Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and the Werewolf Prophecy ❯ COUSINS ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“So you never knew you had a cousin,” said Sophie, buttering toast.

“No. Well, Dad left home when I was young, and Mum never mentioned any relatives on his side of the family. I hardly saw him.” Alex held his cup out to the teapot, which politely refilled it.

“So, he’s on your father’s side?” She took a small bite from the corner of the toast, leaning over the table to avoid dropping crumbs on her robes.

“He’s Dad’s sister’s son. She told him about me a short while ago. She’s kind of outside the wizard world as well, apparently. Not in the Muggle world though – which I didn’t really understand.”

Sophie glanced over at the Gryffindor table. Addie was sitting several places down from Amy. There seemed to be a group of students chatting.

“What’s he like?” she asked.

“He seems nice. Why, do you think he isn’t?”

Sophie shook her head. “No, he’s fine. It’s just… in Defence Against, he was paired up with Amy. I thought he was… never mind.”

“No, go on.”

“Well, I thought he was kind of bullying her. And then when she managed to get his wand off him – he looked angry for a moment. Oh, it’s silly.” She looked away from Alex and stared at her toast.

“Yes, but you know how Amy hates when people don’t go all out against her. She probably knows Addie quite well from the lessons with Gryffindor and Hufflepuff,” said Alex. There was a little quaver in his voice.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to… you’re quite keen to get to know him, aren’t you?” asked Sophie.

“Well… it’s not as if I don’t have any family, but I don’t know Mum’s relatives very well. Gran is fine, but she never understood why we were living like Muggles. ‘How do you light the fire without magic?’ she was always asking us. And not having Dad around…” Alex blinked. He felt suddenly very emotional, and he wasn’t sure why.

“Well, you should get to know him. Blood is thicker than pumpkin juice,” said Sophie firmly.

“But if you’re right about…”

“Well, if it turns out you don’t like him you don’t have to spend all your time in each other’s pockets. Look at Amy and me. We have our own lives.”

Alex gave a little grin. “You’re fine with that, are you?”

“Of course! I realised that Amy needs a bit of independence. She’ll always be there when I need her. Now, time for Herbology.”

Alex glanced at the clock. “You head on, Sophie. I’ll just…” He tailed off as Sophie left, running to catch up with Marion. He walked over towards the Hufflepuff table. Addie noticed him and jumped up and walked towards him.

“Hi, Alex,” he said with a smile. “I’m just off to Charms. Where are you going.”

“Herbology,” said Alex.

“We can walk some of the way together then. If that’s all right?”

“Nunno, that’s great,” said Alex.

“Mum said ‘be friendly, but don’t bother him if he doesn’t want’. But she’d really like the family to be closer.” They walked out of the Great Hall and stared at the maze of staircases.

“Did she and my dad have a quarrel then?” asked Alex.

“Well, it all happened even before I was born, I think. Our granddad is a bit of a rough diamond. Not a bad person, but not presentable in the best Wizarding society, let’s say. Your Dad wanted to cut ties with him, and my Mum – well, she wanted to be friends with everyone.”

“And my Dad broke off contact?” Alex had assumed that his father had had a problem with his mother, or her family. This didn’t seem to fit.

“Well, I only know what Mum and Granddad say. I’m sure your dad has his own side of things.”

Alex thought for a moment. “Dad said… he kind of implied that his father – our granddad – was mixed up with… well, Death Eaters. Voldemort’s lot.”

Addie shook his head. “I’ve spent a lot of time with him. He’s talked to me about Voldemort, and Death Eaters. I promise you, he despises them. Really hates them. And the Dark Mark…”

“What’s that?” asked Alex.

“It’s this thing on the arm that Death Eaters have. Well, Granddad doesn’t, I know that!”

Alex still looked dubious.

“Mum said to tell you – don’t do anything your dad said not to. You don’t have to meet granddad unless your dad says it’s OK. Still, there’s no reason why we can’t be friends, is there? And maybe our parents will end up getting on well too.” Addie looked up at the main staircase. “I’d better get on. Professor Flitwick is a nice enough chap, but it wouldn’t do to annoy him.”

 

Addie ran up the stairs, hopping across the gap as one of the flights started to veer away. Alex looked after him. He wanted to talk to his mother or his father. There seemed to be something he didn’t understand going on. He shook his head, and walked down to the greenhouses.