Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Butterfly Effect ❯ Chapter 8: The Book from No One ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Thanks for all the reviews! As a reward I went back to the prologue and added a little bit of sexy.
People are asking, "will Harry and Ginny hook up soon?"
This is the summer of 1992. Harry just turned 12. Ginny turns 12 in November. Have you ever seen two closet-bisexual 12 year old girls that are madly in love with each other?
They're essentially in the second year of secondary school. (7th grade US) They're fresh from the years of drawing hearts around names in Marble notebooks; fresh from the years of Tinkerbell, She-Ra, and My Little Ponies memorabilia; just starting to venture into the land of first kisses, braces, acne, and diddling oneself. Don't rush the wonders of puberty. It'll bite you in the tuckus.
(they are both bisexual yes. That's how I pictured my Harry in the first place, and Ginny is attracted to Michael Corner, Dean, and Harry in Canon. Harriet existing wouldn't suddenly make that attraction to men disappear. They'll both have experiences without each other and with the opposite sex.)
All deviation from canon is linked to Harry. Things won't be changed for changes sake.
Chapter 8: The Book from No One
There was a sound like a gigantic bonfire burning all of Time, all the years and all the parchment calendars, all the hours piled high and set aflame.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Luna opened the set of wooden drawers and ran her hand over the soft fabrics, remembering…
This was unbearable. Curiosity getting the better of her, Luna turned the door handle and pushed, peeking in through the crack to watch her mother work. Her breath caught in her chest as she beheld the contents of the almost always closed workroom
Hovering in the center of the room was a swirling spiraling rune of multicolored light. Her mother stood on its far side, pouring spells into its center. Oddly… the rune was absorbing each one.
Luna couldn't look away. It was fascinating... mesmerizing. Her mother seemed to think so as well, for her eyes were alight with glee. After several minutes of casting, she halted, wand hovering over the center of the spirals. She bit her lip… Luna could tell she was on the verge of something; she was hesitating… arguing with herself.
But something changed in her mother's visage, something that twisted her hesitation into determination. She muttered a spell that Luna couldn't hear. There was a flash of green light.
The rune swelled and distorted violently. Her mother's determined look faltered in dismay. Their eyes met from across the room as the light of the rune, now a violent green, shot up her mother's arm.
A loud scream, violently cut short, echoed into Luna's ears. Something wet splattered across her face through the crack in the door.
"We do miss you, Mummy. Daddy is very unhappy. He doesn't eat his Plimpy stew. He's especially bad today because it's your anniversary." Luna glanced at the picture of the beautiful blonde on the dresser and said to her fondly, "I'm… I'm alright though… I know you're here with me."
She dug around in the messy drawer curiously and gasped when she found a lacy, blue, see-through bustier and a decidedly racy pair of matching knickers and garters. Luna cocked her head, trying to imagine her mother wearing something so… obviously not for daily wear.
In another moment of impulsive curiosity, she took off her own clothes, slid the lingerie on, attached the garter stockings, and stepped in front of the full length mirror. The undergarments hung off her thin frame but Luna liked them; the silk brushed against her skin in a most exhilarating manner. "That's interesting. I feel older…" Turning sideways, she ran a hand over the corset's cups… cups that she wasn't even close to filling. "I feel like I'm you… just less pretty. I wonder… do you think I'll be pretty?"
Luna walked back to the drawer and pulled out a Ravenclaw blouse, slipping it on overtop the corset. It was wonderfully soft, albeit several times too large, resting on her chest like a potato sack. "Wrackspurts have made your shirt their nest for the summer season, Mummy. It's much softer than I remember." She could still smell her mother's perfume on the collar. "You know, I find your scent often around the house. You did always smell so nice. Pine … with a dash of hazelnut… a bit like broom polish."
The Ravenclaw skirt unfortunately wouldn't stay on her hips. She pulled out one of her mother's ties and wrapped it tightly around her waist to keep the skirt up. "Hmmmm something's missing," she said, once she was back in front of the mirror.
Luna poured through each drawer… looking for that little something that would make Daddy smile when he saw her. She found it amongst the jewelry… her mother's necklace and favorite pair of earrings. "Oh yes," she said, slipping the hooks through the holes in her ears, "that looks wonderful." The butterbeer corks and the little radishes made the whole thing just perfect. It would surely cheer him up.
"Daddy!" She trooped down the circular staircase into their living room where her father was writing an extremely groundbreaking article about Gernumbly venom. "Daddy, look! I'm Mummy."
Daddy turned around slowly.
Daddy didn't laugh.
Daddy didn't smile.
Daddy's eyes didn't twinkle like they used to.
Daddy was… blank.
"Take that off Luna," he said wearily, returning to his writing.
Luna frowned. "But Mummy didn't mind that I'm wearing-
He cut her off sharply, quill scratching furiously across the page. "Of course she didn't mind… she's gone you silly child! She's dead. Stop trying to bring her back." Her father didn't raise his eyes as he said it, which hurt Luna all the more.
Standing abruptly, he quickly gathered up his papers while she whispered under her breath, "Mummy isn't gone, Daddy… she's with us wherever-"
He left the room, slamming the door of his study behind him.
"…we go." Luna sighed heavily and picked up her Plimpy stick. The sky through the window was bright and cloudless. "It's an excellent day for plimping, Mummy. Daddy doesn't like to come with me anymore because your song makes him cry."
She walked out of the house and across the rolling fields towards the forest that concealed her favorite stream. Just beyond the forest lay the Weasley's home. "Perhaps I'll visit with Ginny. She's very pretty, isn't she Mummy? I like the way her hair sparkles in the sun. You know, her brothers are quite pretty as well… especially Ronald." Ginny's smiling face swam before her eyes. "I do like her very much… I think she might even be my friend. Do you think she might kiss me soon?" Luna reached the stream bank and unhooked her garters, rolling them up to stuff into her skirt pocket. She jumped into the water with a great splash, trilling loudly to ward off any Kelpies.
When Luna reached the deepest part of the stream, she sang at the perfect off-key pitch to lure the plimpies out from their mud-palaces. "OH A PLIMPY ONE OR TWO OR THREE, A PLIMPY I WOULD LIKE TO SEE. A PLIMPY SMALL AND LIGHTNING QUICK; I'LL CATCH A PLIMPY WITH MY STICK!"
Luna saw a movement out of the corner of her eye and she slapped her stick down in the water. "Yes!" The little round fish struggled to free its long stringy legs from beneath the wood. She picked up her catch proudly. "Oh my… this one is excellent. A fine…" There was a large brown spot on the underside of the plimpy's belly. "Drat. It has babies."
Luna released the fish into the strong current and resumed her song as she trudged through the water. "OHHHH A PLIMPY IS SLIPPERY AND OFTEN WET; YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ONE WITH THAT NET! A PLIMPY STEW IS MILD AND SWEET; A PLIMPY STEW JUST CAN'T BE BEAT!
She rounded a bend in the stream, closed her eyes, and embraced the joys of plimping. "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH A PLIMPY ONE OR TWO OR THREE, PLIMPIES COME AND PLAY WITH ME. SO RAISE YOUR STICK AND SING ALONG TO MY SPIFFY PLIMPY CAAAATCHIIIIIING SOOOOOOOOOOOONNNG!
As Luna finished the final verse, hands raised in celebration, she heard a tinkling giggle over the babble of the water. It sounded very much like the wind-chime that hung outside her bedroom window. Perhaps I am still in bed. Opening her eyes, she found the tinkling's source… and gasped.
Lounging on the rock where she often found Ginny, was the most breathtaking girl Luna had ever seen. Her long messy jet black hair fell into her face. Her raven locks rolled in waves over her shoulders, sticking up in several odd places, blowing about in the soft breeze. She wore a red one-piece bathing suit that accentuated what little curve she had most effectively. Her body was athletic, toned, rippling with catlike muscle, not visible until she moved; her skin was a tan cream color and completely unblemished. Her eyes were…well, she would never forget that color. They were exactly the same shade as the last spell Mummy had cast before she died. The girl cocked her head, smiling widely, and as Luna looked at those very full… very pink lips… she felt… odd… warm… tingling.
The girl didn't seem mortal. There was an odd glow about her; a glow that didn't belong in this world. She was… beyond life. She was ethereal… and irresistible. Luna bowed low, awed to be in the presence of a real goddess. Her voice quavered when she spoke, "It is an honor to meet your acquaintance, Goddess. I am sorry to disturb you with my song. It is required for plimping." She darted her stick into the water, picked up the freshly caught plimpy, and held it out in offering to the deity. "For you, Goddess."
The Goddess reached out, took the fish gingerly by its foot, and with a laugh, said to Luna, "This thing is intriguingly slimy… and why are you calling me Goddess?" The Goddess' voice was soothing and smooth, very much like the piano music Mummy so liked to listen to. She handed the fish back to Luna, who frowned sadly as her offering was rejected.
"Surely you know Goddess." She dropped the plimpy back into the water. "One must address the Gods with the proper respect or they will smite your houses with their terrible wrath. I'm very sorry my offering doesn't please you."
The Goddess spluttered. "I'm…wait… what? I'm not a goddess."
Not a goddess? How odd... "Are you a water nymph?" Surely she was at least a water nymph.
"Um…no…" the not-a-goddess-or-nymph said shortly.
Luna backed away, brandishing her stick at the… thing. "You're a kelpie aren't you? ULULULULULULUU!" But her kelpie trill didn't scare the not-a-kelpie away. "What are you? Are you a new species of magical creature? Oh… Daddy will be so excited!"
"What are you talking… no! I'm just… I'm a girl!" yelled the girl in complete and utter confusion.
"A girl... you mean a human?" asked Luna in shock. "You're far too beautiful to be a human," she said matter-of-factly. The girl's lips parted in a little gasp. Luna wanted to touch her very much; to bask in her glow. "And you're glowing. Are you perhaps a Veela? Although… no… that seems unlikely… I've never heard of a Veela that glows."
The girl held up her hands to her face, turning them over in front of her terribly green eyes. "I'm not glowing," she said pointedly.
"Oh but you are! It's all around you. I can see it plain as day. It's certainly not of this world." Curious, Luna jumped up onto the rock and sniffed at the gorgeous black haired girl. She smelled strongly of pine… and hazelnut. Broom polish. Mummy's smell… "Oh my… are you… Mummy… is… is that you? Have you come back to us from the dead?" Luna asked hopefully, brushing a hand against her mother's cheek.
"I'm Harry!" said Mummy in exasperation.
"You don't seem very hairy to me," Luna said, trailing her raised hand down Mummy's collarbone. "Quite hairless in fact… except for your gorgeous head of hair… is that what you meant?" Mummy shuddered as Luna's finger reached the tip of the bone.
"I mean my name is Harry… Harriet Potter." Harriet Potter's beautiful eyes searched her face. "Back from the dead… what did you mean when… can you really see an otherworldly glow on me?"
"Oh yes, Harriet. It's… wrong… somehow. It's rather alluring you know. I find myself wanting to touch you very much."
Harriet blushed and said softly, "oh that's… well… I think I… I think I understand what you mean then… about the glow. I wonder why only you see it…" She fiddled with the straps of her bathing suit. "What's your name then?"
Luna felt very silly. "Oh my… I did forget to introduce myself didn't I? I thought you were a Goddess, you see."
"Erm… yes… I noticed," Harriet said, staring at her strangely.
"Well, my name is Luna Laurelia Louisa Lovegood. It's very nice to meet you Harriet."
"It's just Harry actually." Harry waved her hand dismissively. "Harriet is a bit too… stuffy."
Luna nodded. "To each their own… although, I find Harriet to be a very nice name. It rolls off the tip of my tongue pleasantly. Harriet. Haaaaaaaarriet. Harriiiiiiiet. Yes… quite nice. Do you visit this rock often, Harry?"
Harry shook her head. "No I'm… I'm staying with my friends, Ron and Ginny.
Luna smiled at the rather interesting coincidence. "That's amazing isn't it? I know a girl named Ginny that lives just over that hill there. She too has a very good friend named Harry that sent her several letters. I read one. She was very nice and I thought I might've liked to kiss her."
"Oh erm… I think I'm the Harry you mean," she said nervously.
"Yes… that does make sense I suppose." To Luna, Harry instantly became several times more beautiful than she was already… if that were possible. Her eyes locked onto those full pink lips that were parted in a slight 'o.' "You know… you have very nice lips Harry. They look so soft… and… inviting."
"Um… that's… thank you?" The girl must have realized how close they were for she leaned back onto her elbows to create space. Luna followed her movement, never removing her gaze from the small mouth. She was entranced. Luna knelt between Harry's legs; their faces mere inches away.
She couldn't stop herself.
Leaning forward, she closed her eyes and captured the perfect lips with her own. Electricity shot down her spine; her brain exploded into mush; her nerves screamed out in joy. Oh yes… this is very nice. They're just as soft as they look.
Harry gasped against her mouth… but didn't pull away… which Luna greatly appreciated. The kiss was far too enjoyable to stop so suddenly.
Harry moaned, arching her back upwards. Luna leaned into the toned body and they fell back against the rock, lips still locked together. She liked how Harry's mouth bounced as her lips moved against it; she liked how their hips sat on top of each other; she liked the feel of Harry's skin rubbing against her own. She let her fingers slide up the girl's chest, tangling them into the silky raven hair at the back of her neck. Feeling like it was the proper thing to do; Luna opened her mouth to press her tongue against the tender lips, asking politely for entry.
That seemed to be the end of it though for the girl suddenly squealed, pushing on her shoulders.
Luna sat back, disappointed. Harry's eyes were wide with shock and her hand was touching her lips in disbelief. "What… what was that?" she asked breathlessly.
Luna shrugged. "It was a kiss… I think."
"Yes but… we… we can't kiss!"
Luna was very confused. "Oh... why not? I liked it very much and I'd like to do it again."
"We're… we're girls!" Harry cried indignantly. "Girls aren't supposed to… to kiss other girls like that!"
Really? "Oh my… I never knew that." Luna felt extremely guilty that she had broken the rules. "I'm terribly sorry. I shan't kiss you anymore, Harry."
The girl ogled her, still panting heavily.
"Luna!" cried a familiar voice to their left. Ginny sauntered over to them through the trees, carrying a large tray of sandwiches. She was wearing a fetching blue bathing suit. "Hullo! Nice earrings. How have you been?"
"Very well, thank you Ginny. Just yesterday I saw a whole nest of Kerbudgeons. I should be going though. I'm afraid I've upset Harry here. I kissed her on the mouth… and that's against the rules you see," Luna said. Guilt-ridden, she picked up her plimpy stick and rushed away from the pair, splashing back through the stream as quickly as she could.
Back in her room at the top of their tower, Luna explored the new and interesting warmth that seared between her legs. There was a spot that felt very nice to touch. Rubbing it vigorously, she felt a building tension, almost as if the spot was going to explode. When her mind drifted to Harry and the kiss they had shared, she shuddered in pleasure as her toes curled and spasms flooded her muscles violently.
"Oh my…" she said to her pillow after the twitches had subsided. "I do wish kissing her wasn't against the rules."
0000
0000
0000
0000
"We could go flying."
Harry thumped the back of her head on Ron's stomach and he grunted in protest. "Ron… we've flown four times today."
Smirking, Ron poked her in the temple. "So?"
"So we're tired!" Harry said exasperatedly, running her fingers through Ginny's hair. Blimey, I hope you're never the Quidditch Captain. You're more of a fanatic than Ollie."
"Why thank you," Ron said happily, laying back down into the lush grass, arms flopping to his sides.
Ginny laughed heartily causing Harry's belly to jiggle. "Don't give him compliments, Harry. His head is much too large as it is."
"Oi!" Ron tore away a fistful of grass and chucked it at her. The grass, of course, caught in the breeze and blew right into Harry's yawning mouth.
"Yeugh!" She spat out the dirt and grass, giving Ron another good head-thump on his stomach before settling back down into his T-Shirt. It depicted Marcus Bode, Captain of the Canons, spectacularly catching the snitch as he dangled from his broom. There was wide… speculation… that the photo was a fake.
They had been on the ground for the past half hour, trying to think of something to do, using each other's bodies as pillows. Save Ron. No pillow for Ron.
Ron… He looked more and more like Charlie every day. Harry would often catch herself staring slack-jawed at his broadening shoulders… after which she would blush down to her toes and mentally slap her brain repeatedly.
Harry breathed him in… breathed Ginny in… breathed the Burrow in. She let out a happy sigh as the summer sunshine caressed her skin.
I'm home.
Turning her head toward the garden, she fondly remembered the events of the previous night… It was the first night in her life that she truly felt she had a family.
/FLASHBACK/
The blindfold fell away and Harry gasped.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRY
The magnificent banner hovering over the long table was painted in Gryffindor colors, and would, much to the consternation of Mrs. Weasley, occasionally emit great bursts of 'Have a Bloody Good Birthday,' a song of Fred and George's own composition. Mr. Weasley had conjured his fairy lights for the party and they were flitting about in the air above them. The tables were sinking with the weight of the food, around which sat the Weasleys, Professor Dumbledore, Hagrid, Neville, and Hermione.
Dinner had been delicious. Harry told Mrs. Weasley this at least six times and was rewarded on each occasion with more helpings. She thought she might've eaten more than Ron… 'Might've' being the operative word.
The rest of the evening was spent laughing and joking... and bickering if your name happened to be Ron or Hermione. When Hermione arrived through the fireplace she had first made sure that Harry was completely recovered, and then immediately started in on Ron for not answering her letters.
Harry was only half listening to their current argument. It was better to just stay out of their little spats. When they got into it… well, it was a bit like a train leaving the station; slow at first, but building speed and ferocity as it chugged along. Anyone standing on the tracks when the train was at full speed would meet a brutal end.
"Honestly Ron, chew or you're going to choke!"
"Sto' `esterin muh `oman."
"I'm serious Ron, you'll hurt yourself."
He swallowed the very large bite of chicken. "Mione… let me eat in peace. Go read something."
Hermione swelled up like a balloon inflating.
Harry knew that wasn't going to end well and diverted her attention elsewhere around the table. A bonnet had somehow found its way onto the Headmaster's head as he entertained the twins by transfiguring their ears into those of different animals. Percy seemed scandalized that one of his mentors had the same sense of humor as his brothers. Charlie and Hagrid were having a very loud, very drunk conversation about dragon mating season. Alice sat next to her plate, humming loudly, occasionally stealing cherries from atop the candied yams. Bill regaled his mother with tales of the Nile and Egyptian Art. Mr. Weasley was dozing in his chair, hands folded, hat tipped down into his eyes. Neville was swatting at fairly lights that for some odd reason, were sticking to him fiercely… even more so than they did to Ginny, who at the moment looked like her head was on fire.
Their eyes met and Harry tried to mentally convey to her just how happy she was. Ginny smiled and nodded, pulling her down the bench for a hug. Quietly enough so only Ginny could hear, she whispered contently, "I love this… and all of you,"
Ginny swung a leg over the bench and slid forward so that Harry's back was up against her chest. "We love you too," she replied softly, snaking an arm around her waist. "Weasleys love each other unconditionally."
Harry sighed and sank back into the embrace, but Ginny shook her head. "No time for snuggling, Harry. Time for cake… and presents!" Her eyes were bright with rabid excitement.
"Wait," Harry pleaded. "Just… Gin can you just… hold me for a second? I'm… I'm positive that I'm going to start crying when all of this sinks in."
The redhead's bounces tapered off and she sank her chin down upon Harry's shoulder. "Oh… Harry…" Ginny stood and announced to the table, "back in a mo'…" She grabbed Harry's hand and dragged her into the house, climbing the steps to their room.
Ginny's room… not our room.
Ginny leapt onto the bed, bouncing twice before flopping down into the covers. She held out a hand. Harry ran across the deep carpet and jumped, landing on Ginny with a great BOING of the mattress springs. They curled up.
It had been five days before Harry was cleared to leave the hospital. Ginny spent every one of those nights holding her just like this; spooned against her back with an arm wrapped tightly around her tummy. Harry would wake up in the mornings with the taste of strawberries fresh on her tongue, skin still tingling from the waves of pleasure that pulsed from her sex all through the night.
She was a little ashamed that her magic made her react like this… but… she had to admit… she liked it. She liked it not only because it made her body feel good, but because it made her heart feel good. Despite everything that had happened, knowing that she had people that she completely trusted with the wellbeing of her mind and her body… made her feel better than she ever had in her life.
Harry sniffled softly.
Ginny nosed at the back of her neck. Shaking Harry's hips lightly, she whispered in a cajoling voice, "What's wrong?"
"Nothing's wrong. I just…" Harry grabbed Ginny's hand and placed it over her heart. "This is my first Birthday party… I'm happy."
Ginny giggled and draped her knee around Harry's thigh. "One…"
Harry didn't quite know what that meant until lips pressed softly on her shoulder. "Two." Again. "Three." Ginny proceeded all the way up to twelve and then squeezed her tightly.
Wiping her eyes, Harry muttered into the pillow, "You're… you're so good to me, Gin. You're all so good to me. He told me… they… they told me I deserved what I got."
"No! Harry, they didn't deserve you," Ginny said obstinately, pulling Harry's hair back from her neck so they could look one another in the eyes.
"I'm just not used to it," she said with a little shrug.
"Yeah… well you'd better get used to it! My pillow has gotten all soggy this past year from the waterworks we've been putting it through." Ginny rolled Harry over onto her back and brushed a finger across her forehead, tracing her scar lightly. "Besides… you're good to me, Harry. How would it be fair if I wasn't just as good to you?" Ginny plopped her chin down onto Harry's chest and fiddled with the neckline of the once again pearl-white dress. "You're my best friend and I love you. We all do."
That was the third time Ginny had said it. To not have the words said once in her entire lifetime... it just felt so odd to hear them now… wonderful… yet odd. Harry stroked a thumb across her shoulder. "Shall we go eat cake?"
"Yes Harry… I think we shall." Ginny bounced up, grinning widely. "Right," she said, beckoning with her arms open, "come on you!
Harry stood and leapt off the bed, right into her arms, wrapping her legs around the redhead. She giggled maniacally as Ginny stumbled around trying to hold her weight. "Harry, I didn't bloody mean it like that!"
"Sorry…" she said happily. "I'm in a bit of a food coma. I think I had at least seven helpings of garlic potatoes."
"Mum loves you for that you know." Ginny put her down and pulled her back downstairs. "She just throws food away that we don't manage to get through if it sits around in the icebox for too long. But with you around… it's like she has three more children to feed. Problem solved."
"Yeah, well, I missed food," said Harry mulishly.
"Excuses…" Ginny poked her belly. "Piggy."
"Oi!" Harry cried, slapping her lightly on the bum.
"Don't you mean Oink Oink, Madam Piggykins?"
Ginny squealed as Harry dove at her and rushed out into the yard, laughing madly as Harry got up to give chase. She took refuge behind Mr. Weasley's chair, which Harry felt was quite against the rules of chasing. "Alright you two," Mr. Weasley said, amused. "Calm down and let's get to that cake."
It was brought out to a deafening and off-key rendition of song from the overhead banner. The cake Ginny and Mrs. Weasley had made was absolutely fantastic, even after five days under a preservation charm. The hourglass flipped when she took that first bite. Harry moaned involuntarily as the strawberry and chocolate mixed together in her mouth. Nothing this bad for you should be allowed to be this good.
"Present time!" shouted Ron once they had all finished. He grabbed her hand and pulled her over to the end of the table where several packages sat. Everyone clustered around her.
Ginny nuzzled her arm, entwining Harry's fingers with her own. "Happy Birthday. Just wait until you see mine!" Her amber eyes were bright with excitement. Some of it must've leeched onto Harry because within moments she was bouncing on the balls of her feet as Ron passed her the first gift.
She opened it. A small cactus sat in her hand. It was… staring up at her… with oversized pink puppy-dog eyes. Neville laughed at her gasp. "Yeah… that was my reaction too. I convinced my Uncle Algie to let me fiddle in his Greenhouse… and two days later about thirty of these little guys had sprung up. No idea what I did though. My uncle was right chuffed he was. Said we should breed them and make a fortune selling them to the potions and pet shops. Got about two hundred growing right now… all different eye colors. All you gotta do is keep them in the sun. Don't even have to water them."
The cactus winked at her. "Wow Neville… this is bloody amazing!" Mrs. Weasley tutted loudly. Harry grinned guiltily… and yet… she felt pleased that she had someone to 'tut' at her. She nudged Ginny. "What should I name it?"
"Frances," said Ginny with absolutely no hesitation.
"Frances?" asked Ron with a laugh.
Ginny nodded finitely. "Yes… Frances. It looks like a Frances."
"Frances it is," said Harry. She rubbed the top of its un-needled… head? Frances squinted in what Harry hoped to be happiness.
Hermione gave her three books on mind magic, one theory, and two practical. The Infinite Mind by Miranda Featherworth, A Beginner's Guide to Occlumency by Thaddius Shmelk, and Legilimency: The Grey Art by… she looked up at Professor Dumbledore questioningly. Eyes crinkling under half-moon spectacles, he smiled at her and said with a pointed wheeze, "Yes my dear, it may surprise you due to my sprightly and youthful appearance… but I have been around long enough to write a book or two."
Fred and George gave her a potion that would turn her hair Weasley red for a whole week… So they say… The identical Cheshire-cat grins they wore on their faces as Ron handed it to her made her very nervous. She brought it to her lips, watching them out of the corner of her eyes. Their grins widened and they leaned forward intently. Harry promptly put the stopper back on the vial and said to their disappointed faces, "Nice try, boys."
"Oh come on Harry, give it a go! We-"
"don't think it will hurt… much."
Mrs. Weasley reached over and smacked them both on the top of their heads.
Hagrid gave her a nice blue overcoat. It looked quite a lot like the moleskin one he currently wore, but it was made out of cloth, had fewer pockets, and flared outward at the hips, ending on the ground rather than the middle of her thighs as it would on a woman of say… Professor McGonagall's height. It was large… but she'd grow into it… hopefully. "Everyone needs a good coat `Arry, yeh mark my words. I got this one off a nice peddler chap that owed me a favor."
Ron gave her every chocolate frog card that he had more than one of… which was every card in his collection. Throughout the year he had continuously grumbled to her that he always got the same ones. Hermione would remind him every time, that only ten wizards in the country had a full collection and that Ron himself was only seven cards short. She would then remind him to stop eating so many chocolate frogs.
Surprisingly, Professor Dumbledore gave her a gift as well. He handed her a little blood-red flower with a black stem. It was cool and hard, heavy like metal, but it swayed in the breeze, just like a real flower. It reminded her of the statue of Peter and Tink; how their bronze hair blew in the wind.
"Professor Dumbledore sir… it's beautiful but… why-"
He cut her off with a sad smile, placing a wrinkled hand on her shoulder. "I do not normally give gifts to my students, Harry. It won't become a regular occurrence. Think of this daisy as… an apology of sorts."
"Professor… you… you don't have anything to apologize for."
He spoke in a normal voice but she had an odd feeling that only the two of them were privy to this conversation. "Oh Harry… if you only knew how many things I need to apologize for… perhaps you would not be so forgiving. Please, accept this gift. It is from both I and a very old friend of mine. He wishes you the best of luck in your endeavors." The headmaster squeezed her shoulder lightly, and Harry thought she knew who Dumbledore was speaking of.
"He… he found his way then?" she asked, brushing her fingertips across the small petals of the flower.
"Yes," Dumbledore replied simply.
Harry nodded and smiled. "Thank you sir. It really is beautiful."
Ginny slid her arms around Harry's waist from behind. "My turn." She pointed through the gaps in Harry's arms at the larger of the last two presents on the table. It was a hat box.
"Is it a hat?" Harry asked her curiously.
"Yes," said Ginny shortly.
"Really?"
"No." Ginny pushed her toward the box and sank her chin down on Harry's shoulder. "Open it."
Harry lifted the lid and pulled away the tissue paper.
"Oh!" Harry lifted the dress from the box. "Merlin… Gin, this is gorgeous. Where did you buy it?"
Ginny nuzzled her shoulder. "I made it with Mum."
Harry gasped, running her hands down the smooth light green cloth and the dark lacy stripe in its middle. "You… you made it?"
"Yeah. So you… you like it?"
Harry nodded vigorously. "Can I put it on?"
Ginny laughed. "It's yours isn't it? Let's open the last one first though."
Mrs. Weasley picked up the rather small package and mothered at Harry's hair before saying quietly, "This is from all of us Harry."
Harry unwrapped it slowly, carefully, so as to not to damage whatever was inside. The Weasleys were all holding their breath. Harry pulled from the wrapping… a spiky black something with a hole at the bottom. She didn't understand.
Ginny squeezed her belly and whispered, "Flip it."
On the other side of the spiky object was her name… and her picture. Her knees wobbled and she whispered faintly, "for… for the clock?"
The family of redheads nodded all around her. Mrs. Weasley was tearing and she pulled Harry into a tight hug. "You should have been ours from the beginning dear. Now, you really are."
/END/
Harry sighed sleepily as she twirled Ginny's hair around her finger. I have a family… alive… here. Ginny nipped at her hand playfully.
"Thesse brown creaturess are mosst amussing to chasse Chica. You sshould join me."
Harry laughed. "Maybe later Alice."
Ron and Ginny jumped. Now that they knew and hadn't abandoned her, she sure as hell wasn't keeping being a Parselmouth secret anymore. Dumbledore had explained to all the Weasleys that it was Voldemort's power and not her own. Mrs. Weasley had cooed and fussed over her misfortune, but Harry had already said that if there was one thing she liked about the bastard, it was this gift he had given her. She had a great friend because of it.
"Merlin… I know it's not… bad per se. But it's still creepy as all hell."
"Thanks Ron, love you too."
Ginny flipped over, resting her chin on Harry's waist. "So what does 'Folosscsseth efisssa ossass' mean?"
"It meant 'maybe later Alice.' She wants me to chase gnomes with her."
"At least Alice is coming up with ideas…" Sitting up with a start, Ron cried exuberantly, "Oh! Speaking of chasing… Snidget Hunt!"
Harry's head fell into his lap with a plop. "I thought they were all in protected reserves."
Ginny sighed exasperatedly. "Ron swears he saw one in the woods."
"I did!"
"From a distance," replied Ginny with a laugh.
"Well… yeah alright," Ron said begrudgingly. "But how many birds are round and gold?"
"Plenty, you twit."
"Oh shut it. You think of something Ginny."
"What about the stream," suggested Harry, "are there any deep bits? We could go… I dunno… splash around."
"I'd be up for that," said Ginny, sitting up onto her knees. "I have a suit you could use Harry."
"I'm not going in there!" Ron imitated a spider with his finger's and said disgustedly, "too many… crawly things. Come Snidget Hunting with me Harry."
"No!" Ginny moaned. "Let's go swimming, Harry."
"I will ssearch for brown creaturess," Alice hissed happily.
For some strange reason, Harry couldn't make up her mind. She wanted to do both. But some primal instinct was telling her that if she chose one… she wouldn't be doing the other. She looked up at Ron. She looked down at Ginny. Strawberries overpowered the grass. "I… come swimming with us Ron… please?"
A familiar expression flashed across his face. She had seen it before; on the night they had returned to Hogwarts from Christmas hols… when they were playing chess by the fire. Oh Ron... not again.
"Er… no I'll… I'll just go see what the twins are doing." Ron gently pushed her off his lap, got up, and walked back toward the house.
"I love him," said Ginny laughing, as soon as Ron was out of earshot, "but what a ninny… afraid of spiders. Honestly."
As the words rolled of her tongue, anger Harry had never felt for her best friend sparked violently. Whirling on her, Harry yelled, "Don't you bloody dare say that again Ginny!"
Ginny reeled back, face still half cracked in a smile, as if she thought Harry was joking. "Harry? What-"
"Ron is the bravest person I've ever known," she said fiercely. "A hundred times braver than the both of us put together. You've never had to… you've been sheltered! For you to… to insult him…" Harry trailed off fists clenching.
Amber eyes filled with angry tears. "I didn't- I'm sorry! I was just having a bloody laugh!" Ginny's mouth opened and closed… trying to say more. But it seemed like she couldn't… and so… she ran, cherry red hair flying behind her, crying into her hands.
Her heart flipped unpleasantly and Harry chased after her. Catching up at the strawberry patch, she threw her arms around Ginny's waist and they fell to ground. Trying to talk first would have just fanned the Weasley temper. "I'm sorry Gin," she whispered quickly, nuzzling her shoulder.
"Piss off," Ginny choked through her tears, turning her head away from Harry's.
"No… I won't. I'm sorry. I'm sorry times a thousand. I… I didn't mean to go off at you." She held Ginny tightly and planted a small kiss on her neck. "You just… you don't understand. I haven't told you what happened last year. What he's done for me… what he was willing to do… what he did do for all of us."
Ginny, still sniffling but anger seemingly dissipated, wrapped her arms around Harry's neck and muttered, "then… tell me tonight."
Harry nodded and wiped away the wetness on Ginny's cheeks. "I have to go talk to Ron. I'll meet you in your room." She rubbed her nose on Ginny's and sank into the hug. "Oh Gin… I'm so sorry," she whispered… just for good measure.
"It's okay…" Ginny touched her forehead to Harry's temple. "Now we're… we're square for what I did at the hospital."
"Completely square," Harry said with a grin. They got up and walked back to the house hand in hand, charms clinking together lightly.
At the top of the stairs that wound through the Burrow, in the messiest of all the rooms, she found him. Ron sat on his bed, petting Scabbers with that miserable look on his face. She closed the door with a soft click, stepped over a pile of laundry, and sat down next to him on the Chudley Canon's comforter. Harry put her head on his shoulder. "I'll go Snidget Hunting with you whenever you want Ron… even if it is illegal."
Ron snorted and pressed his nose into her hair. "It's not that."
"I know… Look, I'll tell you the same thing I said on hols. It's different, Ron. You know it is. You're my best mate. Ginny's my best friend.
"That doesn't even make sense," Ron replied exasperatedly. "They're the same thing!"
"No… Ron… they're… they're two equal parts of a whole; two parts of what I need; two parts of what I've never had until now. You don't really want to paint your toenails, talk about boys, and cuddle with me do you?"
"No I bloody well don't… but… you like her more than me Harry!"
"Oh Ron… you stupid… wonderful… prat. It's just different… as different as my right arm is from my left arm. Just… don't do this… it doesn't matter." Harry picked Scabbers up off the bed, set him on the table, and then straddled Ron's waist. "You're not getting up until you realize how ridiculous this jealousy is."
Ron turned away his gaze and said sadly, "You'll always choose her over me. I'll always be second."
"Bollocks," said Harry obstinately, pulling his chin back round to face her. "Sometimes I need you. Sometimes I need Ginny. Right now… after everything… I need her the most." She leaned down and kissed his cheek, letting her lips linger long after the time limit for 'a friendly peck' had expired, sending a little thrill up her spine.
Ron was blushing to the roots of his flaming orange hair, rubbing the spot where she had kissed him. "What was that for?"
Harry punched him in the arm… hard.
"Ouch! Bloody hell… what was that for?"
"You needed them both," Harry replied nonchalantly. "Now stop sulking and come swim with us."
"No I… I really don't like spiders Harry. They're everywhere down there. Water crawlers and… stuff." He shuddered. "I'll be here. You go."
Harry giggled. "So you'll protect me from You-Know-Who but not from spiders?
"Yeah… sounds about right," Ron said shrugging, still rubbing his arm. You know… you're scarily strong."
Harry flexed mockingly. "Make the Quidditch team in fourth year and you can be fit like me."
"Shut it. Go splash with bugs."
Harry kissed him again… right next to his lips. Giggling madly, she ran from the room, bolted down a flight of steps, and flung herself into Ginny's room.
Ginny was halfway into a blue two piece bathing suit. Freckles were everywhere. It always amazed her how many Ginny actually had. We should count them one day. Harry noticed that she did indeed have some strawberry curls in a little patch between her legs. Harry felt a flutter in her stomach, but she had no idea what it was from. Too much breakfast probably... Too many Kippurs at least. How many did I eat? Five?
"Harry," Ginny said, slipping into the bottoms, "can you tie me up?" She looked up, holding out her top. "Merlin…you're beet red! What did you two do?" When Harry didn't answer Ginny gasped and ran over to her, searching her face frantically. "Harry! Do you… do you like-like Ron?"
"What? No!" she said quickly. Ginny folded her arms and smirked knowingly. "Well… only… just a tiny bit," Harry mumbled in a very quiet voice.
Ginny squealed excitedly, jumping up and down on the spot. "You can get married! And have lots of babies! Little red-haired green-eyed babies! And we'll be sisters!"
Harry's face heated up and she grabbed Ginny's waist to stop her from bouncing. "Oh lay off… I think he likes… no… I know he likes Hermione. You've seen how they bicker. Like a married couple. And he has this fierce obsession with toffee apples. Hermione uses shampoo that smells just like them. I'm counting the days until they start snogging in the middle of Potions."
"Well… then it's obvious. You'll just have to snatch him first," Ginny said slyly.
Harry shook her head, tying up Ginny's top. "I well… it would be nice but I don't… I don't think I could do that to Hermione. I remember when they weren't even friends and she… she cried for hours when he… well… when he wasn't civil to her. She's obsessed with him. Everyone can see it… I've got a 5 galleon bet going with Seamus on when they both realize it."
"But I want green-eyed nieces and nephews Harry!" she whined playfully.
"Well… I could go for Charlie. What do you think?" Harry asked, waggling her eyebrows.
Ginny giggled. "You're not a dragon. He'd never pay you a moment's glance."
"Bill?"
"Has a serious thing for blondes," Ginny said, gesturing dismissively. She tossed Harry a red one-piece suit. "Put that on."
"Thanks. So… Fred and George?" she asked coyly."
Ginny laughed loudly. "And?"
Harry shrugged. "Whichever one isn't snogging Angelina in broom closets.
"Knowing the twins they're probably taking turns."
"How about good ol' Percy?"
Ginny shook her head. "Same problem as Charlie… you're not a textbook or a sheet of rules.
Harry sighed overdramatically, stripping and slipping into the slightly tight suit. She wrapped an arm around Ginny's belly, patting it. "Well… I happen to know you don't have any boy bits. So I think we're out of … Gin… what's that on your arm?"
Ginny held up her arms, flipping them over. "What's what on my arm?"
It was gone.
"I dunno," said Harry, examining a forearm closely. It looked like… the same one. "I saw a light on your arm."
"Oh yeah. Mum saw that too… at Christmas. They're just left over from Dad's fairies."
"Weird…" Harry muttered, slightly unconvinced.
"Come on, let's go." Ginny grabbed her hand and hauled her out of the house, all the way down to the stream.
There was a large rock on which they could sit and dangle their feet in the water. Harry jumped right into the knee deep stream. Ron was right. There were quite a lot of little water striders floating on surface tension. But they were tiny and rushed by quickly in the strong current. She took a big handful of water and threw it at Ginny, who was still testing the water with her toes. "It's fine you big twonk. Come in."
After an hour of splashing, Ginny sat down against the rock, submerged in water up to her chest. "I'm exhausted," she said weakly, beckoning to Harry for a hug.
Harry sat down between her legs and slid backwards into her body. Leaning her head into Ginny's shoulder, she let the water cradle her as she relaxed completely, flipping the hourglass to take everything in.
Harry knew what would happen… she was ashamed it would happen… but she did it anyway.
Ginny was brushing her fingers lightly over Harry's arm. Their hearts pounded together in unison. The thrashing currents of the water massaged her muscles. Ginny's breath cascaded over her shoulders in a strong wind. The scent of strawberry was intense… so intense. It made her skin tingle; made her legs weak; made her center pulse violently. Harry reached down into the water, slipped a finger under the red cloth, and dragged it across the nub. She gasped at the wave that shot through her body, electrifying her every muscle.
Ginny's other hand was resting on her stomach. Harry flipped her magic back before the urge to grab Ginny's hand and grind it against her sex became too strong. She really didn't think that would go down well.
Shuddering in pleasure, Harry sat up and pressed her nipples flat so Ginny wouldn't notice her… pointy-ness.
Ginny moaned, reaching for her, pulling her back into the embrace. She was either asleep or half-way there. Her red hair was floating in the water all around Harry, tickling her arms and neck. Ginny's legs wrapped around her waist and she sighed happily into Harry's neck.
'You'll always choose her over me. I'll always be second.'
Looking at Ginny now, feeling her and breathing her in… a teeny-tiny voice in her head agreed with Ron, suggesting that maybe those two parts of the whole weren't quite equal. Harry silenced that voice immediately, beating it to a pulp with her mental hammer.
Ginny woke up about a half an hour later when her stomach gave a mighty Ron-sized growl. "Let eat. I'm starved."
"Mmm me too."
"Mum made some cucumber sandwiches." Ginny untangled herself from Harry and stood up. "Stay here, I'll get them."
Harry clambered up onto the rock as she departed for the house, laying back to enjoy the sunshine.
She heard it echoing through the trees; the strangest and most tone-murdering song she had ever heard in her life.
"-PLIMPY IS SLIPPERY AND OFTEN WET; YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ONE WITH THAT NET! A PLIMPY STEW IS MILD AND SWEET; A PLIMPY STEW JUST CAN'T BE BEAT!"
Whoever was singing was splashing upstream, drawing ever closer to her.
"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH A PLIMPY ONE OR TWO OR THREE, PLIMPIES COME AND PLAY WITH ME. RAISE YOUR STICK AND SING ALONG TO MY SPIFFY PLIMPY CAAAATCHIIIIIING SOOOOOOOOOOOONNNG!"
During those last few extended and ear-splitting words, a girl came around the bend. She looked pretty… yet… odd. Her long scraggly dirty-blonde hair was as messy Harry's, perhaps more so done up in what could have been a bun but most likely wasn't. She was willowy and wore a Ravenclaw uniform that was obviously not her own. A Ravenclaw tie was wrapped tightly around her waist, securing her overly large skirt. The girl had on the oddest jewelry… radishes… real radishes hung from her ears and a necklace of bottle corks was draped around her neck.
Harry couldn't stop herself from giggling.
The girl looked up at her. She had blue eyes of a shade Harry couldn't really define. They were large and gave the impression that she was daydreaming. The girl bowed to Harry so low, her hair dipped into the water. Her voice, like her eyes, was dreamy. "It is an honor to meet your acquaintance, Goddess. I am sorry to disturb you with my song. It is required for plimping."
What?
The girl slammed the large stick she carried down into the water. She reached in and pulled out an odd looking green fish with long pencil thin… legs. "For you, Goddess."
Harry took it gingerly. It was disgusting to touch… and yet enjoyable at the same time. "This thing is intriguingly slimy… and why are you calling me Goddess?" Harry handed the fish back to her.
The girl's face fell. "Surely you know, Goddess?" She dropped the fish back into the water. "One must address the Gods with the proper respect or they will smite your houses with their terrible wrath. I'm very sorry my offering doesn't please you."
Harry spluttered in shock. "I'm… wait… what? I'm not a goddess."
"Are you a water nymph?"
"Um…no…"
The girl backed away, brandishing her stick. "You're a kelpie aren't you?" The girl opened her mouth and made a very odd guttural call.
Harry was so confused.
The girl looked at her with excitement. "What are you? Are you a new species of magical creature? Oh… Daddy will be so excited!"
A… a creature? "What are you talking… no! I'm just… I'm a girl!" Harry yelled exasperatedly.
"A girl... you mean a human?" asked the girl, cocking her head in appraisal. "You're far too beautiful to be a human," she said matter-of-factly."
Harry stared slack-jawed. She's a bit... blunt.
"And you're glowing. Are you perhaps a Veela? Although… no… that seems unlikely… I've never heard of a Veela that glows."
Harry held up her hands to her face, turning them over, searching for a glow. "I'm not glowing," she said pointedly.
"Oh but you are! It's all around you. I can see it plain as day. It's certainly not of this world." The girl jumped up on the rock and got… veryclose; close enough to sniff her hair.
Her vacant blue eyes widened hopefully."Oh my... are you... Mummy... is... is that you? Have you come back to us from the dead?" The strange girl touched her cheek. Harry was surprised she didn't flinch away... but this girl seemed so... innocent.
"I'm Harry!"
"You don't seem very hairy to me." The girl's hand ran down her cheek and onto her chest. Harry was still rather aroused from earlier and she gasped as the finger swirled around the tip of her collarbone. "Quite hairless in fact… except for your gorgeous head of hair… is that what you meant?"
"I mean my name is Harry... Harriet Potter." Have I come back from the dead... "Back from the dead... what did you mean when... can you really see an otherworldly glow on me?"
The girl nodded and said, "Oh yes, Harriet. It's... wrong... somehow. It's rather alluring you know. I find myself wanting to touch you very much."
Umm… Harry blushed and said softly, "Oh, that's… well… I think I… I think I understand what you mean then… about the glow. I wonder why only you see it…" It must have left a trace. She fiddled with the straps of her suit nervously. "What's your name then?"
"Oh my… I did forget to introduce myself didn't I? I thought you were a Goddess, you see."
Harry didn't quite know if this girl was serious or joking. "Erm… yes… I noticed."
"Well, my name is Luna Laurelia Louisa Lovegood. It's very nice to meet you Harriet."
"It's just Harry actually." Harry waved her hand dismissively. "Harriet is a bit too… stuffy."
Luna nodded. "To each their own… although, I find Harriet to be a very nice name. It rolls off the tip of my tongue pleasantly. Harriet. Haaaaaaaarriet. Harriiiiiiiet. Yes… quite nice. Do you visit this rock often, Harry?"
Harry shook her head. "No I'm… I'm staying with my friends, Ron and Ginny.
Luna smiled. She had very pleasant smile. "That's amazing isn't it? I know a girl named Ginny that lives just over that hill there. She too has a very good friend named Harry that sent her several letters. I read one. She was very nice and I thought I might've liked to kiss her."
Kiss me? "Oh erm… I think I'm the Harry you mean."
Luna cocked her head and stared at her… hungrily. "Yes… that does make sense I suppose. You know… you have very nice lips Harry. They look so soft… and… inviting."
Luna's face was inches away from her own. Harry leaned back hastily. "Um… that's… thank you?"
Before she could say anything more, before Harry could stop her, Luna Laurelia Louisa Lovegood leaned forward… and pressed her lips to Harry's.
She gasped.
It was…
It was…
It was… soft… nice.
Harry moaned, her back arching involuntarily as Luna's lips massaged her own. The girl leaned into her body, pushing her down to the rock, fingers sliding up her chest and tangling into her hair. Harry's brain was fuzzy.
A tongue slid across her bottom lip.
A tongue… A tongue… A GIRL'S TONGUE! Harry squealed, pushing on Luna's shoulders. The blonde girl sat back looking disappointed. Harry panted out heavily, "What… what was that?"
Luna shrugged. "It was a kiss… I think."
"Yes but… we… we can't kiss!" Can't we?
"Oh... why not? I liked it very much and I'd like to do it again."
"We're… we're girls!" Harry cried indignantly. "Girls aren't supposed to… to kiss other girls like that!" What about Dumbledore… he's… you know.
Luna seemed very distressed. "Oh my… I never knew that." Wringing her hands together, she said quietly, "I'm terribly sorry. I shan't kiss you anymore, Harry."
Well… alright then.
"Luna!" cried Ginny. She was trudging back toward them carrying the sandwiches. "Hullo! Nice earrings. How have you been?"
"Very well, thank you Ginny. Just yesterday I saw a whole nest of Kerbudgeons. I should be going though. I'm afraid I've upset Harry here. I kissed her on the mouth… and that's against the rules you see," Luna said, blue eyes cast on the ground. Without another word, the girl picked up her stick and darted away down the stream.
"She… she snogged you?" gasped Ginny.
"I… yeah." Harry caught her breath and ran a hand through her bangs. "She just… leaned forward and did it. I… I'm still a bit confused.
"Yeah… that sounds like Luna. Confusing. You just have to let most of the things she says go over your head." Ginny sat down, placed the sandwiches on the ground, and checked her over as a doctor would. As her diagnoses, she said flatly, "You snogged a girl."
"I didn't snog her! She kissed me!"
"Blimey Harry... What- what was it like?" asked Ginny fervently.
Harry had to think about it. "It… honestly… it was weird… but… a bit nice."
Ginny gazed at her in disbelief. "How can kissing a girl be nice?"
Harry shrugged. "I… I dunno. It… it just was. Boys like it don't they?"
Ginny nodded and said slowly, "Yeah but… didn't it feel wrong?"
It did… didn't it? "I… yeah… no. I don't know! I can't explain it Gin."
Ginny held out her hand. "Can you show me… on my hand… you know, kiss like she did?"
Harry laughed. "I… I wouldn't even know how."
Ginny scooted closer to her. "Try! I want to know what it's like."
Harry took her hand hesitantly. Ginny was giving her the blazing look and she, of course, gave in.
She nervously pressed her lips softly into Ginny's palm, eyes locking on to gold-flecked ambers. Ginny giggled as Harry moved them awkwardly against her skin, trying to imitate the movement of Luna's lips. It felt very strange to be kissing a hand.
Harry opened her mouth as Luna had done, closing her eyes. Strawberries bubbled on her tongue. The hourglass flipped and suddenly… Harry was… really kissing her hand. Ginny's giggles ended abruptly and Harry could hear the heartbeat in the redhead's chest quicken dramatically. Her own matched it. The taste of Ginny's skin was doing wonderful things to her body in her augmented state.
She had trailed passionate kisses halfway up Ginny's arm before the rational part of her brain realized what she was doing. Quickly dropping the arm, completely embarrassed, she flipped her magic back and muttered, "Sorry. I… I got carried away."
Ginny took her hand, squeezing it. "No, I asked you to do it, Harry. And you were right… it was a bit nice."
0000
0000
0000
0000
There was a sound of thunder.
Ginny awoke with a start as it shook the house. It was still quite dark and relatively quiet apart from the pitter-patter of fat raindrops falling on the roof and windows.
'Gin… Quirrell was… sick. In the forest… and by the Mirror... he touched me… touched here… and here… and he tortured me; bound me so I couldn't fight. I was helpless… and… and he was merciless.'
Just from thinking about it, she shivered and covered her intimate places with her hands.
'Voldemort's eyes… they were… so terrible. Slit like a cat's and… so… completely inhuman.'
She felt terrible too… for saying what she had said about Ron. She'd never be able to look at her brother the same way again. He was like some… mythical hero.
'Ron… he… he sacrificed himself to protect us... so we could get past the chess set. I thought he was dead. He almost was. I was so… so angry. That's where I got my burns. I ran through fire to get at the bastard that as good as killed him. I depend on Ron so much Gin… and Voldemort… took him from me. And even… even then I couldn't fight them. Quirrell just… just toyed with me.'
Ginny reached for Harry in the darkness, needing her comfort, needing her strength.
'I'm sorry I… couldn't write to you like before. I was such a mess. I'm still a mess.'
Harry wasn't with her under the covers. She dangled over the edge of her bed and felt around in the cot. It too was empty. "Harry?" she called out sleepily. No reply.
Ginny got out of bed, stuck her feet into a pair of white fuzzy slippers, and left the room. The stairs creaked loudly as she descended to the first floor. Ginny found her in the living room. She was curled up in an armchair with a cup of tea in her hands, staring blankly at the wall.
Ginny climbed into the chair with her. Latching on to the grey men's T-shirt Harry always wore to sleep in, she whispered, "Come back to bed Harry. I sleep better when you're with me. You don't want me to look all puffy tomorrow do you?"
Harry didn't respond to her joke but did at least acknowledge she had heard by nestling her head into the crook of Ginny's neck. They snuggled in silence, listening to Ron's snores echoing all the way down from the top floor. Even with the snores, the house seemed quieter than normal. The ghoul wasn't clanging; Fred and George weren't exploding anything; Charlie and Bill were back at their jobs; Mum and Dad were actually sleeping instead of… Yuck!
It was as if the house was reacting to Harry's mood. She fought You-Know-Who twice and lived… so who knows… maybe it is. The small clock on the mantle chimed four.
Ginny had to find a way to stop this. It was her basically her fault. "Harry… if I had known retelling it all would make you like this I wouldn't have asked. Please… be happy. They're both dead. You won. You avenged yourself yeah?"
When Harry spoke… her voice was tired… defeated. "Voldemort isn't dead Gin."
Ginny flinched. "Oh… don't say the name."
Harry groaned exasperatedly. "Voldemort. Voldemort! Voldemort? Voooooldemort. Voldeeeemort. Voldemoooort. Vol. De. Mort. Voldemort.Voldemort has Moldy Shorts."
Ginny had stopped flinching after the fifth time and said giggling, "Are you quite done?"
"Almost. Voldemort. Voldemort. Vollll Deeeee Moooooooort. There… done." Harry's chest heaved with a laugh. "His name is the one thing about him I'm not afraid of. It's just a name."
That's better. "So… if he's not dead… where do you think he is then?"
Harry sat up, her eyes sparkling with mirth. "Hopefully somewhere he can get struck by this lightning." As if on cue, a lighting flash lit up the room through the windows, and a few seconds later, its thunder rolled over them.
"I like lightning," Ginny whispered, staring out at the stormy black sky. "I like the clean smell it leaves in the air."
"I don't like it. It's loud and-"
Ginny cut her off. "Tattooed on your forehead?"
Harry squeezed her knee. "Twit. No… I like thunder. I like how it rattles my body and makes my hair stand on end."
Ginny grinned. "Your hair does that already."
Harry moaned and attempted to smooth her hair. "Stop being so feisty, Gin."
"I have to be feisty Harry. We can't all be Miss Grumpy-Face." Harry snorted and finished off her tea, leaning back into the chair, sliding her toes under Ginny's bum. Ginny giggled and asked, "Any more of that tea left then?"
"Yeah… still hot I expect."
Ginny got up and padded into the kitchen. Harry followed her. She didn't say anything… just slipped her arms around Ginny's waist, leaning against her as she poured the tea. Ginny turned slowly in her embrace and jumped up to sit on the counter. "Harry?" she asked, anguish flooding into her voice, "Will… will you fight him again… if he comes back?"
Ginny's gaze fell down into pools of twenty different shades of green, pools that were staring back at her… weighing her… measuring her. Nodding, Harry confirmed her fear. "Yeah. Suppose so. I have to relay a message to him."
"Then… I'll be with you when you do; I'll be right next to you." She paled at the prospect of fighting a dark wizard, but she would follow Harry… anywhere. "Forever and ever."
Harry leaned into the counter between her knees, placing her cheek onto Ginny's chest. "That's a long time," Harry replied happily. "I'll hold you to that, Weasley."
"And I'll stick to it, Potter," Ginny said cheekily, smiling into her tea. "Hey… let's go out onto the porch and watch the storm." They left the kitchen with fresh cups of tea, heading towards the front door, arms looped together.
When a lamp beside an armchair clicked on, they both yelped, sloshing a good bit of tea onto the ground. Mum was sitting there, knitting away as if it was completely normal to be awake at this hour. Knitting… in the dark? Really Mum? You're usually so subtle. "Oh… um… hullo Mum."
"Ginny… Harry," said her mother shortly. "I couldn't help but overhear your interesting conversation in the kitchen, dears."
Ginny could feel a rant coming on.
Her mother's eyes flashed and her voice inched upwards on the volume dial. "I'll say this once. Making pledges to fight You-Know-Who is not something twelve and eleven year old girls should be doing at four in the morning! You will both give me your word that you won't act on the pact you just made."
Harry fidgeted but said nothing and Ginny followed her example.
Her mother swelled up and grabbed them both by the shoulder. "Swear it! Any fighting to be done, will be done by adults!"
Harry continued to remain silent. Ginny took her hand and stood next to her… well…behind her. She had seen her mother in a full rage and it was not something she wanted to face unprotected. Ginny still winced when she thought of the time the twins almost made Ron make the Unbreakable Vow. Her parents' fury had been tumultuous.
Her mother's face flushed with anger and she directed her steely gaze at Harry. "Merlin, you're as hard-headed as your mother! You must understand Harry dear, especially after what you experienced last year! Children can't fight fully grown wizards. To do so… you'd be throwing your life away. I'm not going to lose either of you because of a stupid decision like this, do you understand? Promise me!"
Harry looked away from Mum, closing her eyes tightly. Her face disappeared under her bangs… as it always did when she was truly upset. Ginny courageously stepped out from behind her and planted her body between Harry and her mother. "Mum… Stop."
Her mother huffed and folded her arms, but stood back.
Harry looked up at Mum and said in a wavering voice, "I'm sorry Mrs. Weasley… I… I can't make that promise. He killed my parents. He'll come back. Dumbledore knows it and I… I can feel it." Harry grabbed the side of her head, running her fingers through her hair, pounding lightly on her skull with her knuckles. "I can still feel him in my mind; feel him in my scar. He'll come back… and I'll fight."
Her mother scoffed. "You most certainly will not!"
Harry sighed with fatigue. "Mrs. Weasley… I'm… It makes me so happy that you care enough to want to stop me, but I made my choice." She pointed at her scar. "It was made a long time ago." Without another word, Harry turned and walked upstairs with her tea.
"Come back here young lady, we are not finished!" Her mother moved to follow Harry, but Ginny stepped in front of her.
"Really… St-Stop it Mum," Ginny said bravely.
Her mother whirled on her, throwing up her hands in ire, voice laced with that motherly 'I'm disappointed in you' tone. "And you! How could you pledge yourself to her like that? What if your magic recognized it as a vow, Ginevra? You know very well what could happen! Forever and ever indeed. How could I have raised such a foolish child?"
"Who cares if I did make a vow?" Ginny said in a stand-offish manner. "I meant it."
Mum's jaw went slack.
Ginny spun and followed Harry up the stairs. Once inside her bedroom, she closed and locked the door with a heavy sigh. Mum could open it with a wave of her wand… but she thought maybe her mother would take the hint.
Harry was already in her bed and under the covers. They had returned from the hospital three days ago and the cot had yet to be slept in. Ginny gulped down the rest of her tea and slid into the sheets. "Don't mind Mum Harry. She's just worried."
Harry mumbled, "She has a point though doesn't she? What if you get hurt? I… I wouldn't be able to…" she trailed off.
"Since I highly doubt You-Know-Who is hiding out in our shed, I think it's safe to say that tonight is not the night to be worrying about this." Ginny refused to venture into morbid topics once again. "I want to be the little spoon tonight…" budge over."
Harry giggled into the pillow and turned, pulling Ginny to her chest. "Okay. I'll bet you a Knut that your hand still ends up in my shirt. What's up with that anyway?"
Ginny shrugged and entwined their fingers. "Dunno… I like that shirt. But make it two Knuts and you have a deal."
The next morning, to Ginny's delight, her hand was not inside Harry's shirt… rather… it was snug in the waistline of her blue pajama bottoms. Ginny listened to Harry's soft panting that steadily increased in volume. She squealed when the girl let out a very long drawn out moan and pressed her body into Ginny's back, rolling them towards the edge of the bed. "Harry! Wake up we're going-"
THUMP
They landed on the cot bed with a bounce. Harry woke, spluttering as Ginny laughed madly. "You're a terrible big spoon Harry… and you owe me two Knuts."
Ginny watched with amusement as the all-consuming green of Harry's eyes was sucked back into her irises and her face fell into a sad smile. Harry dug into her trunk and grabbed two Knuts from her bottomless money pouch. "Gin?" she asked quietly, handing her the copper coins, finally relenting after playfully pulling them back away from her hand several times as Ginny grabbed at them. "Would your parents let me share my vault with them?"
Ginny sighed heavily and flopped backwards onto the cot. "No… I don't think so. They don't even accept money from Aunty Muriel."
"Oh," Harry said disappointedly. "It's just… My dad essentially told me I could be a spendthrift all my life and the vault still wouldn't run out. I'd rather just… I just want to share it with all of you. Ron told me he uses Charlie's old wand… everyone should have their own wand… you know?"
"Yeah… but we get by, Harry. And we're happy."
Harry scratched her head, leaving a large poof of bed head sticking out at a ridiculous angle, and lay back into Ginny's lap. "Yeah… I know." She slipped her feet into Ginny's slippers and her face softened in content. "Ohh. I like these…" Harry said, wiggling her feet. She turned her head upwards and fixed Ginny with rather large puppy-eyes. "Can I steal them?"
"No you may not!" Ginny poked her in the nose. "Buy your own."
"Mmmm I think I might have to… or else you'll find these disappearing a lot." Harry nuzzled her lap and smiled up at her. "I love you Gin."
Ginny grinned and brushed the hair out of Harry's face. "Love you too." Harry's smile widened and she closed her eyes, shivering lightly. It happened every time Ginny said those words to her. "You know… I think you might just be saying that so you can hear it said back."
Harry giggled. "Who… me? Never!" She sat up and wrapped her arms around Ginny, dragging her down to the ground for a fiercely tight hug. "I love you so much. I do."
That bit of her brain that told her she would never be good enough to be Harriet Potter's friend, screamed in agony as it grew a little smaller. Ginny breathed out and closed her eyes. "Do you… do you really mean that Harry? I mean I'm… I'm nothing special."
Harry nodded against her neck. "You are too, times a thousand… no take-backs. And of course I mean it." Harry let go and Ginny sat back, staring intently into her green eyes, searching for truth in the words… and she found it.
Harry grinned and stood up, clapping her hands together, rubbing them in anticipation. "What should we do today?"
"We should probably go Snidget Hunting with Ron, to make up for yesterday. It'll be fun in the rain."
"Alright." Harry said as she wandered aimlessly about the room. "I want to fly afterwards too. I've thought of a great move… a little too dangerous to test out in a game though."
Ginny bounced up and pulled out a comb from her dresser, running it several times through her red hair. If there was one thing she really liked about herself, it was her hair. "I can't wait to see you play in a game. When did you say positions would open up?"
"Oh… um… Ollie will graduate next year. So we'll need a keeper your third year. Can you play keeper?"
"No. Ron's the keeper. You've seen him. He's great… when he thinks no one is watching him."
"Well… you both should come out for reserves next year," Harry said with a wave of her hand, fiddling with Ginny's Gobstones set. "We've only got Lee Jordan and Natalie Fairborn on the second roster… and Natalie will graduate with Ollie."
"I don't have my own broom. I use Dad's to practice with," Ginny replied sadly.
"Your birthday is November Second right?"
Ginny gasped. "Harry! You can't just… get me a broom for my birthday! Mum would go spare!"
Harry gave her a coy grin and winked. "What Mrs. Weasley doesn't know won't hurt her. And I never said I was going to get you a broom did I? I just asked when your birthday was…" She marched over to Ginny's small bookshelf and scanned the ten or so tomes, most of them having to do with the Harpies. "I'd like to be on the Harpies wouldn't you?"
Ginny squealed and took a flying leap onto her bed. "Oh Merlin… it would be a dream come true. Three of the players on last year's National Team were from the Harpies. They have the best trainers in the league. Harry… come here, your hair is making me cringe."
"Oi!" Harry cried with a laugh. She pulled out a purple volume from the shelf and sat down, leaning into Ginny's chest. "So who's Gilderoy Lockhart and why has he put little hearts all over the front of a book called Voyages with Vampires?"
Ginny laughed heartily and ran the comb through Harry's hair. "Oh he's such a ponce, but Mum loves to read his books. Every single one is a tribute to how fantastic he thinks he is. And you know, I read in there that he says he was fighting off vampires in June of 1987, and then inTroubles with Trolls he says he was fighting trolls at the exact same time. Makes me think it's all a load of bollocks."
"Sounds like a git." Harry turned the page and the ridiculously winning and handsome face of Gilderoy Lockhart was suddenly staring up at them. "Oh wow… he is a good looking git though isn't he?"
Ginny sighed dreamily. "Yeah. It's why Mum is such a fan. I find myself staring at that picture quite a lot too."
"I can understand that… I mean… just look at his bum," Harry said, giggling as she shut the book.
"Trust me… I've seen it." Ginny held up a handful of silky black hair. "What should we do today? French braid?"
"Noooo." Harry bounced on the bed. "Hair loopies please!"
"Ugh… again?"
"What?" Harry asked in a callow voice. "I like hair loopies."
"You're smothering my artistic talent," replied Ginny with a moan, but she resignedly pulled Harry's hair back into a loosely braided ponytail, then braided her bangs into two long strands, which Ginny let hang loose under Harry's ears, with the tips tucked back into the ponytail, creating little loops. Ginny had to admit the whole thing suited Harry very nicely, and contained enough of her hair to give the appearance that it wasn't messy. She tied all the braids off with little red elastic bands. "All done," she said jovially.
Harry got up and ran to the mirror, flipping the loops with her fingers. The mirror, which Ginny had fondly named Martha, gasped and squealed, "Oh yeh look beautiful luv!"
Harry giggled and spun to face Ginny. "Do you want me to do yours?"
"Absolutely not."
"Awww, come on Gin."
"Nope," replied Ginny in defiance. Harry stepped toward her, fingers twitching. Ginny backed away. "Harry… you stay away from my hair." Harry had a mischievous glint in her eyes. Uh oh. Ginny squealed and bolted for the door, wrenching it open and darting upstairs. Harry was hot on her heels. She threw open Ron's door and dove for him, pulling him overtop her body as a shield. He squawked and flailed at the sudden awakening. "RON! SAVE ME!"
"Huhwha! Whas… whas goin on?
Ron was suddenly sandwiched between both Harry and Ginny, as Harry tried to get at her through Ron. "Oi!" he cried loudly. "Gerroff! Gerroff you barmy besoms!" He sat up, holding Harry back, and extricated himself while he glared at Ginny. "I was going to have a lie-in today!"
He let her go and left his room muttering about 'bloody girls' and 'nutty little twits.' Ginny shrieked, squealed, and squirmed as Harry tickled her and trussed up her hair. She eventually just stopped trying and Harry cackled madly in victory before she jumped off the bed and rushed out of the room. Despite the fact that she now had to re-comb her hair… she felt happy… inexplicably happy. She got up and made her way downstairs.
When she entered the dining room for breakfast, Ginny playfully gave Harry the stink-eye, trying to promise in a glare an abundance of knee-tickling as soon as they were back in their room. Harry shoveled porridge into her mouth and grinned at her, safely ensconced in a seat between Ron and Mr. Weasley.
Mum was still rather upset with the both of them but her anger over last night was smothered with the arrival of the morning post. Dad fingered through it. "Ah… Hogwarts letters. Here you are Ginny. Ron. Harry. Percy. Where are-?"
A loud explosion from upstairs accompanied by raucous guffaws answered the question he had just started to ask.
Ginny's fingers trembled as she took the letter from her father. It was addressed in red ink with a neat and loopy scrawl.
Miss Ginevra Molly Weasley
The Second Highest Bedroom
The Burrow
Ottery St. Catchpole
Devon
As she read through her acceptance letter with glee, Ron moaned. "Gilderoy Lockhart! We have to read all his books? I'd rather die."
In a rarely seen act of humor, Percy nodded, and handed Ron his knife. "Here you are then. And I have them too actually. Father… this won't come cheap."
"We'll… we'll manage Percy," Dad said. Ginny could tell however, that he was disheartened.
Harry squeaked.
Ginny turned to her and shook her head. No… don't-
"I'll pay for them Mr. Weasley."
The table went silent. Ron was staring at Harry in shock, a piece of kipper half-way to his mouth. Percy's eyebrows were raised high above his horn-rimmed glasses. Mum was pouring tea onto the floor, completely missing the cup. Dad went stony faced.
Ginny slapped her hand to her eyes in defeat. There was a long tense silence… and then the entire table burst out into loud simultaneous conversation.
"Wow! Harry that's… Bloody Hell… Harry that will cost hundreds of-"
"That's most unethical Harry. It's just not proper to-"
"Oh that's very kind Harry dear but we just can't accept-"
"No Harry, I can't allow you to do that. Weasley's don't take-"
Ginny sighed heavily. "I told you Harry. No one ever listen's to Ginny, do they? Just once I'd-"
"ALRIGHT!" Harry screamed over the din, and the table again went silent. "Look I… I get it. I do. But I just want to help. You've all been so good to me and… and I love you… all of you. Please… let me help."
Dad pinched the bridge of his nose, pushing his glasses up onto his forehead. "I know you want to help Harry. It's a wonderful gesture…it really is. But we don't accept charity or expect payment for-"
"It's not charity or payment!" Harry cried. "I… it's me sharing with the only real family I have left." She put her head in her hands and her chest heaved silently.
Ron rubbed her back as Dad said slowly, "It's just a matter between what is right and what's easy, Harry. I'm sorry… but we just can't accept money that we don't earn from outside the family."
Harry let out a heart-breaking sob… and vanished with soft pop.
Mum screamed and dropped her teacup, which shattered with a mighty crash on the kitchen tile.
Ginny's brain went numb. What? Where… where's my…
Percy gasped and, all his proper mannerisms forgotten, yelled, "SHE JUST BLOODY APPARATED!"
The room exploded into action. Her father pulled out his wand and started muttering over the spot Harry had just vacated. Percy started to flap around shouting about the impossibility of an untrained twelve year old witch apparating. Fred and George came downstairs, confused, but reveling in the general state of chaos. They set off several fireworks to celebrate the occasion.
"Fred… George… not now! Molly, floo Dumbledore," Dad said frantically. "Ginny…"
She felt hands on her shoulders. Harry?
"Ginny!"
She snapped to attention as her father shook her roughly.
"Ginny. Your charm… which way did she go?"
"I… north."
"Alright… alright… let's not panic."
"How can we not panic Arthur? She apparated! To who knows where! She's only twelve! She's probably splinched herself!" Mum searched around the chair Harry had sat in, but thankfully found no body parts. "Oh the poor dear… the last thing I said to-"
"I know where she went."
Everyone in the room went deadly quiet, staring in shock at Ron, who had his arms crossed and was glaring at Dad.
"Ronald?" asked Mum slowly, "How could you possibly know where she went?"
He scoffed. "Because I know Harry." He walked over to the clock and pointed at her hand. "I don't think any of you realized how important this was to her; how important we are to her. The second we put this on the clock it spun to 'Home.' Home, Dad. Harry thought of The Burrow as home. She thinks of us as her family."
"But why would-"
Ron cut him off angrily. "Bill and Charlie send home money Dad. Harry knows that. When you said, 'we just can't accept money that we don't earn from outside the family,' you excluded her. Now… she thinks she isn't a Weasley. And maybe she's not to the rest of you… but she is to me. I know Harry… and you just broke her heart!"
Oh Harry… "But it still says 'Home' Ron," Ginny said slowly. "Is she still here?"
"No. The Burrow isn't 'Home' for her now…" Ron spat bitterly. "The hand went to 'Traveling,' then went back to 'Home.'"
"The Dursleys?" gasped Mum apprehensively.
"No…" Ron said sadly. "The only home she has left. Her real home. Godric's Hollow."
0000
0000
0000
0000
Harry landed on her knees and threw-up as she exited the tube of flashing images and twisted scenery. She found that crying and vomiting at the same time was extremely unpleasant. She grasped onto the little gate in front of her for support. The ground beneath it was familiar, for she had walked on it once before. Raising her head, a new wave of tears washed over her as she beheld the derelict two story cottage.
Home.
She had wanted her home… the home she had seen with her parents dancing in the living room. This was not that home. It was overrun with ivy and its windows were broken. She could see that on the side of the house, part of the wall was blown away. It wasn't warm and welcoming. It was cold… dead.
There was a large sign next to the gate upon which she leaned.
On this spot, on the night of 31 October 1981,LilyandJames Potter lost their lives. Their daughter, Harriet, remains the only witch ever to have survived theKilling Curse. This house, invisible toMuggles, has been left in its ruined state as a monument to the Potters and as a reminder of the violence that tore apart their family.
Sobbing softly, Harry trailed her fingers over her parent's names.
The Killing Curse…
There was a flash of green light.
Harry flinched violently and almost fell back into the puddle of her own sick. Quirrell used that spell… bastard.
She stood, shaking away the tears and memories, and pushed open the gate. Protective wards buzzed all around her, but after a moment, allowed her entry. The grass was knee high and the path no longer visible. She walked towards the front door, torn clean from its hinges, but stopped abruptly on the porch as her slippered foot met something soft.
Harry looked down. Sitting on the wood underneath her feet, was a tiny stuffed broomstick. Her heart gave an almighty wrench. She absolutely knew… deep down… that this little toy had been hers… a toy she had lost… a toy she had loved as a baby. Harry picked it up. The stuffed twigs looked thoroughly chewed, and she had a very strong urge to place them into her mouth, feeling that it would bring her some form of primal comfort. Seeing that it was filthy, Harry forced herself to resist.
The living room was exactly the same… yet… so different. The white shag carpet was… stained a dark burgundy in large spots all about the room. Thankfully, whatever made those spots had been removed. There were pictures… but not of her life. Of her parents' life… their wedding… their honeymoon… their anniversaries… nights out at a pub… picnics… a beach… her father and mother holding her as a newborn. Looking at her body now, it was a wonder she had ever been such a fat little ball of Dudley-ish pudge.
She grabbed every picture in the room and sat them and her little broomstick on the least stained part of the blue couch. There was an old fashioned gramophone sitting directly to her left with a chipped record still on its turntable. Harry placed the needle on an undamaged ring and switched the machine on. The record's song scratched into life; it was a smooth jazz number with a steady bass line. She knew it. She'd never forget this song.
Harry walked numbly to the center of the room and rotated slowly on the spot where her parents had danced. She could see them… feel them.
'We'll always be with you sweetie and don't you ever doubt it.'
"I love you Mum," she whispered to the still air.
Her grief built slowly. It started as a little knot in her throat. Her chest started to heave; her eyes started to moisten; her ears started to burn; and her head started to pound. Then came the sobs. They racked her entire body, forcing her to her hands and knees. Fat tears fell from her eyes into the carpet, washing away a few spots of brown stain. Then came the silence. She closed her eyes, curled into a ball, and listened to the trombones that wailed for her when she no longer had the strength.
"Harry," wheezed a very familiar voice. "What are you doing down there on the floor."
"I'm…" What am I doing? "… moping… sir."
"Ah… I see." Harry heard his footsteps come up beside her and there was a rustle of cloth. She opened her eyes. Professor Dumbledore had lain down beside her and was staring up at the ceiling, twiddling is thumbs. "Oh yes… this is a fine place to mope."
The laugh, just like her grief, built slowly. But soon she was clutching her stomach, laughing so hard she thought her spleen would burst.
And then she was crying; great heaving sobs that deprived her of breath.
"Harry." A wrinkled hand gripped her own, providing much needed comfort. "It is quite alright. In time you will rise from this grief stronger, better, and happier than you ever were." The old man patted her fingers with his other hand. "Oh I was at this one you know… look there I am, right… there. Oh dear me… I did have several glasses of Firewhiskey that night."
Harry sat up, still blubbering fiercely, and looked at the picture the Headmaster was holding. It was one of the pub pictures. Her mother and father and a handsome black haired man she supposed was her godfather, as he was in a majority of all the pictures she had of her parents, were clapping and laughing as the miniature Professor Dumbledore, who was clearly sloshed, danced a jig on top of a table.
Harry giggled through her tears and looked up at him questioningly.
He chuckled. "Ah… well… I had just found out that my brother Aberforth had been blessed with a Great Granddaughter. Even though we are not on friendly terms… I was quite happy for him… as you can see. You may know the girl… a Miss Susan Bones, who is completely unaware of her relation to me… or to her Great-Grandfather for that matter. It saddens me… but it was necessary to sever contacts… I'm sure you can understand why."
Harry nodded, wiping her eyes with her t-shirt. "I like your dance sir."
"Thank you Harry…I have received many such compliments from those who remember the night." He placed the picture down upon the pile and folded his hands in his lap. "Harry… may I ask why you apparated here tonight?"
Apparated? "I don't really know sir. When Mr. Weasley… well, he made it rather clear I wasn't really… I… I just wanted to be with my own family… at my own home. And then I was here."
"And are you satisfied with this home?"
"No… not really. It's… empty."
Professor Dumbledore smiled. "Do you know where home really is Harry?"
Harry slowly raised her hand and touched the flesh above her heart. "Here, with Ginny and Ron… and my parents."
"Indeed."
Harry picked up the little broomstick from the pile. "Sir, could… could you clean this off for me?"
Dumbledore looked at her pointedly. "I believe you know the Scourgify charm. Give it a whirl."
"But I can't-"
He cut her off. "Due to your recent encounter with danger in your place of summer residence, I have procured for you special dispensation to use magic outside of school as long as it is not performed in the presence of Muggles that are not your relatives. Surely you noticed that we are not being swamped by Ministry Owls screaming for your expulsion from Hogwarts after an unlawful apparition."
Harry looked down at the plush broomstick and muttered, "Scourgify!" The dirt shot off of it with a little poof, along with a cloud of dust and several bugs that had made it their home. Harry placed the twigs of the now sparkling clean broomstick into her mouth and chewed softly. She choked back a sob at the soothing familiarity of its taste. "Sir… I assume this means I'll be going back to the Dursley's at the end of the year?"
Dumbledore sighed heavily. "Why ask me a question to which you already know the answer Harry? However… fear not. I have made several conditions for your return and will accompany you back to your home to make your living arrangements more hospitable. On the assured threat of living the rest of their lives as slugs should the Dursley's harm you even once, they have agreed to attempt to right wrongs, and live peaceably. I believe your cousin even wishes to apologize. I will leave you several emergency Portkeys that will take you wherever you wish to go. I have also destroyed the cupboard under the stairs… which reminds me. I have a gift for you." He pulled out a long metal object from the smallest pocket of his robes.
The Coat Rail.
Harry glared at it.
"Perhaps Harry, you would like to release some of that frustration and grief with a much needed game of Explode the Coat Rail."
She grinned predatorily. "Yes please sir."
Dumbledore created a shield around them, conjured twenty more coat rails, and started to shoot them into the air.
"EXPULSO!" she cried, picturing Dudley exploding violently.
"EXPULSO!"
"EXPULSO!"
The last exploded with a mighty boom. "Oh this is fantastic sir. Thank you. Would you like to try?"
Dumbledore chuckled. "I wouldn't mind a shot or two to keep my aim sharp. One can't be called the greatest duelist in a century if he can't hit a flying coat rail."
Harry levitated one of the coat rails and started to zoom it about the room furiously. Dumbledore took careful aim and muttered, "Confringo." A bolt of yellow light sailed out of his wand and slammed into the silver object, not only did it explode, but it shattered and then each little piece blew apart with bursts of flame.
Harry clapped happily and Dumbledore lowered the shield. He waved his wand and several more portraits and photographs sailed into the room from around the house. "Now… Harry. Are you ready to return Home?"
Harry clutched the many frames and photos to her chest, picked up her little broomstick, and nodded. "I think so sir."
"Take my arm then Harry. As impressed as I am that you apparated on your own, I do not think it wise to try for a repeat performance."
She grabbed his sleeve. The tube was less intense this time and when they arrived at The Burrow's front gate, she thankfully was able to keep the contents of her stomach. Professor Dumbledore squeezed her shoulder. "Farewell Harry, I shall see you at Hogwarts."
"Goodbye sir… and thank you for coming to find me."
"Oh don't thank me Harry. Thank young Mr. Weasley. I believe he knew where you went before you had even left." The Headmaster winked and popped away.
As she entered the house and put down her things she experienced the strangest sense of déjà vu. There was a squeal above the many loud voices, a blur of red, and she was knocked to the ground. Instead of snow… they landed on hard earth. Harry groaned but opened an eye and grinned at her. "Gin, you're going to break me in half."
"Harriet Lily Potter! Don't you ever do that to me again… or I'll… Hey! You took my slippers with you!" Ginny rubbed her nose lightly on Harry's cheek.
"Sorry," whispered Harry, inhaling deeply. I'll never get tired of strawberries. "I brought them back though... see? I'll… I'll always bring them back."
Ginny lifted her head and her eyes sparkled. She knew what Harry meant. "Come inside."
They got up and walked through the house into the kitchen. After being checked over by Mrs. Weasley, patted on the back by Fred and George for creating so much chaos, and warned by Percy about the dangers of underage apparition, Harry made her way over to him.
Ron was leaning against a counter with his arms crossed, and a moody look on his face. However, the sour expression vanished when their eyes locked. Harry rushed over to him and sank into his arms. "Hey," she said tenderly.
"Hey," Ron grunted, rubbing the small of her back with his thumb. "You alright now?"
"Yeah… because of you. My savior." Harry kissed his chest.
"S'nothin Harry. I'll always… you know."
"I know. Thanks Ron." Harry tilted her head and beamed up at him. Ron ruffled her hair, messing up Ginny's handiwork. "Oi! My hair loopies!"
He grimaced. "Oops… sorry. Listen, Dad wants to talk to you out in the shed. Come on."
Ron grabbed her hand, Harry grabbed Ginny's hand, and he pulled the both of them out of the house towards the large appliance filled shed.
Ron pushed open the door and led Harry through a maze of broken microwaves, refrigerators, car batteries, blenders, televisions, and more. Mr. Weasley was at the back of the shed, sitting on a tattered beanbag, banging a wrench along the seat of her godfather's motorbike. He gestured for her to come and sit down, and Ron and Ginny left them in private.
"Hand me that crowdriver would you Harry?"
Harry assumed he meant screwdriver and picked up the only one she could find. He used the wrong end to bang on the engine.
She was more than a bit perplexed. "Erm… Mr. Weasley? What are you doing?"
"What?" asked Mr. Weasley. Harry pointed to the wrench and screwdriver. "Oh… yes… percussive maintenance, Harry. A Muggle once told me that the only way to fix anything ecklectic is to hit it soundly or swear at it."
Harry giggled. "Sir… that Muggle… He was taking the mickey out of you. Percussive maintenance is a Muggle joke."
Mr. Weasley was horrified. "R-Really? All this time… So… so what are these for?" He held up a wrench, a screwdriver, a hammer, and a hand drill.
"Well you have the right idea with the hammer." Harry demonstrated the uses of the tools on bits of appliances around the shed with Mr. Weasley looking on happily, heralding the brilliance of Muggles and their gadgets. As Harry showed him how to use the hand drill on a bit of wood, she asked quietly, "Mr. Weasley… Didn't you want to talk to me about something? Not that I'm not enjoying this… or anything."
Mr. Weasley chuckled weakly. "Yes I did Harry… I suppose I was putting it off." He ran a hand through his thinning red hair with a sigh. "I'm quite sorry about earlier. It was… tactless… as I can so often be. My sons did get it from my side of the family I suppose."
"It's alright Mr. Weasley. I shouldn't have imposed."
He waved his hand dismissively. "Nonsense… and I owe you an explanation. When you first visited us last Christmas, you etched yourself into the hearts of Molly and I. We know how much Ginny and Ron care for you, and how much you care for them. When I saw you in that cupboard Harry… I will admit I felt as devastated as I would have losing one of my own. You are a part of this family, and this morning… I treated you differently than I should have out of my own pride and my own shame."
"That means a lot to me sir… but… I-
Cutting her off, Mr. Weasley took a deep breath and continued, staring at a fixed spot on the roof. "My great-great-great-great grandfather became a 'blood-traitor' the second he saved the life of several Muggles that had killed a witch of the Malfoy line. They would have been tortured into insanity by the angered family and my forefather felt that no crime deserved such punishment. When it was learned that he spirited the Muggles away, the Weasley family was cast out into the streets, stripped of status and money. That man was, even though he was a good man, was a Pureblood through and through… he was used to the comforts of high society and wealth. To the family's shame, he thieved, begged, and conned to regain some of his former affluence. His sons and daughters made a vow to never follow in his footsteps. No matter what state of poverty a Weasley lives in, we don't steal, we don't beg, and we don't con to get money. All our wealth comes from what we earn and from leading good, honest lives."
He sighed lightly. "And that Harry, is why I myself cannot accept the vast wealth of the Potters. It is I and I alone who would not be able to live with taking money I have not earned. When Bill and Charlie send money home, I send it back to their accounts unbeknownst to them. I'm a proud man Harry and I have passed that pride onto my children. I don't think any of us could, in good conscience, dip our hands into gold that is rightfully yours, no matter how much you wish us to have it. I hope you can understand. It was never about you not being part of the family."
The little hole in Harry's heart slid shut. "I understand sir… thank you."
"And no more 'sir' please, Harry. You're making me feel much too old. Arthur, or if that is too informal for you for now, Mr. Weasley will suffice."
Harry nodded happily. "Do you… would you let me buy Ron and Ginny new wands? I hate that Ron uses Charlie's. It's holding him back. He's really good at Defense… when he pays attention," she added fondly.
Mr. Weasley was hesitant, but he nodded at the pleading look Harry gave him. "Thank you s-Mr. Weasley, good luck with the bike." She waved and half ran-half skipped out of the shed. Ginny and Ron were leaning up against the wall with their ears pressed to the wood. "Could you be any more obvious?" Harry asked with a laugh.
Ron's ears went pink. "Harry you don't have to get us-"
Harry cut him off with a poke to the stomach and said airily, "shut it Ron. You're getting a new wand whether you like it or not. Now… let's go hunt Snidgets."
0000
0000
0000
0000
Pansy sighed exasperatedly as she climbed the bookshelf's ladder. "Draco, stop looking up my dress."
"Why?" he said in that husky drawl that made her shiver. "We're engaged aren't we? I'll be seeing you starkers as soon as we turn seventeen… maybe sooner," he added slyly.
Definitely sooner. Pansy smirked and put the thick book on dark hexes back on the shelf. "That's not the point Draco." She climbed back down and as soon as her foot hit the ground he pulled her around and slammed his lips into hers. The rest of the books she was holding tumbled out of her grasp as her arms and knees went weak. He's getting so good; so… dominant.
Draco pushed her back against the bookcase and bit her bottom lip lightly, whispering in a low growl, "What is the point, Pans?"
Pansy's mind went blank as his mouth moved to her neck and his hand slid to her arse. "I… don't… what?" He grinned against her neck and started to trail little kisses and bites across her collarbone as he squeezed her bum deliciously. Gasping, she moaned out, "Oh Merlin… Draco… y-your mother… is… is in the antechamber."
"So?" He slid his finger under the strap of her dress and pulled it off her shoulder. Her left breast almost popped free.
Pansy tangled her hands in his hair and whispered, "Think with the head on your shoulders Draco. I'm not ready for this. Don't want to end up like the Weasleys, now do we?"
Groaning, Draco slid the strap back up her shoulder. "Sorry." His erection was throbbing against her leg and she grinned. She loved that she could do this to him, but they had their whole lives to explore that level of being together.
Pansy reached down and patted him through his jeans. "Good boy."
Smirking, he gave her rear another little squeeze as payback. "I've had enough of studying. Let's slip out the back."
"Your mother will be furious." Pansy spoke the words but she wanted out as much as he did.
"Mother is far too full of wine to notice we've even left. Come on." Draco pulled her towards the dragon statue that concealed the secret passage to the grounds, but he froze as they passed a small glass case.
"Draco? What's wrong?"
"My Great-Grandfather's journal… it's gone."
"A house-elf is probably dusting it… let's go."
0000
0000
0000
0000
It's too early.
Harry put her head down on Ginny's shoulders, hugging her warm body for support and yawning heavily. "Gin…" she said in a small voice, "I'm going to fall asleep on you… okay?"
Ginny giggled. "You and Ron are almost the same person, you know that? Better wake up though… you don't want to be sleepy when we Floo."
Ron moaned. "Can't I stay home? Hermione's going to make us stay in Flourish and Blotts for ages.
Ginny patted his arm. "Don't worry Ron, we'll have plenty of time to not buy a full set of Canon's robes at Quality Quidditch Supplies. Besides, there's a new Adventures of Martin Miggs out. You can spend the whole time reading it."
Mrs. Weasley took a flowerpot off the kitchen mantel-piece and peered inside. "We're running low, Arthur," she sighed heavily to Mr. Weasley. "We'll have to buy some more today… alright Ginny, Harry. You two can fit together. Waste not, want not."
Harry barely heard the words, just held on to Ginny and tried to doze standing up.
Ginny grabbed a bit of Floo Powder from the pot and pulled Harry into the fireplace. She threw it down and shouted clearly, "Diagon Alley."
Harry only barely felt herself spinning. Sleepy… sleepy sleepy sleepy. She closed her eyes and cuddled the soft neck into which her nose was currently buried.
"Harry wait we're not-"
All of a sudden she was fully awake as pain seared through her ribs. Ginny moaned from a spot nearby. They had fallen hard onto the reflective marble floor of some sort of atrium. Sunlight streamed through a large open doorway across from them, while a roaring fireplace lay behind them.
Harry groaned as she pushed herself up to her knees. Her glasses were snapped in two, hanging off each ear. With a flick of her wand, she repaired them and asked Ginny, "What happened?"
Ginny waved her arms dramatically. "You fell asleep in the Floo you dolt! We fell out too early."
"Oh… shite."
"Yeah… shite… but… wait, I think…" Ginny got up and walked over to the fireplace. The flames were green. "It's an open Floo link, look." She stuck her hand into the flame and waved it about. "Let's go."
Harry nodded and stood, but something out the doorway caught her eyes. "Oh… Ginny! Wait! It's beautiful." She ran across the atrium and out into the warm sunshine, feet pounding across the lush grass of the enormous circular courtyard. A magnificent white fountain stood before her. Water levitated above it, dancing and twirling in great sloshing arcs. Behind the fountain was a massive white building with steps that seemed to go on forever before they disappeared between two of the seven large marble columns.
The fountain is what fascinated Harry however. The many long strands of water that sailed through the air unsupported, were weaving about in intricate images. She saw dragons, unicorns, sea serpents, gryphons… all shimmering in the dancing water. Ginny sidled up next to her, mouth agape, staring in awe at the fountain.
Harry tentatively reached out her hand to touch the water, but as soon as the cool fluid made contact with her skin… the images disappeared. In their place, the water formed two large interconnecting spirals, flowing and rotating in midair.
Harry gasped and clutched Ginny's arm. "Gin… it's… it's the rune." The mustard trail rune… the light on my arm. It's so… so… squiggle… no, I mean…
"Harry… I don't… I don't think we should be here."
"No… you shouldn't," replied a wheezing voice from behind them.
Harry spun to behold a very… very old man with lopsided spectacles and a magnificent snow white beard. He was leaning on a twisted staff with seven concentric rings at the top. He had a toothy grin… and his eyes… his eyes were old… impossibly old. It was the face of Jackson Smith… It was the disguise of Nicholas Flamel.
Ginny mumbled, frightened. "Yes… we're very sorry sir. We came here by mistake and we were just leaving… weren't we Harry?"
Harry didn't answer her. She cocked her head and asked the man, "So you didn't go to Cabo then, sir?"
The man barked out a laugh and that same bone-shaking roll of power she had felt in the Hospital wing washed over her as he spoke. "Oho! Quite the little eavesdropper aren't we?" In the blink of an eye, he was Nicholas Flamel… in flower-patterned orange swim trunks. "I did in fact go to Cabo, Miss Potter. I am still in Cabo." He lashed out at her with his staff… and it passed right through her. "You see… I felt someonephysically enter this place and I thought I'd check in. And to my great surprise… I find two little girls, neither of whom are members of the Circles. Tell me, how did you find yourself here?"
Harry pointed back at the atrium. "Through the fire, sir."
"Oh my… that is most interesting; quite impossible… not for centuries… terribly interesting. Although…" Flamel's eyes flicked to the rotating spirals. "… making impossibilities possible seems to be a habit of yours Potter. That fountain hasn't shown a single thing other than magical creatures in twelve hundred years. Now it shows the rune… it's been so long since… how terribly interesting. I wonder if I should tell… no… no that would be most unwise. It could bungle things up for the two of you." He seemed to be talking to himself more than Harry and Ginny.
Harry shuffled her feet, feeling completely at a loss. "I'm afraid I don't understand, sir."
"No… you wouldn't would you? Nor should you for that matter. Now… off you go." He shooed them towards the atrium. "Perenelle and I were just about to go snorkeling and I can't very well leave you here alone, now can I?"
He herded them all the way back to the fireplace. Ginny, still scared out of her wits by this seemingly insane impossible-eyed man, grabbed Harry's arm, pulled her into the fire, and yelled loudly, "Diagon Alley!"
Harry was aware of it this time. It felt like she was being pulled down a drain, spinning rapidly as green flames whirled about her. It sounded like she was sitting in the middle of a gigantic bonfire, flames roaring and crackling around her, burning all other sound away. Cold hands slapped her face; bile rose in her mouth; her brain juices sloshed about in her head as they spun… and then… She fell, face forward onto wood. Her glasses snapped… again. "Oh for heaven's sake… Reparo."
The familiar sounds of a busy Leaky Cauldron met her ears; she heard Tom the Bartender tell a rather poor joke about trolls and small loincloths, which earned a raucous bout of laughter from the most sloshed of his patrons.
Hands gripped her shoulders and pulled her up, brushing her off. Crystal blue eyes twinkled at her. "Oi… where've you two been? Mum's having kittens."
Ginny sighed. "We fell out at the wrong gate, Ron. We… it took us a moment to get back. It's only been a few minutes hasn't it?"
"Yeah, well… Mum is being Mum. Come on… they're out in the alley." He led them out the back door and tapped the bricks with his wand to materialize the entranceway.
After thoroughly apologizing to Mrs. Weasley for giving her such a scare, the Weasleys made their way down the street to Gringotts. Harry saw Hermione sitting on the steps with a tall brown-haired bookish looking man and a tall woman that looked very much like a blonde Hermione. Harry jumped up and down waving, trying to catch her attention over the heads of the families milling about the alley. Despite the fact that she had grown nearly an inch in two and a half weeks of solid eating, she was still too short for her hand to reach more than a fingertip's length above the crowd. She squeezed through the bodies and ran up to the bushy-haired girl, engulfing her in a hug. "Hullo, Mione… those books you gave me are amazing! I've been going through them every night."
"Yes… they are fascinating aren't they, especially the book Professor Dumbledore wrote… I bought copies for myself you see. Projection is especially interesting. These are my parents, Harry. Mum, Dad, this is my friend Harry Potter." Hermione gestured towards the man and woman who were waiting nervously behind her, yet her eyes we're locked onto a spot behind Harry.
Harry knew what she was looking at. "It's very nice to meet you," she said to Hermione's parents. Stepping closer to her friend, Harry whispered in her ear, "Yeah… he does look rather fit, doesn't he?"
Hermione's eyes retreated from Ron and she spluttered indignantly, "I… I have no idea what you're talking about Harry."
The look in Hermione's eyes said otherwise. Harry smirked and threw an arm around her shoulder. "Right."
Hermione parted with the Weasleys to exchange muggle money to galleons. Mr. Weasley was absolutely fascinated with the Grangers, insisting that they go for a drink after they returned from the vaults. A tiny spark of jealously flared in Harry's chest when she saw that Ron was just as fascinated as his father… except he was only interested in Mrs. Granger, who was gorgeous and extremely curvy. She was at most in her mid thirties and looked even younger; she could have been Hermione's much older sister. Mione is going to look just like that. I don't have a chance, do I?
Harry enjoyed the breakneck journey down to the Weasleys' vault… until it was opened. Her heart fell out of her chest. There was only one galleon, some sickles and a few Knuts in the small chamber. Mrs. Weasley swept the lot into her purse with a small sigh.
Harry was barely listening to Ron and Ginny's Quidditch talk as they sped down to her vault. Rather, she was listening intently to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley's hushed conversation.
"-only have eighty sixty galleons altogether. We won't have enough for five sets of Lockhart books, let alone Ginny's things… even if they're secondhand."
"We'll manage Molly. I'll call in some favors."
"Arthur why not just let her?"
"You know why Molly… I just can't…. I can't take Lily and James' fortune in good conscience."
"She wants to be a part of this family so much. She is in spirit. You're paycheck comes in soon… we can pay her back. Arthur, we need-"
"Listen to yourself!"
"I… y-you're right…"
Harry felt disgusted as she walked into her large vault which was filled to the brim with hundreds of waist-high miniature mountains of gold, silver, and bronze coins. She gathered more than she would have taken for herself. I'm paying for whatever I can get away with.
Ron was making a snow angel in a pile of gold coins.
"Enjoying yourself Ronald?" Ginny asked sternly.
"Immensely. Thanks Gin."
Harry pulled him up and flicked his nose. "Git. Come on… new wands await."
Ron's ears went pink. "Really Harry, you don't have to-"
Harry cut him off with a laugh. "Ron… you were just able to make a snow angel in a pile of my money. Do you really think I'm going to hesitate buying something you need?"
"Er… right."
Back outside the bank on the marble steps, they separated. Percy went off to parts unknown; Fred and George saw Lee Jordan and headed straight for Gambol and Japes; Harry and Ginny started to run for Quality Quidditch Supplies, but Mrs. Weasley caught their arms. "Not so fast girls," she said, pointing to a tiny shop door nestled between an apothecary and the Daily Prophet headquarters. A little pink sign above the door read 'The Witching Hour.'
Ginny moaned. "Oh no. Mum! Do we have to?"
"Yes you do. Now march."
Harry gagged and flinched as they walked into the shop; gagging from the overpowering haze of perfume and flinching from the ridiculously pink color of the store's interior. There were knickers, bras, perfumes, lingerie, hoserie, love potions, hair potions, candy make-up charms, clothing accessories, hair accessories, purses, shoes, hats, jewelry… they had just about everything under the sun that was made for women. Harry might have been impressed with the shop if she hadn't been gagging on her tongue from the overly sweet stench.
Mrs. Weasley made them pick out bras; Ginny in the B-cup section… Harry in the A-cup picked up two; one green, in honor of Hermione, and one white. As her current shoes had several holes, she grabbed a new pair. They were green with print snitches that actually moved. Ginny thoroughly approved of them. Rather guiltily, Harry also found a large packet of candies that were charmed to apply either pink strawberry flavored lipstick or dark red chocolate flavored lipstick for an entire week.
The witch behind the counter was wearing just as much make-up as Daphne Greengrass could smother on her face… which was quite a lot. Mrs. Weasley walked up to her and asked for the 'standard education course and kit.'
The witch led them into the back room and sat them down in comfy pink armchairs. She flicked her wand causing the room darkened.
The 'education course' was a bit like a Muggle film, but it floated in mid air in three dimensions. It was terrifying… a terrifying educational film entitled 'A Witch's Body and How to Manage It.'
Leaving the room a few minutes later, she felt completely disgusted that sometime soon she would start bleeding all over her knickers and had to stick a little enchanted ball of cloth into her folds to stop it. String side down. Yeugh… but thanks anyway Mum.
Ginny moaned into her ear. "I don't want to do that every month."
"Me neither," she whispered, paying for her purchases.
When Mrs. Weasley went to pay the four galleon total for Ginny, Harry slipped four galleons into her purse. Ginny was about to object but Harry glared at her and shook her head fiercely.
They headed next for Tweed's Titillating Treasures, the only second-hand store in the alley. Harry found several skirts, shirts, and pants of various colors that looked nice on her. The clothes weren't high Parisian fashion like Pansy and Cho Chang insisted on wearing. They were simple… basic, how Harry liked things. It didn't matter that they were secondhand. All she wanted was clothes that fit that she could call her own. She also found a green belt with a tiny fluttering snitch on it. It matched her new shoes perfectly.
Again, when Mrs. Weasley paid for Ginny's robes, Harry snuck an equal amount back into her purse. Ginny whispered into her ear as they left the shop. "Stop, Harry. Please? Mum and Dad will find out."
"No." Harry muttered. "I want to do this… and it'll be too late when they do find out. We might even be back at Hogwarts by then. When they try to pay me back, I won't accept it… just like they wouldn't accept my money."
Ginny sighed unhappily, but she entwined their hands and mumbled, "Thanks Harry."
Harry did it in every shop. When only Ginny's wand and books were left, Harry tugged on Mrs. Weasley's sleeve. "Mrs. Weasley? Mr. Weasley said I can buy Ron and Ginny their wands. Do you think we should split up and meet at Flourish and Blotts?"
"Oh… yes good idea Harry. I should go find Arthur and the Grangers before he scares them half to death."
Harry and Ginny found Ron and Hermione still in Quality Quidditch Supplies.
"Honestly Ron… what would you do with a full set of Chudley Canon's robes?" asked Hermione in frustration as Ron ran his hands over the broomstick signed by Marcus Bode.
"I'd wear them!" said Ron indignantly.
Harry came up behind him and patted him on back. "No you wouldn't."
"Well… no… I wouldn't. But I'd have them to look at everyday instead of once a year."
Harry bought new bracers at the shop as hers had cracked. Like many of the League Seekers, she had taken to batting away bludgers with her guards instead of dodging. It was more dangerous than dodging or rolling away, but it allowed you to keep your eye on the snitch. It of course had taken its toll on her gear. She also bought a Harpies poster to hang in her dorm.
When the four of them entered Ollivander's, there was a brilliant flash that blinded Harry's vision. "Oh wow! Harriet Potter! Can I have your autograph?"
"Colin! Leave that poor girl alone."
Harry heard the bell above the door ring and assumed Colin's mother had pulled him from the shop.
"Ah…" said a familiar soft voice. "Wands for the youngest Weasleys is it? Miss Granger how is that Dragon Heartstring for Transfiguration? I've always thought it was one of my best Transfiguration creations."
Mr. Ollivander stood before them, his wide, pale eyes shining like moons through the gloom of the shop.
"It's quite excellent sir, thank you… I have top marks," said Hermione proudly.
Mr. Ollivander nodded appreciatively. "And… Miss Potter. I see you have mastered your wand. That is excellent news. I was afraid my words might have scarred you deeply. But you have learned the truth of magic, yes?
"Yes sir." Harry grinned.
"Excellent. I expect great things Miss Potter. Well then… let's get to it. Mr. Weasley… wand arm?" Ron raised his right arm and Ollivander walked over to a shelf, pulling out a long box. "Try this one. Willow and unicorn tail-hair. Fourteen inches. Nice and springy. Give it a wave."
Ron waved… and nothing happened.
"Hmmm that's most curious. I thought for sure that would be the one. Come here boy." Ollivander grabbed Ron's cheeks and pulled him close, tilting his face from side to side. "Ah yes… I see. A divergence… how very curious… Try this… One of my rarer creations. Whomping Willow and Ashwinder Ash. Ten inches. A stout wand… quite excellent for defensive magic."
Ron took the wand and a golden wall of mist erupted from the wand to sit between himself and Ollivander.
"Oh yes… that's the wand for you boy. But… it will cost you thirty galleons. It is one of my best. We could select another less suitable wand if your funds are not sufficient." Ollivander peered at Harry knowingly. Doesn't miss a trick, does he? Harry handed him the coins and the old man deposited them into an old fashioned register. "Excellent… excellent."
Ron was rolling the wand between his fingers. He muttered excitedly under his breath, "this wand… it… it feels good. I can't explain it. For some barmy reason its making me think about centaurs… centaurs… dunno. Weird eh?"
Harry shrugged and Ollivander moved on to Ginny. "Wand arm?" Ginny held up her left. "This one… Holly and unicorn tail-hair. Eight and a half inches. A wand simply divine for hexes and jinxes."
Ginny went through at least forty wands with no reaction.
Ollivander peered at her stonily… and then… he peered at Harry… and then back to Ginny… and then to Harry once again. Walking around the counter, he beckoned them both toward him. Ollivander grasped their forearms; Ginny's left and Harry's right. Their charms spun together. He stared and he stared… and then-
"How curious… I… I don't have a wand for you girl," Ollivander whispered, his eyes almost glowing.
Ginny gasped. "W-What? What do you mean you… you don't have a wand for me? I'm… I'm a witch!"
"Patience dear girl… I don't have it… but I can make it." Ollivander was overly excited. "Give me an hour. I must contact the Headmaster."
And they waited… and they waited… and they waited some more. Ron was moaning that they could be in Gambol and Japes but neither Harry nor Ginny were moving from the spot. Mrs. Weasley came to check up on them several times. She was incredibly shocked that Ollivander's didn't have a wand that would suit Ginny.
Harry's mind was whirring fiercely. Ollivander looked at our forearms. Did he see something there? I saw a light on Ginny's left arm. Was it a fairy? Or was it… the rune? He has to talk to Dumbledore… what does that mean? I'm in the mood for ice cream. The rune… what is it? Flamel knew… of course he knew… he's 1700 years old. He probably knows everything there is to know about anything. The fountain… what was that fountain? Why do I keep making impossibilities possible? I could really use some ice cream… strawberry ice cream.
Ollivander slipped back into the front room after roughly an hour and a half. He carried in his hand a light brown wand, twirling it between his fingers. Holly... and phoenix feather… freshly plucked from the tail of a very special phoenix belonging to the Headmaster of Hogwarts. Eleven inches. Very supple."
That's… that's the-
Ginny brought the wand down in a swishing arc and red and gold sparks shot out of it like a whip.
That's the same as my wand!
Ollivander fixed Harry with his piercing gaze. "Never have I made a duplicate wand… until now."
Ginny turned to look at her, mouth slightly agape. Harry had told Ginny of the connection between hers and Voldemort's wands; a connection that now had a third member. Voldemort, Harry… and Ginny.
Harry pulled out her wand and handed it to Ginny, who gave hers to Harry. Ginny swished and sparks flew. Harry conjured a teacup.
It was exactly the same wand… with the same feel between her fingers… the same gentle warmth.
They returned the wands to their owner. Would it even matter if we traded?
"I think we can expect great things from the two of you," whispered Ollivander rather intensely.
Harry was still a bit too shocked to acknowledge the old man. Ginny took her hand and shrugged, grinning, twirling the wand between her fingers. She echoed Ron's words. "Weird eh?"
"Very," sighed Harry heavily. "I think I need some ice cream to restart my brain."
Harry paid Ollivander the seven galleons for the wand plus ten extra for the short notice special order, and they left the shop. Trying not to think on the oddity of the day's events, she bought them all strawberry-and-peanut-butter ice cream sundaes from Florean's and the four of them slowly idled back to Flourish and Blotts… slowly only because there was a huge crowd that was five store fronts wide in either direction outside the shop.
"What's this then?" asked Ron in confusion.
Ginny pointed at a large sign stretched across the upper windows of the shop.
GILDEROY LOCKHART
Will be signing copies of his autobiography
MAGICAL ME
Today at 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM
Harry snorted, flipping the hourglass back to normal as she finished her ice cream. "He wrote an autobiography? I read Travels with Trolls andVoyages with Vampires. There's more biographical information in those books then there is story."
"But Harry," squealed Hermione excitedly, "we can actually meet him! I mean… he's written almost the whole booklist!"
Harry giggled and leaned into her ear. "Yes… because that's why you want to meet him."
Ron heard and gagged purposefully, pointing his finger at his mouth in disgust.
Hermione blushed fiercely and swatted her away.
Even though she teased, Harry had to admit that while Gilderoy Lockart was a bit of a self serving ponce in his books… she too was excited to meet him for exactly the same reason Hermione was.
They entered the shop and found the Grangers and the Weasleys halfway up the line. "Oh, there you are, good," said Mrs. Weasley breathlessly. She was patting her hair and smoothing down her dress. "We'll be able to see him in a moment."
As the group anxiously waited for a glimpse of the man… well… as the women of the group waited anxiously… including Mrs. Granger who seemed swept up by the buzz of feminine excitement… even though she had no idea who they were meeting, Harry saw a familiar head of platinum blonde hair enter the bookshop. He found her gaze so quickly… it was as if their eyes were attracting magnets. Draco winked at her and grinned that annoying grin of his that Harry both hated and enjoyed seeing on his face. He looked much older… all of his babyish features now those of a young man. She didn't like to admit it but… he looks good… Not as good as Ron though... She smiled fondly at the boy who was swatting at Hermione as she tried to rub dirt off his nose.
A black haired girl wrapped her arms around Draco's waist and he leaned over to kiss her temple. Harry stomach gave a little envious lurch. She looked a bit like a taller, prettier, and far bustier version of… wait… no… it can't be… Parkinson? It was definitely her. Even though the blonde ringlets that the little bint loved to bounce so ostentatiously were gone, that same 'I'm better than you' smirk lay under her pointy little upturned nose. Ponce and Bint- together forever. She's probably erased any progress he's made towards becoming a decent human being.
Harry looked away and leaned on Ginny, hoping Parkinson didn't notice her. She really didn't want to get into it with the girl in front of all these people. It had been a long morning and she was far too bloody tired for something like that. The redhead with whom she was once again equal height, took Harry's hands and wrapped them around her stomach. Harry sat her chin on Ginny's shoulder and asked softly, "Can we take a nap standing up?"
Ginny giggled and drawled sarcastically, "yes Harry… because that worked out so well for us the first time. Who was that man anyway?"
"Nicholas Flamel," mumbled Harry.
If Ginny was shocked by this news, Harry didn't find out, for at that moment Gilderoy Lockhart came into view, seated at a table surrounded by large pictures of his own winking, smiling, gorgeous face. The witches in the line around her all inhaled sharply.
Harry was looking at his eyes; his forget-me-not blue eyes. She didn't know why but she thought there was something… not quite right… about them. She couldn't put a finger on it. Dumbledore said in his Legilimency book that 'the eyes are direct connections to the mind.' It was definitely not her imagination… there was… something in his eyes… something false. Well… maybe he doesn't want to be here signing all these books and he's trying to hide it. I certainly wouldn't want to be doing this.
A camera man was dancing around Lockhart, much like Uncle Vernon had danced around Dudley during his eleventh birthday breakfast. He bumped into Fred and yelled, "Watch it, Scruffy! This is for the Daily Prophet!"
Smirking rather evilly, Fred placed something into the man's coat pocket while his back was turned. Harry thought she was the only one who saw because he winked at her. A split second later and there was a very high pitched shriek, several squeals, more than several giggles, and a large overwhelming surge of laughter. The photographer's clothes had become completely see-through. He was essentially dancing around with his camera in his skivvies and socks, seemingly none the wiser.
Gilderoy Lockhart looked up at the screams of laughter and blanched when he saw the nearly nude man. Mr. Weasley gave Fred a very stern look, and tapped the man with his wand. The reporter's clothes returned. He hadn't noticed a thing. Eyes returned to Lockhart… whose eyes were on Harry. She felt her cheeks burn. The celebrity leapt to his fate and positively shouted, "It can't be Harriet Potter?"
Suddenly hands were upon her, pulling her away from the Weasleys. Ginny, however, was latched to her tightly and no matter what the photographer did, she wouldn't let go. Ginny swiftly kicked the man in the shins when he tried a second time. He hopped around on one foot, gave up his attempts to break them apart, and shoved them both towards Lockhart.
"Nice big smile, Harriet… and friend. Together, we'll make the front page." He gave her a wide smile of gleaming white teeth.
The photographer was clicking the camera shutter like no tomorrow, and the flashes were making her woozy. She only barely heard Lockhart announce that he was going to be replacing Quirrell as the defense teacher at Hogwarts. A stack of books was shoved into her hands and she was pushed away from the flashing camera, back towards the Weasleys.
She stumbled into Mr. Weasley. "Are you quite alright Harry? You look like you're about to vomit."
"M'fine. What just happened exactly?"
Ron's hand slid around her shoulders. "It's called being handled, mate."
They got the rest of the books they'd need for school and when they reached the section with the hundred or so copies of all of Lockhart's books, Harry dumped the ones she carried into Ginny's cauldron. "A gift for you, Madame."
Ginny opened her mouth to protest but Harry whispered, "Honestly Gin… we have the same bloody wand. If there were ever two people that could be peas in a pod it's us." Harry picked up another set of Lockhart books and walked to the cashier. "What's mine is yours… and I've decided to buy another set of books… just for kicks, see. And since we basically share everything, we'll share those two sets of books." She kissed Ginny's cheek. "See how convenient that is?"
"Wow Potter… didn't know you were a dyke," cackled a snide and pompous voice. "You just wait till Millicent finds out. Hope you're not a femme or she'll tear your cunny to bits."
Harry reddened considerably and turned to face Pansy. She didn't really know what was just said… but she assumed it was bad. Pansy never partook in the physical bullying of Hogwarts students that many of the Slytherins so enjoyed. No… she was just like Piers. She would sit on the sideline and taunt you until you were in tears. Her favorite target was Hermione… Harry was her second… and Neville was her third.
Harry spat venomously, "Parkinson… did words just come out of your mouth? I only saw shite dribbling down your chin. Go away."
Pansy laughed cruelly. "Aww, Prissy Potter got her feelings hurt. Why don't you have this little Weasley slag kiss it all better? You'd like it, wouldn't you? You know… since you're a big lezzy bull dyke and all."
Harry knew what slag meant and she knew Pansy meant Ginny. Her wand was out so quickly the girl didn't even have time to react. "Go away… now."
Pansy put her hands on her rather accentuated hips and drawled, "Or you'll what? You can't use magic outside of school. You'll get-"
Harry's hex slammed into her face. Boils sprang up everywhere. Pansy clutched at her skin, moaning, and ran away in pained tears. "God, I hate her so much."
Ginny giggled. "Oh Harry… you… defended my honor. You even beat Ron to the chase."
"Yeah well, I won't say I didn't enjoy it." Harry took her hand and rubbed it. "What's a 'dyke' do you think?"
Ginny shrugged. "Dunno."
"Harry!" cried an angry voice. "What did you do to Pansy?" Draco was stalking over to her, face red and fists clenched.
Ron stepped in front of her. "She taught that evil little bint a lesson that's what she did."
"Don't you dare call her that, you filthy blood-traitor!" Draco yelled, lunging at Ron.
Mr. and Mrs. Weasley caught up with them after paying for the rest of their children's books. They seemed puzzled that they had so easily afforded everything. Mr. Weasley dashed forward and wrenched the two brawling boys apart. "Ron, stop! It's too crowded in here for this!" he shouted. "Boy… go back to your parents," he pushed Draco away from them.
"Do not lay your hands upon my son, Arthur," said a smooth drawling voice that reminded her of Draco.
Mr. Weasley let go off Ron and stepped out in front of his family, just as Ron had done for her. He replied in an icy tone. "Perhaps you could control him better, Lucius. I know how very fond you are of… controlling… people."
"Tut tut, Weasley," Lucius Malfoy said softly, stoic face falling into a small sneer. "You don't want to go spreading accusations that could… cause complication for you at the Ministry. I hear you've been busy as of late. All those raids… I hope they're paying you overtime?" Mr. Malfoy reached into Ginny's cauldron and pulled out a second-hand copy of A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration. Laughing under his breath at the state of the book, he muttered nastily, "Hmm obviously not. Tell me… what's the use of being a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don't even pay you well for it?"
Mr. Weasley grimaced. "We have a very different idea of what disgraces the name of Wizard, Malfoy… How is your arm by the way? I hope it has recovered from that terrible business with a rather stubborn… tattoo was it?"
Mr. Malfoy's lip curled. "You speak so foolishly, Weasley. Perhaps when I have convinced the Minister that the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts office is a waste of budget, you will be singing… no… begging to a different tune."
Mr. Weasley was quick. He drew back his fist and decked Mr. Malfoy as hard as he could in the jaw. The silver haired man flew back into a bookshelf, which sent several tomes tumbling down onto his head. Mr. Malfoy recovered quickly, but instead of retaliating physically, he drew his wand and slashed it down in an arc. Familiar, sickly purple light shot out of it in slow motion. Quirrell… bastard. Wand still in hand and knowing that she could, Harry conjured a solid brick wall in front of Mr. Weasley, who didn't have his wand out.
Harry was horrified to see that the light cut into the brick for several inches. The stone around the gash had melted. It was only conjured brick… but still. That curse surely would have…
Every single Weasley, and even some of the onlookers in the crowd had their wands out… ready for another attack. Mr. Malfoy's angered face very quickly returned to its stony position. "You will regret that one day, Weasley. Here, girl… take your book... it's the best your father can give you… Come Draco." They left the shop quickly.
Mr. Weasley turned to her. "Thank you Harry… Never would I have thought Lucius would… well, anyway… I am in your debt."
"No, y-you're not," stuttered Harry, still extremely shocked at the lethal force of the spell Mr. Malfoy had used in his fury. "Surely he'll… he'll be punished for attacking you… won't he?"
Mr. Weasley smiled and patted her shoulder gently. "Sometimes Harry, it is easy to forget that you didn't grow up in this world. No… Lucius is… well, there's no other word for it… he's rather slippery. I doubt an incident report will even be filed with the Aurors." He removed his pointed cap, using it to clean his glasses, and said to the group, "Let's head for home, shall we? It's been a long day."
Harry let out a small sigh of relief. Finally.
That night, a rather chilly night for the end of August, the Weasley's lounged about the sitting room as a fire crackled merrily in the hearth.
Harry felt rather wonderful at the moment, snug in her new clothes and her Weasley jumper. So wonderful in fact that she found it slightly difficult to concentrate on the chess game that levitated above her lap. It wasn't the clothes that were doing the distracting however. It was Ron… or rather… where Ron was. Instead of sitting on the other side of the board, he sat behind her… head over her shoulder, his stomach pressing into her back.
She had always enjoyed his embrace… this specific embrace as she would lean on his broadened chest. But today, it was different… better.She pushed herself back into his arms.
"Give up?" asked Ron with a laugh, taking her knight and rubbing her shoulder consolingly.
Harry only had three pieces left to his five. "Not yet." I lost… but I think I'm going to sit here for just a little bit longer. She let her head fall back onto his shoulder and entwined their fingers, smiling up at him. The way he had stepped in between Draco and herself… it just meant more than it had before. My savior… my knight… my best mate… my… very handsome best mate. She dragged his arm around her waist.
Ron tensed, looking apprehensive and nervous as Harry stared into his crystal clear sky blue eyes. A butterfly flapped its wings in her stomach. Her eyelids fluttered closed. She slowly inched forward.
Ginny's voice echoed down the stairs from their room.
"HARRY! COME HERE!"
Ron pulled away, unclasping their hands. Harry muttered quickly, "Oh… I… I'm sorry. I… I was… having a moment." She blushed beet red, got up, and ran upstairs faster than you could say 'Quidditch.'
Oh God. I almost kissed him. Oh God. Oh Merlin. Oh God, I almost kissed Ron. I almost kissed Ron! He's going to think I'm barmy! He likes Mione. Oh god. Harry, you… IDIOT!
Harry bolted into the room, slammed the door, and slid down the wood onto the floor. She tried to hide her heated face from Ginny, but the redhead seemed to intrinsically know what had happened. Ginny gasped and rushed over to her, urgent matter completely forgotten. "Did you kiss him? You've been ogling him all day! What was it like? Is he a good kisser? Ew wait… no… don't tell me that."
Harry blushed even harder, she could feel it on her neck, on her shoulders; her ears felt like they were on fire. "I… almost did. I wanted to. I'm not… I'm not sure if he wanted to kiss me though. He went all… stiff."
Ginny raised an eyebrow playfully.
"Yeugh! Ginny… come on… you know what I mean."
"Yeah." Ginny pulled her up and dragged her over to the bed. "Come here… look at this book I found in my things." She held up a thin black completely normal looking book.
"What am I looking at?" asked Harry perplexedly.
"This…" Ginny opened it and flipped through its blank pages. "It's a diary."
"How do you know? Its blank isn't it?"
"No… it's definitely a diary."
Harry laughed. "Doesn't look like much diary keeping went on. Whose is it?"
"Well… its second hand… some bloke's named Tom. But look Harry… this is amazing!" Ginny picked up one of the quills Harry had given her Christmas-last. "I've always wanted a diary, but Mum said writing down how I feel everyday is a waste of parchment… and well… you know… 'waste not, want not.' So I never got one. But then… this was in my books. No idea how it got there."
Harry waved it off. "The clerk probably gave it to you by accident… it looked like it was his first day on the job."
"That's what I was just thinking. So I said 'Hey, lucky me… empty diary,' and I wrote in it."
Harry stared at her and said slowly, "Gin… this thing is completely blank."
"I know! Watch." Ginny dipped the quill in her inkpot and scrawled into the diary.
Hello. I'm Ginny.
Harry gasped. The words, like water in a sieve, sunk into the page. Different words reappeared seconds later in a completely new handwriting.
Hello Ginny. Tell me… who are you?
"Wicked," Harry breathed, amazed. "Is it… is it a joke, do you think?"
"I don't know. It keeps asking me who I am; to tell it about myself. Maybe it's a diary that talks to you… helps you work through your feelings or something… like how our mirrors talk to help you pick out outfits."
"Hey, yeah… I bet your right." Harry jumped onto the bed. "Talk to it. See what it says."
Ginny jumped onto the bed after her. Crawling into Harry's lap, she began to write, while Harry peered over her shoulder.
I'm Ginny Weasley. I'm eleven years old. Do you have a name or should we just call you Diary?
My name is Tom Riddle. I knew a boy named Weasley once. Septimus Weasley.
Ginny gasped and scribbled furiously.
My Grandfather's name was Septimus! He died in the war against You-Know-Who.
You-Know-Who? Tell me Ginny Weasley… who is You-Know-Who?
Ginny's hand trembled as she tried to write the name. "Here Gin," Harry whispered, taking the quill from her. "Let me do it."
You-Know-Who is a murderer. His real name is Voldemort.
Tell me… Who did he murder?
Everyone… including my parents.
You are not Ginny Weasley. Tell me… Who are you?
Harry Potter. I'm twelve years old and a friend of Ginny's. Who are you, Tom?
I am your friend, Harry Potter. Tell me about yourself. Tell me everything. Why did Voldemort kill your parents?
Harry suddenly didn't feel well. Her scar was stinging terribly and her stomach was doing nauseating flips. She gave the book back to Ginny and excused herself to the bathroom.
0000
0000
0000
0000
AND THE FOURTH SHIP IS REVEALED!
Check out my profile for a link to this story's Fan-Art page. Contains some NSFW content.
New art up.
Review! Ask me questions. I want to answer them.
looking for nitpicky betas- grammar specific

Not completely happy with this chapter but it's alright. Fun to write.
10 Points to whoever can guess what random non-hp character I'm giving a shout out to when i say 'hair loopies.'
Connections are appearing!
If you're wondering about the failed wands… those are Ron and Ginny's canon wands. Why didn't they work I wonder?
Things I wanted to happen but may not have written effectively:
-I want to make Harry's feelings like those of a twelve year old. I'm trying hard to remember what it's like to be twelve.
-I wanted to show Luna's father in a state of mourning since it's so early after his wife's death. So it didn't really mesh with the crazy image of Xeno in DH