Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Believe In Magic ❯ Friendly Letters and Disturbing Make-Out Sessions ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Do You Believe In Magic?
 
Chapter one
 
Friendly Letters and
Disturbing Make-Out Sessions
 
Okay! I am excited about this fic, its gunna be GREAT! I hope you all enjoy it, and I believe I will like this fic, very much. Therefore, I can almost guarantee that I will update frequently! Enjoy!
 
Pairings: Har/Gin - Her/Dra - Ron/Other
 
----------------------------------------------------------
 
Hermione looked out of the foggy window of the compartment that she and her friends were currently occupying. Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Harry and the Twins had boarded the Hogwarts Express at one minute to eleven, leaving the group very little time to bid Mr. and Mrs. Weasley farewell. Hermione had made a mental note to write to her parents and Mr. And Mrs. Weasley after she got settled in.
 
They had worked their way through the train, poking their heads into seemingly empty compartments along the way—Most of which were already taken by two or three people. So on they went, and they eventually had ended up in the very last compartment—the one they usually ended up in—and the sat down, putting there luggage trunks up on the shelf above their heads.
 
Harry and Ginny had left the group halfway towards the back of the train to stop and catch up with Neville, Luna and Dean. Hermione had told them that they would probably be at the back of the train, and then they had moved on. Fred and George had also left the group to sit with a few of their prankster friends. They had immediately shut their compartment door and huddled close together. Probably to discuss Fred and George's newest creation, if you could even call it that.
 
About half an hour into the train ride, Harry and Ginny had rejoined Ron and Hermione and had sat down next to each other, looking bored and uninterested in anything and everything.
 
After another good forty-five minutes, Harry had tried to start a conversation with Hermione about how her summer had gone, and how her parents were. But taking in the far off look in Hermione's eyes and her muttered response, Harry gave up, knowing that he was not succeeding in talking to his mysterious best friend.
 
Ever since the end of 6th year, Hermione had been distant. She had assured her friends that she just had a lot on her mind, but Harry knew her better than that. He figured something else was going on. He didn't know what, but it was in his best interest to find out. If something was bothering Hermione, why didn't she tell him? After all, that's how it had always been, ever since they met. But Hermione just kept to herself, daydreaming and sorting through her thoughts.
 
Shortly after Harry had given up on small talk, he had decided to snog Ginny. Ron just stared at them with a sort of longing and envious look in his eyes. He was remembering the time he had tried to snog Hermione in 6th year. Of course, he had been partly drunk, but Hermione hadn't known that. It had not gone over well, judging by the stiffness he felt in every muscle after Harry had reversed the body-bind curse on him.
 
Hermione and Ron had laughed about the whole ordeal plenty of times after that, but deep down, Ron had a feeling that he had blown any chances of ever being with Hermione, if any had ever even existed, that is. So now he just stared fixedly at Harry and Ginny, imagining it was himself in Harry's place, and the love of his life, Hermione, in Ginny's place.
 
Hermione on the other hand just rolled her honey-brown eyes in a very un-Hermione like way. Usually, she was happy for them, and smiled when she say them exchange a gentle kiss or two. But snogging right in front of her was crossing the line. It was beyond unpleasant. It was downright disturbing! It was just plain arrogant. They should have some respect for other people in the room—or compartment—who are far from interested in showing everybody what they had eaten for breakfast.
 
So today, on the Hogwarts Express, in the last compartment in the seat by the window, Hermione just frowned and turned away. She had lots to think about. And one of those things was the upcoming year at Hogwarts.
 
Hermione looked away from the window and casually scanned the small-enclosed space she was in. And when her eyes met those of a red headed, hazel-eyed boy, she gasped.
 
What she saw in those murky green eyes was something that scared her.
 
Love.
 
Passion.
 
Lust.
 
Confusion.
 
Hope.
 
Misery.
 
Suffering.
 
Adoration.
 
Everything you would expect to see while looking into the eyes of somebody who is deeply in love with you. And that truly did scare her.
 
When Ron finally pulled his eyes away from Hermione's, he flicked them down, and unintentionally, Hermione's skirt came into view.
 
The skirt that had ridden up her leg by accident, and was exposing her in a way that Ron never wanted anybody else but himself to see.
 
Hermione averted her eyes, and when she saw the current exposure of her leg, she quickly tugged her skirt down further than it was intended to go. Hoping Ron had not seen anything, she turned back to the window.
 
Hermione had thought about the kiss Ron had once delivered to her lips. Sure, he had been drunk, but did he actually mean it? Was that truly what he had wanted anyway? Or had it been a state of drunkenness where he had had no idea what he had been doing at the time?
 
Hermione had kissed him back, but soon after, she had realized what she was doing and had pushed him away roughly, causing him to land on the floor. From there, she had performed the body bind curse, which she had first mastered in first year. It had been 100% reflex. And Hermione had apologized one thousand and one times after he had been freed from his current state.
 
Back in 6th year, Hermione had not wanted a boyfriend. She had wanted to stay focused on her studies, and just get through the year, but now that she was in her 7th year, she felt differently about the matter. She wanted to have somebody by her side. Someone to lead her, love her and hold her when she was feeling down. A nice boy who would be along for the ride, and not care about who she was, and what blood ran through her veins.
 
Of course, she had her friends, but she wanted somebody else too. Just like Harry had Ginny, and visa-versa.
 
A lot of stuff had happened in 6th year. Ron had kissed her, Neville had achieved an almost “outstanding” on his potions exam (which nobody had any idea how it had happened), Ginny and Harry had gotten together, and Hermione had been given the spot of substitute Transfiguration teacher, for when Professor McGonagall was too busy with her head mistress duties.
 
But most of all, the unthinkable had happened.
 
Draco Malfoy had approached Hermione at the end of their 6th year, and had explained to her how his father was now in Azkaban. He told her of the things he used to do to get his way—whether he was telling Draco how to act at school, and towards people, or if he was punishing Draco's mom Narcissa for standing up for her son—and that he had never hated her. He told her he had been forced to act cruelly to her, and everyone around him, but especially her, by his father.
 
He had then taken her hand in both of his, and asked for her forgiveness.
 
“I know you may not ever forgive me, But I do want you to know that I am sorry for any pain and suffering I have caused you over the years.” Draco had said.
 
Hermione had been stunned at the time, and had been incapable of speech, so she had just nodded and smiled at him. In return she had received a smile from Draco—Not the usually smirk, but a genuine smile—and he had then dropped her hand and walked away, leaving her standing alone in the Entrance Hall.
 
Hermione will never forget the way his beautiful blue-grey eyes had shined with warmth and appreciation that day.
 
From then on, Draco and Hermione had slowly become friends. It had been awkward at first, well, for Hermione anyway, because of the fact that they had “hated” each other for so long. Or they thought they had.
 
Over the summer vacation, Draco and Hermione had written numerous letters, and had replied to all of the ones they received from each other—No matter how pointless or weird they were.
 
Hermione couldn't help but remember the last letter she had received from Draco. She had pretty much memorized it—from reading it so often—guessing it would be the last one she would get from him. He had written:
 
Dear Hermione,
 
I am glad that you are doing well. I am fine, thanks. Things have been going a lot smoother around the manor now that my “Father” is gone. My Mother has been so happy and joyous. I am pleased to see her having fun again. I am betting she would really like you. I have neglected to get to know you all these years, therefore neglecting seeing that you and my mother have quite a bit in common.
 
I have just finished buying all of my new schoolbooks and robes and things, and have been reading an extra book I picked up called “Famous Muggle-Borns of the Century.” You can probably guess who inspired me to buy that! It is quite fascinating actually. Some of the Muggle-Borns in here are more famous than purebloods, and most of them are women! Not meaning anything by it of course!
 
But anyhow, I must be going. I promised to help my mother with dinner. We are giving the house elves one day off per week. After reading about that S.P.E.W. campaign you launched a little while back, we have been letting the elves have breaks, and have been paying them a few sickles if they insisted on working on their days off. They are so much happier now!
 
Well, I hope to see you soon,
Yours truly,
~ Draco Malfoy
 
P.S.
 
Are you going for head girl? I heard that they said they would tell the new Heads' of their position after we are on the train. I hope I get head boy! What about you? Well, anyway, good luck!
 
It had been a short but sweet letter. A part of Hermione was just dying to see her newfound friend Draco, but another small part of her was still holding back; feeling hesitant about being near the blond boy.
 
Hermione was so deep in her thoughts that she barely heard the kind voice of the trolley woman at their compartment door.
 
“Anything sweet off the trolley dears?”
 
Hermione turned to the woman and smiled kindly.
 
“Yes Ma'am. I'll have a pumpkin pastry please, and…”
 
She trailed of and looked around at her friends. Harry and Ginny were still securely attached at the mouth, playing an intense game of tonsil hockey, while Ron seemed completely out of it, with a dazed look on his face while he watched the other two make out.
 
“Well, I guess that's it. Just the pastry please!” Hermione finished.
 
The trolley woman chuckled to herself and handed Hermione her pastry. Hermione in turn, handed over two bronze Knuts, and waved as the lady disappeared to the next compartment.
 
“Are you aiming for head girl?”
 
That line of Draco's last letter kept running through her mind. Of course she was aiming for head girl. She had been aiming for the position since the first day she stepped onto the Hogwarts Express. But she feared it wasn't going to happen, as she had been on the train for quite awhile now, and had not yet received at badge indicating her status.
 
She sighed heavily.
 
“Oh well. At least I'll have more time for studying…” She told herself, but her own words failed to thrill her. She had so hoped for the responsibility of being head girl. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be?
 
Just then, the compartment door opened and in walked Luna Lovegood.
 
Just as she was about to saying something, a loud nauseating slurping sound met her ears. She turned to Harry and Ginny and the casually tapped Harry on the head with a large book she had been holding.
 
“Eww,” she muttered.
 
Harry pulled away from Ginny and glared a Luna.
 
“What the hell was that for? God…” Harry questioned, but without waiting for an answer, he pulled Ginny back to him, with a small squeak from Ginny in protest.
 
Luna rolled her eyes and hit Harry with the book—harder this time—and then turned to Hermione and said, “He's supposed to kiss her, not devour her.” She then looked at Ron and how he was just staring at Ginny and Harry.
 
“And he's not helping,” Hermione added, with an annoyed look at Ron.
 
“I know. So anyway, how are you Hermione?”
 
“I'm fine, and yourself?”
 
“Quite good. But anyway, Professor McGonagall would like you to meet her in the Heads Compartment. The head boy is waiting there right now, and here…” She handed over the large book that she had hit Harry with before.
 
“What am I supposed to do with it?” Hermione asked.
 
“…Read it? You of all people should know what a book is used for. But that is why you are going to the compartment a la heads. Or, one of the reasons I guess. McGonagall wants to give you and Malfoy the keys to these books.” Luna said more to herself then Hermione.
 
Hermione perked up at Draco's last name.
 
“Did you just say Malfoy?” Hermione asked.
 
“Oh, yeah. He's the head boy, and you're the head girl this year. I feel sorry for you `Mione.” Luna half laughed.
 
“Oh, I see. Well, best we get going. Ron! I am leaving for a while. Be back later.”
 
“Sure, but don't hurry back. You're not really missing anything.” Ron muttered to her.
 
Hermione laughed and ran out the door after Luna, following the strange girl to the place she had been waiting so long to go to.
 
`I wonder where all of this is leading.” Hermione wondered.
 
Well, that's the first chapter! Hope you liked it!