Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Butterfly Effect ❯ Chapter 9: The Grecian ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

SO….. H/G H/R H/L H/D
Since people have been asking me if I know of other 'Harry is a girl' stories I thought I'd let yall know that someone just put this story in a community with another canon rewritten 'Harry is a girl' story. It's K+ The series looks abandoned. I'm not going to read it so I won't be tempted to mooch ideas. Titled Arielle Potter: Book One and Book Two. It looks like Snape is presented as a good guy all around, rather than just a good man very very deep down… which I can't bear to read. : (
Thanks for reading everyone.
Chapter 9: The Grecian
Hearts shatter apart. Souls burn together.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Ron slid open the heavy door to the last cabin Hermione had assigned him to search.
"-can't believe you like Neville, Vati!" squealed a voice with a slight Desi accent as the silencing charm fell away.
A similar voice retorted bitingly, "Just because he never played with you when we were-"
The compartment's occupants, Lavender, Parvati, and Parvati's rather reserved looking twin-sister that Ron could never remember the name of, abruptly stopped their conversation at the sight of him.
"R-Ron," stammered Lavender, cheeks turning pink. "… Ummm…" She threw him a wonky little smile and leaned forward, folding her arms tightly across her large chest. "Hi there," she said heavily.
For some odd reason, Parvati and her twin burst into giggles.
What's that about? "Oh… hullo. I just wanted to ask… Have either of you seen Harry or my sister?" Ron held his hand up at a spot just below his shoulder and said, "She's about yea high… bright red hair… freckles all over… amber brown eyes? Hermione, Neville, and I can't find either of them anywhere."
The girls shook their heads, grins fading at his rather frantic tone. Ron sighed, slumping against the doorframe. Harry… Gin… where the bloody hell are you?
"Ron, are you alright?" asked Lavender with genuine concern.
"What? Oh… yeah, I'm alright; just worried." Ron took a good look at the girl that Quirrell had destroyed… and restored. She seems okay. Good, even. "H-How about you? Is everything okay… you know, since…" He trailed off and felt his ears burn. Not a great thing to be asking. "Er… sorry; none of my business. Well, thanks anyway."
He let the door slide shut and walked back down the narrow hall of the train. A few steps in the opposite direction later and the compartment door he had just shut banged open. "Ron, wait," cried Lavender, hurrying over to him.
In a moment of what Ron would later call 'fuzzy haziness,' he found himself being snogged. Thoroughly.
After a few seconds of devouring his lips, Lavender pulled away, blushing furiously. "I just… I just wanted to say thank you for helping Harry get him. I heard what you did down there. I was… really amazed. You're… you're a hero."
Ron mouthed a bit like a fish out of water, staring blankly at the girl in shock. She nodded decidedly and rushed back into her compartment.
He managed to pick his jaw up off the floor to head back to his own cabin.
Even though Harry had told him she hadn't done it on purpose, Ron still hadn't been able to forget about the other day when she had almost kissed him; when I almost kissed her back. Adding this on top of it… it was making his brain ache.
Ron slid into the small room. Hermione was back in the compartment as well... without Harry and Ginny. As he sat down next to her, she sighed heavily and muttered, "No luck then?"
"I just got snogged."
"What does that have to do-" Hermione's eyes suddenly bulged and she screamed out, "YOU WHAT?"
Ron nodded and sank down into the chair, his mind reeling. "Snogged."
Hermione's face went through various expressions of shock, denial, disappointment, and anger before she flew into a rage and proceeded to scream at him at the top of her lungs for 'not caring about finding Harry,' and being 'a typical male.' Now, as much as he liked her singsong voice, being screamed at for something that he had had no control over wasn't going to be one of the things that kept her angry at him for days. And so… he stood up, grabbed her by the shoulders, and pulled her into a hug. He whispered into her hair, "Calm down already… it wasn't my fault."
She beat against his chest, struggling to free herself from his embrace. He held on tightly. He would have let her go had she still been screaming at him… but she wasn't screaming anymore… she was crying.
"M-Mione… what's wrong?" Merlin she smells good. Toffee apple.
Hermione shook her head once her tears had slowed to a light stream and stuttered, "N-Nothing. I don't… I don't know why I'm..." She pawed at his chest gently, looking up at him with a trembling lip. "Wh-Who?"
"Oh… Lavender. She… well she acted a bit odd, and then she snogged me… I didn't snog her mind you. She said she wanted to thank me for what I did against You-Know-Who… even though we both know that was you and Harry."
Hermione, tears abated, touched his chin. "No… You made the biggest sacrifice that day, Ron. I-I thought you were dead." She squeezed his waist. "I missed you and Harry so much this summer. You're my… well, two days together… it wasn't enough."
Ron let go of her and sat back down. "Do you want to come over next summer then? For a little bit… or… or however long you want to stay… or something?"
Hermione nodded rapidly and sat down next to him, her big chocolaty eyes fixed upon his own. "I'm sorry I yelled."
Ron shrugged, grinning. "Used to it."
"Hey!"
He raised his arms in defense and added quickly, "Only joking! Only joking! Although… we do argue a bit I suppose."
Hermione nodded, "Recent studies show that couples who have light arguments generally have happier relationships than those that don't."
"Couples?" asked Ron, his ears heating rapidly. Is she… Does she…
"Oh! Oh… no! No no no no," she said in embarrassment.
Five 'No's?
Hermione continued, her tanned skin flushing red. "I meant it in… in terms of compatibility… for… for friendship of course."
"Oh… well, you could have sad that." Five 'No's… honestly.
"Well I… I didn't, did I?" Hermione muttered stubbornly.
"Why not?"
"Because that wasn't the study, Ron."
"Well… the study is a bit of bollocks then, isn't it Mione?"
"Just because-" But Hermione stopped herself short. Breathing deeply, she straightened out her annoyed expression and said to him rather curtly, "I assume you didn't find Harry and Ginny?"
Ron felt a little deprived when she brought their argument to a close. It was like she had ended a chess game early. "No… I didn't. I can't stop thinking about them either."
Hermione fidgeted and smoothed down her school skirt.
"What if something happened, Mione?"
Before she could answer him, the compartment door slid open. Neville slouched inside, shoulders slumped. "Couldn't find them anywhere."
Heavy sickening dread filled Ron's chest."What if… what if You-Know-Who got them?" Oh Merlin. Harry… Gin… please, be alright.
Hermione touched his arm lightly. "I'm sure they're fine, Ron. They probably just missed the train. Your parents will take care of them."
"Y-yeah," Ron sighed in resignation, "probably right." He sat back and watched the bluffs roll by through the window.
The train ride was relatively uneventful. Hermione had fallen asleep on his shoulder, Neville had gone off to talk to a seventh year about Herbology, Seamus and Dean had popped in for a quick gab, and Parvati had walked by the compartment far too many times for it to be a coincidence. Yet that was it.
He spent the ride thumbing through his chocolate frog cards. He, like all good collectors, had them alphabetized.
Gondoline Oliphant (1720-1799) was a witch made famous for studying the life and habits of trolls. In 1799, she was clubbed to death in the Cotswolds while sketching.
Gregory the Smarmy was a medieval wizard. He invented Gregory's Unctious Unction, a potion that makes the drinker believe that whoever gives them the concoction is his or her best friend. Gregory allegedly wormed his way into King Richard's confidence and thus made his fortune.
Gwenog Jones (b. 1968) is the famous captain and beater of the Welsh all-female Quidditch team, the Holyhead Harpies.
Ron's heart gave a little jolt as he pulled out the next picture. You better be alright.
Harriet Potter (b. 1981) is the first witch to have survived the Killing Curse, thus earning her the title "The Girl Who Lived."
Heathcote Barbary (b. 1974) is a rhythm guitarist for the popular band The Weird Sisters.
Professor Helga Hufflepuff was a witch of Medieval times. She popularized the use of the wand over the staff and was one of the four founders of Hogwarts School of Witchraft and Wizardy. She gave her name to one of the school's four houses. The students of her house are described as loyal and hard-working. It is unknown when she died. Helga's portrait remains at Hogwarts.
Hengist of Woodcroft was a medieval wizard. Hengist founded the village of Hogsmeade in medieval times after being driven from his home by Muggle persecutors. Popular rumour suggests that he used the Three Broomsticks Inn as a home and fortress.
Herpo the Foul was an Ancient Grecian Dark Wizard. He is one of the earliest known Dark Wizards and his work is still a lasting aspect of dark magic to date. He is best known as the first wizard to hatch a Basilisk. Herpo is reputed to have invented many vile curses and is the first Parseltongue in recorded history.
It's… it's You-Know-Who's magic… not hers.
Ignatia Wildsmith (1227-1320) was a wizarding inventor and the creator of Floo Powder.
They pulled into Hogsmeade Village and Ron gently tried to shake Hermione awake.
She moaned and whacked weakly at his offending hand, still clutching to the edges of sleep. "Five more minutes, Mum."
Ha. I do that too. "Mione… wake up. We're here."
Her chocolaty eyes opened halfway and she smiled at him suggestively, leaning forward… and then… her eyes opened all the way.
Awake, alert, and two inches from his face, Hermione let out a mighty shriek and pushed him back roughly into a wall.
"Oi!" he cried indignantly rubbing his head where it had hit the seat. "You fell asleep on me, you mad bat!"
Her face fell. "Oh Ron, I'm sorry," muttered Hermione guiltily. "I didn't mean to. I was just startled."
Girls. Are. Ridiculous.
They made their way out of the train and over to the carriages. The second the horseless buggies came into sight, Hermione screamed and grabbed his arm. "Ron! Don't go any closer!" She was staring in terror at the carriages.
"What? Why not?"
Hermione danced around the clearing, pulling people away from their transport to the school. "There are monsters all around us! Everyone!Stop! What are you doing? Can't you see-"
Susan Bones came over to Hermione and put a consoling arm on her shoulder. "Calm down," she said. "They're harmless. I don't think anyone here but you can see them."
"What?" gasped Hermione. "How is that possible?"
"My Aunty Amelia told me about the creatures that pull the carriages. They can only be seen by people who've witnessed a death first hand. They're supposed to be wonderfully gentle though… or at least, that's what she says."
She saw Quirrell die.
Ron put his arm around Hermione's shoulders and guided her to a carriage. Despite Susan's explanation, Hermione shied away from…whatever it was that invisibly pulled them.
"What did it look like?" asked Ron with an arm still around her as they trundled up towards the school.
Gripping his shirt tightly, Hermione shuddered and pushed her body against his side. "Like death."
When they arrived at the castle and entered the Great Hall, Ron's sense of dread grew. Harry and Ginny weren't sitting at the Gryffindor table as he had hoped they would be.
Please, please, please… be okay.
The sorting was agonizingly slow. When McGonagall finally reached the end of the list and called out 'Weasley, Ginevra,' no one approached the stool. The students in the hall started to titter with rumors and speculation. There was a small directed cough from the head table and Professor McGonagall walked over to the Headmaster. He whispered into her ear and the woman nodded, sitting down in her chair beside him.
Professor Dumbledore stood to give his customary beginning of term speech. "Welcome students to another year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I am rather sure this year will be a most splendid one. I'd like to remind everyone that the Forbidden Forest is off limits to all students. Professor Snape would like me to warn students that should his hair turn pink at any point in the year, he will exact most serious consequences on the entirety of his students. I ask you not to fret over our missing student and her companion. She will be arriving shortly to be sorted. "That being said, I would like to officially welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Gilderoy Lockha-"
Girlish squeals and shrieks from all around the hall cut the Headmaster off as Lockhart stood and bowed with a flourish. Hermione was clapping avidly. Ron glared at Lockhart. What a ponce.
"Yes yes!" shouted Professor Dumbledore, waving his arms for quiet. "A most avid welcome to you, Mr. Lockhart. So… before we tuck in to our welcoming feast, I bid you all to remember: Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus!"
On his final word, the castle rumbled… violently.
A split second later, a massive swirling pillar of multicolored flame erupted in front of Dumbledore with a BOOM. It was magnificent, the bluest blues twirled around the reddest reds. Orange danced with green. Pink sung with white. Ron could feel the heat of the fire from his seat all the way at the back of the hall. Song like he had never heard before echoed about the stone. It was a most beautiful and uplifting song. It filled his head; touched the fire of his heart; lifted his very soul.
And then it was gone as quickly as it had come.
Standing where the flame had just been… were Harry and Ginny, hair smoking lightly and looking windswept. A giant red bird sat on the black-haired girl's shoulder, trilling the beautiful song up to the ceiling of the Great Hall.
He would have been relieved had it not been for the large red stains that covered their bodies from head to toe. Ron leapt up and ran.
0000
0000
0000
0000
"Oh! Sorry!" said Harry as her cart lightly bumped into the ankles of a businessman who was hurrying rather recklessly for his train. He glared at her as if she had just committed some terrible offense but bustled off without a word.
For some reason, neither Ginny nor Harry had slept well over the last week and Harry was bloody tired; she could hardly keep her eyes open. Thus… she was overly clumsy. She had fallen down the stairs this morning, almost snapping her neck. A step had simply vanished and Harry hadn't seen the hole. Mrs. Weasley suspected it was the work of the ghoul, thinking that perhaps it had gotten a bit frustrated with the attic and ventured downstairs to make mischief.
Ginny too, was suffering from bouts of clumsiness. She had a large burn on the inside of her hand where she had placed it on a searing hot pan. Mrs. Weasley had healed it as best she could, but it was still bright red and slightly swollen. Ten minutes into their drive to the station this morning, Ginny had also realized she had forgotten the diary. Harry and Ginny had both pleaded that they go back for it. Even though it was Ginny's, Harry had become rather attached to it… and to Tom. Ginny would tell him about their lives as Harry watched over her friend's shoulder. He was a good friend… and rather charming if she said so herself.
The Weasleys, running extremely late, rushed towards the barrier that led to the platform as quickly as they could, with Harry and Ginny bringing up the rear.
After everyone else had made it through the wall, Harry turned to Ginny and asked happily, "are you ready for Hogwarts then, Gin?"
Ginny grinned in excitement. "Absolutely."
"Shall we run?" Harry grabbed her non burned hand and squeezed it.
"Yes… I think we shall." Even with dark circles under her eyes from lack of sleep, Ginny still managed to give her that blazing look that made Harry feel a thousand different good things at once. The redhead pulled her into a soft embrace and added in a whisper, "for old times' sake."
"Okay," replied Harry softly. "On three then." She let go of Ginny and placed her hands on her cart. "One," she said with a grin.
"Two," said Ginny, turning her own and pointing it at the barrier.
Harry took a deep breath. "Three."
They ran…
CRASH
"HOOT!"
Harry flipped over the rail of her cart and landed with a nasty thud on her trunk, knocking Circe's cage to the ground. The owl obviously didn't enjoy it.
Ginny too went flying as her trolley turned over on its side, causing her to tumble into the very solid barrier.
Muggles all around them shouted in shock at the terrible commotion the rattling carts made. A nearby station guard yelled out to them, "What in the blazes d'you think you're doing?"
Harry groaned in pain and waved the onlookers away. "Sorry! Lost control of the trollies, that's all!" She got up and ran to retrieve Circe, who was making a horrible fuss as her cage rolled down Platform Nine.
Ginny was gripping her head as Harry returned and lifted up the redhead's cart. Amber eyes squinted up at her in pain. Harry hated seeing that look on her face. Kneeling down, she brushed away the hair at the spot where Ginny's head had hit the wall. A large black bruise had already started to form. "Are you okay, Gin?"
Ginny shook her head no and leaned into Harry's chest. She didn't cry; she just shut her eyes tightly and clutched Harry's green long-sleeved T-shirt.
Harry leaned back against the still solid barrier and muttered, "Why can't we get through?"
"D-Dunno," gasped Ginny into her neck.
Harry watched the large station clock's minute hand move slowly toward eleven. 10:58… 10:59… 11:00… An imaginary train whistle blew in her head. "It's gone Gin. We missed it. Why did the bloody barrier close? It doesn't close if you're late… does it?"
Ginny shook her head again. "It can't have… None of the parents would be able to leave. You can't apparate inside and the only way in and out is the barrier."
"What should we do?" Harry asked fretfully. "Wait?"
"I… I guess." Ginny replied, cradling her head. "Harry… this hurts so bad… can you heal it?"
"No I… I don't know how. It's not in any of the second year curriculum." Harry however, had a flash of brilliance as she said it. "I know something that might help though. Wait here."
Making sure no one was watching, she pulled out her wand and whispered, "Apparo." Several coins dropped out of thin air. She got up and went over to the convenience shop in the center of the station. The pounds in her hand looked and felt real enough. She hoped the store clerk at the front of the line would put them in the register right away so he didn't see them disappear a few minutes later.
Harry walked back to Ginny with a bottle of aspirin in hand. She sat back down and whispered, "Here take two of these. This is muggle medicine… it might help." The redhead gulped down the pills and put her head down in Harry's lap.
In ten or so minutes, Ginny was indeed feeling better and praising the wonders of aspirin and muggle genius. They settled on the bench where they had first met each other in order to comfortably wait for Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.
Unfortunately for them, the barrier stayed solid. At least five hours had passed and no change. Harry removed her hand from the wall and trooped morbidly back to the bench.
"I am hungry sspeaker. Do we have ssusstenance?"
"I have nothing Alice. I'm sorry." Harry was willing to use the money trick to get medicine, but she wasn't going to use it for food. She rubbed the little snake through her shirt and hissed "We can fly back home for…" Harry trailed off mid-hiss. We can fly.
"GINNY!" she yelled frantically, rushing over to the girl sleeping on the bench. "Gin, get up! We can fly! We can take my Nimbus!"
Ginny awoke and upon hearing her suggestion, grinned widely, jumping up in excitement. "We can follow the tracks! Why didn't I think of that?"
Harry threw her arms around Ginny's neck and whispered in her ear, "Because you're an ickle firstie!"
"Twit," retorted Ginny, swatting Harry's bum in annoyance. "Come on, let's change into our clothes and find someplace to take off."
All the stalls in the loo were taken and when one finally opened, Harry grabbed Ginny and pulled her swiftly inside. They changed as quickly as they could in the tiny space. Harry refused to wear her bra for the rest of the day. It was the most annoying and restricting piece of clothing she had ever worn. She sneakily placed it upon Ginny's head… well… not so sneakily she supposed, as Ginny had immediately felt it and growled playfully, "take that off me or it's the knees for you, Potter."
They were able to find a small abandoned park in Islington where they could safely take off without being seen. Harry unlatched the hook of Circe's cage, then shrank and performed the featherweight charm on their luggage. While Ginny spent her time talking with Tom, Harry would perfect the spells in A Standard Book of Spells: Grade 2.
Slipping everything into her pocket, she reached up to stroke Circe. "Alright girl… off to Hogwarts." The owl nipped her ear affectionately and took off from Harry's head with a great buffet of her large wingspan.
Harry picked up her Nimbus and mounted it. Tutting, Ginny slipped onto the broom in front of her and said cheekily, "I'm driving. You'll get all excited and you'll start doing loops and hairpin turns."
Harry chuckled guiltily and slid her arms around Ginny's trim waist. "Come on, Gin. Just a few barrel rolls."
Ginny grinned. "Maybe a few. She kicked off the ground and they shot upward into the air.
Fifty feet. One hundred feet. Two hundred. Three hundred. Six hundred. They sailed up and beyond the newly built Canary Wharf Tower. They must have been a thousand feet in the air before Ginny felt it was safe to head back to King's Cross.
Harry rubbed Ginny's stomach and yelled out over the wind, "Don't go down too low… I can find the tracks if I augment I think. They're scarlet. I'll be able to pick them out."
She flipped the Hourglass.
Ginny's sweet smelling strawberry hair beat against her face like hammer blows as it whipped in the wind; the lining of the redhead's knickers brushed against the fabric of her own; Harry's center rubbed against the shaft of the broomstick. Everything was arousing her immensely and she needed to find the tracks quickly before she lost control. She scanned the ground that was inches from her face as heat built between her legs quicker than it ever had before. "I see them," panted Harry heavily spotting a long stretch of scarlet. "That way."
Ginny shot off in the direction Harry pointed.
And Harry came as the broom lurched. She closed her eyes and pressed herself against Ginny's back, trying to stay as silent as possible as she rode out the blissful explosion. Strawberries danced on the tip of her tongue; her face flushing red as wave after wave pulsed through her body. A little moan escaped her lips, falling into Ginny's blouse. "Gi… R-Ron."
"What?" shouted Ginny above the wind.
"N-Nothing," Harry yelled back to her. "I… I said go faster." Shaking her head, she returned her magic to her core, her body still shuddering from the aftermath.
They flew for hours and the sun was beginning to set, it's bottom edge hovering on the edge of the horizon. "Gin," mumbled Harry, "let's land and put robes and cloaks on. I'm freezing and we'll have to fly low anyway to see the tracks in the dark."
Ginny nodded and dove slowly down to land in a nearby forest.
"Do you think the train is at school yet?" asked Ginny sadly as she pulled on her robe. "Will I miss the sorting?"
Harry shrugged her own robe on and re-shrank their trunks. "The train arrived last time right when it went dark. So they should be there by now." said Harry, gesturing up at the now dark blue sky. "I'm sure the hat can still sort you though even if we do…" Harry trailed off. She was sure it had not been her imagination. Two tennis-ball sized green eyes had been staring out at them from the bushes. "Dobby," she breathed.
Then, it made sense. House elves are powerful. I'd bet my broomstick he did it.
"Dobby?" asked Ginny confusedly.
Harry pointed towards the bushes. "I just saw him! He must have closed the barrier. He's trying to stop me from going back!"
Ginny gasped and pulled out her wand, shouting into the night sky, "Dobby! Come out here!"
There was a moment of silence… and then…
CRACK
It wasn't, however, the sound of Dobby appearing into view.
It was the rather nasty sound of wood splitting in twain.
Harry saw the movement in the darkness. "NO! GINNY! MOVE!"
Ginny's eyes widened… but she stood still. Harry dove for her as the thick tree fell in slow motion. She flew into Ginny and they tumbled backwards, feet brushing the side of the falling trunk as it crashed down into the undergrowth with a mighty boom.
A tiny breathy voice whispered in her ear, "Thanks Harry."
Harry nuzzled Ginny's neck. "Move next time you big dolt."
They both jumped as a squeaky high pitched voice cried out into the night, "Harry Potter must not go back to school!"
CRACK
Harry gasped as another fell towards them. A mighty gust of wind blew across the small clearing towards the tree. She saw it slow in its descent, and then it fell sideways… away from them.
Harry picked up her broom and cried, "DOBBY, STOP THIS! YOU'LL KILL US!"
CRACK
This time, Dobby popped into existence at her feet. His ears were bloody and he had bruises all over his body, obviously from punishing himself. "Harry Potter… must not… go back... to school," the elf wheezed, "`Tis not safe. Dobby must hurt Harry Potter so she will be sent home."
CRACK
The elf disappeared.
CRACKLECRUNCHCRACK
A massive tree, its trunk the width of ten human bodies, split at the base. It tipped ominously…
Pulse racing, Harry grabbed hold of Ginny's hand. Knowing that she could do it… that she had done it before… she disapparated with a loudpop.
When she reappeared, she was only thirty feet away.
Ginny, however… was not with her.
And neither… was Harry's right arm.
Blood splashed down her side in crimson torrents. Harry fell to the ground, screaming in pain and denial; in pain as both her shoulder and her missing arm, still clutched in Ginny's hand, sent waves of agony to her brain; in denial as the tree fell upon Ginny. My Ginny.
Amber eyes locked onto her own, blazing with... with everything. It was as if time itself had frozen; frozen for forever and ever. She had a lifetime to gaze into those bright gold flecked orbs.
Harry heard the most beautiful song. A song lamenting her Ginny; a song singing the praises of her life in the split-second the redhead had left before she was crushed.
But that split-second turned into a second.
And that second turned into another second… and another… and another. Amber eyes still stared at her.
Looking up, Harry saw that the tree really had frozen… just inches above Ginny's head! And the song… that beautiful song… was real. It was coming from somewhere above the trunk. The massive tree flew through the air and dropped a few hundred feet away. Harry was absolutely astonished when she saw what was carrying it. Fawkes, Dumbledore's loyal phoenix, the phoenix of their wands, had caught the tree with its talons. It trilled its beautiful song and soared back to them, landing on Harry's shoulder that lacked an arm. It pecked her on the head sharply, pointing with a talon to her dismembered arm. Then it squeezed her shoulder and pecked her on the head again.
Harry got the point. "Gin," whispered Harry, wincing. "I need my arm… I think he can heal it… can't you?" she asked the bird.
Fawkes gave her a look that clearly said, 'of course I can, you silly twat.'
Ginny burst into tears and ran to her, clutching Harry's arm tightly. She held it to Harry's body and they both watched in amazement as Fawkes cried tears onto the rather horrific wound. Her arm reattached itself, the bone and flesh sliding together smoothly.
When the arm was once again astoundingly functional, Harry pulled Ginny into a vice-grip hug. Ginny's belly heaved against Harry's as sobs wracked the girl's body. Harry clung to her for dear life. It felt as if Ginny could slip away like a bar of soap between her hands. She almost had. Oh Ginny.
Words couldn't describe how grateful she was to the phoenix… to Dumbledore.
CRACK
Another tree!
Talons latched onto Harry's shirt and all of a sudden, beautifully impossible flames swirled around her, licking her body, healing her aches and pains, restoring her blood, restoring her calm, and restoring her happiness.
0000
0000
0000
0000
The soothing flame cleared and Ginny found herself standing in a large brightly lit room. She was directly in front of a long table behind which sat twenty or so witches and wizards, two of whom she recognized, Albus Dumbledore and Gilderoy Lockhart. A sea of a few hundred teenagers sat behind her, all deathly quiet.
Hogwarts. Ginny looked up at the ceiling of the Great Hall; up at the night sky she had just been lying under moments ago.
A girl screamed.
The hall erupted with shouts and excited chatter.
A heavy body crushed into her.
A pair of arms wrapped around her tightly.
"What the bloody hell happened? Why are you both covered in blood?" said a voice in her ear.
She groaned. "Get off, Ron. I'm fine. Hug Harry... she went all… armless."
"Yeah," said Harry, "hug me."
He did just that.
Professor Dumbledore stood and cleared his throat, which amazingly carried over the noise of all the students in the hall. They quieted quickly. The Headmaster nodded in appreciation and said softly, "I believe we have one more student to sort. Miss. Potter, Mr. Weasley, if you would take you seats." He flicked his wand and the blood on their clothes vanished instantly.
Harry squeezed Ginny's shoulder and went to sit with Ron and Hermione.
The Sorting Hat was much too large for her head. It sank all the way down to rest on the bridge of her nose.
"Didn't I sort you already girl?"
Who's there? Who said that?
"I did of course."
Who are you?
"I rest upon your head."
Oh is this how it's done then? Well, I'm new… never been sorted.
"I was sure I had… oh my… oh yes… I see. How odd. How exceedingly odd."
What's odd?
"Nothing to be concerned about my dear. Just put it out of your mind… Aha. Do you get my joke? Now… there's only one place for you, Ginevra Weasley. It has to be GRYFFINDOR!"
Ginny heard Harry's squeaky cheer above the deafening roar of the Gryffindor table. She pulled the hat off and ran to her, smothering her in a hug the second she sat down. Ron gave her a rather unpleasant knuckle rub on her head, Fred and George shot off Fillibuster's Fireworks, and Percy shook her hand thoroughly. Ginny sighed happily, leaning against Harry's shoulder as the story that accompanied their miraculous fiery appearance was spread across the entire Gryffindor table and, by the intrigued looks she was getting from other tables, most likely across the rest of the hall.
"Apparated, wow Harry that's-"
"What does splinching feel-"
"I wish we could all fly instead of-"
"-the barrier closed you say? How-"
Harry was far more popular than she'd imagined. She didn't seem like the popular girl type… and she wasn't. But people were drawn to her none the less. That's being famous Harry Potter, I suppose.
Dinner was so good, it almost made her forget that she had been a hand's width away from dying. That elf had been fanatical enough in its effort to 'save Harry' that it didn't realize that it was going to end up killing her and the people around her. Well, when it comes back… I'll bloody tell it who's boss.
Colin, the boy they had met briefly in the wand shop, was taking pictures of them and talking so rapidly that his words slurred together into gibberish. His face was turning red. She put her hand on the boy's shoulder and said with a giggle, "Breathe."
He closed his mouth and nodded rapidly, inhaling and exhaling deeply.
On the way up to Gryffindor common room, she listened to Hermione's very longwinded explanation of why the staircases moved with a half smile on her face. Although Ginny had only met the girl twice, Harry and Ron had talked of her so much that she almost knew her as well as she knew her own foot. Hermione had taken to her too, she thought. They had got on rather well at both Harry's party and in Diagon Alley. They both shared a rather intense love for strawberry-and-peanut-butter ice cream. It was like they were friends by extension through Harry and Ron… which was nice.
Her elated feelings vanished however when she reached the first year girls' dormitory. It was half the size of Harry's dorm… and had only one bed.
"Yes," said Hermione sadly, peeking into the room. "You missed that bit. All the rest of your classmates are boys. There are six of them. Colin Creevey, Richard Coote, James Peakes, Jack Sloper, Andrew Kirke, and Terrance Fogharty."
Harry laughed and pulled out Ginny's things from her pocket. "How on earth did you remember that Mione?"
"Do you really need to ask that, Harry?" said Hermione with an eyebrow raised.
"Er… no suppose not. Gin… once you unpack, come across the hall with us."
Harry and Hermione left for their dorm and Ginny plopped down on the bed feeling slightly depressed at her lack of company. At least I have privacy and my own bathroom… and I always have Harry.
Do you? asked that annoying voice. How can you possibly be good enough for Harry Potter. You saw her at dinner. She's probably the most well liked girl in Gryffindor. What do you have that she can't find elsewhere?
She's my best friend! I love her!
So do they, the voice said snidely.
She loves me!
The little voice was cowed… for the moment.
Ginny was throwing her things haphazardly into the little chest of drawers and desk, when her hand fell upon the smooth black leather of the diary. She had a sudden urge to tell Tom everything that had happened that day, to tell him how she felt about Harry pushing her aside for someone better.
Taking out a quill, she lay down on the bed and began to write.
Hello Tom.
Hello Ginny Weasley.
Guess what? I'm in Gryffindor!
That is commendable.
What house were you in Tom?
I was in Ravenclaw.
Tom? Can I ask you a question?
I cannot stop you.
Have you ever felt like you're not good enough for someone?
No.
Ginny found that reply rather strange. Tom had always been very…agreeing.
Do you think I'm good enough to be Harry's friend?
Why would you not be? Self-doubt is weakness.
Well… she's famous. And popular. And smart. And beautiful I suppose… I saw at least four boys at dinner that missed their mouths with their forks as they stared at her.
Tell me… Why is she famous?
For defeating You-Know-Who when she was a baby of course! And she did it again just last year. He tried to come back you see. Everyone thought he was dead... but he apparently wasn't.
The diary didn't have a reply.
Tom?
Harry burst into the room and jumped on Ginny's lap. "How long could it possibly take to unpack, Gin? I know you don't fold laundry." She rolled off of her and buried herself within the covers of the four-poster. "Ready for bed?"
Ginny giggled at Harry's twinkling green eyes playfully peeking out from the coverlet. "Are we sleeping together still?"
"Don't see why not. No rules against it. We both sleep better together. Why fix something that isn't broken? A month of good sleep with you has made up for a lifetime of sleep in a cupboard with a coat rail." Harry reached out to her and Ginny slipped under the covers as well. "Your feet are cold," muttered Harry with a shiver. "Body heat thief.
Ginny giggled and purposefully tangled their legs together. "You stole my bacon this morning. It's only fair."
"I needed it," Harry mumbled obstinately, grabbing her arm and pulling it around her.
"Bollocks…" replied Ginny, whispering into her neck. "… piggy."
Harry laughed and squeezed her thigh. "Go to sleep you silly bugger.
"I'm not really tired…" she said softly. "Nearly dying gives you a lot of energy."
Harry stiffened. "I swear, next time I see Dobby he's going to see the not so wonderful side of Harry Potter." She turned over to face her, emerald pools filled with anguish. "I almost lost you, Ginny."
"But you didn't," whispered Ginny daintily, tweaking Harry's nose. The black haired girl let out a little satisfied grunt and Ginny couldn't help but grin. "Hey… can we go exploring under your cloak? I want to see the castle."
Harry moaned, "I'm sleepy."
Ginny shook her cajolingly and flashed her with large puppy-dog eyes. "Please Harry?"
Harry smiled and stuffed her head into the pillow. "Why can't I say no to you?"
"Because you love me?" asked Ginny.
"Oh yeah. I forgot."
"Git."
The castle was quiet as they snuck out of the portrait hole.
"Where should we go?" asked Harry.
"I dunno. Show me… show me your favorite places."
Harry laughed and several portraits mumbled about 'sneaky noisy students.' "Well, that could take all night. Come on."
They visited the library first. Harry led her up to the top floor to a large French window. Through it, she could see a large rose garden with roses of every color.
Harry leaned against the glass. "I came here a lot last year when I couldn't cast. Even though we're on the top floor, it looks like we're on the ground. I tried to fly to it… but there's nothing there."
Ginny wasn't about to break Harry's illusion by telling her that it wasn't real, merely a simple illusion charm. It is pretty though.
Next, Harry pulled her to four busts in the Charm's corridor that were snoozing on their pedestals. "Watch this," said Harry happily. "Ahem. Boys… can we have a round please?"
The bust of a bald old man with a very large mustache awoke and said in a deep full voice, "It's a bit late, but I suppose I can rouse the fellows for you, Miss Potter. Men! Attention!" The three other busts awoke, huff-puffing indignantly at being awoken at this hour. "In C boys."
The four statues broke into song… a barbershop quartet to be exact.
"Lida Rose, I'm home again, Rose,"
"To see the wand light in your eye."
"Lida Rose, I'm home again, Rose,"
"About a thousand Potions shy."
"Ding dong ding."
"I can hear the Augury cry."
"Ding dong ding."
"At the least suggestion I'll pop the question."
"Lida Rose, I'm home again, Rose."
"Without a Galleon to my name."
"Lida Rose, now Merlin knows,"
"That I am hoping you're the same."
"So here is my love song, not fancy or fine."
"Lida Rose, oh won't you be mine."
"Lida Rose, oh Lida Rose, oh Lida Rose."
Ginny and Harry clapped avidly. "That was your best one yet!" crooned Harry. "Thanks boys. Distract Filch for us would you?" She grabbed Ginny's arm and pulled her back beneath the cloak.
They stopped at a bathroom next. "I came here when I needed someone to wallow with." Harry said, embarrassed. "The ghost inside… she cries all the time." Ginny followed Harry in. The floor was soaked and the entire room smelled like… ghost. "Myrtle! Are you here?"
There was a short pause of silence and then a small voice from inside one of the stalls sobbed out, "Go away."
"Come on Myrtle. It's me, Harry."
A ghostly head with pigtails and very large round glasses stuck itself through the wooden door. "Oh," said the head with a sniffle. "It is you. I thought you were Olive Hornsby come to taunt me about my glasses again."
"You've got to let it go Myrtle," said Harry promptly. "You'll never get to the other side if you don't. I'm sure that's what's keeping you here. And besides, I like your glasses, they're a bit like mine."
Myrtle nodded but caught sight of Ginny. The ghost zoomed out of the stall to hover nose to nose in front of her. "Who's this? Come to have a laugh at me have you?"
"N-No," stuttered Ginny. "Harry is showing me around the castle."
Myrtle harrumphed.
"You actually like going in there?" whispered Ginny once they were outside the bathroom again.
"Yeah… Myrtle takes a bit of getting used to… but there's something intriguing about her… I don't know what… shite!" Harry froze and pointed to a black cat that was staring directly at them from a window sill. "Mrs. Norris. She can smell us under the cloak!"
Ginny liked cats but even she had to admit that this one looked rather unpleasant. They quickly ran from the ugly thing, darting down hallways and ducking into passages behind tapestries. There was a rather large door at the end of this corridor… which they had surely passed through before. Ginny didn't remember a door being there.
They tore into the room and slammed the thick door behind them. Ginny leant against the wood, trying to catch her breath.
The cluttered hall they had just emerged into was... large. She gasped as the sheer magnitude of the room's size truly dawned on her. It was easily twice as big as the great hall. What's more… is that it was filled to the brim with… junk. Broken furniture, spell damaged furniture, flying furniture, flying catapults, fanged Frisbees, chipped bottles of congealed potion, silverware, broken shells, rusting weapons of every kind, an enormous stuffed troll, hats, gaudy jewels and robes, a turntable that was still skipping, and thousands upon thousands of books.
And that was just what was right in front of her
"Merlin!" breathed Ginny. "Where are we?"
Harry pulled off the cloak, reached out, and spun a pinwheel which shot bubbles from its tips. "No idea… but this place is amazing." Running down an aisle, she snatched up a blonde wig and tiara from the bust of an extremely ugly wizard. She sat it on her head and twirled around. "Look Gin, I'm Princess Di!"
"Who?" asked Ginny curiously.
Harry laughed. "Never mind. Come on let's explore."
They perused the aisles separately, yelling for the other whenever they found something interesting. Harry had already discovered a bureau full of beautiful Victorian dress robes that they had tried on for each other. Ginny wondered why anyone would ever throw away something so fine.
Listening to Harry bang around in the next aisle, she squeezed between two mountains of furniture, trailing a hand over a row of beat-up transfiguration textbooks.
Her breath caught in her chest.
Towering above her, standing on two very large clawed feet… was a mirror. 'Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi,' was carved across the top of the golden frame.
She stepped up to it.
Amazingly… it was not her own reflection she saw.
Two women... two very beautiful older women occupied the spot where her own image should have been. They were… starkers. A redhead stood in the back, arms wrapped around the waist of a black-haired woman. The redhead had one hand buried in between the other woman's legs, fingers swirling furiously, while the other hand kneaded a breast.
A high-pitched scream of agony tore her attention away from the mirror.
Ginny's heart started to beat frantically. "Harry?"
She threw herself down the aisle, her legs feeling heavy as lead as she pumped them furiously. There was a passage into the neighboring aisle between a very large smiling mask and a giant broken umbrella.
Harry's screams became ever more terrible to hear when Ginny saw her. She was strapped into a blackened golden throne, thrashing, blood pouring from her nose and mouth. Her twinkling green eyes had turned a violent red… the most terrible, terrible red.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Severus jumped as the scream echoed down the lengths of the chamber.
That sounds like…
He leapt up from the ratty armchair in which he had been sitting, threw down the tattered book of old potions recipes in which he had been browsing, and ran towards the source of the sound… hoping… hoping he could see her one last time.
He rounded the corner.
He saw red hair… but it wasn't hers.
He saw her face, bloody, contorted in pain… but it was on the wrong person; it was on a girl he despised as much as the source of the seed that begot her.
He saw… red eyes; eyes he had not seen in eleven years save for in his dreams.
The Weasley girl cried out to him, clutching uselessly at the red hot metal snakes that held Potter in place; her hands were sizzling and blistering; tears of pain and rage and helplessness careened down her cheeks in torrents. "PLEASE! HELP HER! PLEASE!" Potter's screams intensified and the redhead screamed with her as her hands caught fire. "NO! HARRY!"
Severus shot water everywhere, putting out the fires that were erupting on both girls.
Before he had even attempted to release Potter from the chair, her screams stopped, the snakes retreated, and the girl fell forward onto the floor with a thud.
The Weasley girl crawled toward Potter on her elbows as her hands were nearly burnt away to the bone. She nuzzled her head on the shoulder of the other girl and said weakly, "Harry?"
Potter looked up at Weasley and Severus gasped. Her eyes were still blazing red. She spoke in a deep unholy voice. "Little bitch. Elope with a Peverell? I killed you once... I'LL DO IT AGAIN!"
0000
0000
0000
0000
Harry walked along the aisle curiously fiddling with anything that looked remotely interesting. She picked up a wand that disappeared as soon as she tried to cast a spell with it. That's a good trick. I should tell Fred and George.
Harry turned, took a step, and almost tumbled over a chair in the middle of the path. Surely that wasn't there a moment ago. It seemed incredibly old and it had obviously been through a fire or two. She ran a finger over the inscription on the head rest.
Που μοιÏάζÎ 81;ται το δώÏο μου θα κληÏονÎ 91;μήσει το ÏŒÏαμά μου.
The lettering was in what she thought to be Greek… if she was correctly remembering her history classes at Stonewall Primary School.
As soon as her hand reached the edge of the inscription, the first letter bent over to the side… and then a second started to bend… and then a third. The metal went white hot and she pulled her finger back quickly. The entire chair was twisting like molten metal, growing and reshaping.
When the metal settled, a mighty golden throne sat before her. Around its decorative frame, golden snakes twisted together, eating each other's tails. Bright red jewels were inlaid into their eyes.
Harry saw a new inscription on the frame. It was in a language she had never seen, but for some reason, could understand.
Parselmouth, ye of my line, child of ancient Hades. Inherit my vision if you can withstand the dark. Become my vassal… and destroy the traitors to the dark throne.
The snakes came alive, darting out to wrap around Harry's limbs. They pulled her down into the throne so quickly that she didn't have any time to struggle or yell.
The world around her went black.
Harry floated in the abyss, drifting through nothing. She was nothing. The dark sank into her mind like an anvil in water. It surrounded her, suffocated her, and consumed her. The dark was forever and ever.
Until she saw a light…
A single solitary light.
A magnificent spiraling light, beating away the dark.
It was so familiar… and yet, so foreign and strange and… unreachable.
As if someone had flipped a switch, the dark was replaced with sunshine.
"I say no," yelled Pericles, "as I have said before!" The echo of his voice bounced around the walls of the Senate chamber. "There shall be no temple to Hades in Athens!" The man spat upon the floor after saying the name. "A creation of such blasphemy towards mighty Zeus would destroy us… destroy the Delian league. You shame yourself by asking for it."
The other Archons grumbled their agreement.
Harry stood, twirled her staff, slammed it down upon the ground and hissed, "come to me, Prime."
"I come, Masster." The earth beneath them rumbled and her Prime broke through the stone floor, sending withered white robed men flying. The basilisk coiled around her protectively, eyes shut tight. "What do you wissh of me, Masster?"
"Herpo!" cried Socrates. "Send your beast back to the Underworld! It has no place here."
"You have broken your promise yet again, you filthy Giftless plebes!" yelled Harry viciously. "You came to me… groveled at my feet… begged me to save you from the Persian horde… and still you refuse me? The darkness must be appeased! The gods acknowledge that my payment has been refused… so I shall take that payment by force. I shall take it from your flesh!" She placed her hand on top of her Prime's head and hissed with a satisfied grin, "Kill them. Leave one survivor to spread the tale."
"Yess masster." The basilisk opened its eyes and three of the Senators dropped dead instantly. It lunged and tore another two in half with its fangs. Blood sprayed everywhere, soiling the pearly white robes of Athens' oldest men.
"Let this be a lesson, Giftless!" Harry laughed maniacally as the Senator's ran for their lives. They were quickly pulled back by her Prime, dying terrible deaths as it devoured them, piece by bloody piece. "Those who cross Herpo the Black shall meet their bloody ends by venomous fang!" She turned and walked out of the building, leaving her Prime to finish its work.
Harry strolled down the cobbled street of the Agora, sandals slapping against the stone, blinking rapidly as the sun was reflected off white marble into her eyes. How dare they… my snakes saved this city from Xerxes' filth and this is how they repay me…
No… she certainly wasn't in a good mood.
Feeling rage like she had never felt, Harry slapped a young slave girl across the face with the back of her jeweled hand as the little thing walked past. Her small head slammed into a column, leaving a large red stain as she slid down it. Most likely dead… but it doesn't matter, does it? She tossed a coin onto the girl's stomach in penance to the gods for damaging another man's property.
Harry reached her destination. She glared up at the effigy of Zeus and slammed her staff once again upon the ground. The statue cracked down the middle and split apart, leaving in its place an effigy of The Black God Hades.
"Death to the Giftless," she whispered spitefully. "I so swear it upon your name Hades. I shall dedicate my life to eradicating the swine. Grant me power... power to end the filth."
Harry disapparated back to her villa in Corinth, feeling the need to find one of her slave girls and fuck her anger out.
The world around her went black.
Darkness spun around Harry attacking her from all sides, but the spiral of light protected her; shielded her.
Harry took her… brutally. When she relented and withdrew, the bleeding girl beneath her moaned miserably, got up, and ran.
"Avita Kitavra!" Harry cried, pointing her staff at the last princess of Sparta. The burst of green light slammed into the terrified young woman and she fell to the ground… most assuredly dead.
Grinning, body singing with the power of the curse, she drew her staff across her own chest, cutting into the flesh; cutting down to the bone; cutting her very soul.
There was pain. Intense pain. But everlasting life was more important than a few moments of agony.
Harry clutched the small wooden horse tightly in her palm.
The world around her went black.
Darkness tore at her flesh, digging hooks into her skin, but the spiral of light kept her in one piece.
Salazar opened the green leather bound book and flinched as Kariel bit down on his arm, paper fangs sinking into his skin. Harry watched him seize in amusement as her venomous knowledge flowed into the boy. Weakling.
"Get up," she hissed in a deadly whisper from her golden throne. "Do not fail me as you did your father. Now… cast it."
Salazar raised his wand and mumbled, "Avata Katavra."
The rabbit was engulfed in the green glow… and went merrily sniffing away at a carrot.
"Idiot child! Again." She could feel the boy glaring daggers at her back. She could taste his hate in the air… and she savored it. "Use it boy. Use that spite. Stop casting like a Giftless Muggle."
"Avata Katavra!" the boy screamed.
The green light slammed into her turned back. She felt her soul being ripped away… and she died… quietly… without a word.
Wooden horse in hand, Harry's freshly possessed homunculus stepped out of the pantry as naked as the day she was born. The boy, face still frozen in glee at her death, wand still raised, shrieked and ran for the door when he saw her. With a flick of her hand, it was locked and bolted. She summoned the clothes and wand from her dead body. "Better, Salazar. Now… do it again. If you… miss… the rabbit, I will cut out your tongue."
"Y-Yes Master Merwyn."
The world around her went black.
Darkness crept into her mind, but the spiraling light ripped it back out.
She awoke with a gasp, struggling to free herself from the invisible binds that held her to the bed.
"Good afternoon Grandfather," said Antioch pleasantly. "Don't mind us. We're just nipping off with our share of the family fortune. Can't let it all go to you filthy Gaunts, now can we?"
Ignotus laughed. "Yes… and don't bother calling your snakes either. They're dead." He held up a mythril axe and a rooster. Harry's insides seethed with rage.
Cadmus patted Harry on the cheek and slid the Death Stone out from beneath her pillow. "I'll finally see my wife again," he said with anguish. "You took her away from me you son of a whore… and now I'm taking her back." Cadmus sent a bone-breaker into her jaw.
Speech was difficult with a shattered jaw. "Bastard Peverells. Your mother... was scum... that married a dirty Muggleborn. I relish the day I strangled her. You're no grandsons of mine!" Harry spat blood in his face and wandlessly conjured a knife which she banished at him.
Antioch knocked it away with Harry's wand; the wand she herself had crafted from the heartstring of her first Prime basilisk. "Now Now Grandfather, that's no way to treat family." The two other boys laughed cruelly and Antioch grinned. "Let's find that Horse, boys."
Harry's eyes widened. How could they know? "Get out," she said heavily. "I'll find you-"
Antioch growled and cut Harry's leg off at the knee with a flick of the wand.
Harry refused to cry out.
"You don't you get it… do you, Malvolus? Or… is it Merwyn the Malicious? Or is it Emeric the Evil? Or is it Herpo the Foul?" Antioch sat on the bed and twirled her elder branch wand between his fingers. "It was clever… pretending to be so many of the world's darkest, never stirring up enough trouble to start a war; always 'defeating' yourself under a new name. But all your evils are about to catch up to you… we know your secret. Two thousand years is far too long for any one man to live. And by Merlin… you of all people need to die. You killed our mother… your own daughter. You will meet your end tonight, Herpo."
"My sons will kill you," Harry whispered in rage. "My line will hunt you and your families forever."
"Most likely," laughed Ignotus. "Yet… it will be worth it to see you dead and gone… found it! Put it under his cloak, the clever bastard."
Harry watched in fury as her small wooden horse was pulled out from under her invisibility cloak. Ignotus drew out a long thin fang and thrust it into the center of the horse. The wood cracked and a scream echoed from its depths.
Antioch smirked. "Goodbye Grandfather…" He raised the wand.
Harry felt… fear.
"Avada Kedavra!"
Harry saw the green curse flying at her in slow motion, she quickly Astraled into the throne room, enchanting the seat to tell her story; to lead her heirs to her killers; to keep her mind alive in the gold.
Harry screamed. Pain beyond pain. Heat beyond heat. She died; she died a thousand times, and a thousand times again. She burned in the green fire. Her eyes seared with unimaginable heat as the darkness overtook her. It crashed through the spiraling light, shattering it like glass, filling her with two-thousand years worth of rage and hate.
"Harry?" moaned a week voice.
She looked up. She saw amber eyes… eyes just like her daughter's.
"Little bitch," spat Harry. "Elope with a Peverell? I killed you once. I'LL DO IT AGAIN!" She lunged for the neck of the girl, hands closing around soft flesh. She squeezed, choking the air and the life out of her ungrateful spawn.
"POTTER?" cried another voice.
She felt something slam into her side and suddenly she could no longer keep her eyes open.
The darkness trickled away, as if sucked through a drain. The spiraling light appeared once more, soothing her soul.
Harry awoke to the sound of soft voices and the smells of strawberries and extreme cleanliness. Hospital wing… Ginny. Blinking without her glasses, she tried to sit up, but her limbs were much too heavy. Instead, she tried to move her lips. "Gi-Ginny."
There was a scuffling sound of shoes turning quickly on stone, running footsteps, and a dipping of her mattress before she felt familiar arms slide around her. "I'm sorry," Harry whispered feverishly. "He was too strong."
Ginny shook her head and kissed her on the shoulder. Sliding Harry's glasses back into their proper place, she replied softly, "I know. You were possessed. He was still screaming from your mouth after Professor Snape knocked you out. Dumbledore forced him out of your head and into Professor Snape's… who killed him… or something. I knew it wasn't you… don't worry."
Harry clenched her eyes shut tightly, wrapping her arms and legs around Ginny, trying to block out the horrors she had seen Herpo perform. "Love you."
Ginny sat up and smiled. "Love you too."
Harry didn't hear her return the words however. She was staring intently at the large purple bruise that stretched across the width of Ginny's neck. "I did that..."
"No you didn't… some crazy bit of magic did that."
"I must agree with Miss Weasley, Harry," said Professor Dumbledore as he strolled down the aisle of the Hospital wing to her bed. "I myself do not think I could have rid you off that magic without Severus' helping hand. If someone were to tell me that a witch of age twelve overthrew the grip of a truly dark wizard, I would tell that person they were off their rocker. And coming from myself…" He smiled at her, eyes crinkled and twinkling. "…that is saying something."
"Thank you for getting it out of me, sir." Harry looked over to Snape, who was hovering some twenty feet away. I don't want to… but… "And… thank you as well Professor Snape, sir."
Snape seemed conflicted, like he wanted to be kind and scream at the same time. "You're… welcome, Potter." He managed to say at least one of the words dripping with his usual venom. Harry imagined from the face he had made that the other two had tasted sour in his mouth.
Harry nodded and the room fell into an extremely uncomfortable silence. The Headmaster whistled and excused himself to the toilet. Harry cocked her head at Snape and he swelled with whatever it was he swelled with. Hair Grease probably. "Detention Potter, for being out of bounds at night! You as well, Weasley." He swept from the room like the overgrown bat that he was.
Harry pulled Ginny back down into the bed. "Has Madam Pompfrey looked at your neck?"
Ginny shook her head. "After she fixed my hands she got started on you."
Not sure if she really wanted to know, Harry bravely asked, "What happened to your hands?"
Ginny winced. "They… they burned away… all the way to the bone."
Harry moaned and felt the horror build in her chest. "I'm… I'm s-"
Ginny quickly covered Harry's mouth with her fingers. "Don't apologize."
Harry turned her cheek into Ginny's hand and whispered, "Let's go to sleep… it must be nearly morning and I'll be damned if I'm going to miss the first day of class just because I was possessed by a two-thousand year old Dark Wizard from Ancient Greece."
"Two-thousand? Will you tell me what happened in the morning?" asked Ginny sleepily, slinging a leg overtop of her.
"Y-Yea-Yeah," Harry said with a yawn. "Sure thing."
The next morning, however, was not the time for a lie in. A schedule had appeared on her nightstand and she had double potions in... twenty minutes.
Ron and Hermione gave her dubious looks as she came to the dungeons with her hair a mess… or at least more of a mess than usual. "I'll explain later," she moaned, plopping down into the seat next to Hermione.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Severus was still reeling from having that thing inside his head. It wasn't a spirit, or a soul, or a mind… it was just hate and pure unadulterated rage, bundled together with horrific memories. It felt wretched. The second it had entered his mind he had had an overwhelming urge to murder the Weasley girl. He had disseminated it on the spot. Pulling apart the memories, cutting them up and sending them to a mouse he had found in the dungeon. It had promptly exploded.
He had siphoned off as much of the anger as he could into a potion that required high emotional states from the brewer. However, he entered his second year potion's class that morning still rather furious. He looked around the group of pathetic students. Not a single one of them besides Granger had any real sort of talent for the subject. Potter knew it all… but she was Potter and he wasn't about to pay her any form of compliment.
"Today," he whispered so the class had to lean forward to hear him, "we will be brewing our first antidote. At the end of class I will be poisoning each of you-"
"You're going to bloody poison us?" shouted the Finnegan boy in his obnoxiously heavy accent.
"I would take points from Gryffindor for your outburst Finnegan… but we are not yet even five minutes into the first class of term and thus Gryffindor has no points to take. So I think a detention is appropriate." Severus tried not to grin as the boy sat down low in his chair, looking miserable. "As I was saying… I will be poisoning each of you with a non-lethal toxin. You will treat yourself with your own antidote. If you are cured of the poison, you will achieve full marks. If I have to administer my own antidote to you… you will fail. It is a simple assignment. The recipe for the antidote is on the board. Follow them correctly, and there is no doubt you will pass."
As the students bustled about the room collecting ingredients, he sat back in his chair and glared at them all, the anger of the dark wizard bleeding through into his own neutral feelings. He quickly tried to compose himself; placing his wand on the desk in front of him before he gave in to the urge to shoot a cutting curse at Longbottom's face.
About half way through the class, he noticed that Potter had fallen asleep in the back of the room. Oh how he would enjoy giving her a zero. It was so rare that he found an occasion to do so. Weasley saw his feral smirk and stared nervously at the sleeping girl. He nudged Granger, who nudged Potter… who didn't wake up.
"Weasley… Granger… eyes on your potions. There will be time enough for nudging and footsies later." The two students blushed furiously and Severus turned to the board so he could hide his smirk.
At the end of the class he handed each student a small vial. He awakened Potter as rudely as he could with a rapid disillusionment charm and a finite incantem. The two spells were most unsettling if done in quick enough succession.
Potter looked miserable and tired. He almost felt pity for her and her ridiculous Potter hair... almost. He would make this short and sweet. "Potter... you first."
She shook her head. "My antidote isn't finished yet sir. I have to take a zero."
He grinned. "That remains to be seen Potter… take the poison and drink your antidote."
"Sir…" said Potter questioningly, "that could… that could rupture my stomach. I haven't added batwing or thistle. I'd rather take the zero."
"You will do as I say."
Potter glared at him with Lily's eyes and muttered, "No... I wont."
"What did you say?"
"I said I won't!" Potter tipped back her poison, vanished her antidote, walked over to the student's ingredient shelf, and pulled out a bezoar. She stomped back to her desk, looked him dead in the eye just as Lily used to when she was angry at him, and swallowed it whole. "There…" she said disgustedly. "I get full marks now."
He bristled at her cheek. "No you don't Potter… you get a zero."
"Thank you, sir. That will be fine."
She had deprived him of her embarrassment and her pain. "Another detention, Potter."
"For what?" she shouted, to the shock of the rest of the class. "You and I both know that antidote was going to eat through my intestinal lining and still you wanted me to drink it! What kind of teacher are you?"
No one made a sound. The girl was trembling in rage, accidental magic causing wind to blow her hair about every which way.
She even talks like Lily; shakes her hands like Lily; goes red like Lily.
"Fifty points from… detention for a week, Potter. I am a teacher and you will not speak to me that way!"
"Fine," she said with an annoyed laugh.
She laughed at him… and it stung… deeply… because it wasn't Potter laughing… it was Lily… this girl was so much like her. It sickened him. This wasn't over. I'll have the last word. "You're an arrogant toe-rag Potter. Just like your father. He thought he could-"
"Oh will you shut it about my Dad?" Potter screamed. Malfoy sniggered, Granger gave a weak little gasp, and Weasley groaned, putting his head down into his arms. "Yeah, alright… he was a berk to you in school. And you were a berk to him. But you know what? He's the better man. He let go of his grudge while you're still sitting here taking out your frustration on me when I've never done a bloody thing to you. How do you live with yourself… tormenting the kid of your best friend… just because she has hair that looks like her dad's? It's bloody bollocks that's what it is. Give me detention for a year, I don't care… but Merlin's Beard… Get over yourself!"
Severus stared at her open mouthed… He couldn't bring himself to say a single thing.
Potter gathered up her things and made for the door, but she stopped and spun back to face the class at the bottom step. She caught his eyes and sent him one final glare. "My mum left a message for you, Professor. She says she forgives you for whatever you did. I wonder what she would say now though… since she knows you're trying to hurt her daughter due to an idiotic grudge. She's always watching you know."
Potter stomped out of the classroom like a bull about to charge.
The students had already left for their next class by the time he was able to gather himself. She… she forgives me.
0000
0000
0000
0000
Check out my profile for a link to this story's Fan-Art page. Contains some NSFW content.
New art up.
Anyone can comment on art now. Didn't realize I had a filter on before.
Review! Ask me questions. I want to answer them.
looking for nitpicky betas-grammar specific
Quick and dirty chapter hot off the press. Just wanted to get this out there. I'm too tired to revise right now.
We'll learn more about the contents of Herpo's visions later.
Astraling will be discussed in a later book.