Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Betrothed ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ A - All Readers ]

To Love you would be foolish
 
People were talking again. Not about Harry Potter or Draco Malfoy instead they talked about John Marko and Lullia Marcus. A Hufflepuff and whatever the hell Lullia was. The students hadn't forgotten anything since break or of their bets going for Harry and Draco. Some more new rumors spread during break saying that Harry or Draco went off to Lullia's house for break. Everyone was in shock when they saw John and Lullia still walking and talking together.
 
Maybe she was going for an entirely different boy instead?
 
And then there was the engagement ring. Everyone now knew (if they had known anything about arrange marriages with the Marcus family) that Lullia had already chosen someone. It was driving them mad since neither Harry, Draco or John wore the matching male's ring. Some girls were even planning to check if they were wearing it around their necks.
 
Harry was walking to class passing groups of girls talking. Most of the girls who followed the gossip had been meeting in these groups more and more often. Harry had even heard that some girls were having after school meetings about who Lullia was going to marry. Harry had also noticed that girls who wanted Harry to win would wear red H's and with Draco, green D's.
 
People were starting to choose sides.
 
He passed one Slytherin group and heard, “It was really strange. Malfoy was already moved in and everything-”
 
He stopped at this. Malfoy hadn't been on the train and hadn't actually stopped and asked him where he had been. Harry turned around to the second year girls and said, “Excuse, but did you say Malfoy was already here before we moved in after break?”
 
The girls slightly blushed at this. Harry Potter was talking to them. Most were wearing H's despise being Slytherins. Only one wore a D. The true Slytherin of the group glared at Harry. “Why do you want to know?”
 
“Jessica!” hissed one of the other girls. She elbowed Jessica turned her bashful eyes at Harry. “Well yes. Apparently Malfoy was lying in his bed when we returned. It was really strange. I guess everything was unpacked-”
 
“Gracie!” snapped Jessica. “Stop telling him-”
 
Harry shook his head putting his hands up surrendering. “Leaving.” He turned around leaving as fast as he could before getting hexed. He heard Gracie protest, “But that was Harry POTTER!!!”
 
Harry then darted down the hallway and turned the corner. He was pretty sure that if Jessica could she'd hex him before making it to class. He smiled at the thought. Class. With Lullia and even better that he'd sit next to her. His run had turned into a brisk walk as he went up the stairs, turned, and went into the classroom.
 
Everything had remained the same except for the fact that John Marko was now in the picture. Luckily no one had made yellow J's for John (Harry was pretty sure no one wanted John to win Lullia's heart). Lullia still sat between him and Malfoy and traded lunch and dinner sitting with them. Sometimes she'd join the Ravenclaw or…the Hufflepuff table. He was pretty sure that he and Malfoy were sick at the idea of Lullia sitting with John (even if it was just to eat). Luckily though she hadn't gone out on any dates with him. Even sitting at the table became a decreasing thing.
 
Harry plopped down next to Lullia like always with his smile still on his face. Lullia smiled over at him when she heard him sit down. She raised her eyebrow.
 
“Did something good happen?” she asked.
 
“Some poor kid just got hexed with some kind of bubble spell. Every time he talks bubbles come out,” he quickly lied. He'd tell her later about the girls since Malfoy was getting tired of hearing that he was loosing.
 
Lullia giggled.
 
God he loved being back until he felt his scar prickling.
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
 
Lullia had been in the library for a while now. It was the last place where Harry, Draco or John would probably look for her even though she did have her own private room. Lullia guessed that they would wait outside for her even if Celina told them that she wasn't there or to go away. Either way all three were stubborn.
 
She had finally left John in the dust and walked away with him still in shock.
 
“So Lullia I really like you,” John had said.
 
They were somewhere in a corridor with the beautiful painted glass windows. They had always gone to the most deserted hallways or rooms in Hogwarts to avoid any kind of rumors. Then again it probably didn't help going to these deserted places, but so far so good. John wasn't a hit with the girls and she guessed that she'd never be. It was snowing again. Thick white snow drifting down.
 
“I know. That's why I went out with you,” she said uncaringly.
 
This was going to be hard. She had never gone this before. It wasn't in her nature to be this cruel.
 
His face dropped. Maybe it wasn't that big of a surprise, but she sounded like she could care less. “Oh-uh-so now what?”
 
Lullia finally crossed her arms across her chest. She was wearing a white blouse with a black skirt with leggings and Marry Jane shoes. Lately she had been dressing up more and more since her arrival back to Hogwarts. Her family had insisted on coming back later. Lullia had called them crazy.
 
Well that's what she told them anyways.
 
“I heard your conversation with Pansy before break.” John's face went dead white. “I couldn't and still can't believe that you would go along with a plan like that. I thought you were better than that.”
 
He was speechless. What to say about that?
 
“John you're smart enough to know that she was just using you, but you were stupid enough not to figure out how everything fell into place.” She took a step towards him and touched his arm. “In this situation you or Pansy wont get what you want, but I do know that there's a fifth year Hufflepuff who likes you very much. I'll see you later.”
 
Lullia turned, took a few steps, stopped and turned back towards him. He was standing there shell shocked about everything. “Tell Pansy, don't play games with someone who can play them better.”
 
She had walked away and it had felt so good. She had finally told him and hopefully he'd understood perfectly. Lullia leaned back against the wall with her legs out in front of her and her ankles crossed. She replayed the memory over and over again in her mind. John was probably crushed at this. She had played him and Pansy.
 
Maybe I was too hard on him, was her passing thought. There was still so much stuff to say and do before the end of the year. She gazed down at her ring. So much stuff to do. I should've never worn this stupid thing here. It's caused more problems than anything.
 
All of the girls who had been following the rumors and the relationship between her and Harry and Draco, immediately checked the ring. The engagement ring of the Marcus family that had a matching ring for the husband. Lullia had always seen her grandfather's ring because he proudly wore it since it lasted through Voldemort's uprising. Voldemort had wanted all of the family's prize processions and managed to somehow get a hold of her grandmother's ring. It had been lost until recently. Her mother never got to wear this ring and her father didn't wear his ring either since her grandfather refused to give it up until his wife found her ring again.
 
That's when Lullia began to hear the girls talking about the two rings. “So I wonder who's wearing the male's ring?”
 
“I don't know. Maybe one of them is wearing it around his neck on a chain-”
 
“You mean Harry,” one had corrected. She proudly wore an H.
 
“No! It's Draco!” protested another. She was one of the only ones left that wore a D.
 
Lullia wanted to throw the ring away after hearing that. Things weren't going to get easier at all….well no, not at all. She sighed and stood up. No one had even passed this aisle in an hour. She glanced at the books and all were in German. No wonder, was her passing thought.
 
She walked out of the aisle and saw no one around her. She smiled to herself. This was probably one of the many reasons why Hermione chose to stay in her for such long periods of time. She didn't blame her one bit. She walked towards the middle of the library slowly starting to see a few random students here and there. Lullia then saw the familiar curls of her friend already studying at a table with at least ten books around her.
 
Lullia sat down across from her. “Hey Hermione.”
 
Hermione glanced up and smiled at her. “Hey Lullia. You missed dinner, but I told Harry that Dumbledore wanted to see you.”
 
They both knew that Harry would've freaked. Ron would've cracked a few jokes and Fred and George would've followed them and unleashed their newest pranks.
 
“Thanks.” She paused for a minute as Hermione went back to working. Hermione knew everything. Every single detail. “Hermione do you think anything has ever gone on between Harry and Ginny?”
 
Hermione stopped working and looked up at her friend. How would she ever explain this? “Well-uh-”
 
Lullia nodded confirming on what she'd already guessed. “I've seen the way they look at each other. She looks at him….” She unconsciously began to play with her engagement ring.
 
“Like the way you look at your fiancé,” Hermione finished.
 
Lullia simply looked up at Hermione. She wasn't quite use to that word just yet. “I think I have to tell Ginny.”
 
Hermione's face dropped. “Tell her what?”
 
“About Harry.”
 
“Do you think that's a good idea?”
 
Lullia stood up readjusting her ring. “I think Ginny will understand. I trust her.”
 
Hermione stood up and began to shove everything into her bag. “I'll come with you. I need to talk to Ron anyway.” She slung it over her shoulder and they left to go find Ginny.
 
I hope she understands….
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
Hey kids. I know kinda sucky chapter, not gonna lie, but I promise the next chapter will be five times better. Trust me. So who has the matching ring I wonder? Hmmm….keep reading!