gets interesting." With that, he raised his wand again....

A small rumbling reverberated throughout the chamber, making Samus feel nervous, despite herself. She had no idea what Voldemort was planning but she knew it couldn't be good news for her.

Several spots along the chamber floor looked as if they had turned to molten liquid, and the spots steadily grew larger. At first, Samus was afraid that Voldemort was trying to turn their entire battlefield into some sort of quicksand, but then, she saw something rise from each of the pools...what looked like the tops of large stone pillars, each with the sculpture of a serpent on each of their four sides. There were six in all, arranged in a ring, and there was about thirty feet between each pillar top and the surrounding walls. They slowly rose higher, being levitated near the ceiling. Voldemort then whipped his wand through the air, and a wind current propelled him upward. He landed on top of one of the platforms as it continued to rise. They eventually stopped when they reached a height of about fifty feet.

"Come now, Samus!" boomed Voldemort's high, cold voice from up above. "Let's take out battle up here. Fighting under conditions like this should be child's play to you, right?"

Samus just stared up at the floating stone platforms, unsure of what to do. It was true that jumping from platform to platform while shooting at enemies was something she was most skilled at. But going airborne while fighting Voldemort had already proven to be a bad idea, as if left her vulnerable, and she still had a nagging feeling she hadn't seen everything in his bag of tricks. And Voldemort's too mobile, she realized. He could just teleport around, or kick up more wind currents. But I won't have a as much room to maneuver on those pillars. I have a nasty feeling that if I go up there, I'll just be playing into a trap.

However, there was no getting around it. Voldemort was up there, and she had to take the fight to him if she hoped to finish him off and end the threat of the X forever. She noticed she only had five energy tanks left after a quick glance at her HUD, but she figured that Voldemort was at the end of his rope too if he was trying a stunt like this. This is it, then. Here I go, thought Samus as she began space jumping upward.

Samus had expected Voldemort would try to strike her down while she ascended, but no Killing Curse came at her. She eventually touched down on one of the stone platforms, directly across from the one Voldemort was perched upon. Each platform was about fifteen feet wide, so at least there was some room to maneuver and avoid curses. There was also a strange, blue gem embedded in the center, but Samus didn't really notice. Wasting no time, she fired a missile at Voldemort. He had plenty of time to destroy it, and block the charged blast that followed. He then retaliated by shouting, "Glacius!" and sending a burst of frigid wind toward Samus's platform. She turned to her right and jumped to the next one. It wasn't that far away and she only needed to make one bound with the space jump.

As she was spinning, though, she caught glimpses of the ceiling, of Harry still being trapped in that crystal.... Hold on, Harry. I'll be done with Voldemort soon. I swear upon the honor of the Chozo, I'll get you out of there....

She touched down and looked around. The platform she had just been on was almost completely covered with frost, and Voldemort had kicked up another gust of wind to propel himself to the platform directly to his right. He immediately sent out another Killing Curse after touching down on it. Samus merely ducked and returned fire, but Voldemort merely brought up his shield to block her beams yet again.

This isn't working. I've got to get closer! thought Samus irritably. She was ready to jump to her right, over to the next plaform, but she heard a strange humming noise, as if some machine was being powered up. That's ridiculous. There aren't any machines in this part of the station. What's....

Her thoughts were cut short by a wave of excruciating, piercing cold that sliced into the very marrow of her bones, rendering her helpless as a result of the onslaught of extreme pain. All she saw was snow and ice chunks swirling all around her, as if she was caught up in some sort of cyclone of ice and arctic wind. The pain was so intense, she was forced to drop to her knees. That's when she saw that there was another blue gem in the center of the platform, and it was glowing brightly. It WAS a trap! she thought angrily as she tried to stand up, but her body wouldn't respond. She was in too much pain, and her suit's energy was dropping perilously fast. Only three tanks were still full....

Then, over the roar of the windy vortex, Samus heard the cry of "Avada Kedavra!" She had no chance to avoid the curse this time, and this time, she was blasted upward off the platform. Then she plummeted downward to the chamber floor below, and when she landed, her armored body left a deep impression with cracks spidering out from it.

Samus's body still wasn't responding. Despite the all the protection her suit offered, the intense, penetrating cold that Voldemort's trap had created had rendered her helpless, making it feel as if she had been frozen solid. And even worse, it seemed that all the Killing Curses she had been hit with were taking a toll on her suit as well, and falling from a height of over fifty feet wasn't helping matters any. She desperately tried to move, but even the most minute movements caused her entire body to explode in pain.

No, it can't end like this, thought Samus, fear welling up inside her. I can't be beaten now. I have to kill Voldemort! I have to stop him! She then heard something softly land a few feet in front of her. Panic gripping her heart again, she valiantly tried to at least sit up and aim her arm cannon. It took every ounce of willpower she had to not give in to the excruciating pain, and managed to at least look up....

She had raised her head just in time to see Voldemort looming over her, aiming his wand directly at her chest. Samus tried to aim her arm cannon at him, but he had already began an incantation....

There was a loud banging sound and a flash of light, and Samus felt herself being blasted off the ground, out of the miniature crater her plummeting body had made. Furthermore, Samus felt her helmet pop free of her suit. She breathed in the frosty air of the chamber right before she crashed into the walls, painfully sliding down it. After hitting the floor, she saw electricity crackle around her suit, and was dimly aware of the fact that the membraney parts of her suit were losing their white, glossy veneer, and was reverting back to a rubbery-looking teal substance. With some effort, she glanced over at her shoulder, and saw that the bronze spikes were receded into her suit. It was obvious that her 'scale suit' upgrade was going offline.

There Samus lay, slumped against the chamber wall, unable to move and numb with fear. No, not only fear...but humiliation and disbelief as well. I can't believe this, I've failed again, she thought over and over. I made too many mistakes, I let him sucker me into traps. Just when it counted most, when the entire galaxy needed me more than ever to pull through, I failed. Bird Grandpa, wherever you are, please forgive me. I let you all down, I've disgraced our tribe....

Samus could hear Voldemort's soft laughter echo all around her, which served to humiliate and enrage her even further. She could also hear him slowly walking toward her. She tried once again to stand and raise her right arm, but she couldn't move an inch. I'm so sorry, Harry, she thought sorrowfully, a feeling of utter hopelessness welling up within her. I couldn't protect you, either. Once again, I let a friend down. Please, forgive me....

Voldemort had finally reached the spot where Samus lifelessly slumped against the wall. He looked directly into her eyes, and Samus felt a very curious, unsettling sensation as she gazed back into those scarlet, slit-pupiled eyes. She desperately wished she could at least raise her right arm to fire at him; his shield was at his side and he was wide open. But her body still wouldn't respond. She couldn't do anything except stare back at Voldemort as he leered at her malevolently. Not since her final confrontation with Mother Brain, when the hyper beam had decimated her suit's systems, had Samus felt so completely helpless, so completely alone....

"That was a most brilliant performance, Samus," Voldemort said suddenly. "I must congratulate you. Never had I ever imagined that any being, man or woman, wizard or Muggle, could fight the way you did. Not even Dumbledore has ever proven to be as much of a challenge as you were today. I've never come this close to being so utterly defeated in a fight." Samus looked at Voldemort again, and noticed that he was slightly hunched over, as if his entire body ached as well. Some steam was still rising from his body as well. Also, his voice sounded strained, as if he had indeed become exhausted from the fight.

Voldemort's eyes suddenly narrowed, sending a chill down Samus's spine. "But the outcome was never really in doubt. Even with all your skills, even with all the power of your suit's technology, you were still no match for me. In the end, it was Lord Voldemort you finally bested you. And this time, no one will save you. No Adam Malkovich to sacrifice his life for you, no infant Metroid to give you a second chance. And it will be the same with Harry, there will be no escape for him this time. At long last, Lord Voldemort will stand victorious over everyone!"

Those mocking words jarred Samus into action. To hear him talk so callously about those two being who had died for her, and to hear him talk so casually about going on to kill Harry...it once again filled her with rage. She concentrated with all her might on lifting her arm cannon to fire. She actually managed to get it a few inches off the floor, but it felt like dead weight, being as weak as she was....

Voldemort saw this, and chuckled sardonically. He obviously enjoyed tormenting her like this. He raised his wand again. "Good-bye, Samus Aran...."


Trapped within that crystal high above the chamber, Harry Potter had seen everything. He had watched the battle unfold, and at one point, he entertained a sense of hopefulness. It had looked like Samus would eventually overcome Voldemort and rid the world of him forever; she had eaten several Killing Curses and kept on coming. But then, the unexpected happened: a sort of cyclone rose up from the pillar top Samus was standing on and trapped her within its biting, icy winds. After that, it was obvious that Samus had been weakened too much. Now she lay helpessly against the wall, unable to fight back....

*NO!!!* he mentally screamed, numb with shock. He simply couldn't believe it. So far, it seemed like Samus could overcome any obstacle, single-handedly defeat any enemy, and complete any task assigned to her, no matter how impossible it seemed. Now Voldemort was going to murder her just as he had murdered so many others, including his parents and Cedric Diggory. Once again, Voldemort was going to rob him of something precious, was going to have someone murdered right before his very eyes. I can't let him do it! I can't! I...WON'T! he thought furiously, seething with rage. He concentrated and tried struggling against the crystal, hoping that, by some miracle, he would have the strength to break through it. But the crystal still held him fast, kept him helpless....

He then saw, far below, that Voldemort had raised his wand again, and there was no doubt in Harry's mind that he intended to kill Samus right then and there. Righteous anger the likes of which he'd never known surged within him. I swear Voldemort, if I ever get out of here, I'll...I'LL KILL YOU!! I DON'T CARE WHAT IT TAKES!! I WON'T BE HAPPY UNTIL I'VE GOT YOUR BLOODY HEAD MOUNTED ON A STICK!! he thought furiously as he continued to struggle.

And then, he heard something. The crystal had blocked all sound, surrounding him with an agonizing silence, but now, some sort of music was reaching his ears. What is this? Phoenix song? he wondered.

The music became louder, to the point where it echoes painfully in his ears and his head. It was completely different from the phoenix song he remembered. This music...it was bolder, more robust, and spoke to him in unearthly, alien tones. But all the same, it filled him with hope, and a sense of power, a purpose.... Harry suddenly realized what it was....

Chozo song....

And then, Harry felt as if his whole body was changing. His insides felt strange, as if his bones and organs were shifting around and taking a different form. He felt a curious sensation in his chest, as if it was being hollowed out and was filled with empty space. He somehow felt stronger, more confident with himself. He tried moving again....

But he still couldn't break the crystal. But then, although Harry had no idea how, he realized that the crystal radiated some strange magical energy. Then, by some instinct he didn't understand, by some means he couldn't figure out, he willed his body to draw in that magically energy, to consume it and store it within him....

He did just that, and power the likes of with he had never known surged through him. With one last, valiant effort, he tried to move his arms and legs....

And the entire chamber was filled with the deafening sound of the mass of clear crystal shattering into thousands of pieces.


Voldemort immediately looked up after the deafening shattering sound resounded throughout the chamber. Samus was able to look up too. Beyond Voldemort, she could see something was descending from the roof, something that looked like it was spinning, a mass of black and glossy green....

Whatever it was, it landed gracefully in the center of the chamber, then began making its way toward Samus and Voldemort. Voldemort didn't do anything. He merely watched the mysterious figure walk closer and closer, until....

"What in the name of...what is this!?" Voldemort finally said, and for the first time, he actually sounded worried. Samus moved her head to look past him, and felt as if she'd have a heart attack from what she saw.

There was no doubt that it was Harry Potter, except now, he had completely changed, mutated into a completely different form....

Harry's overall body shape was unchanged, but he was completely different. All along his arms, instead of human flesh, there were now sallow, resilient-looking reptilian scales, and his fingers were now long, powerful talons that looked strong enough to pry apart metal plating. His entire chest was now essentially what looked like a glass plate, molded into the shape of a human chest, but within his chest was now a cavity that housed three pink, pulsating nuclei that crackled with energy. His shoulders, back and neck were covered with a strange, slimy, olive green armored covering, which was vaguely reminiscent of an insect's exoskeleton. Not only that, two rows of bumpy ridges travelled down his back, starting at where his shoulder blades were supposed to be and gradually becoming smaller the farther down they went.

And his face.... The face still looked almost exactly the same, just like a human face, but where there was once flesh, there was that same slimy, olive green covering. His teeth were clenched, revealing rows of spiky fangs that looked strong enough to crush bones with one bite. Saliva was effusively dripping out of his mouth, as if he was hungrily anticipating striking down his quarry. His hair looked the same, only now it was much longer, and seemed to clump together like quills. And his eyes...they were now two solid masses of black, glistening like obsidian, glaring hatefully. And his scar was still there, only now it was a pearly, ghastly white, seemingly pulsating with energy, with fury....

Samus couldn't believe her eyes. This was undoubtedly what all those mysterious mutations Harry's cells had undergone had ultimately led to. Now, he had morphed into what looked like a human-shaped Omega Metroid.


For a moment, Harry merely stared into Voldemort's eyes. No longer did those scarlet eyes fill him with fear. Now, they only served to fill him with vindictive fury, with pure hatred. His only thought was to make sure his arch-enemy never had the chance to murder innocent people ever again. His only instincts were to lash out...to kill...to destroy!!

Voldemort eventually got over his shock and raised his wand. "Avada Ked-" he began. But Harry let out an ear-splitting, brid-like screech and moved with blinding, astonishing speed, taking Voldemort completely by surprise. He ducked and charged forward, sinking his talons into Voldemort's gut. He felt hot blood trickle onto his hand, and that filled him with sadistic glee. Then he effortlessly shoved him aside, away from Samus, and Voldemort was sent flying several dozen feet, halfway across the chamber.

Harry looked down at the blood on his hand. In the back of his mind, he knew he shouldn't have enjoyed that. But overpowering, carnal instincts had almost taken him over, which were further fueled by his rage and long-surpressed desire for revenge. He brought his hand up his mouth and hungrily licked the blood off his fingers, and felt a curious rush as the salty, metallic taste danced upon his tongue.

Harry then looked over to Samus. Evidently, she was still unable to move, and was merely staring up at Harry with an expression of mingled shock and horror. Part of him wanted to get her out of there, to comfort her, but there was still something he had to do. "Rest easy, Samus," he forced himself to say, his voice sounding strangly hoarse. "This is my fight now."

He turned back to Voldemort, who was just starting to stand up. Harry's new instincts kicked in again. He dashed toward Voldemort until there was only a few feet separating them. Voldemort raised his wand. "Glac-" he began, but once again he acted too late. Harry took a deep breath, reared his head back, and then flung it forward while opening his mouth wide. A thick burst of billowing, pale-blue plasma shot out of his mouth with incredible force. Voldemort had no time to react and was swept up by the fiery plasma, and he was knocked back until his backside collided painfully with the chamber walls. Harry got a delightfully wicked idea just then, a truly flashy way to finish off Voldemort for good....

He ran back over to the wall, then turned back to look at Voldemort. He was still leaning against the wall, some of the fiery plasma still licking at his body. Then Harry started running, and within seconds, the speed booster kicked in. With the changes in his body, he reasoned there would be no harm in using Samus's powers again. As soon as it kicked in, he jumped forward, propelled by the force of the shinespark maneuver. Voldemort had partially recovered by then, but once again, he was too late. He could only bring up his shield before Harry's blazing body reached him. He slammed onto Voldemort hard, knocking him into the wall and forcing it to give way. The two then plowed through several meters of stone, and then through several more meters of machinery and wiring and reinforced metal plating, before exiting somewhere else....


Samus watched Harry plow into Voldemort with the shinespark, sending the two of them through the chamber wall. The horrible pain that had consumed her body had subsided somewhat, and she could move around a little. But she found herself rooted to the spot, unable to accept what she had just seen happen to Harry.

I can't believe this. The Metroid DNA I gave him to save his life...it turned him into THIS!? she thought disbelievingly. She realized that the fusion of Metroid DNA with his own must have affected him differently since he was a wizard, eventually making it so he could transform INTO a Metroid, and she didn't want to think of what it would be like if he was stuck like that permanently, all because of her.

Ergh, I've had enough. I've got to get up and finish this! Samus thought angrily as she tried to stand up, determined to get to Harry. However, the damage to her suit and her body had been severe, and just that simple effort still made her body explode with pain. She eventually gave in and slumped down against the wall again.

I've got only one chance. I need to use power bomb healing, Samus realized. But wait a minute, I need my helmet back! she suddenly realized, a cold chill running down her spine after realizing her one hope for recovery might have been dashed. Samus gingerly turned her neck to look around, hoping to spot where her helment had landed. Wait a minute, the SA-X constantly went into morph ball mode without her helmet! I wonder how she managed to do that? she wondered, perplexed by how the SA-X had managed that feat. As far as she knew, it should have been impossible to use her morph ball mode without her helmet. She struggled to prop herself up off the wall again, readying herself to try and roll into a ball....

But just then, she heard the sound of loud footsteps echoing throughout the chamber, and they were steadily getting closer. It was a sound that was all too familiar, and it still filled her heart with dread: the SA-X's footsteps, heralding her arrival....

I don't believe this! I forgot she was still out there! Samus was on the verge of panic, but she forced herself to calm down and think. Play 'possum', as other humans would call it, she thought to herself. Pretend to be dead, maybe she'll pass me by.... She shut her eyes and stayed as perfectly still as she could, praying that her doppleganger would ignore her. But the footsteps only got louder, and louder. And eventually, another sound punctuated them: a soft, mocking chuckle. Then, she heard the sound of the SA-X's missile barrel snapping open.

Samus opened her eyes just in time to see the SA-X aiming at her, her missiles armed. Then she fired.

The super missile struck Samus in the chest, and the explosion sent her body flying upwards yet again, only to crash down forcefully a few feet away. The teal membraney areas of her suit now looked dried and decayed, and cracks had formed all over their edges, as well as on the yellow, metallic portions of her armored midsection.

Not only that, she wasn't moving at all. Her eyes remained open, a glassy, lifeless look in them....


Harry Potter and Voldemort came smashing through another wall, this one constructed of metal plating. What part of Harry that wasn't still obsessed with bloody revenge took note that they seemed to be at the top of yet another circular chamber that was just as wide as the previous one, only there was hardly any lighting, a condition barely alleviated by Harry's glowing, blazing body. The metal walls all had a pale, sky-blue color, and in the center of the chamber, there was a large cylinder-shaped device that extended from the roof of the chamber all the way to the bottom. It emitted an eerie humming noise, and the sounds of machinery busily operating could be heard within it as well. Harry correctly guessed that the huge device was the station's reactor core, just as his rocketing body slammed Voldemort's backside right into it, making a crashing sound that echoed all around them.

He pushed himself away from Voldemort and his body began spinning as he plummetted down to the floor, while the reviled Dark wizard began to plunge downward unceremoniously. It looked as if that last attack with the shinespark had taken all the fight out of him, but Harry could tell that, by some miracle, Voldemort was still alive. Harry could sense enormous amounts of life energy emanating from his body. Yet, for some reason, he still couldn't sense him via his curse scar. When he had Apparated onto Samus's ship and all throughout his fight with Samus, his scar hadn't so much as prickled, no matter how close Voldemort was. But Harry thought little of it as he gracefully touched down after dropping more than a hundred and fifty feet. He quickly turned around to see that Voldemort had crashed onto the floor a few feet away. And he was slowly rising to his feet, his shield and wand still in hand.

Harry's obsidian eyes widened as his mind was filled with seething rage yet again. What DOES it take to kill you!? he thought furiously, hot saliva once again effusively pouring through gritted teeth. Harry slowly inched toward Voldemort as he got back on his feet, but his legs were wobbly. Harry was savoring the pusillanimous look in Voldemort's eyes; it was almost as if the dreaded sorceror had lost the will to fight, as if he knew he was at the end of his rope. He was worn out from fighting Samus and had almost nothing left.

It was because of that that Harry was thinking little of the changes his body had undergone, the incredible indescribable transformation that had just happened. Harry didn't care about the exact details of what just happened. All that mattered to him was that it granted him power and strength the likes of which he had never known before, and he was filled with an overpowering instinct to fight and kill, to wipe out anyone that had slighted him. He could rip Voldemort's very flesh from his bones, he could boil him alive with superheated plasma, and he still had his wand in his pocket.... Who knew what kind of destruction his magic could cause now....

Voldemort timidly raised his wand and yelled, "Imperio!" For a brief instant, Harry felt that familiar sensation of being freed of all conscious thought. But the killer instincts taking hold of him negated Voldemort's attempt at mind control almost immediately. Harry breathed deeply and spewed more billowing plasma at Voldemort. He was instantly blasted off his feet and slammed into the reactor core, dropping his wand and shield. This time, Voldemort just laid there in a crumpled heap.

This is it, Harry thought sadisticly, his heart leaping with murderous joy. You've got nothing left. It's time to make you pay! He crept toward Voldemort, ready to rip him apart....

But just as Harry got within a foot of Voldemort, he felt a penetrating cold rip through his entire upper body. Something was striking him from above. Looking up, he saw the SA-X was dropping down, firing down at him with her ice-spazer combo. Oh, of all the rotten timing! Harry thought as he sidestepped to avoid getting frozen, enraged at how the SA-X had come to Voldemort's rescue. Now he had to fight her too.

Actually, this suits me just fine. The more, the merrier, he reasoned as the SA-X landed about ten feet away. He darted toward the SA-X, wanting to pry that armor off with his bare talons. But the SA-X merely fired a super missile at Harry and he had no time to dodge it or destroy it. The explosive impact blasted him backward several feet, and he skidded painfully along the floor, the bumpy ridges on his back grinding painfully against the metal.

Harry immediately got back on his feet. Looking ahead, he saw the SA-X was approaching Voldemort, her face cold and impassive. But Voldemort didn't look relieved at all. Harry thought he was imagining things, becaused it looked like Voldemort was even more fearful and confused than he was moments before.

"Wha.... W-What the?" he stammered. "How c-can this be? D-Didn't Samus defeat you? And w-why can't I sense...."

But then, just as the SA-X had walked straight up to Voldemort, something happened that Harry would never have expected. The SA-X lashed out with her fist and punched Voldemort square in the jaw, making a sickening crack echo throughout the reactor room. He was knocked back a few feet, in Harry's direction, easily within range of his plasma breath. But Harry was rooted to the spot, flummoxed by this turn of events and completely at a loss of what to do next. Why was the SA-X turning on Voldemort?

Voldemort spat blood all over the floor for several seconds before he managed to get back on his feet. But by the time he did, the SA-X was upon him again. She reached down and clamped her left hand around his throat, then proceeded to effortlessly hoist him off the floor. This can't be happening, thought Harry, more confused than ever. How come the SA-X is turning against him? Did he lose control? Deciding he might as well take action, Harry reached into his pocket, where his wand still was. But the SA-X raised her arm cannon and pointed it at him threateningly, all the while glaring at Voldemort. Harry got the message and remained still. He wasn't exactly looking forward to another blast from her ice beam, and she was close enough to make dodging difficult.

And then, something else unexpected happened, something else that rattled Harry to the core.... The SA-X began to speak.

"You made a grave mistake, Voldemort," said the SA-X, her voice sounding exactly like Samus's, only impossibly cold and malevolent. She continued to glare at the helpless Dark wizard, her glowing eyes narrowed at him. "You believed you could use my species as a weapon, that you would be able to manipulate us indefinitely. Perhaps you could have. When you brought the X parasites in that pod to your time, they were leaderless and destitute, having lost the sentience and intelligence they had borrowed from the humans on the the B.S.L. Only the memories they had absorbed and data organically stored in them remained, but with no intellect to make use of it all. Those X in the escape pods were meant to be a sort of 'back-up' in case anything happened, but that pod was the only one to escape. Others with X-Cores inside to guide the others weren't able to jettison in time or couldn't escape the blast radius of the station's destruction."

Harry just stood there, frozen with shock as he listened to the SA-X. All this time, he had thought the fact that the HP-X and the SA-X never spoke made them all the more inhuman and terrifying. But now, with the way the SA-X spoke in an inhumanly cold voice, it somehow filled him with even more terror than before.

"So the X parasites you had selected were easily controlled. With the methods you devised, you could have easily manipulated them forever, had you not made such foolish mistakes. You had us sample centaurs and merpeople. Slowly, we regained our sentience, our intelligence. But it wasn't enough for us to break your control over us. Not until...."

The SA-X slowly turned her head to gaze at Harry, her glowing eyes still narrowed. "Samus Aran believed that the X could not copy the soul and emotions of our victims. She was wrong. When Voldemort had you copied, all the personality traits you had were picked up by the HP-X as well. Though all of your memories couldn't be taken, all of your pride, your love of freedom, your desire to let no one control you; all of those personality traits resided in the HP-X as well. It marked the beginning of the deterioration of Voldemort's mind control. The HP-X slowly began to work around it, using his own magical energy to slowly erode the charms that Voldemort had put in place." Harry gritted his teeth again. The notion of the HP-X being ANYTHING like him, aside from having the same face, made his insides boil.

The SA-X then turned back to glare at Voldemort, who still had a shocked expression on his face. "But your final mistake was resurrecting me. In the time period we came from, it was I who was responsible for guiding the X parasites and overrunning that space station. All of Samus Aran's intelligence and skills were copied by me, and I used all those gifts to coordinate our efforts. Having been resurrected, I could begin doing that again.

"Working in tandem with the HP-X, we slowly began to chip away at the charms you had set in place, combining his magic and my ability to lead and guide the X parasites. And we did it all without raising your suspicions! You were too prideful to believe that your hold could be broken! You should have realized something was wrong when the HP-X altered the environmental controls in sector 1 on his own volition, or when I purposely made a detour to help the HP-X recover when you had ordered me to ambush Harry at the docking bay. With the HP-X's help, I learned how to send you false memories and signals, completely fooling you! Just like I did a short while ago! I made you think that I had battled Samus Aran and lost, but in reality it was I who destroyed the final pillar on purpose, to open the way for her so the two of you would fight!

"But everything didn't go smoothly for us this whole time, I'll admit. After we attacked the Handu Mountain Preserve, the HP-X and I felt we were ready to put the finishing touches on our plan to break down your control for good and rally all of the X parasites together again, under my leadership. But then, Samus Aran and Harry Potter arrived here, and that changed everything. We had to go ahead and concentrate on them. But when you planned to have Samus Aran come and fight me, I saw an opportunity and seized it. I purposely allowed her to make her way here. I knew the two of you would tear each other apart, and then, I could move in and finish off the both of you! I've already killed Samus Aran, and now...."

The SA-X let that sentence dangle for a second, but only a second. She slammed Voldemort's battered and burned body onto the cold metal floor, and Harry swore he heard bones cracking. Then, in one swift motion, the SA-X kneeled down and plunged her outstretched hand into Voldemort's chest, her fingers digging in deep. A second later, yellow-green slime could be seen bubbling around her fingers, slowly pouring into Voldemort. The whole time, Harry just watched dumbly, unsure of what to do.

For a few moments, there was an enraptured look upon the SA-X's face, an expression of euphoric glee, as if she had been awaiting this moment for a long time. But after a while, her expression turned to one of shock. "What is this!?" she spat in a confused voice. But her enraptured expression came back almost immediately. "Oh, very clever. Perhaps you weren't so overconfident after all. But there will be time for that later, once I take care of Harry Potter here, the last one who can possibly oppose us...."

Harry continued to watch, nonplussed, as the SA-X deposited her parasitic slime into Voldemort's unconscious body. Eventually, Harry saw his head begin to transform into that noxious ooze, but it suddenly receded into his robes. It was as if Voldemort was shrinking into his clothes, but in reality, Harry knew that the SA-X was sucking up that slime, as if to store samples of Voldemort's cells and DNA.

At last, it was done. All that remained of Voldemort was his robes lying on the floor, as well as his wand and shield, which lay quite a distance away. The SA-X shut her eyes as she slowly stood up, still looking ecstatic to the point of madness. She turned to face Harry, her arm cannon still aimed at him, then she opened her eyes....

The SA-X's eyes were no longer yellow-green orbs that radiated with a sinister glow. Now, they were as scarlet as freshly shed blood, with vertical slits for pupils. She glowered at him with those eyes, grinning evilly....

And just one look into those eyes was all Harry needed to realize he was in for the fight of his life.


This is a well-known trick among game developers: make you think you've reached the end, only to pull the rug out from under you and reveal that a bigger, badder and uglier final boss was waiting. Well, not exactly UGLIER in this case, but you get the idea.

As you can probably tell, I went to great lengths to plan all of this, and I like to think it was worth it. Hopefully you thought it was worth it too.

So long,
Grey