Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ After the End ❯ Glances into the past.... ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hermione didn't go see him as quickly as she thought she would, and the idea bothered her. She wasn't sure why she was thinking about him so much, other than their little chat about the things Harry and Ron had never told her and how it made her hate them a little, but other than that there wasn't a real reason. If she was honest with herself it had nothing to do with his good looks, but something else.

Maybe it was the expression in her eyes when he asked her to come again sometime. He had seemed almost desperate, although his face didn't reveal anything. He had mentioned how she had punched him in third year, meaning that they were the same age, but something about him was so much older than her, or anyone else she knew for that matter. If she hadn't figured it out then she would have easily assumed that he was twenty-six, or twenty-seven.

But what on earth would happen to a person that made them look older than they were? Certain experiances in life were harsher than others, but if she wasn't mistaken he probably hadn't a drop of happiness in his life. He looked so...so tired of...everything. It nearly broke her heart just to sit there and listen to him talk about her past in his low drawl, laced with bitterness.

Maybe that was the cause of her obsession with him. Maybe she wanted to find out what had happened to make Draco Malfoy look miserable.

She shoved another pair of jeans into the washing machine with a huff, then closed it and turned it on.

Not that she might have the chance to see him soon. She was working double at the library thanks to the new girl quitting, and finding a person to replace her eas tough. Not many people wanted to work in a library. Coupled with the fact that Ron was hounding her like crazy over her whereabouts that day. She could almost swear he was jealous of Draco, but the idea was ridiculous seeing as he had never known that she had been with Draco.

A quick glance at the clock told her it was nearly midnight. She had to be at work by six thirty, and she still had yet to shower or make a quick dinner. As well as waiting for the last load of clothes to wash so that she could stick them in the dryer for when she woke up in the morning. In all probability she wouldn't be in bed until two, if she could fall asleep that was. For some reason she had been feeling restless lately.

She whirled around and marched over to the bathroom.

oooooooooo

Draco Malfoy was ridiculously bored. For the past three hours he had been lying on the floor in his study, staring up blankly at the gray ceiling, and desperately trying to summon up the urge to do something. But alas, dull thing that life was, he still hadn't managed to think about anything besides the current state of the world, how much he really wished he had made an heir before the war so he could die in relative peace, and Hermione. Who hadn't shown up in four bloody days.

He rolled over on his stomach to stare at the carpet. He was bored. Truly, utterly, and undeniably bored. And the worse part of it was that the only things that could relieve his boredom were closed off to him. He couldn't work at the Ministry thanks to his connection with the dark lord. In fact anyone still roaming out there with a connection to Voldemort was banned from Ministry work for the next ten years. Quidditch was something that he still held an interest in, but unlike Weasley he had never wanted to become proffesional. It was a sport done for fun with friends. If he had had ay more friends that is.

And the Daily Prophet...well...If there was one thing Draco couldn't stand it was reporters, and working around a bunch of them, let alone being one was such a hporrifying idea that he literally got disgusted goosebumps.

After that there was nothing.

And it wasn't like he needed to work. He had enough money already. It was just being able to be normal for a bit. The very idea of normality taunted him like some beguiling siren. He would have something to do with himself if he worked, something to occupy his thoughts. And unfortunately he would have to see people everyday, watch them laugh and hug and cry and run about all happily.... He actually felt a bitter envy towards those couples he saw out on the street. They always looked so innocent, so happy...so normal. He was the one out of place. He was the oddity. The black spot on a white wall...

Draco Malfoy, reclusive freak extraordinaire.

He laughed aloud at that title.

Draco Malfoy, wealthy, handsome, utterly miserable bachelor with no idea what to do with his life other than wait for nothing to happen.

By Merlin he was pathetic.

The fireplace popped and he jumped in shock, quickly rolling over and sitting up to watch whoever it was make thier jolly way into his home. A woman stepped out wearing a white t-shirt and a pair of pajama bottoms with cocktail glasses all over them. Her hair clung in wet curls to her neck, the rest of it warring with itself as to whether or not it should lat flat, wave, or curl up in the beginnings of a frizzy mess. He breathed a sigh of relief he hadn't known he was holding.

"Hello Hermione."

oooooooooo

"Have any of you noticed a change in Hermione?" Ron said to no one in particular. He was currently walking in a park with Harry and Ginny, as well as a very drunk Neville Longbottom. They were all drunk actually, except for Ginny. Her pregnancy forbade any consumption of alcoholic beverages.

"Whaddya mean Ron?" Harry slurred out, his green eyes taking a second to focus on him.

"Avoiding us, never telling us when she's home, short answers, dissapointed looks, tense behavoir....There's a number of things."

"She's on her monthly."

Ron snorted.

"And you know that how...?"

"You just described a pms-ing woman."

Ginny slapped him on the arm and he gave an innocent look.

"It's true!"

"Yeah....maybe...." Ron said, staring off into the distance. Neville began singing a bawdy sounding sea ditty while taking off his shoes, obviously having decided to go swimming in the pond. Harry immediately joined in, his voice sounding, remarkably enough, terrible mixed in with Neville's actual ability to hit notes. Ron shook his head at them and held back laughter.

The water was only two feet deep.

oooooooooo

"Hey Draco..." Hermione said, standing there and shifting from foot to foot. One blond eyebrow rose as he watched her, wondering what this was about.

"I'm sorry I didn't come sooner." She blurted out suddenly, and he gave a small smile.

"I don't mind."

"Okay."

She shifted from foot to foot for a while longer before abruptly walking toward him a plopping down. Her hands clenched and unclenced numerous times before she finally looked at him.

"I just got out of the shower." She said. His other eyebrow quickly joined the other.

"I can see that."

"Yeah....I guess..." She twirled a piece of curly hair in a finger. "Um....Did Hogwarts have a lake?"

"....Yes...."

"Was there a squid in it?"

"Yes...."

"Okay....."

He held back laughter at her nervous behavior. But at the same time he was intrigued. Who had told her about the giant sguid?

"I accidentaly dropped my shampoo bottle and stepped on it and all the shampoo came out all squishy and I stepped in it and then suddenly I saw this tentacle in my mind waving at the window I was standing in only I was in in my shower and there are no windows there and the tentacle was coming from this lake that had this moving tree by it and I looked down and I was in a castle and I got scared because I don't like heights because Harry dragged me on his broom once and went really high and I thought he was going to drop me."

The laughter spilled out and she glared at him.

"Mind your grammer bookworm, or else those run-on sentences may confuse people." He said in between bursts of laughter. "And was that a memory you had? Or was it two? How do go from giant squid to flying anyways?" She opened her mouth, obviously intending to repeat her earlier sentence. A pale hand quickly clamped over it. "No, don't answer, I heard you the first time."

His hand moved away.

"It was one memory....I think." She said slowly.

"Congratulations then."

Silence fell around them. She stood up and brushed any imaginary dust that may have clung ot her backside off, then turned around.

"I would stay but I have to get ready for bed." She said soflty. "And I wanted to tell you what happened becuase I knew you would tell me the truth about it."

Before he could reply she bent down and kissed his forehead.

"Thank you."

And then she was gone. Draco smiled into the flames.

"You're welcome."

oooooooooo

Yay! Hermione remembered something!!! Sorry for the long wait between updates. But yeah.... You know the drill. Read and review!!!!