Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and the Green Flame ❯ With Tired Souls We Mourn and Start Anew ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Harry and I finished dinner in silence. I could tell that Ron's abrupt dismissal was bothering him but I was too afraid to broche the subject myself. I had only become a part of this group hours earlier so any intrusion would easily be shrugged off and I didn't want the immediate feeling of being an outsider. So I opted to leave him lost in his thought. It wasn't hard, as I was seemingly lost in the same thought myself.
I kept going over in my head everything that I had done and said in front of Ron today. But I couldn't come up with anything that deserved his cold shoulder. Maybe it was deeper than that. Maybe there's some underlying issue at hand that I have yet to uncover. I sighed and accepted a temporary defeat, but promised myself to keep looking for ways in which to get Ron's approval. Or at the very least understand where his distance was coming from.
I was just about to get up and head back to the common room but stopped instantly when I saw the headmaster rise from his seat to stand at his podium. I broke out in gooseflesh instantly as I stared into face. There was something wrong and my over active imagination started up a fresh string of scary possibilities ranging from dark creatures to prison breaks. I watched as he cleared his throat and waited for the students to quiet down, his eyes roaming over each and every face.
"As you all were made aware over summer holiday, the Dark Lord Voldemort has risen once again to power and has been amassing attacks all over parts of Europe." He paused and waited for the whispers to halt once more.
"It has come to my unfortunate attention that the wizarding community of Hogsmeade has just fallen under enemy hands and is now being occupied by a few of Lord Voldemort's inner circle. It is in the best interest of all residing at Hogwarts at this time that we put the school on high alert and seal any and all magical contact to the outside community. None shall be permitted to go into Hogsmeade for the weekend trips. As such, permission to the grounds is limited to the Game Keeper's hut and Quidditch practice is to be monitored by a chaperone. Any questions regarding the procedures at this time should be directed towards your head of house." And without further ado he swept from the hall leaving all of us shocked into silence.
I turned slowly to look at Harry, shock written all over both our faces.
"Who the hell is Lord Voldemort and what the heck just happened here?" I watched as Harry did a double take.
"You never heard of Voldemort before?" He asked, surprise coloring his features. Was I supposed to? I shook my head and his eyes bulged even more.
"What? Who is he?" I watched as his expression turned from curious, to surprised to incredibly confused.
"Morgan, do you know anything about the magical community in Europe? Do you know anything about what's happened in the last 16 years?" I was beginning to feel confused now. He was acting as if this should be common knowledge.
"Harry, I grew up in the U.S. We're too busy keeping our own histories straight, never mind the current histories of neighboring countries. What's going on?" I asked again with more urgency. He got up then and looked off in the direction that Hermione and Ron disappeared to.
"C'mon, I'll explain everything, but we've got to find Ron and Hermione first." I got up and ran with him through the crowd of students. Through the corridors and up the stairs we ran till we breathlessly reached the portrait of the Fat Lady.
"Wackspurt!" Harry bellowed out of breath. We ran through the portrait hole and right into Hermione and Ron who looked a little confused but quickly recovered once they saw our faces.
"Harry, what's wrong?" Hermione asked in alarm. He motioned us towards a table in the corner of the common room where we could talk in private.
And boy did we talk. Harry explained everything then. He told me about his scar that had gone unnoticed till now, hidden under the few bits of his hair that laid flat. He told me what Voldemort had done to his parents and continues to do to the magical community. Hearing him talk about Voldemort's plan only drove home the anger from Malfoy and his 'mudblood' comments earlier.
We discussed the possible outcomes from this latest attack but we had grim expectations. I sat back with the whirlwind of information as Harry and Hermione discussed the topic further. Ron was sitting on Hermione's other side, quiet as ever but every so often he'd look at me. It wasn't welcoming either. And it happened any time Harry or Hermione questioned why the attack happened now, twelve days after the start of term. He'd look up at me quickly, holding eye contact for only a few seconds but it was unfriendly. It was almost like he was accusing me of being the culprit with every flash of his eyes. As if to say my appearance here at Hogwarts today is what spurred the attack.
And that's when it hit me. I suddenly understood why Ron was distant with me. Why he came off protective and jumped at any opportunity to keep me away from Harry today! He thought I was on the dark side! I had to refrain from chuckling when I thought this. It just seemed so ridiculous. But after hearing Harry's account of the lengths Voldemort would go to get at him, I understood Ron's behavior completely.
He got up then too. He didn't even say goodnight before skulked off towards the dorms and off to bed. I hesitated for a fraction of second before deciding to throw all caution to the wind and voice my concerns. But I realized quickly that I wasn't the only one that had caught up to the same conclusion.
"Morgan, I think I can explain why Ron hasn't been very friendly with you today." Hermione started but I cut her off.
"No, it's okay I get it too. I think he thinks that I have unkind motives for being at Hogwarts and I can't say I blame him either. You three are a close knit group of friends and this new stranger coming in and automatically being assigned to Harry's life, it's a little suspicious." Hermione nodded as Harry shook his head.
"It is a little suspicious I agree. But I can't imagine Dumbledore being fooled over something like this. And there are so many magical wards and things protecting the castle. If you were up to no good he'd have known by now." Harry added.
"Not to mention he and my father are close." I responded and Harry looked up at me questioningly.
"They're friends?" He asked.
"Of course they are. Didn't I tell you my parents grew up here? My father attended this school. He and Dumbledore have kept contact ever since he and my mother relocated to California. How did you think I got in here?" I explained. Harry and Hermione both looked surprised as they heard this and then quickly relieved, as if they'd both been thinking these thoughts all day but didn't want to say anything.
"Morgan, you have no idea how happy I am to hear this. It's still a little weird but knowing this about your dad makes me feel better about the situation." Harry said to me after finally sitting back in his chair and relaxing. Hermione looked a little more concerned but relief still evident in her face. I was a little hurt but I quickly recovered from that. I couldn't hold anything against them for having these thoughts especially with everything going on involving Voldemort. I guess in this world they live in you really can't trust anybody.
I yawned then and decided it was time I headed to bed. I stood up and stretched for a moment before bidding my friends a goodnight. Just as I turned around though, I noticed a small girl coming through the portrait hole and was heading straight towards our table with a note in her hands. She handed to me wordlessly before turning around and walking back through the portrait hole. Confused, I opened the note and immediately cursed under my breath.
"What is it?" Harry asked. I hung my head and sighed.
"It's from Snape." Of course I forgot my detention tonight. "He said I'd have to make up my detention tomorrow morning after breakfast." I said. I crinkled the note up and tossed in a nearby trash basket.
"I'm off to bed, you coming, Hermione?" I asked sleepily as I started heading for the dorm.
"I'll be there in a few." She responded. I nodded and shuffled my way to the stairs. But as I started walking up them, I heard Hermione say something that stopped me in my tracks.
"Harry, I'm still not sure I trust her." She said to him.
Shocked, I hid myself in the shadow of the stairs and listened carefully to their conversation. Harry was shaking his head at her already.
"Hermione, I really don't see anything to worry about right now. She's friendly enough and was way too amazed by Hogwarts this morning. A death eater would be more aware of me and less aware of every moving painting on the walls." He said coming to my defense. Though I felt a little stupid at his observation, I also felt a warm feeling spreading in my chest as I listened to him defend me.
"I know, but, Harry there is one other thing that is more alarming then her arrival here." She argued back. He still looked like he wasn't interested in what she had to say, but she carried on anyways. "She looks just like you if you haven't noticed."
At this Harry looked at her with a frown beginning to form on his lips.
"Come off it. She's a girl, with very girl like features, Hermione." He was definitely getting annoyed now. Of course that wasn't stopping her.
"I know that." She snapped back. "I wasn't referring to body parts, Harry. She's got black hair-"
"Lots of people have black hair!" Boy, he's really heated now.
"And the same color eyes!" She countered.
"Like I was the only one born with green eyes." He's really, really mad.
"She's short like you too!" Hermione's arguments were growing more and more desperate and weaker with every attempt. He jumped up then, not wanting to hear anymore.
"Enough!" He yelled at her. She shrunk back into her chair a little but was still sporting a defiant expression on her face. "I don't want to hear anymore of this rubbish. Not tonight. There are too many other things, more important things, Hermione. She's going to be my friend whether you like it or not and honestly, it's one more head with one more set of opinions to help us solve this Hogsmeade mystery. What could it really hurt inside the walls of Hogwarts?" He left her sitting there before she could answer and started for the dorms.
I turned around as well and made a beeline straight for my bed. Everything had suddenly become so exhausting. What had started off as a great day at a new school has now ended on a horrible note and left me feeling more alone than I'd felt in all my life. Working towards one friends' approval was one thing, but two? I wasn't sure if it was achievable, and the thought scared me. I hurriedly kicked off my shoes and jumped into bed, ignoring the fact that I was still in my uniform. I grabbed the curtains around my bed and pulled them shut as Hermione came in so as to not invite conversation. I didn't know if I could pretend that I hadn't just heard everything she'd spoken to Harry while she thought I wasn't there.
Exhaustion took over at this point and I fell almost instantly into a deep yet restless sleep.
Carter Lennox stood, agitated, at his back door. He was a tall man, and handsome to boot, with small dimples on either side of a perfect set of lips. He had ocean blue eyes that seemed to go on forever that were hooded by finely shaped, dark eyebrows. His hair, the exact shade of his brows, was caught short and styled towards the right of his head. He had a broad chest and matching shoulders which were at this point puffed up in stress.
What's taking so long? He thought to himself.
"Is she ready yet, Jocelyn?" Carter asked his wife, the impatience coming through with his words. He looked over his shoulder towards the hallway from which is wife would appear once finished preparing the baby for the ceremony.
"Just a minute!" She yelled just as the sound of a door opening could be heard. Her soft footsteps came closer as she came to stand next to her husband.
He looked down at her then and tried to reassure her with a smile. He knew his wife didn't agree with what the order had asked of them but she put trust in him and so agreed to go along with order members.
"It's time." Carter whispered as he took the bundle of blankets from his wife's arms and carried them outside to meet the hooded group of people that were stood in a circle around a large fire. He walked to the center of the circle and took the blankets away from what lied within. After a few moments, they fell from his hands, and a newborn baby was revealed. A baby with raven colored hair and dazzling green eyes.
I woke up then, drenched in a cold sweat and panting as if I'd run a marathon. I sighed as I pulled the curtains away and looked at the clock on my bedside table. It read nine a.m.
"Great." I murmured as I stiffly got out of bed.
"Just what I need, another boring day." I then looked at my surroundings and realized that I was at Hogwarts and not home in America. I blinked a few times as the memories from yesterday came whirling back to me. You forgot all that in nine hours?
I stepped to the end of my bed then and began rummaging through my trunk for clothes to wear. After finding a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and some fresh undies, I gathered them up and a bag of toiletries and headed for the bathroom. I changed as quickly as I could so as to get through breakfast in time for my detention with Professor Snape, and pulled my hair up with a tight bun. As I loaded my toothbrush with paste I stopped and looked up at myself in the mirror, suddenly remembering what I had overheard Hermione say to Harry last night.
I suppose she was a little right in what she said as I compared my features to his. We did have jet black hair and eyes almost the exact same color. We were both short for our age and more than a little skinny. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that she said this but then it all could be just a coincidence. No that's not exactly true, I amended my last thought. I have a scar just like Harry's. How could I have forgotten that? Of course mine wasn't on my forehead like his. Mine was located on the small of my back.
"You can scrub those a little harder Ms. Lennox." Professor Snape said lazily from his desk. I looked up at my clock on the table in front of me to see with relief that I had only ten minutes left of this detention. I also thought of a few things he could be doing instead of sitting behind his desk to watch me clean out these cauldrons.
"Yes, sir" I replied, all the while grumbling inside my head. I quickly finished the last one and set upside down on a towel I placed out earlier and began packing up the cleaning material. I was more than ready to leave, but before I was finished, Professor Snape called me over to his desk. I made my way over to him in a hurry, wanting to get this over with as fast as possible.
"Sit." I sighed and obeyed, taking the first seat I could find. "I'm not a fool," He began and I seriously debated that internally. "I know Mr. Malfoy didn't help you with that remedy in yesterday's class. I'm curious, however, as to where you learned to brew such perfect batch of that potion." I blinked a second; letting his words catch up to me.
"I was in an advanced potions class back in America." I said to him, feeling a little surprised at his question. He thought for a second and stood up from his seat to come stand directly in front of me.
"Although it pains me to admit this, I do have to acknowledge that you have unrivaled skills in the art of potions than those of your fellow housemates. You would do well to consider my offer for my advanced potions class. I offer it only to seventh years but I'd be willing to let you slide as an exception to the class."
I thought for a moment, considering everything before I made a decision. I did really enjoy potions back home and I'll admit I had been eager to take it here. Although Professor Snape obviously had a mean streak, he had also taken the time to consider a place for me in his advanced class and it was apparently something he never offered to sixth years. With the enjoyment I got out of the class, I'd be foolish not to accept it.
"I'd like that, thank you, Professor." I said to him. He seemed to process my response for a moment but then added:
"It's a much harder class and I would expect the up most priority to any homework or studying required. I pass no lower than an 'Acceptable'. You should know this before fully accepting." You're gonna offer me a class then take it back? Not cool, Professor!
I shook my head and stared determinedly ahead.
"I wouldn't accept anything less. Of course I'll go above and beyond for this class." He nodded seeming appeased by my promise and gestured towards door.
"Very well, you may go. I'll expect you on Tuesday at ten a.m. sharp. I won't allow tardiness either." I gathered up my things as quickly as possible and assured him once more that I took his offer seriously and looked forward to class next week. I hurried out the door and up the steps to the great hall. It was already lunch time and was starving. I had made the unfortunate mistake to skip breakfast this morning due to time and now as I sat down at an empty spot at the table, I decided I could eat a horse. I began loading food onto my plate and hadn't noticed that someone had sat next to me.
"I didn't see you at breakfast this morning." Harry said sounding a little concerned.
"I woke up later than I had planned and had to hurry to my detention. Speaking of which," I dove into details about the advanced class that Professor Snape offered me. Harry seemed surprised by this but smiled when he saw how excited I actually was for it.
"You must be really fantastic at potions for him to have made that offer." My stomach flipped a few times with butterflies. A little encouragement does the body good.
I smiled at him, not knowing what to say to that without sounding like an idiot. I started to eat my lunch while Harry grabbed his food and noticed Hermione coming down the aisle accompanied by Ron. I was surprised to see him after the way he treated me last night but then I saw the look on his face and changed my mind. He stopped in his tracks and started to turn around but Hermione grabbed him by the arm to tug him back to the table. She was motioning at him madly and pushed him towards where Harry and I sat.
Harry noticed my momentary lapse in shoveling food into my mouth and looked in the direction I had already been looking to.
"Don't take it personally, Morgan. He'll get over himself… eventually." He said as he went back to piling food on his plate.
Ron and Hermione sat down opposite Harry and I at the table and I looked up to greet them.
"Afternoon." I said to Hermione only, as Ron kept his head down while he took a few sips of his pumpkin juice. She smiled and elbowed him in the ribs.
"Ouch! Dammit, Hermione, would you knock it off?" I was starting to feel bad for her, she had been yelled at twice now by both her friends. She apparently felt the same way and after recovering from the shocked look on her face she turned back to her plate and began eating her food.
To say it was an awkward moment would be the understatement of the year. For the entire duration of lunch consisted of heavy sighs, loud sips of drink and the occasional turning of the newspaper page. I of course had had enough and got abruptly to my feet. Everyone with the exception of Ron, looked up at me as I picked up my bag and Harry looked like he was about to say something but I beat him to it.
"Ron, come take a walk with me." He ignored me. "Ron, please come take a walk with me." He still didn't answer. I shook with fury and threw my bag back down on the bench and leaned over the table to get right in his face. "Are you quite finished yet?"
"Stop acting like a prat, you're such a child!" Hermione chirped. He looked up to glare at her and then his head swiveled towards mine.
"Fine, I'll take your stupid little walk." He got up then and began walking towards the entrance hall. I grabbed my bag and hurried up the hall to catch up to him, completely ignoring the calls from Harry and Hermione as I left.
As I reached the doors I had to look around to find him and when I found him, he was heading for the great oak doors that led outside. When I got to his side I reached out for his arm. He grabbed back fast as if he'd been shocked.
"Don't touch me." He said fiercely making a group of fourth years on the opposite side of the door, jump.
"Sorry, it's just we can't go outside. Dumbledore limited the access to the grounds last night. He turned around then and headed for the steps that led back up to the other corridors. He walked about halfway up them and turned back around and sat. I went up to where he was and sat next to him.
"I know why you don't like me." I started, deciding with getting right to the point. He didn't say anything so I continued. "I know he's your best friend and he's faced a lot of evil in his time. I know that you witnessed some of it and that you're fiercely protective of him because of it." His breathing began to slow down as I spoke to him as softly and as understandably as possible. "I respect that in you. And I don't blame you in the least. I'd be just as afraid as you-"
"I'm not afraid!" He said, finally breaking his silence.
"Maybe not for yourself, but I am. I'm so afraid. My best friend back home isn't hunted by the darkest wizard of our time. And a new person arriving at our school only causes gossip before they're dispensed into a social group. We don't have these sorts of concerns. But I accept that you look out for you friend during this time. And I wanted you to know that it's okay. And I'm not mad at you. And when you're ready to accept me if you ever are ready, I'll be here to answer any of your questions you might have." I concluded my speech, hoping he understood me and could at least from this point, be civil.
"I don't like you." He said.
"That's fine." I said back.
"You look just like him." He added.
"And you're a ginger! So what?" I snapped before I could stop myself. I sighed and regained my composure. "Ron, I'm not going to sit here and argue with you. I'm not here to hurt Harry. I didn't even know who he was before I met him-"
"Yeah, like that's believable." He muttered under his breath.
"I didn't! I'm not from Europe! I live on the farthest side of the country from Europe. And besides, we have enough going on in our magical community to worry about. Let alone having to worry about yours." My patience was wearing thin again and I desperately wanted to end this conversation before I said something that I'd never be able amend. I heard him sigh.
"I want to trust you but everything is screaming at me not to." His voice was softer this time and almost apologetic.
"I know it is. And that's fine, I don't blame you, but I'm still not here to hurt Harry. There's just a lot going on back home and my father preferred me out of the country till it was resolved. I promise." I looked him full in the face as I said this, making sure to keep eye contact with him. He rolled his eyes and blew a stream of air through his teeth.
"Fine." He said. "But I'll have my eye on you." I smiled triumphantly.
"I knew you'd come around." I got up and offered him a hand as he stood up as well.
"Yeah well…" He didn't finish his sentence but I was certain I had gotten through to him. I started down the steps and stopped as I noticed two figures left standing in the hall after the lunch rush.
"You two ladies done bickering yet?" Harry asked with a smirk. I laughed and skipped over to where they stood looking amused at the overly stressed exchange between Ron and I.
"I think we're good now" I said them as Ron joined our group.
"Yeah well…" He said again without finishing his thought. Everyone laughed as we started back to the common room and I suddenly felt lighter again. All thoughts of the Hogsmeade tragedy were temporarily forgotten as we resigned, for the time, to be kids and enjoy a carefree Saturday playing cards with our fellow house mates.