Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Butterfly Effect ❯ Chapter 6: The Darkness Rising ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

This chapter should close out book one. I'm really excited to start CoS, my favorite book in the series apart from DH. PARSELTONGUE FUN AHOY.
Thanks for sticking with me everybody. I've got nearly 400 visitors on average to each chapter!
Chapter 6: The Darkness Rising
The thunder faded.
The jungle was silent. After the avalanche, a green peace. After the nightmare, morning.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Her fingers peeled eagerly at the little wax seal with the Hogwarts Crest. Harry! Harryharryharry! HARRY!
Ginny, her heart pounding with excitement, wrenched open the large piece of folded parchment.
Dear Ginny,
WE WON! SNAPE WAS REFEREEING AND WE WON! And in about two minutes too!
Circe, who had resumed her customary perch, hooted indignantly as Ginny jumped up, whooping loudly.
I saw the snitch lose its invisibility charm right over Snape's greasy head. I caught it and no one had even put the Quaffle between the posts! It was the shortest match in Hogwarts' history. Even Olliver was complaining about the win- told me that next game I should, "keep my knickers on and give the rest of them some play time!" It was bloody fantastic. Oh! Ron and I both socked Draco! Whenever I'm not around Draco is still such a berk to Ron and Hermione. He said something to Ron during the game and then your brother decked him. I heard from Neville that he'd never seen anything more beautiful than Draco falling on top of Pansy with a bloody nose. Ron's still in the Hospital Wing because Crabbe and Goyle went to work on him but he said it was worth it. After the game he came back up to me and was back to his friendly yet annoyingly arrogant self. Hermione came over and told him to shove off. He called her something and she ran off crying. Mud-blood was the name I think. He must have realized he slipped up in front of me, because he looked all guiltylike. Then I decked him! Punching people hurts. Two bloody noses in one day, and one from a girl. Four days later and he still looks like a raccoon.
Snape's been awful since the match. He gave me detention because my cauldron was bubbling loudly. I had to scrub out the excess potion in the NEWT Level dungeon. Without magic. My knees were stinging and changing colors the entire next day. What a bugger. What's more is that I've seen him all over the place, swooping like a bat after Professor Quirrell, threatening him. Hermione and I reckon there's more guarding the Stone than just Fluffy. The fact that he's only after Quirrell for information must mean he can get past everything except the dog and Quirrell's defense. But Fluffy is still in there. We check when we go past the door.
Fred and George have been torturing Snape. They put all sorts of little tricks outside his office door. They put a little tube of shampoo right outside his door too. It said, 'don't forget to wash behind the ears.' It's good fun to watch him go ballistic. I wish this year was over though. It feels like it's inching by. How are things at the Burrow?
Missing you,
Harry
Ginny flopped forwards onto her bed. The owl on her head was thrown off into the air. It fluttered madly about the room, before settling on her bottom. She sighed into her pillows, losing herself as she listened to the fat droplets of March rain pound against the glass of her window.
I miss you too.
She lay there for what seemed like hours, stroking the head of Harry's beautiful owl, until her mum called up the stairs, "Ginny dear! I need you."
With a tremendous groan she pushed herself off the bed and gave the owl one final pet. "Stay here, girl."
Her mother was, as usual, bustling about the kitchen preparing Dinner. Her mum really did love to cook and she was brilliant at it. Ginny, on the other hand, had no talent whatsoever in the kitchen. She had inherited the Weasley clumsiness with food, not the Prewitt genius.
Her mother raked a tired hand through her frizzy hair and asked, "Can you start chopping those vegetables for the stew? There's a good girl." Mum paused in her bustling, squinting at her midsection. "Oh my, your father's illusions do last, if anything. I keep seeing little bits of leftover light on your arm, from those Christmas fairies.
"Harry did say they stuck to me like glue." She had a sudden vision of Harry smiling and brushing fairies of her shoulder.
Mum nodded. "How is Harry? She and Ron not getting into too much trouble I hope. I do wish that boy would write more… Well… perhaps not… I don't think Errol would be up for the trips."
"She's… good. Professor Snape's giving her a rough time of it and she… well she wants the year to be over. So do I." As she drew it absentmindedly across a carrot, the knife she was holding nicked lightly into her thumb. She didn't know why, but that little cut hurt more than a little cut should. It sliced deep, straight to her heart. She tried, and failed, to muffle the sob that broke from her throat.
Her mum's arm slipped around her shoulders. "Oh dear. My baby girl." She was pressed into a warm embrace. "It'll be alright. Before you know it you'll see each other again and it will be all the sweeter because of this." Her mum knelt down on her knee and wiped the little flow of tears away from Ginny's eyes. Her forehead met Ginny's. "I love you… so much, Ginevra... and I'm so happy you found a friend that finally understands you; that you care about this much. You go ahead and cry darling; the only girl of seven; you've held it in for so many years. I'm right here. We Weasleys put on a brave face love, but sometimes, we just need to let it all go."
In the middle of the kitchen floor they sat, Ginny didn't know for how long, her face buried in the apron of her mother's dress. She didn't even hear her father come back from work, only smelled his light sandalwood aftershave; only felt him sink down next her, his large arm drape around her and mum.
When the pot on the stove started to bubble over, her father stood, holding out his hands for both of them. He picked Ginny up and carried her in one arm, just like he used to when she was small. "An evening alone with my two favorite girls - there isn't a luckier man in the world." Ginny couldn't help but to laugh and squirm when he tickled her bare feet.
As she and her father walked out of the kitchen, her mum squealed like she too was eleven, blushing as red as her hair. "Arthur!" she cried, rubbing her bum.
Ginny gagged.
The following weeks passed by at a snail's pace. Her life was as exciting as watching paint dry. Between chores, sleeping, reading Mum's books, and tending to her strawberry patch, she did very little. And even the last was dull. You can only pull out so many weeds.
She would go for a fly every now and then, but found that it didn't have as much appeal alone as it did when she flew with Harry or her brothers. That… and the broom she used was about eighty years old. Visiting Luna or getting a letter from Harry were the most exciting parts of her weeks. Luna was rarely around, always off with her father as he collected stories for his newspaper. And Circe… well not even the strongest owl in the world could manage more than two trips a week from the southernmost tip of Great Britain to the upper regions of Scotland. Especially not this time of year; all rain… not even warm rain, freezing pneumonia inducing rain.
Harry tried to keep her as up to date as she could about the goings on at Hogwarts; her letters were always long and fat. Ginny could never write more than a half a roll of parchment before she had covered every interesting bit of her life. After that, she would ramble for a roll or two.
Harry told her of how she was studying all hours of the day due to Hermione Granger's exam zeal. How Hagrid was keeping a dragon egg in his wooden hut. How Quidditch practice was a nightmare now that they were in the lead for the house cup. How Draco could be such an arse one second and then so friendly the next. How Ron and Hermione never stopped bickering. How History and Herbology were less interesting than watching paint dry. How Pansy Parkinson had seen the dragon in Hagrid's hut and had told Draco, who was dangling the information over Harry's head to get her to talk to him. How Harry missed her. Every letter she sent had those words etched at the bottom.
It was Wednesday night, as she sat in bed reading Gilderoy Lockhart's Trouble with Trolls, when Harry's most interesting letter arrived.
Dear Ginny,
We need to get rid of Norbert. He's getting much too large to hide in Hagrid's cabin. It even bit Hermione! Her leg is all swollen and green. We were thinking Charlie could help take him off our hands. In secret. If anyone finds out Hagrid has a dragon he'll get sacked. There is an attached letter to Charlie with yours. Could you send it on? I told him to send Circe back to you, and then you can send her back to me.
Missing you more than ever,
Harry
Ginny quickly took out the attached note and tied it to Circe's leg, who surprisingly hadn't sat on her head. It seemed to know that these letters were urgent. "Take this to Charlie girl." The owl hooted, nipping her finger affectionately before it took off into the night.
There's no way I'll be able to sleep tonight.
She spent the next two days with her head elsewhere... at Hogwarts. On Friday morning, mum had decided she'd weed the garden, and instead of lying in bed for hours like she usually did, Ginny got up to help her.
It was a breezy April's day; the beginning of spring, so the garden needed a good weeding. She was absentmindedly pulling out plants when a familiar voice made her jump. "Aren't you supposed to pull out the weeds, rather than the strawberries?"
Her plants were indeed mangled, but she didn't care. She hopped up into her brothers arms and yelled, "Charlie! What are you doing here?"
He twirled her around before setting her back down. "Special chore at Hogwarts. I was going to stay in Romania and let my friends take care of it, but since this beautiful bird here was coming back to you, I thought I'd Portkey over with her for a visit and go up with them. She didn't like the ride I can tell you that." Circe was stamping around Charlie's head indignantly, pecking at his ears. "Oi! Bloody bird. I've got to send a reply to Hogwarts."
She looked over at her mum who had yet to notice that her son was home. "Sooo… will you bring the dragon back here?"
Charlie spluttered in shock. "How do you know about- wait- of course you know. Harry would've told you. Closer than peas in a pod you two are. But no… we'll head straight back to Romania with the Ridgeback. Can't very well have a lizard that breathes fire at the Burrow," he said lightly, gesturing at the house.
"Can I co-"
"Charlie! You're home! Whatever for dear?"
Ginny watched lamely as her mother grabbed Charlie and pulled him into the house, fussing over his scruffy chin and long shag of hair.
She couldn't get Charlie out from under mum's eye for the rest of the day, and ever since Mum barged in on him at Christmas he'd been locking his bedroom door at night. Saturday was the same, and when Charlie's friends arrived at the Burrow that night, she knew she would have to resort to drastic measures.
Her plan was flawless. She excused herself from the rowdy dinner with Charlie's companions, saying she didn't feel well and was going to bed early. She grabbed a pinch of Floo Powder from the mantle and rushed upstairs to her bedroom. Pulling out one of her new quills, she scratched out a quick note.
Dear Mum,
Gone to Hogwarts. Following Charlie. You can punish me all you want when I get back, but I'm going to see Harry. No, she didn't ask me to come. I'll take the Floo home tomorrow morning. I've got a little pinch of it in a napkin. I'll be back just a few hours after you wake up. I know you're angry reading this note… but please don't make a fuss and get Harry into trouble. I just need to see her for a bit.
Love,
Ginny
She put the note on her pillow and watched through the window as Charlie and his friends left the house, pulling out their broomsticks. Ginny opened the window as quietly as she could, and crawled out. There was a fat ledge just outside it that she could drop down onto the roof from and a trellis down to the ground just below that. Sometimes she thought her father knew she would be the kind of person that did things like this, and that he had built her room here to make it easy for her.
Climbing out like a cat, she slid belly first along the ledge. I'm going to be filthy. Unfortunately for her, the trellis down to the ground was soaked from yesterday's rain and she lost her footing halfway down. She tumbled through the briar and landed with a loud thud on the muddy ground. Ow.
Ginny could still see Charlie's group in the distance, but they were just tiny specks. She pulled herself up and ran to the broomshed as fast as her legs could carry her. Wrenching out her father's broomstick, she leapt on and soared up into the night.
Ginny flew far back from Charlie and his friends, but never far enough to lose them in the darkness. They flew for hours and hours. On any other day, she would have been exhausted staying up this late. But tonight she was wide awake, her body tingling with adrenaline, with excitement.
Charlie drifted beneath a cloud and when she too passed through it, her heart caught in her chest. The castle had come into view; it was large and black against the starry skyline. The group in front of her sailed to the top of the tallest tower. She followed them, but cautiously flew around the length of the castle so they wouldn't see her approach.
Ginny landed on the roof behind a giant telescope.
"Oh wow, Charlie. Look at the serrated fangs. Gorgeous. Rare on a Ridgeback. I take it it's venomous then?"
"Oh Aye." Ron!
"It poisoned our friend Hermione last week. She only just got out of the Hospital wing." Oh… Harry… I'm here.
Creeping to the edge of the telescope, she slowly peered around the corner. Charlie and his four friends were laughing and joking loudly as they rigged a large thrashing cage into a harness between their brooms. There she is. Ron was poking the cage with a toe, his arm resting on Harry's shoulder.
She looks older with her hair up like that. Harry, it seemed, had attempted to recreate the look Ginny had tried on her at Christmas, with her bangs tied back behind her head in a braid. Ginny giggled. Nice try Harry. I'll do it for you properly.
Charlie and his friends thanked Harry and Ron and flew off into the night. Ron let out a great sigh as they turned into a tiny speck against the moon. "Nutters. The lot of them."
The sound of Harry's tinkling giggle made her smile. Her laugh was so infectious. I've missed that laugh. "You can say that again."
She was about to leap out and shout for their attention, but before she had moved an inch, the door to the tower swung open with a bang.
Ron and Harry whirled around to face a sweaty, balding man in a trench coat, accompanied by a mangy black cat. He was carrying a lantern that looked as if it hadn't been cleaned or polished in centuries.
"Oh dear… little Gryffindors are ou' for a stroll under the stars. What will McGonagall think? Come on… the both of yeh… get." He pushed them down the stairs.
After the door was safely closed she darted out, grabbing Harry's invisibility cloak up off the stone floor. Throwing it over her shoulders, she ran after them.
Ginny was amazed by the castle. She found herself stopping to stare at the moving staircases and the dueling suits of armor and the ghosts floating through walls. She lost track of Harry and Ron several times and she had to run wildly through the halls to find them again. They stopped at last next to a painting on the ground floor and entered a small study.
Already inside were a stern-looking woman and a slightly chubby brown-haired boy. When Harry and Ron arrived with the bald man, she turned bright red and shouted "MORE? Four first year students out of bed in one night? This is unacceptable!"
After they received, judging by Ron's desperate pleading, a very serious punishment, Ginny followed them back to a very cozy room inside a painting; what she supposed was the Gryffindor common room.
"One hundred and fifty points," moaned Harry. "We're going to be murdered in our beds."
"At least we'll be in bed though," Ron argued. "I'm bloody exhausted. Thanks for trying to help us out Nev. But in hindsight… walking around in plain sight at night wasn't the brightest idea."
The chubby boy… Nev, gave a small laugh and shrugged. Harry bid them goodnight and Ginny followed her up the stairs. Everyone else in her dorm seemed to be asleep. She saw Hermione with her leg up, wrapped in bandages. Harry sighed heavily, threw off her robe, and walked into a magnificent bathroom off the side of the dorm. Ginny closed the door softly behind her, turned, pulled off the cloak, and dove.
"HARRY!"
Unfortunately, Harry had been pulling off her skirt, one leg in and one leg out, and as Ginny collided with her in a hug, they both toppled unceremoniously into a tub with tumultuous splash. Coming up for air, she saw that Harry's hair was everywhere as the girl spluttered with shock. Ginny reached over and parted the soaked black curtain with two fingers.
Green eyes stared at her incredulously. "Hey Harry." She couldn't stop a ridiculous grin from spreading across her face.
Harry's face went from shock, to happy surprise, to absolute joy. "Gi- GINNY!" Harry surged through the water and crushed into her body, squeezing her tightly. As her arms wrapped around her, Ginny's heart did flips. It felt like she had just come home after a very long and exhausting day.
Harry pulled back shaking her shoulders with uncontrolled excitement. "How did you… why did you… oh Gin!"
Harry pulled her back through the water and onto her lap. Ginny wrapped both arms and legs around her and they sat quietly, embracing in the warm bath.
Ginny, who was nuzzled into Harry's neck, was the first to break the silence. "I was going crazy at home. So I… I followed Charlie. You left your invisibility cloak up on the tower and I used it to follow you back here." She ran her fingers gently through the hair at the back of Harry's neck. "With you gone it... it felt like I had lost a leg."
Harry giggled, pushing her back to look into her eyes. "Only a leg? It felt like I had lost an arm! Arms are much more important than legs."
"Nunh unh. You can't barrel roll over a chaser without a leg."
"Yuh hunh. You can't catch a snitch without an arm. I missed you more. So there." Harry splashed her.
"Nunh unh." She splashed Harry back.
"Yuh HUNH!" Harry said jumping on her, and she resumed their still undecided Christmas tickle fight. They thrashed about in the water laughing madly, quite literally flooding the bathroom. Ginny eventually managed to gain the upper hand, straddling her, going for the instant win button.
Harry's shrieks and sobs of laughter echoed about the tile as she dug her fingertips behind her friend's knees. "NO," Harry squealed loudly, "NO FAIR!"
She shook her head bemusedly. "Oh Harry… all's fair in love and tickle war!"
Harry squirmed and trembled with such intense giggles that her glasses flew off into the bath water. Deciding to show just a little mercy, Ginny relented in her assault, long enough for Harry to find them again. This turned out to be a very bad idea. With surprising deftness and strength, the black haired girl flipped on top of her, reversing their positions, holding her arms pinned above her head. Their charms clinked together and Harry leaned down to whisper into her ear, panting against her neck. "You'll pay for that one, Gin," breathed Harry shakily, lips tickling her ear.
She shrugged. "Hmmmmm… worth it."
Harry's hands slid down her arms and encircled her at the shoulders. She felt Harry's body sag against her own and they floated upwards. When Harry spoke, her voice quavered with… relief. "Ginny I… I missed you so much. There would be… entire days that I would just stare at my charm, watching it always point south. I can't believe you came… I…" Harry went rigid on top her and moaned miserably. "GIN! Your Mum is going to kill you! She's going to kill me! And then she'll kill you again!"
Ginny nodded her agreement into Harry's shoulder. "Hmmmmm… again… worth it." It was true. Harry made her feel so happy. To Harry, she wasn't a little sister… she was a best friend… a partner… an equal. Before she could stop herself, she turned her head and placed a soft kiss on Harry's cheek. "I'd do it again."
Harry sat up quickly, causing water to rush onto Ginny's chest to occupy the space where her body had just been. She was rubbing her cheek lightly; green eyes open wide with shock, staring into her own. "You… you kissed me." Harry's voice was unsure, as if she questioned the reality of the situation. "No one's… no one has ever… well…" She trailed off.
Ginny realized what she had just done and said nervously, "Oh… yea I… I guess I did." She raked her mind for something to say... then grinned. "I… I told you that you could tell all the boys I kissed you first… and… well I… I missed you Harry."
With the water sloshing between them, Harry's eyes searched her face wildly, looking for… something. Whether she found it or not, Ginny didn't know, but Harry nodded, leaning back down to give her a return peck on the cheek.
And it was at that moment… that the bathroom door swung open. Harry quickly pushed down on Ginny's shoulders so her head fell beneath the rim of the tub. She clambered on top of her, black hair tickling her face, obstructing her body from view.
"Oh… you're up late Harry," said an unfamiliar voice.
"Hey Parvati…yeah… Potion's essay. I want to get it perfect so the greasy git doesn't feel the need to rip it up in front of the whole class… again."
She heard one of the stall doors shut. Her face was pressed into Harry's shirt. Smells like burnt charcoal.
"I don't know why he treats you like that. It's ridiculous. You're brilliant at Potions."
When the stall door opened again the voice asked, "Say… why are you still in your clothes?"
She felt Harry's body tense. "Oh um… I fell in… not used to skirts and all."
Parvati giggled. "Understandable. Well, goodnight Harry."
"Night." The bathroom door opened and closed. "That was close." When Harry sat back, she seemed contemplative. "It's strange, separately Lavender and Parvati are so nice… but together, they can be bigger bints than Pansy Parkinson… if that's possible."
Ginny shrugged. "You smell like burnt hair, Harry. Take a bath." She splashed some water up onto Harry's face.
Harry smirked. "You should talk; you're covered in dirt and your clothes are all ripped. What, were you attacked by birds?"
"Er no… I climbed off the roof… well… fell off the roof… through the thorn bushes."
"Smooth." Harry giggled and stood, stripping off her clothes with impunity.
"Shut it," Ginny said, poking her in the belly. "It hurt." Ginny too, stood and pulled off her tattered clothing.
"Ouch Gin… you're all cut up." Harry's hand brushed lightly across her leg. Looking down, Ginny saw that she did indeed have several thin scratches across her torso and legs.
"I didn't even notice."
"Sit down… let me clean up the ones on your back."
As Harry's hands gently ran the soap across her back, she began to realize her exhaustion. The soap stung, but Harry's touch was soothing and she slumped against the side off the tub. "I'm so tired. Do you know what time it is?" She groaned as the soap passed along her lower back.
"After three I expect. Why?" Harry got some shampoo from the tap and started to run her hands through Ginny's tangled hair.
"I should be back home by eight so Mum doesn't go ballistic. I've got some Floo powder with my broom."
"What's Floo powder?" Harry asked curiously, the tips of her fingers scrubbing lightly behind Ginny's ears.
"It's… oh that feels great… it lets you travel by fireplace." Can't use it to get to Hogwarts though. The fireplaces here are only one way. Although… I think you can appeal to the ministry for a special connection."
Harry's hands paused. "Could I… could I do that? And then… you could visit all the time."
"It's usually for emergencies so probably not." She made little concentric ripples in the water. "But… I could sneak out again. I could just follow the charm."
She wanted to do it. She knew Harry wanted her to do it as well. But Harry slowly shook her head, wet hair slapping lightly against Ginny's neck. "No you… you're going to be in enough trouble as it is. Your Mum is probably going to lock the brooms up."
Harry finished with her hair and Ginny turned and did the same for her. "I'll fix your hair proper when we're out. You made a right mess of it."
"Oi… it wasn't that bad," Harry cried in mock hurt.
She grinned. "Yeah… okay. Hey Harry, where's Alice?"
Harry tilted her neck so she could get at the roots of her hair. "I let her explore the school at night. She stays in the shadows… but I'm secretly hoping Mrs. Norris tries to attack her. That cat has it coming."
Ginny couldn't help but giggle. "Harry, that's terrible."
"You won't think so next year," laughed Harry. "She's a nightmare, turns up wherever you don't want her to be."
"Maybe you shouldn't be out of bounds so much then huh?"
Harry gestured around the room. "You've seen this castle… how could I stay in bounds with so much craziness going on? I love it here… almost as much as your house. Also Alice… well if snakes can be gossip hounds… then that's what she is. She told me that, 'she found a red twin boy human in a closet with a black tall girl human,' and that they were both on the Quidditch team. She was so proud of herself. If only I could figure out if it was Fred or George with Angelina… I'd have blackmail material for ages. That is… if any of them ever speaks to me again. One hundred and fifty points… I hate Draco so much right now, the bugger ratted us out."
"I thought he was desperately in love with you," Ginny teased.
"Ew gross." Harry slapped her lightly on the knee. "No… I don't know what he's playing at. Maybe revenge for giving him a black eye? Let's finish up… I'm getting all pruney."
After they washed thoroughly, Harry stepped out of tub and picked up her discarded wand. "Tepido," she said, pointing at Ginny. A great rush of warm air swirled around her, drying her body completely. She repeated the charm on herself and their clothes. Harry sighed happily and said, "I love magic."
Harry's voice had grown quieter while they lay in her bed, talking softly about nothing in particular. They had lain there awake for at least an hour; Ginny fiddling with Harry's hair, braiding it into tiny patterns and weaves. I think she fell asleep.
When Harry squirmed underneath her hands, Ginny drew the curtains and lay down next to her, listening to her soft moans and pants.
"Harry…" She shook her shoulder lightly. Harry didn't respond so she shook her again, harder.
"Mmmm?" Harry pushed the small of her back into Ginny's stomach and stuck a leg between her knees. "Wuzwrng?"
"Harry?" she asked, squeezing her shoulder. "What can I do to help? You're… you're moaning again.
"Huwhuh." Harry turned halfway to face her. Her eyes were only open halfway but Ginny could see deep pools of emerald filling the whole space beneath her lids. When their eyes met, Harry seemed to wake fully. "Gin?"
"Harry you're panting and groaning. It scares me." Ginny brushed a little hair from Harry's face. She was glistening with sweat.
Harry sighed heavily and looked purposefully away from her. "I… forgot about that." She raised a hand and placed it palm first on her forehead. "Merlin… look it isn't… it isn't a bad feeling. I promise."
She cuddled into Harry's side and tugged at her ear, getting the girl to look back at her. "Why does… why does it only happen when I'm around?"
Harry shook her head fervently and placed a hand over top her own. "Gin… can this… can this be our one secret? I just don't want to… you'll hate me if I tell you. I can't… I can't lose you.
Ginny clenched Harry's t-shirt and pulled her all the way round. "Harry I could never-"
But Harry cut her off, cupping the back of her neck. They were nose to nose. Harry's irisless green eyes were wet with tears. "Please Ginny… just this one thing. The only thing. I promise. Besides… you'll… you'll figure it out anyway… eventually."
She couldn't argue with Harry's pained, pleading look, and after several moments of internal fighting, she nodded. "Okay but… will you tell me when I figure it out anyway?"
Harry held out her pinky. "I promise. If you still want to be around me that is."
Ginny took it with her own and they shook. "Don't be an idiot… of course I will." Harry however, did not seem convinced.
Harry opened the curtains and looked at the grandfather clock standing up against the dormitory wall. "Almost five. Do you… do you think you can sleep through it? If not, we can just stay awake."
"Yeah, I can I think… Mum says I can sleep through a thunderstorm if I'm having good dreams."
Harry giggled lightly. "I'll stay up until you fall asleep then."
Ginny turned over on her side and pulled Harry's arm around her. She whispered so softly that she didn't think Harry heard her. "I could never hate you."
Closing her eyes, she sunk into the warm bed and a warm embrace.
Within what seemed like minutes, she was awake again. Light streamed in through the crack in the curtains. It took her a second to recognize the bed she was in; to recognize the arm wrapped around her; to recognize the leg draped over top her own; to recognize the heavy panting breath on her neck; to recognize the hips that were sliding softly and slowly against her bum.
Smirking, Ginny reached behind her and wiggled her fingers in Harry's knee. With a great heave and a squeal, Harry jumped awake, nearly throwing Ginny out of the small bed. Ginny turned and rolled over onto Harry's stomach, laughing.
"Shhhh. I'm sorry," she whispered into her best friend's ear. "I couldn't resist."
Ginny watched as the green of Harry's eyes was sucked back to the center, as if it was water flowing down a drain. Pupils faded into view. Harry was doing her best to glare at her. "I'll get you back. Just you wait. Can you get my glasses? They're on the dresser."
Ginny reached out of the curtains and plucked them off the little wooden set of drawers. She froze at the sight of the grandfather clock. Eight fifteen! "No… I don't want to go yet," she moaned, as she pulled her head back into the bed.
Harry's face fell sharply. "Then don't go."
"I want to stay!" she cried out.
"Then stay."
"But I can't!" Her shoulders slumped as she said it.
"I know.
She dove on top of Harry, hugging as tightly as she could. Hands wove their way into her hair and she was hugged just as tight. She knew the longer she stayed here, the more likely her mother would kill her.
She pawed at Harry's neck and buried her nose into the soft cotton of the T-shirt beneath her. She didn't want to move.
"I'll miss you, Gin."
"Yeah." She nodded fiercely against the cotton. "I miss you already."
The Burrow was quiet when she returned. Her mother was sitting in an armchair across from the fire as she did a bit of knitting. She didn't look up as Ginny approached. Ginny braced herself for the certain explosion.
But it didn't come.
"Er… hello mum. I'm-"
"I will say this one thing, Ginevra… since you will bare any punishment I dole out with pride on your face." The tone of her mother's voice was like ice down her spine. "If you ever… do something like this again… you will never be allowed to go to Hogwarts. If you ever do something like this again, I will not allow Harry in this house, and you will never see her again. Do I make myself clear?"
Her heart almost dropped out of her chest. "Yes mum."
"Good. Now go to your room. I don't want to see your face again until your father gets home."
Ginny turned on the spot and dashed up the stairs as quickly as her feet could carry her.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Ron was furious. His fists ached to pound the smirk off Malfoy's face, but he didn't think beating the stuffing out of the poncey little bastard in front of Filch would be the best idea. What infuriated him the most, is that ever since Malfoy told her about Snape jinxing her broom, Harry had started to tolerate this… arse.
My Harry would have jinxed him into oblivion ages ago.
"Why'd you bloody do it, Draco? You knew you'd get caught as well. You're every terrible thing I can think of… but you're not stupid." Harry whispered heatedly. "You lost us one hundred and fifty points."
"Oh yes Harry…" Malfoy drawled, "because I so care about Gryffindor's chances for the House Cup. Well… for several reasons I suppose. One, your loss of points will most likely put Slytherin in the lead for the House cup. I'll be regaled as a hero. Two, I had to pay you both back for the punches."
Malfoy leaned down to Harry's ear but Ron still heard him. "Three, because I wanted to spend time with you away from Pansy's nattering."
He straightened back up and said loudly, "and four… because there's nothing I enjoy more in this world, than pissing off Weasel here."
Ron spun and raised his fist, but Harry stepped between them, and shook her head fiercely, nodding at Filch. He lowered his fist and Malfoy sneered at him. "Control your dog Harry."
Before he could retaliate properly, Harry had her wand out and was pressing it into Malfoy's neck. She whispered fiercely to him as she pulled him along after Filch. "Just try me Draco. Try me. I don't know why you've stopped making an effort to do what you said you'd do… and I don't know what started this little bastard streak you have going on, but I've just about had enough. One more word in front of me about any of my friends, and as soon as I've learned the cutting curse, your bits will be gone. Do you understand me Draco? Gone."
Malfoy retained his composure, but Ron was happy to see that he'd gotten just a bit paler. There's the Harry I know.
Filch led them down to Hagrid's hut, lecturing them about how he used to punish students that he'd found out of bounds, and that the good ol day's had long since ended when they banned torture.
"About time. Wha took yeh Filch?" Hagrid called out through the darkness. In the dull lamp light, Ron could just make out the man's enormous shape against the treeline.
Filch snorted angrily. "Never you mind, Hagrid. Just take these whelps off me hands. I'll be back at dawn… fer whats left o them." He said the last bit rather nastily before heading back up to the castle.
"Alrigh Harry? Ron?"
"Yeah. Thanks Hagrid," Harry said cheerfully.
"M'okay," he agreed.
Hagrid unslung his giant crossbow and knelt down to look the four of them in the eye. "Alright now listen up and listen good. It's dangerous wha we're doin tonight and I don't want no one taking any risks in the forest.
Malfoy choked. "The forest? I'm not going in there!"
"Scared Malfoy?" His voice almost broke with his own fear as he said it. Malfoy just glared at him. Ron stuck up two finger's and peered into the depths of the woods yet all he could see was fog and more thick threatening trees.
"Look here," said Hagrid, walking to a thick trunk and running a finger down a smear of silver. "Thas unicorn blood tha is. There's one in there thas been hurt bad by summat and we got ter find it see? There's blood all over the place so it might still be staggerin around."
Harry spoke up. "Hagrid… was it a werewolf do you think?"
"Nah… not fast or strong enough ter catch one. Right powerful beings unicorns are. We need ter find it and help it. Or we might have ter put it out of its misery. Right we'll split into two groups ter-"
"I want to go with Harry," Malfoy said quickly.
"Uhh… alright. Draco, Harry, Neville you take Fang. Ron you come with me and hold me quiver." Quiver holder… great. "Now if anyone finds the unicorn, send up green sparks… and if yeh get inter trouble, send up red. Alright… yeah like that Neville… les go."
As Hagrid entered the forest with his back turned, Ron grabbed Malfoy's collar and slammed him into a tree.
"Get off-"
Ron cut him off and whispered intensely. "No. You listen to me you piece of shite. If you hurt Harry…"
Malfoy laughed in his face. "Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before Weasley. Pain, beatings, you'll kill me… I get it. Now get your dirty hands off me."
Ron let him go, roughly shoving him as he did so. As he stalked after Hagrid, he felt a light touch on his arm and fingers entangle with his own. Harry was staring at him pointedly, as if to say 'I can handle Malfoy.'
"I know… sorry."
She squeezed his hand and stood on her tip toes to kiss his cheek. "Thanks, Ron."
Shortly after they entered the forest, they reached a fork in the path where they split up. Ron hoisted Hagrid's quiver, which was almost as large as his own body. After about five minutes of walking down the path they heard a loud crackling of dead leaves in front of them.
Hagrid held out his hand for him to stop. "Ron… give me a bolt and get behind me… slowly now."
Ron peered into the fog through the crook in Hagrid's arm. Something… was moving ahead of them. They stood stock still, frozen in place, listening.
Then quite suddenly, through the brush beside them, burst two large horses. One of Hagrid's bolts went singing into the darkness as he jumped.
Upon closer inspection he found that these two horses, were not horses at all… they were centaurs. Real centaurs. Not like those bloody kelpies out in Devon.
"Oh. Hullo Bane… Ronan," said Hagrid, reslinging his crossbow. "Almost hit yah."
"No matter Hagrid… arrows would not penetrate our hide," said the black haired centaur.
"Uh o'course… this here is Ron Weasley… a student up at the school. Ron, this is Ronan and Bane." Hagrid gestured to each respectively. "Say… do either of yeh know whas been attacking the unicorns? We're tryin ter find one thas been hurt."
Bane cocked his head to Ronan and said, "Always the innocent are the first victims."
Ronan only nodded. Cantering towards Ron, Ronan stopped and tilted his head back at the sky. "Look boy… do you see it. Mars is bright tonight. Unusually bright." His voice was deep and twanged rather roughly.
Ron saw a tiny red star where Ronan was pointing. "Ummm yeah sort-" When he looked back down, Ronan's grizzled face was not two inches from his own. His whinnying breath stank of fish and dirt.
"Ronald Weasley, born under the Knight… you ring like the shield while she sings like the blade. Neither will break in the same hands." Ronan's widely separated horse-like eyes were wide, staring at him… staring through him. The centaur's words were ringing meaninglessly throughout Ron's head.
Ron didn't know what to say. "O…okay then."
When Ron regained control of his reeling mind, the centaurs had gone as quickly as they had come. Hagrid patted him on the shoulder. "Odd creatures centaurs. Can't make sense o' half wha they say ter yeh."
"Yeah that was-"
Ron froze.
Red sparks! Harry…
He burst into motion, running as fast he could towards the light. He crashed through undergrowth, dodging trees, jumping roots… moving full speed through the forest.
He saw Harry in a clearing up ahead and she… was absolutely fine. She was standing in front of Malfoy, wand drawn and yelling at him.
Ron pulled out his own wand and for the first time, successfully cast the most powerful curse available in the first year curriculum. "EXPULSO!" he yelled, pointing at Draco's head. Unfortunately, the explosion curse didn't work on animate objects, but the resulting shockwave knocked Draco right on his arse. Ron followed up the curse and dove on the smaller boy. He pulled back his fist and slugged Malfoy as hard as he could, right in the jaw. Malfoy groaned and rolled over, holding his head. He pulled back again, but Harry caught his arm and dragged him over to her.
"Ron, no! He just scared Neville! It's alright."
He tried to pull away from her to get back at Malfoy, but Quidditch seemed to have made Harry's grip surprisingly strong. "Let me go Harry. I'll only kill him a little bit."
The corners of her mouth twitched upwards, but she didn't relinquish her hold on him. Hagrid arrived moments later, wheezing slightly. "Wha… whas happened?"
Neville whimpered but admitted in a small voice, "Malfoy grabbed me from behind and I… I panicked."
"R-Right," said Hagrid. "We're changing groups. Malfoy, Neville… come with me. I'll keep an eye on the both of yer. Harry, Ron, you go with Fang."
After they had left Ron turned to Harry. "You should've let me stomp him."
Harry nodded. "Yeah… but his father is on the school's board of governors. If you beat Draco to a pulp you'd get kicked out for sure." She grabbed his hand and grinned. "I'd miss you too much."
He felt his ears heat up. "Yeah… well… okay.
They walked through the forest, talking softly, hand in hand, for what seemed like hours.
"I'd play for the Harpies if I could though. They've been at the top of the English league for what… ten years?
"Aww come on Harry. You could go pro right now! The Canons need you! All they really need is a good seeker."
Harry giggled and said, "and a Keeper."
"Well… yeah."
"and three chasers… and two beaters…"
"Alright alright! Hey, did you finish that essay for po-"
Harry's arm had crossed in front of him and she whispered sharply, pointing to a clearing up ahead. "Ron… look… there."
Forty or so paces ahead of them stood a large shimmering white horse, with a single white horn protruding from its head. It was leaning its body into a thick tree. Ron could see, even at this distance, a large splotch of silvery liquid dribbling down its hindquarters. Harry raised her wand and swirling tower of green sparks shot into the air. Harry ran towards it, out through the clearing, Ron following her closely.
The unicorn whimpered as they approached. Harry had her hand out in a calming, friendly gesture. "It's alright," she whispered. "We're here to help."
Out of nowhere, Ron's left arm exploded with pain. "AGHHH!" He fell to ground screaming. Opening his eyes, he saw a large gaping hole in his bicep, blood pouring quickly from the wound.
He heard Harry cry out, "Fang! Come back!"
Harry was staring at him eyes wide with panic. Before she had even taken a step towards him, five flashes of light sailed past her and slammed into the unicorn. In every place they touched, silvery blood exploded in a shower from its flesh. The unicorn twitched violently… then lay still.
He watched from the ground as Harry whirled around with her wand out, only to be blown back into the corpse of the unicorn. He tried to get up to help her… but he couldn't move a muscle. He couldn't even open his mouth. Harry was in a similar situation. Ron could see her eyes moving frantically while her body lay still.
From behind them, there was a high cold laugh that made Ron's soul quaver with fright. Out of the corner of his eye he could see a cloaked figure walking slowly toward them.
It looked like... a man. Face shrouded in shadow but a man all the same. It glided toward Harry and the unicorn, bent down, and put its head over one of the horse's wounds. Ron heard a sick sort of sucking sound. He would have screamed if he could have.
When the man had finished, the unicorn had lost its shimmer and the horn on its head had crumbled into ash. It looked like a regular horse… adead regular horse.
The man let out a low feral laugh and reached towards Harry. "So tasty."
A different, high-pitched voice cried out, "Save your perversions!"
Both seemed to emanate from the cloaked figure.
His hand seemed to halt, but after a moment, it continued downward.
Ron felt harsh wind whipping around his body. The man laughed and slammed his wand down at Harry. A bludgeoning force hit her in the stomach and the wind died immediately.
He fought with every ounce of his will against the magic restraining him. NO! PLEASE!
Harry's eyes were screaming at him. In fear... in pain. And he could do nothing. He could only watch as spidery hands grabbed at her chest; as they clenched at her through her skirt; as they lifted it and grabbed her knickers tightly. Soft tears were sliding from Harry's eyes; eyes that were fixated on Ron; eyes that said only one thing:
Help me…
HARRY! I CAN'T! PLEASE! His own tears were pouring hotly down his face. He was losing so much blood.
An unholy scream echoed from underneath the man's hood when he touched her skin; both of the terrible voices screaming together in unison. The man, this horrible man, lurched backward and raised his wand. Ron's vision was going hazy.
A large shadow jumped clean over his head, charging towards the cloaked man. Ron watched with relief as he fled into the trees. I'm so… tired.
And he knew no more.
Harry's eyes were pained, darting about in fear.
"I'M SORRY. I CAN'T," he cried out.
She closed her eyes in disappointment and disappeared underneath a black cloak.
"NO! COME BACK! PLEASE!"
Toffee apple.
He opened his eyes, squinting from the bright sunlight. He was lying in a Hospital bed. Someone was gripping his hand and brushing the hair out of his eyes. He recognized her large mess of hair and dark chocolate eyes. "Mione?"
The hand tightened. "Oh Ron. I'm so glad you're okay. You lost almost half of your blood. In a normal human muggle, a class four hemorrhage is described as forty percent blood loss. Anything after that will most likely result in-"
Ron raised his hand and placed it over her mouth. "Mione. Shush."
She flared up, ready to start one of their fights, but Ron gave her his best attempt at a smile and her eyes softened considerably. "Where's Harry?" he asked her.
Hermione's face fell sharply. "She… she hasn't been out of the dorm since…" She cast her eyes downward and played with his thumb. "Well… she sat with you all night until Madam Pomfrey got you stable. Then she… she went back to her dorm and hasn't come out since. What happened out there Ron? I can understand avoiding the rest of the school's questions but… she… she won't even tell me. If you try to touch her she screams."
He swung his legs over the edge of the bed. "How long?"
"Two days. I've brought her food and water but she won't touch it. She just… she just lies in bed. I wrote to Ginny… to… to tell her and McGonagall has tried to- Oh no Ron- you mustn't!"
He had hopped down off the bed. "Are you going to stop me Mione… or are you going to help me?"
She seemed torn. "Madame Pomfrey will be furious… Oh… alright let's go. But you won't be able to get up the stairs anyway. Boys aren't allowed up the girl's staircase."
"You just watch them stop me."
They rushed back to the Gryffindor common room. He had gotten five steps up the girl's staircase when a loud bell sounded and the floor beneath his feet collapsed into a slide.
After sliding to the bottom, he got back up and glared at the reforming staircase. "Mione… go open the first year girl's door for me. Its right around that corner, yeah?"
"Yes… but what are you-"
"Just do it. I'm gunna use the railing."
Hermione sighed, but trouped up the staircase. "You'll kill yourself you prat."
I don't rightly care. He ran towards the staircase and jumped onto the handrail, grabbing a torch above it for balance.
After a few failed attempts and bruised elbows, he reached the top of the stairs jumping from rail to rail, torch to torch. Hermione was staring at him open mouthed. "Ron… that was…
"Yeah. Is she still in there?"
Hermione nodded. He jumped off the rail and into the dorm. He found her curled on a bed, still wearing the clothes he had last seen her in, clothes that were drenched in silver blood.
He placed a hand on her shoulder. "Harry?"
She flinched under his touch, but didn't scream, nor did she pull away. He pulled off his shoes and sat down on the bed. He put his hands under her arms and lifted her up to sit between his legs, as he leaned back against the headboard. She didn't protest, just put her cheek on his shoulder and lay still.
Hermione entered the room as well and sat at the foot of Harry's bed.
"Mr. Weasley!" McGonagal stormed into the room. "What is the- Oh my. She's… very well I'll just… I'll be in the common room."
The three of them sat for hours; Hermione occasionally reading passages aloud from her books; Ron just holding Harry, rubbing his thumb along her arm. Madame Pomfrey came into the dorm, and after giving him a very stern talking to, handed him a blood replenishing potion and left.
Lavender and Parvati came and went, giving the three of them very odd looks. At dinner time, the two actually brought them some food. Bread and cheese… but it was still the kindest thing Ron had ever seen them do. "Thanks Lavender, Parvati. That was great of you."
Parvati nodded gravely and Lavender blushed the tiniest bit red.
Professor McGonagall came in a few hours later and said quietly, "it's time to leave, Mr. Weasley."
When she said it, Harry moaned loudly and grabbed tightly onto the sleeves of his shirt. McGonagall sighed and pursed her lips. "Mr. Weasley… May I have your solemn oath that you will not leave this bed until I come to get you in the morning?"
Ron was stunned. "Yeah- Yes, Professor McGonagall… mamn."
"Very… very well. Not a step, Mr. Weasley." She flicked the curtains shut with a wave of her wand.
Hours after McGonagall left, Hermione asked him quietly, "Ron… do you… do you think she's catatonic?"
"Catawhat?"
Harry stirred beneath him and said feebly, "I'm not catatonic."
Ron squeezed her tightly and whispered into her ear. "You okay?"
Harry shook her head no and pushed herself into him. "My scar hurts. So badly."
"Your… your scar?" asked Hermione, shocked.
"Can you get me some water, Hermione?" Hermione nodded and ran from the room, returning a few minutes later with a large glass of water. "Freeze it."
Hermione took her wand and tapped it whispering, "Glacius." The glass froze over and she placed it into Harry's hands, who held it to her forehead.
Harry didn't speak again until the water inside had melted completely. Hermione had fallen asleep on the edge of the bed and Harry had started to cry softly into his shoulder. "Ron he… he touched-"
He cut her off before she could say anything more. "I tried Harry! I tried so hard. But… I couldn't… I tried so hard. He was too strong! I'll… I'll get stronger. It'll… I'll never let anyone…" He squeezed her waist and buried his head in her neck. "I'm so sorry."
She said nothing but her chest heaved with silent sobs. He closed his eyes and breathed with her.
He must've fallen asleep because when he opened his eyes, the tiniest bit of light shone through the curtains. Harry was turned over now, cheek resting on his belly. They had slid down so they were lying flat. Ron saw that Harry was still awake.
He sat up and she turned her head up to him. "I know you tried Ron. I… saw it in your eyes. But you… you wouldn't have been… Ron it was Voldemort."
He flinched. Her voice was weak, tired… but when she said the name it was if she had shouted it in his ear. "It can't be… no."
"Firenze told me… and I… I recognized his voice from… from the dream. He's after the Stone. Snape is probably trying to get it for him."
"We'll go to Dumbledore."
Harry sat up on her knees and shook her head. "No I… I can't tell anyone… about…"
"We could lie," he suggested hopefully.
"Dumbledore would know. No this… this has to stay with us."
"What about Hermione? Harry, we can't just leave her in the dark."
"You tell her. I… I just can't."
"Okay." After a moment of silence, he pulled her to him and hugged her. They fell back into the pillows and he valiantly tried not to avert his gaze as she stared into his eyes. "Harriet… I'm… I'll never let anyone hurt you again. Ever."
She ran a hand softly down his arm… before she punched it squarely in the fleshiest bit. "Don't call me Harriet… Ronald." The corners of her mouth twitched up and she hugged him back tightly.
0000
0000
0000
0000
"That wasn't too bad at all." Ron said cheerily as they exited History of Magic.
Hermione scoffed. "Obviously. You know revision does actually help. You really buckled down these last few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if you do quite well on all of your exams."
Neither would I. He's been trying really hard hasn't he? Ever since…
"Oi… thanks for that insult wrapped in a compliment, Mione. Really, I'm right chuffed."
"So what did you put down for the essay question on the back?" Hermione asked him innocently.
Ron stopped walking. He had gone white as a sheet. "Essay on the… ESSAY ON THE BACK? PROFESSOR BINS WAIT!"
Harry giggled as Ron dashed after the ghost. "Ohhhh, that was horrible Hermione."
"I know. I had to take him down a peg or two." Hermione put her arm around Harry's shoulder and Harry couldn't help but flinch. Hermione pulled her arm away quickly and said, "Oh… Harry, I'm sorry."
"It's fine. It's just… with everyone except Ron… it just happens. It's not you. Here." Harry grabbed her arm and slung it over her shoulder. "See? It's just when people reach out at me… I kinda flash back."
Hermione's eyes moistened. "I understand Harry, you don't have to explain…" She sighed and put her head on Harry's shoulder. "I should have been there with you."
"What so he could have gotten at you too? I'm happy you weren't there Mione."
Hermione smiled widely at Harry's use of Ron's pet name for her. "I do ever so like it when you both call me that. It… it makes me feel…"
Harry hugged her tight. "Yeah."
They heard Ron yelling around the corner before they saw him. "Mione! That wasn't bloody funny!"
"Au contraire, Ron!" Hermione pulled back and wiped at her eyes. "I'm still laughing!"
Ron stalked back towards them in a huff. "Well that was a cruel way to suddenly develop a sense… what's this then?" He gestured towards Hermione's wet cheeks.
Hermione patted him on the chest. "Nothing to worry about," she said and walked away down the hall.
When Ron turned to Harry for an explanation, she grinned and mimicked Hermione.
They spent the rest of the day down by the lake, lounging against a thick oak tree, watching a group of students tickle the giant squid. While Ron and Hermione were bickering about the importance of revision, Harry was writing a letter to Ginny.
She still hadn't told her. Ever since the forest, her letters to Ginny had gotten shorter, less descriptive. How could she write about trivial things when all that was ever on her mind was a pair spidery hands clenching and tearing at her? How could she tell her what had happened in a letter? Harry felt horrible as well. She had promised that they'd only have one secret.
Dear Gin,
Soon we get to see each other again. Just one more week. And then a few more weeks after that, we get to spend an entire year together! I want to explain why my letters have been so short, but I can't, not on paper. I need you to be there with me when I talk about it. So this summer I will. I made a promise. One secret only. Exams went well. I think Ron did better than I did in bloody History of Magic. I was just staring through Professor Bins for half the exam. Hope you're not doing too many chores.
I miss you,
Harry
She folded up the letter and put it in her bag. She could send it later tonight. It was a nice day out. It wasn't hot enough to be uncomfortable and there was a very nice breeze running across them from the water. Harry flipped the hourglass and the tangy scent of oak was replaced by strawberries. It warmed her heart.
The light breeze buffeted strongly against her face. Alice's soft humming turned into an opera. Ron and Hermione's heartbeats sounded like that annoying popping that Seamus did with his lips while he was reading.
She closed her eyes, listening, feeling everything.
She was walking slowly up to the Owlry. She knew that tonight was the night. With Dumbledore gone, she would have a clear path. She had learned the secret of the dog… music… so simple; she had found Snape's answer to the potion riddle; everything else would be child's play. Tonight, she and her master would become invincible. She looked again at the wonderful craftsmanship of her forged letter.
Cher Albus,
Some troubling Veela uprisings are taking place all over my country. There will soon be blood in the streets. Please, I would greatly appreciate your help in advising the French Government on the proper course of action. If you could meet me at the Ministry, I would be ever grateful.
Cordialement,
François Delacour
Yes… obscure enough to draw him out… perfect.
To her increasing delight, as she pushed open the Owlry door, she found a small girl standing just inside. Her hair, tied back with a little pink ribbon, was long, blonde, and slightly curly; her skin: light, pink, and delicious. Oh how she wanted to tear it off her; to watch her eyes as she flayed the flesh from her bone. 'Brown,' she thought her name was.
Perhaps a little snack… in celebration… I'll just hold off the flaying… well… I'll try to.
The girl sent off her owl and turned towards her. "Oh… hello Professor Quirrell. How are you today?
She shut the door with an unbreakable locking charm. The girl's eyes widened slightly as she stalked towards her. She hit the precious little thing with the strongest body bind she could muster.
"Quirrell… not now," cried her master. "There is little time. You will have your fill when we obtain the Stone!"
"Oh please Master. Just this one. Just look at her fear." The little girl's eyes were darting about the room searching for escape.
"… Very well… but make it a partial bind… I do enjoy their screams."
She threw a silencing charm on the door and flicked her wand at the girl, who started to scream manically, crying for help that wouldn't come as her body lay still as stone.
She pounced on her, ripping her clothes eagerly.
She frowned at the girl's developing bust line. Much too big. But she would take what she could get.
She roughly trailed her hands all over, pinching and grabbing every little delicious bit of her. She wanted to cut her. She wanted to tear her… but there would be questions.
The Brown girl's pathetic high pitched screams aroused her so very much; the weak push of her accidental magic, even more so. She didn't waste time. She pushed aside her robes, released herself, and plunged into Brown's tiny undeveloped entrance. The flesh inside the girl tore around her. The tiny barrier snapped with the force of her entry. Ahhh yes. She withdrew and saw the vast amounts of blood glistening all over. Her heart fluttered with pure joy. She slid back in.
The girl had stopped screaming and her eyes had rolled into the back of her head. Gone into shock.
She felt her master sigh disappointedly.
She finished quickly and stood, heart still racing; she tidied the girl and herself; repaired her clothes; healed what she could. There was no reason to not observe the niceties.
"Ennervate." The girl's tiny blue eyes rolled back into place and she again began to scream shrilly at the sight of her.
"Obliviate." Her face went slack.
She removed the memory, released the body bind, unlocked the door, and bent down to shake her awake. "M-m-Miss Brown. Miss B-b-b-Brown. Are y-y-you quite al-alright?"
The girl came back to herself. She looked around, totally confused.
"Miss B-b-Brown you had a t-t-t-terrible f-fall. D-do you n-n-need me to escort y-you to the H-h-h-Hospital Wing?"
"Oh… oh no Professor. Thank yo-
Harry was jerked awake by a splash of cold water.
Her scar was burning like it never had before. It was like a white hot knife plunging into her skull. She screamed and clutched it. A cacophony of voices assaulted her ears, all talking at once.
"Sweet Merlin did you see her eyes? Freaky."
"Harry! Harry! What can I do?"
"Harry let us help you."
"Is that Potter?"
"What's wrong with the crazy bint now?"
"You shut your bloody fat mouth Flint."
"Merlin, look… her head is bleeding."
"How long has she been screaming?"
"Serves her right… losing those points."
"Don't make me deck you Ernie."
"And after he hits you-"
"We'll hit you too. It'll be great fun. A Weasley family beating. Fred grab her other arm, Ron get her legs."
When the pain finally died down to a searing ache, she found herself staring up at a starry sky. She could just make out a red star that was particularly bright, shining from behind a darkened cloud. Great Hall… nighttime… QUIRRELL!
She sat up sharply and found Hermione's bushy hair right in front of her. She grabbed her and shouted at the top of her cracked weak voice "HERMIONE!"
The girl jumped and turned to her eyes wide. "Oh Harry thank g- mmph!"
Gasping for breath, Harry smothered Hermione's mouth with her hand, looking deep into her brown eyes. "Mione… Not Snape… Quirrell… forest… Quirrell… Lavender.
She looked around panting. Only a few students were in the Great Hall, playing cards, gobstones, chess… and all of them staring at her.
"Where's Ron?" she asked frantically
"Right behind you," Ron said, tapping her shoulder.
She stood and pulled them both up with her. "Guys! Where's Lavender Brown?"
"Up in your room I expect," said Ron slowly. "Why? One minute you're screaming in your sleep and the next minute you need Lavender?" Harry what the bloody hell is going on? What happened?"
She ran down the length of the Great Hall and yelled back at them, "Follow me!"
Professor McGonagall was out in the Entrance Hall, cleaning up sapphires from a broken Ravenclaw Hourglass. Harry skidded to a halt. "Professor! Has the Headmaster gone to the Ministry?"
"Potter… what on earth-"
"Has he?" she yelled frantically.
The stern woman nodded slowly. "Why…yes Potter he has. How did you-"
Harry was already darting up the stairs towards the common room, Ron and Hermione following behind her. She tore through the portrait hole and up to her dorm. Lavender was on her bed, intently reading Witch Weekly.
"Lavender!" She tore across the room and grabbed the girl by the shoulders. "Lavender… please tell me you didn't meet Professor Quirrell in the Owlry today. Please."
The girl's eyes were wide with shock and she stared at Harry open mouthed.
Harry shook her roughly. "Lavender! I swear, this is important! Tell me!"
"Oh… um… yes I did actually. He helped me up after I fell. How on earth could that be important to anything?"
Harry moaned and grabbed at her hair. This really happened.
She looked up at the blonde girl who was staring at her quizzically. Do I… do I tell her what happened to her?
Lavender put down her magazine and put a hand lightly on her own. "Harry you look like you've seen death. Your head is all bloody too!"
Ron and Hermione finally caught up with her. "Harry. What in the blazes?" wheezed Ron.
I can't tell her. She'll go mad. She leaned over and hugged Lavender tightly. "I'm so sorry."
Leaving Lavender stunned, she got up and went over to her trunk, pulled out her invisibility cloak, and walked out. "Ron, Hermione, come on, I'll explain."
Down in the common room she found a corner and sat on the floor. Ron and Hermione sat on either side of her. "Okay. Here's how it is. When I augment my magic and go to sleep, I can't dream. It's absolutely impossible. I just float in my magic. I fell asleep by the tree and… I had a dream. Except, it wasn't a dream! It was a vision of what was happening at that exact moment, because the things I dreamt about have actually happened! Quirrell he… he is Voldemort. They share bodies. They talk to each other! He… he did things to Lavender… things he didn't have a chance to do to me in the forest. He made Lavender forget and think that she fell over. He sent a fake summons to Dumbledore from the Ministry! It wasn't Snape at all. It's been Quirrell all along! Do you both understand what I'm saying?"
Hermione nodded quickly and Ron nodded slowly.
Harry breathed out heavily. "He knows how to get past Fluffy. He lured Dumbledore away… tonight is the night… and I'm going to stop him.
"Harry no! We have to go to a teacher!" cried Hermione.
"They won't believe us Mione! Quirrell helped protect the stone! We have to get it."
Hermione was shaking her head. "But Harry… How are we going to stop him? How are we going to beat him? He's a Hogwarts Professor!"
Harry ran a hand through her hair in frustration. "I… I don't know. But I'm going anyway!"
"Me too, Harry." Ron squeezed her arm.
Hermione bit her lip. "I hate this… but… well, I can't very well let you both go off without me again now can I? So… how do we get past the dog?"
Harry took her hand reassuringly. "With music… and I've got just the thing."
She rushed back upstairs to her trunk and dug around for the little flute. Alice slid down her arm, tangling into her little bit of ribbon from Christmas.
"You are a mosst fretful misstresss, chica. Alwayss the running and the sscreaming. It makess me mosst upsset.
She rubbed the little snake under its chin, leaned down and whispered, "Stay here. If I don't come back, find Ginny, she'll… well, just go be herally, okay?"
The dormitory door closed behind her with a soft click and she whirled around. Lavender was leaning against it, hands behind her back, eyes cast downward. "Harry," she muttered quietly. "I was… I was eavesdropping... downstairs." Oh bugger. Lavender looked up; dark blue eyes bore into Harry's own from across the room. "What… what did he do to me then?"
Harry sighed and walked over to her, taking Lavender's hand in both of hers. "Lavender… please. You… you don't want to-"
"Don't I have the right to know?"
"You do but… I don't want to tell you." She tried to convey the absolute horribleness of what she knew down through her hands. "Please Lavender… don't make me tell you. I can't tell you. You saw what I was like after… after the forest. How I still… flinch. What he did was… was so much worse."
Lavender gave her a stoic look.
"It was so… Look he… he did you a favor with that memory charm."
The blonde girl folded her arms and asked slowly, "Does it have to do with… is it why I hurt so much?" Her eyes flicked downward.
Harry couldn't answer her, but Lavender seemed to figure it out on her own. She stepped aside. "Oh. That's… Harry… you're going after him then?"
"Yeah."
Lavender's eyes, filling with tearful shame, flashed dangerously. "Kill him."
Harry was floored. "Lavender I can't-"
Lavender put her hand over her face and sank down to the ground, crying softly.
Can't I? Harry knelt next to her and Lavender leaned into her body, mumbling, "he should… he needs to… bastard. I want you to kill him!"
"Lavender, I have to go." She stood and Lavender made no move to stop her, she merely leant back against their doorframe with her eyes closed.
The common room emptied slowly. Eventually, the only people left were themselves and Neville. The boy was watching them closely. With her back turned, Harry whispered to Hermione, "how do we get rid of him?"
Hermione pulled out her wand, stuck it through the crook in her arm, and muttered under her breath, "Really sorry about this Neville… Petrificus Totalus."
Neville went slack, his eyes darting about in confusion.
Harry gasped. Hands were reaching towards her, grabbing her, tearing at her. Her scream of anguish was muffled by Ron's hand. He pulled her to him and cradled her. NO! PLEASE! LET ME GO!
"Mione!" Ron whispered fiercely, struggling to keep Harry in his hold. "What did you do to him?"
"What? It's just a simple second year spell… Oh! Oh no. Harry... I'm so sorry." Hermione's hand reached towards her and Harry panicked. She swung her legs up, kicking at Hermione and caused Ron to lose his balance. They fell to the floor with an almighty crash.
She couldn't stop the screaming sobs from escaping her throat. The whole house would've woken if Ron's hand hadn't been clamped tightly over mouth.
Eventually, with his soft tenor whispering soothingly into her ear, she calmed. Hermione was sitting next to them, her forehead on Harry's arm. "Harry, I didn't think. I'm sorry."
She sat up, giving Ron the most grateful look she could manage, and wrapped an arm around Hermione's waist. "It's alright, just… maybe a different spell next time?"
Harry pushed herself to her feet and walked over to Neville's armchair. Sitting on the edge, she placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "Neville. Look at me." His eyes darted up and met her own. "Don't be afraid. It has to be this way. You'd either try to stop us or follow us. Either way you'd get hurt. Voldemort is in the castle. I have to find him and stop him. When this spell wears off, if you still feel like you need to do something, go to McGonagall and tell her that someone is after the stone and that I've gone after them. Sorry again, Nev. Alright. Let's go."
When she saw the open door on the third floor, the reality of the situation crashed down on her. Quirrell was somewhere below them. He might already have the stone! "We need to hurry."
Fluffy collapsed in slumber as soon as Harry played the first note on the flute. Ron shoved the rather large paw out of the way and pulled open the heavy trapdoor. Peering down into it, he paled and said, "Well… ladies first."
Harry handed the flute to Ron and before anyone could protest, she jumped down into the pit.
She hit something soft and… moving. Hermione and Ron landed next to her with loud THWUMPS. Ron laughed loudly. "Oh. A terrifying drop onto a marshmallow. How is that even remo-MMPH
Something was creeping up her leg. She leapt up and darted for the barely visible wall. Hermione had done the same on the other side of the room. "LUMOS" Harry cried.
The blazing sun exploded from the tip of her wand and what she saw made her legs tremble. Giant vines were wrapped around Ron, covering his face. They were inching towards Harry and Hermione as well. The vines slowly pulled at Ron's torso and his limbs; Harry could hear his muffled scream of pain.
Hermione gasped. "Oh no! This is… THIS IS DEVIL'S SNARE! WE LEARNED ABOUT IT HARRY! REMEMBER?"
The vines had Ron completely entangled now. There was a sickening pop as his arm was wrenched violently behind him and his yelling intensified tenfold. Hermione was panicking and screamed at her from across the chamber, "HARRY... WHAT DO I DO?"
Harry shrieked as a vine wrapped itself up her leg and pulled her down to the ground, dragging her slowly toward the main mass of plant. She cried out overtop of Ron's muffled cries, "I DON'T PAY ATTENTION IN BLOODY HERBOLOGY HERMIONE! KILL IT OR ITS GOING TO RIP HIM IN HALF!"
She tried to crawl away from the vine but another wrapped around her midsection and jerked her backwards. Her wand flew out of her hand and clattered across the stone floor, thrusting them once again into darkness.
Harry heard Ron's other shoulder pop out of its socket and her heart lurched miserably when she heard his much softer weaker cry of pain. "HERMIONE… PLEASE. RON!
Hermione was muttering to herself frantically. "I…Devil's Snare… I don't… it… I can't remember!
Wind was swirling around them. Her magic was pulsing, her body was burning.
There was a loud THWUMP, a few moments pause, then a sudden cry of, "INCENDIO!"
A great burst of flame lit up the chamber. Harry shielded her eyes in the bright light, but she could still see him. Neville, pudgy bumbling Neville, Neville that could barely manage a levitation charm, was driving back the Devil's Snare.
Hermione echoed his spell and Harry saw the plant slithering… retreating into a corner. Harry and Ron were released, the latter dumped unceremoniously onto the stone floor. Harry jumped up and ran to him. She grabbed his arms and pulled him into the tunnel beyond. "Come on!" she shouted to Hermione and Neville, who were still shooting fire at the plant.
Harry pulled Ron's heavy body all the way down a sloping tunnel. When it flattened, she laid him on the ground and hugged his chest tight. "Oh Ron… I thought for a moment…"
Ron body was heaving and he was sobbing softly in pain. "Harry… my arms…"
"Hush," she whispered, cupping his cheek. "I know. Dislocated. Happened to me three times in Quidditch practice. Easy fix though, pops right back in. Neville, come help me."
Ripping off a part of her shirt at the seam, she directed Neville to press down on Ron's shoulder and said softly, "Ron… bite down on this because… well, this is going to hurt… alot.
"Ey…" he said through the cloth, "ken be wors den-"
She wrenched his arm upward.
"AGGGHHHHHHHHH MUHWIN'S BWOODY BAWWS!" His face scrunched in horrific pain as the ball slid back into its socket.
She straddled Ron's waist. "Neville, other arm… quick."
Ron huffed, "no… Wai a mo- AGHHHH!"
Panting, Harry brushed her hair back behind her ear, kissed Ron's cheek, and fell back against the floor. If Neville hadn't come…
Hermione was cradling Ron's moaning head in her lap. "Neville… how on earth did you get down here?"
Neville laughed nervously. "Well I… I overheard you in the common room. I… was going to stop you, but… when you said you were going after Voldemort… well… I know I'm not good at most things, but I had to help. Almost got nicked by Filch. And I… I sang to get past the dog."
Harry couldn't stop the laugh that bubbled up and out of her chest.
Hermione grabbed the pudgy boy and pulled him down in a tight embrace. "Oh Neville… you just saved all of our lives. Sorry about the body bind."
Neville rubbed the back of his head bashfully. "N-No worries. Gave me time to think about what I wanted to do, I suppose."
Ron weakly held out his arm to Neville who gripped it with his own. "Nev… I can't even tell you how grateful I am." He grinned slyly. "Next time Malfoy gives you trouble, you come to me and I'll deal with him. I've decked him enough that he actually flinches when I move my arm too suddenly. I've made a game out of it."
Harry crawled over to them and took Neville's hand. "And next time Snape gets on your case, I'll charm his hair pink." She stood and wiped off her skirt, saying resolutely, "after that I… I don't want to go on… but we have to. Ron, can you stand?"
Ron grimaced. "Oh sure… I just… can't feel my arms. Help me up would you?"
The four of them walked down the long tunnel into a brightly lit room. The ceiling, as high as the great hall, could almost not be seen due to the mass of birds flying below it.
Hermione, with her eyes on the birds, cautiously walked across the room to the door on the other side. She jiggled the handle. "Locked. Alohomora!" The lock jiggled but the door remained sealed.
The birds above them flapped gracefully around the high ceiling, tinkling softly.
Wait a moment… tinkling? She flipped the hourglass and suddenly the birds… or rather, flying keys, were right in front of her eyes. "They're keys! I bet my Nimbus one of them unlocks that door!" She spotted the broomsticks on the ground and grinned widely. "Cake."
A broomstick flew into Harry's hand as she ran at them. Laughing madly, she leapt into the air, pulling the broom under her mid-jump. Soaring upward, immersing herself amongst the keys, she easily found one that stood out. It was looping around a torch, wing bent, and trying to hide. She dove for it and the key shot off in the opposite direction. However, the battered old broom was not quite up to the chase.
Desperate measures then. She chased it wantonly, watching its every move closely. As the key tried to reverse direction around a beam, she lowered a leg and latched her foot onto the support. She spun around it using her foot as leverage, slingshotted out at a phenomenal speed, and caught the little thing with a shout of triumph.
Back on the ground, Ron was staring at her open mouthed. "A BALLENTINE TURN! Are you kidding me Harry? Please… won't you play for the Canons?"
Harry smirked, turning the key in the lock, and punched him in the arm.
"Ha! Didn't feel a thing! Devil's Snare-1 - Potter-0."
The room beyond was pitch black. Hermione tried to light her wand but the black seemed to suck in the light. They walked slowly forward into the dark, placing their feet carefully in front of them. As soon as they were all inside, the door behind them slammed shut, and the room was flooded with light.
A giant chessboard lay before them, black on their side, white on the opposite side. Another door, just like the one they had passed through, lay behind the white set. Harry ran toward it, but right when she reached the front line of white pawns, the pieces came alive. The pawn in front of her swung his stone shield viciously into her chest, knocking her back a good ten feet.
Winded, she coughed and spat crimson onto the smooth, white, marble square she had landed in. "Bugger."
Ron's hand fell behind her head. "You okay?" She nodded, coughing up the last of the blood, and wiped her mouth. "Well," said Ron. "I guess we play across. Alright… my turn… I suppose. We'll need to take the places of pieces and I'll need to keep all of you active so… right… Welsh Gambit. We'll all get on the same side. Mione you take that Rook, I'll take the Knight, Neville the Bishop, Harry you take the Queen."
As he said it, the four side by side pieces moved off the board, and Harry felt a heavy something fall softly on her hair. She reached up and felt cool thick metal.
Hermione giggled. "Nice crown Harry. This is obviously McGonagall's and Flitwick's. I've seen them playing together every now and then."
When they took their squares, a white pawn slid forward two spaces. Ron furrowed his brow and Harry saw his face change into that of Chess Ron's. "Right then."
When the other black knight took the first white piece, they all gasped in shock. The knight had drawn his blade and lopped off the head of the smaller white pawn. The game became increasingly brutal after that. Harry tried to keep up with Ron's thought process, analyzing his rapid orders, trying to play out games in her head, but she was always behind him. Ron's moves made no sense to her.
"Harry, B4."
"Knight to E3"
"Pawn to C4"
"Neville, G5… yeah. That space there."
"Mione, D1… Yup, that one."
The game dragged on and on. Ron kept them all from being taken, but they were bleeding pieces, and Ron's moves became much slower. He was most likely playing games to the end in his head. A guarded pawn loomed ever closer to her square. It slid into the space diagonal from her own, its blade gleaming in the light.
She cried out to him from across the board. "Ron. I'm about to get taken!"
He smiled at her sadly. "No you're not, Harry… look at the board."
Harry stared around at the pieces, playing out games as far as she could. And then she saw it. Sinking down to the floor she moaned at him. "No… Ron, you… you can't! I almost lost you already. Please."
Hermione cried out, "What? What is it?"
Ron's twinkling crystal blue eyes bore into her. "I made a promise didn't I? Never again."
You stupid noble bugger! Harry wanted to slap him. "Ron just try with the other Rook! It… it might work."
"No… I have a feeling they won't take the bait. It's too obvious." He gave her his manic 'I just won at Chess grin.' "But this way, we win and you all stay safe. Good way to go out."
Hermione had caught on. "NO! Don't you dare Ronald Weasley! Let's just start over. We can-"
The pawn next to her suddenly had its knife to Harry's throat. Every piece on the board had drawn their weapons and was pointing it at one of them.
Ron laughed hollowly and said, "Yeah, thought that would happen." He yelled to the surrounding room, "it's alright! We're staying to finish." The pieces replaced their blades as one. "Besides the Queen has just been smashing people with her fists. I might be okay."
Harry couldn't look at him anymore. "Ron… please… I…"
"Yeah… me too, Harry; Hermione, you as well, I'm sorry I was such a bugger to you at first. Neville, sorry I didn't get to know you better. Harry you... you look after Gin for me."
"Ron stop please! We can… Oh god…I can't watch you do this!"
He stepped out of his square, moved forward, and said, "Check."
Harry shut her eyes and covered her ears, but she still heard Hermione's scream and Neville's yell.
It was torment to her ears. With her eyes still closed, she said in a quavering voice, "Hermione! Take the Queen and… and say check."
The Queen's crown clattered against the marble. "Check.
She heard the white King slide into the only place it could. "Neville. Move diagonally to the left and forward three. Say check."
"Check."
Harry opened her eyes, keeping them trained on the floor. She walked past the pawn to the edge of the board and cried out in anguish, "Checkmate!"
The white crown sailed to her feet.
Harry ran to Ron as fast as she could and slammed into his prone form. His head was oozing blood in a steady stream. "No… Ron… please… come back to me… please… please… Ron we have to go back to the Burrow…" Shaking him lightly, she pleaded, "We have to go flying yeah?" She pawed softly at his neck, crying into his chest. "Please Ron… come back."
He lay still… and her heart broke.
My parents… my best mate... oh Ron.
Red eyes bore into her soul. A high cold laugh echoed about in her mind.
Trying to keep his stomach inside his body.
A knife dripping with blood.
Bleeding, beaten to her last breath, her heart slowing.
Hands around her throat, watching the life drain away from her.
Roasting in a towering inferno of flaming horses.
Her children torn and clawed by the hands of the dead.
"So tasty."
"Make it a partial bind… I do enjoy their screams."
"He should… he needs to… bastard. I want you to kill him!"
I… hate you.
I hate you. I hate you! I HATE YOU! I'LL KILL YOU!
She jumped up, tears streaming, screaming in rage. Gale storm winds buffeted Hermione and Neville to the ground. Her core raged and seethed; her skin burned with white fire; her heart pumped a million times a second.
Turning, she barreled through the now open door. She hurtled over the leg of a dead troll. The next door blew apart before she even reached it. She ran down a tunnel of searing hot black flame. It burned, but only just, the wind battering it down to the ground.
Bursting into the open, she saw a familiar Mirror resting upon a raised platform; saw the man standing in front of it; saw the familiar turban… and knew what lay beneath it.
Quirrell turned to her, "Ahhh Potter. How absolutely delicio-"
Whipping out her wand, she cried out with all pain she felt in her heart, with all the pain of those she had watched Voldemort murder,
"EXPULSO!"
The bright sun within her rushed down her arm and the shockwave that exploded from the tip of her wand rocked the entire chamber. Quirrell, too slow to react, was blown off the platform. He flew backwards into the hard stone wall twenty feet away. She ran forward and cried again,
"EXPULSO!"
Quirrell was crushed into the ground. She heard several satisfying cracks. Both the man, and the monster, screamed in pain. She cast the spell again pointing at his face… but this time… he was ready for her.
"Protego!" he yelled out.
A shimmering wall of air erupted in front of him and Harry was thrown backwards by her rebounding curse. She landed hard, painfully, but her tumultuous anger toward this monster spurred her to get up and fight.
"LOCOMOTOR MORTIS!" she screamed.
Quirrell swatted away her leg locker curse as if it were an annoying gnat. His face was curled in a twisted smile, as he strode purposefully toward her.
Dismayed, rage flickering to fear, she cried desperately, "Incendio!"
This time, Quirrel didn't speak, merely flicked his wand and the flames dissolved into nothingness.
Their exchange continued for some time. He never tried to come close enough to grab her, he simply stayed in close range, knocking away or reflecting all her harmful curses and jinxes.
When Quirrell spoke, his voice was laced with sickening laughter and showed no trace of his signature stutter. "Really Potter? First year curses and jinxes against Quentin Quirrell, Vassal to Lord Voldemort. The Dark Lord whispers his terrible knowledge into my very ear. What next? Charms?"
Good idea, you bastard!
She focused her mind on a simple sharpened arrow and heatedly whispered, "Apparo!"
With a sharp twist of her wand, the conjured arrow flew toward Quirrell, burrowing deeply into his right shoulder. He growled in pain, but her victory was short lived.
She was horrified as Quirrell vanished the arrow and drew his wand across the wound. The flesh slid shut with a soft slick. Quirell's smirk returned to his face and he hissed menacingly, "ah yes, I forgot. Flitwick's newly found prodigy. A master conjurer at the age of eleven. Well girl, since you insist, we shall… play rough… NOX ARGENTUS!"
She only just barely managed to dodge. Black lightning singed her hair; the curse bore the smell of acrid smoke. Quirrell followed up with a red curse that slammed into her shoulder.
White hot knives pierced every inch of her skin. Her bones burned. Every nerve in her body was screaming in agony, screaming as she did.
And then it was gone as quickly as it had come. She fell to her hands and knees, body still twitching from the curse. Quirrell leant against a pillar, twirling his wand between his fingers. "Did you enjoy that Potter? I did."
Harry got up and ran as fast as she could around the Mirror, conjuring four more arrows. Quirrell, batted them away as he had done her jinxes. He slashed his wand downward sending an arc of purple light flying toward her. She dodged back behind the Mirror, which trembled with the impact of the spell, glowed, and shot it right back at him. He only just managed to move out of the way.
A high cold voice echoed out from the turban, "Do not hit the mirror fool! Cease your game. She heard Quirrell snap his fingers and ropes sprang around her body.
He was… he was toying with me…
She rose up and flew through the air. It was as if a large hand had grabbed her and pulled her around next to Quirrell, to hover an inch off the ground. The man ran a finger across her shoulder, and down her chest. He pinched her hard on the nipple and she screamed in protest. She was flashing back to the forest and the Owlry.
Quirrell moaned with sickening delight. "Ahh, your scream is so sweet. I can taste the fear. It drips with it. Perhaps, a little more…" His hand drifted downward to her skirt and he grabbed at her sex roughly through the cloth.
Harry choking screaming cries were met by pitiless ears. She fiercely fought against the ropes but to no avail. Quirrell's face was inches from her own, his eyes merciless black eyes boring into her own tearful ones.
"Cease Quirrell! There is no time!"
Quirrell moved his lips close to her ear and she shivered in fear as once again, she felt his breath on her neck. "It's a shame I cannot touch your skin without feeling pain. I could do such wonderful things to you. It is also a shame we have so little time together, Potter. I must examine this Mirror. Perhaps we can play more… after. Now sit." He waved his wand and something invisible and thick slammed into her stomach, knocking her over off the platform.
Quirrel stepped in front of the mirror. "I see myself holding the stone, presenting it to you, Master. But I cannot reach it…"
As Quirrel muttered to himself, Harry lay on the ground shivering, her mind shifting hopelessly from each terrible thought to the next. No one is coming to save me. Quirrell is going to get the stone. Voldemort is going to live forever. Quirrell will touch me. He'll torture me. I'm going to die here. Quirrell will make it painful. Ron… is gone. I'll never see Ginny again.
A hand clamped over her mouth and a voice whispered in her ear, "Don't scream. Don't speak." Oh thank god. Hermione! She's got the cloak!She was glad Quirrell was turned or he would have seen part of her head disappear. Hermione's voice became even quieter. "Ron's alive. I sent a letter to Dumbledore. Stall him. I'll be here." The hand lifted.
She could only process two words of what Hermione had just said.
Ron's alive.
Ron's alive?
Ron's alive!
RON'S ALIVE!
A large piece of her heart soared back into its proper place.
"Master! My deepest desire is to find it! Why can I not?"
Harry flashed back to an overheard conversation… and to a mirror covered in blazing gold gibberish.
"I promise you Nicholas. It will remain untouched. The enchantments I will place will not allow anyone that wishes to use it, to retrieve it."
I don't want to use it…
In her mind, she felt a creeping tendril retract quickly. Voldemort's voice whispered to Quirrell through the turban. "Use the girl. She knows the truth."
Bugger.
Quirrell snapped his fingers and the ropes disappeared. "Yes… Potter, come here." She got up and walked toward the mirror. "Tell me what you see." He pushed her in front of the mirror.
She didn't see her family. She didn't see the Weasleys. She saw two people. One was her own reflection. Her pale face was cut, stained with dirt and blood. Her slightly pointed chin had a severe burn that she only just now started to feel. Her hair, as messy as ever, was limp with grime and sweat. Everything about her screamed "dead girl walking." Everything… except her eyes. They were twinkling and staring down at a dark red stone resting in the palm of the other occupant of the mirror.
Ginny had her arm around her shoulders. Oh Gin. I have to see you again. Please let me see you again. Help me. Ginny gave her a radiant smile and winked. She leaned over and gave her reflection a long lingering kiss on the cheek, slipping the blood colored stone into the side pocket of Harry's skirt as she did so. Something heavy slid against her thigh. Oh Merlin. Right… stall him. She put on her most convincing voice and said softly, "I… I see myself, with my family… alive."
"Lies."
Quirrell grabbed her hair and wrenched upward. "Potter, tell the truth, what did you see?"
Harry said nothing and felt the tendril enter her mind once again. Desperate, not knowing if it would work, she pictured her mind in the form of a hammer, and slammed it down on the end of the intrusion. It withdrew hurriedly and Quirrell flinched away from her.
Voldemort laughed cruelly. "Ahhh yes girl. Crude in method… yet effective. You are most gifted at mind magic for one so young. Dumbledore's would be apprentice. Quirrell… I will speak with her face to face. Unveil me!"
"Master you are not yet strong enough."
"Do not question me. I have strength enough for this."
Quirrell unwrapped his turban. Had Harry not been expecting this horrible visage with burning red eyes, she would have screamed. For it was, if anything, horrible, sinister... and evil.
When their eyes met, she felt another, much thicker tendril creep into her mind. She looked away quickly and tried to hammer on it like before, but the tendril remained, worming its way into her memories. She closed doors left and right; doors with her friends, doors with her magic, doors with her past. Voldemort however, didn't seem the least bit interested in any of this, for he was only looking for one thing. The Stone...might as well give it to him. She brought it to the forefront of her mind and the tentacle retreated. Kill her, Kill her, Kill Her, Kill Her!
Voldemort hissed softly, "Most appreciated girl… so like your mother. I killed your father first. He put up a courageous fight. I will even go as far as to say, one of my greatest. Your mother however, did not resist. She begged me to take her life instead of your own. How foolish of me…"
His snake-like face contorted into a gleeful smile. "I will spare your life Harry, if you only give me the stone that lies in your pocket."
Harry backed away slowly. "That's a lie. You're an evil bugger and you'll kill me anyway. A far greater wizard than you, told me that a door once opened, can be stepped through in either direction. And that thought… is sitting right on your 'welcome' mat!"
"True... Kill her!"
Quirrell spun and raised his wand. "AVADA KEDAVRA!"
Harry saw the flash of green in slow motion. She dived to the side, tucking into a roll, and screamed, "MIONE, NOW! EXPULSO!"
"PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!"
Quirrell quickly shielded her explosion curse, but Hermione's body bind hit home from behind. He toppled face first and when he hit the ground, Harry heard the sharp crack of his wand snapping. Harry conjured some ropes and tied Quirrell's frozen hands behind his back.
Voldemort's enraged face glared up at her as she stood over to him.
She leveled her wand square between his eyes.
"H-Harry…what are you doing?" questioned Hermione hesitantly.
His Red Eyes… they were manic, filled with hate. She had only seen eyes like that in one other place: Dumbledore's memory. The man. The crazed man. She knew the spell. It was in her mind as clear as day; how to cast it; how to speak it… she had lived it. All she had to do was gather her nearly exhausted magic, mutter the words, and Voldemort would disappear in a colossal wave of fire. Her hand shook.
Do it.
He's helpless…
So were you.
Ron's alive.
Your parents aren't.
I can't!
Quirrell deserves it. They both do.
I just… can't.
Do it…
I ca-
Do it…
Do it…
Do it…
"Do it… INCENDIOS GRA-"
Her wand flew out of her hand, sailing across the room to be snatched deftly out of the air by none other, than Albus Dumbledore. His eyes crinkled as he gave her an understanding smile. "Harry, while you more than anyone deserves to finish that spell, I do not wish for you to become a killer today. These jobs are ultimately best left to old men, like myself." He strode over and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. As soon as he touched her, her body let go of every little bit of adrenaline she had left.
Every pain, ache, burn, cut, scrape, and bruise on her body suddenly made itself known. She sagged against the Headmaster and he caught her, holding her to his hip. "He… touched me… tortured me… I need to…
"Quirrell and Voldemort will assuredly meet their end tonight Harry, but it will not be by your hand. Revenge is a most dangerous road, one I urge you not to venture down." He pointed his wand down at Voldemort and gave the monster a disappointed look, as if he were chastising a student. Voldemort's eyes bulged in what could have been rage, but looked more to Harry… like fear. Dumbledore spoke softly, "Till next time then Tom… Incendios Grata."
The spell did not explode like in the Headmaster's memory, but rather, fell softly, calmly, bathing Quirell and Voldemort in fire as hot as the sun. She wanted to look away, but she had to see them burn, needed to see the dying face of the one that had caused her so much pain. There was no scream. Silence reigned as the flame burned away the gleaming red stare.
Harry closed her eyes in relief.
0000
0000
"You destroyed me. You killed us. I should kill you where you stand."
Harry awoke with a start. The world was blurry. Someone had removed her glasses. She could see nothing except that she was in a hospital bed with the partitions drawn. It was dark. Still night then.
"Alas, you will not. You are a good man. And even if you did try, I do not think you would succeed. If you attempt such an act… then you are more a fool than the stone's seeker."
That's Dumbledore. She made to sit up, but found she couldn't move a muscle; it was dreadfully painful to even try.
There was a slapping sound of flesh hitting flesh. A sound she was intimately familiar with from her time at the Dursleys. A backhand.
"Do not speak to me that way, boy!" The man's angered voice echoed with waves of power that she could feel in her bones. It pulsed with a feel of impossibility; timelessness. "I am Nicholas Blaise-Flamel! Merlin Ambrosius suckled at my wife's teat! I, his teacher, beat him for words of such insolence!"
"You're being-"
Flamel's cutting tone cresendoed to a mighty roar that felt like it shook the walls of the castle.
"NO! I RAISED THE GREAT TEMPLE OF STONEHENGE WITH A WAVE OF MY STAFF! I SAW THE RISE OF ARTHUR; HIS BLOODY FALL AT MORDRED'S DARK BLADE! I HAVE TOUCHED THE BARK OF YGGDRASIL ITSELF; BASKED IN ITS UNHOLY LIGHT! I AM THE RIGHT HAND OF GODRIC GRYFFINDOR! SALAZAR THE BLACK DIED BY MY WAND! I DO NOT CARE IF YOU ARE THE MOST POWERFUL WIZARD IN THE WORLD, APPRENTICE! I AM THE ONCOMING STORM… AND YOU WILL SHOW ME RESPECT!"
Silence… and then…
"You… I am sorry, Nicholas." Professor Dumbledore's voice was quiet, almost cowed. "I spoke out of turn. But you must see reason. It had to be destroyed. The world cannot survive a Dark Lord that truly is immortal."
Flamel spoke somberly, rage and impossibility lost in mere seconds. "You've killed me; killed Perenelle. How could you, Albus? You were like a son to us."
"I do not believe you are afraid to die, teacher. You glimpsed the white shores of eternity when the Elixir first touched your lips. No… a man that has lived for seventeen hundred years does not fear death; he embraces it. You have lived on borrowed time; time that was never yours; time soaked in guilt. You… both of you… crave death… for I know you wish to see them again."
It was a long time before either man said a word. Harry thought they had left from her bedside.
"I am afraid, Albus… afraid of what they will say to their father… to their murderer."
"You made a mistake old friend. How could you have known of the exchange? You discovered the terrible price of Alchemy that very night."
"Why do you think the stone is blood red Albus?" Flamel cried out in an anguished voice, "It's because it's forged by blood! Life for life! It drained my children dry! Even my unborn child! They died a terrible, painful death! My wife was left barren, delivering naught but ash and bone! You have condemned me to face their judgment!"
"Mistakes are easily forgiven Nicholas; especially mistakes that are regretted with every fiber of your being. Really… it is long since time for you to start your next adventure… with your family at your side."
There was another long silence.
"Will you be there… when… when it is time?"
"Nothing would stop me but my own end. But that is years away yet. You have enough doses of Elixir to last another decade. Take Perenelle away. Do the things you have never done. Travel the world… go to Cabo."
"Ahh Cabo." Flamel said wistfully. "Yet, I do not think I could with another war on the horizon. The darkness rises once more."
"Nicholas you have fought the dark wars for millennia. It is time to lay down your wand and leave the battles to we… sprightly young folk." Dumbledore wheezed pointedly.
Flamel actually chuckled. "Of all those throughout the centuries that have born my knowledge Albus, of you I am proudest. You are a greater man than I; a greater man than Merlin, although mind you, he was an arrogant little snot… rightfully so, but still."
Harry heard receding footsteps.
"Nicholas?"
The footsteps paused.
She heard Dumbledore sigh softly. "For what it is worth… I am sorry."
"Ah. Well… no… no matter. It… had to be done. And you are right Albus… it has been long since time… and I am so very tired."
"I will write."
She listened to the sounds of his feet fading into the distance.
"So… Harry… I am most glad that you are awake."
How does he do that?
A purple and white blur parted the curtain and sat on the edge of her bed. Her glasses slid onto her face. Professor Dumbledore's smiling face was the first thing she noticed. The second… was the rather large pile of sweets and toilet seats stacked behind him.
"Tokens from your well wishers. The events that transpired between yourself and Voldemort are a complete secret, so naturally… the whole school knows. Several students throughout the school are fond of the notion that you are quite keen to blowing up toilets, and thus, have taken the liberty of doing so in your stead. It has caused Argus no small amount of heartache."
Harry wanted to laugh. She did. But… "Sir… he is gone, right?"
Dumbledore smiled at her sadly. "I believe you already know the answer to that question, Harry. You have seen him; seen how he so desperately clings to life. This isn't the end of Voldemort, but for now… yes, he is gone." Dumbledore paused and curled a finger into his beard. "I wonder Harry, may I once again step into your mind? I will not walk down the corridor… merely graze against your surface memories. I would like to see the events that transpired throughout your venture down the third floor corridor."
Voldemort was touching all over. Will… no… he won't. "Yes I… I trust you completely, Professor."
Professor Dumbledore was speechless for a moment, but then he smiled and his hand reached out to lightly clasp her shoulder. Surprisingly… she didn't flinch away. "To know that you feel that way Harry is, to me, the greatest honor I have ever been bestowed."
While Voldemort's touch in her mind had been repulsive, Dulmbledore's was light, delicate, and friendly. She relived the whole day as if she was watching one of Dudley's many movies on fast forward. When he withdrew, they both gasped slightly, as if they had come up for air. His hand slid off her shoulder and up to cup her cheek. His palm was wrinkled, soft against her burned and bruised skin.
The Headmaster's face was filled with remorse. "My dear girl… I must apologize. It was my fault. I have realized… that this school is where I truly belong and where I will remain from this point forward. No more will I be tempted to involve myself in political affairs. I will keep a much closer watch on your well being Harry."
She nodded and muttered her thanks before a question popped into her head. "Professor Dumbledore… do you know why I could see into Quirrell's mind? Why I had the vision?
"Alas Harry to that question, I cannot fathom the answer. I can only theorize and speculate." Dumbledore scratched his thickly bearded chin and continued, "Perhaps you are mentally linked to Voldemort; perhaps in your augmented state you broke into his mind or perhaps Voldemort broke into yours; perhaps you are a seer; perhaps fate is sending you warning signs. I do not say this often, but I really have no idea. When your mother sacrificed her own life to save yours, a most mysterious and powerful magic was forged between you both. Your mother's love for you saved you from death, but we still do not truly know what magics occurred that night; what occurred when death met love."
"And Sir… Lavender-"
Dumbledore sat back and waved her off. "I will have words with her Harry, you did the right thing."
Harry's mind was buzzing with questions. "And the Stone… why couldn't it just be put back into the mirror? Quirrell couldn't get at it could he? Nicholas… he… he deserved to live."
Dumbled sighed and said wearily, "I did what I had to do to protect this school… this world. The enchantments I placed on the Mirror throughout the year were mere tricks; extensions of its secret. Do you remember what I told you as we sat before it? Those who do not understand the secret, will never understand its images. Voldemort saw into your mind Harry; saw the secret of the Mirror." Dumbledore raised his wand and wrote in the air as if he was chalking on a board.
Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi.
Ecna lig ivoteri fym evigi.
Eci rava ot tont surt.
Suo utri veht ot edec.
With a flourish of his wand, the letters rearranged themselves.
I show not your face but your heart's desire.
I give my fire to vigilance.
Trust not to avarice.
Cede to the virtuous.
"So you see Harry, knowing the secret, Voldemort would be able to unravel my enchantments on a whim. The Mirror of Erised was no longer a safe place for the Stone."
"So it's… it's my fault that-"
Dumbledore chuckled and quickly cut her off. "Of course not, dear girl. Long have I tried to convince Nicholas to pass on. Tonight… I made the choice for him. You may call me a monster if you wish, but death is not to be feared. Nicholas knew this more than any. You heard from his own mouth that he cared not about living, but was afraid of what waited for him beyond death.
Harry sat in silence trying to absorb it all.
Dumbledore got up and walked over to the candies, browsing the selection, muttering something about passwords. "Ohhh yes. Quite the horde you have here Harry. Do you mind?" he asked, gesturing to a package of Bertie Bott's.
"Help yourself sir."
Dumbledore brought the box back to the bed, pulling out a yellow bean. "Ah… a most intriguing cheese flavor," he said, chewing it slowly, holding out the box to Harry. She picked a red bean out and popped it in her mouth.
Strawberry.
A soft moan escaped her lips as the flavor flooded her senses, soothing her.
"Do you have any more questions for me Harry?"
She didn't swallow the jellybean, but rather, kept it under her tongue until it had dissolved completely. "Quite a few sir, but… I'm a bit…"
"Exhausted? Yes, I quite understand. You have known more pain, fear, and heartache tonight, than what many experience in an entire lifetime. It is time… for a well deserved rest. We will find answers to your questions another day. My office door is always open... and I mean that quiet literally. My gargoyle has taken quite a liking to you. He has been in a foul mood ever since our daily sessions ended." Dumbledore smiled, stood, and with a little pat on her hand, swiftly left the Hospital Wing.
The next morning, she awoke to a familiar shag of red hair and twinkling crystal blue eyes; eyes she had thought she would never see open again.
She raised a hand, wincing with the pain, and Ron clasped it tightly within his own palms. "Hey Harry."
"Ron… I can't believe you're… I had thought…" Harry closed her eyes, his blood soaked forehead flashing across her mind. "I thought I lost you.
"Nah, look… just a bump on the head. Can't get rid of me that easily, can you? Weasleys are only allowed to go out in a blaze of glory, not playing a wonky game of chess." He joked, but she saw the emotion right under the surface.
Harry reached up and pulled him down for a hug. "Ron… don't you ever do anything like that to me again," Nuzzling into his neck she added, "Or I'll tell your mum."
"Oi! Weasleys don't tattle!" Ron cried in mock outrage.
Harry grinned. "Not a Weasley."
He gave her hair a good ruffling and it all fell into her face. "Yeah you are."
0000
0000
0000
0000
Move faster train!
Ginny sat quietly on a bench, a small bag of banana sandwiches in her lap, staring intently into each compartment as the scarlet engine inched further into the station. She picked nervously at the hem of her yellow sundress. This morning, for some unexplained reason, she had felt she had to look her best.
A week ago, Mum had told her that Harry had been severely injured and was recovering in the hospital wing, but didn't bother to tell her how, or why, or where. She knew next to nothing. Ron had sent her the last letter Harry had written on the day of her injury. Ginny had memorized it by heart.
Dear Gin,
Soon we get to see each other again. Just one more week. And then a few more weeks after that, we get to spend an entire year together! I want to explain why my letters have been so short, but I can't, not on paper. I need you to be there with me when I talk about it. So this summer I will. I made a promise. One secret only. Exams went well. I think Ron did better than I did in bloody History of Magic. I was just staring through Professor Bins for half the exam. Hope you're not doing too many chores.
I miss you,
Harry
In the last six weeks or so, she hadn't really gleamed anything at all about what Harry was up to, and when that letter came, a thousand worse case scenarios played out in her head. She found a loose thread in the hem and twirled it between her fingers.
Ginny's heart flipped when she found them at the very back of the train. Hermione, Ron, that boy 'Nev,' and Harry were all chatting and laughing in their small compartment. Their mouths moved but she heard nothing with the window between them. The Hogwart's Express slowed to a stop with a huge burst of purple steam. The four stood, gathering up their belongings, and exited the compartment to haul out their trunks
Ginny stood, calmly watching her from across the platform. Harry's shiny raven black hair, gleaming in the sunlight, was pulled back into a low ponytail that dangled in a wild mess over her shoulder; long bangs hanging every-which-way. Her still perfectly pearl white dress, with the little sash of black lace, swirled about her knees in a flurry.
As Harry turned to say goodbye to Nev, Ginny shivered. Her eyes had changed since she had last seen her. They were darker, harder… fiercer.
After goodbyes, the round faced boy was pulled away by a very stern looking old woman. Harry, Hermione, and Ron remained by their compartment, not yet seeking their families. The three stood close, so close that they almost seemed… attached.
Harry was hugging Hermione when her dark emerald gaze met Ginny's amber. It was as if a veil had suddenly been lifted. Ginny saw the hardened look disappear; saw her face soften, pink lips parting slightly as she drew a sharp intake of breath.
Ron's goodbye was longer… much, much longer. They talked quietly, leaning against the train, occasionally bursting out in fits of laughter that carried all the way to her ears. Not even Ron's loud tenor could stop Harry's soprano tinkle from reaching her. She felt so warm when Harry laughed. A few weeks ago, she asked her mum if she had felt the same way when she heard it. Mum had hugged her and nodded saying, "the laughter and smiles of people who've had a hard life does that."
After they had hugged tightly, Ron walked over to mum and dad, where he was instantly pulled into tight hugs and fussed over severely.
The next thing she knew, hands were sliding around her waist and up her back, a body was melding with her own, and soft hair was tickling her cheek. The faintest scent of sweet smelling broomstick polish drifted past her nose.
Harry's lips tickled her ear as she moaned out in a dulcet tone, "Oh Gin… I can't even describe… I missed you so much."
Ginny threw her arms behind Harry's neck and squeezed her tight, lips and chin resting on the girl's bared collarbone. "Harry, I… me too.Don't… don't go back with the muggles. Just… please come with us. I need you to come with us. You just can't go back to that place."
"I have to Gin," Harry said, slowly pulling back to lean her forehead against hers. She took one of Ginny's hands off her shoulder and put their wrists together. The charms clinked softly, spinning to meet in midair. "But look… we're always around each other, yeah?"
Ginny pulled away and was about to agree when she saw the large red burn on the underside of Harry's chin. "Oh Harry! What happened?"
"What this old thing?" she asked jokingly, rubbing at it with a finger. "Just a little… temporary souvenir from the worst day ever."
Ginny brushed her fingers across it and Harry closed her eyes. "Does it hurt?"
"Nope. Madame Pomfrey said magic burns can be healed easily, but the magic kind of soaks into your skin and leaves the mark… or something. It'll be gone in a few weeks."
Ginny took her hand, picked up the bag of sandwiches, and dragged her back to pick up her trunk. "Did it happen last week? When you got hurt?"
Harry's brow furrowed in frustration. "Look I promise… I'll tell you about everything when I come over. If you're desperate and have to know Ron can tell most of it. But I'd really like it if I could be the one that explains it all."
Ginny picked up Circe's cage and put it on Harry's cart. "I can wait. Although… Ron will probably blab about it anyway."
Harry giggled and said fondly, "yeah… he probably will. Knowing Ron, you'll know all about it by the time you-" She froze, gaze fixated on a spot behind Ginny. "Oh no… they're here… the Dursleys."
Ginny spun around to find herself staring at a rather odd looking family of three standing over on Platform Ten. There was an enormously rotund man with blonde hair and a large handlebar mustache. He was looking around as if he was embarrassed to be there. The boy next to him was the man in miniature without the mustache. Ginny thought they looked a bit like a pair of Russian nesting dolls.
Clutching the man's arm was a tall rail-thin woman that had her blonde hair up in what had to be an uncomfortably tight beehive-bun. Her neck was rather long and her skin rather pale. She noticed that her small nose, and full lips were exactly the same shape as Harry's. Ginny supposed she would have been somewhat attractive for an older middle aged woman, had it not been for the disdainful look on her face that twisted her visage into something horse like.
"Harry… I don't want you to go."
"I don't want to go either."
"I want you to stay!"
"I want to stay too."
"But you can't?"
"Nope."
Ginny sighed and dragged her over to the rest of the Weasleys, where they all exchanged final farewells with Harry. Ginny handed her the bag of 'Monkey Candy.' "I made these for you Harry… all by myself. They're for the ride back to Surrey."
Her mum smiled and patted her on the back of the head. "Yes…she almost blew up the kitchen as she did it too."
Ginny shooed her hand away. "Muuum. Leave off."
Harry hugged her tight once more and pecked a light kiss onto her cheek. "Thanks Gin… oh they smell divine. I'll write whenever I can. Bye."
"Bye, Harry. See you in two months."
Harry squeezed Ginny's hand, punched Ron in the arm, and walked through the barrier. Ginny saw her reappear on Platform Nine and she walked slowly over to the Dursleys, pushing her cart, looking miserable. The Dursleys didn't seem too happy to see her, either.
She couldn't hear the heated conversation that passed between them. But it ended with her uncle grabbing the little brown bag out of Harry's hands, promptly throwing it into the nearest bin. She saw Harry cry out as she ran after the bag, but the large man roughly grabbed her arm and pulled her toward the exit.
The entire family had seen the exchange. She took her father's large hand in her small one and leaned against him for support. "Dad… why… why do they treat her like that?"
His father frowned after the muggles. "I don't rightly know GinBug. "I'll never understand why Dumbledore put her with them. We offered to take her in after the attack. While he did want to give her to us, he said it was necessary for Harry to live with the Dursleys. Perhaps, in a different life, she could have been your sister."
Ginny tried to imagine a life with Harry as her sister. It wouldn't be all that different from the way things are right now.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Check out my profile for a link to this story's Fan-Art page. Contains some NSFW content.
CoS ahoy!
Review!
Looking for a beta reader-grammar specific
Yes harry letting slip to Ginny in the tub about 'what alice said' was indeed... on purpose : )
I made Quirrell the way he is because 1) we don't know anything about his true self in the books and 2) I wanted to show the really horrible things even the simplest magic could be used for. A body bind… a silencing charm… and you have a helpless victim at your feet.
Conjuring is a broadly used term in the books as the act of creating objects by picturing them in your mind. They conjur chairs, stools, teacups, all sorts of crap. I made up "apparo," since everyone does it wandlessly. Harry's mind is extremely adept, thus her natural skill with both conjuring and mind magic.