Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets of Light and Dark ❯ Dark Light ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

After everyone exited the boats, all the students sat their luggage in the main hall where they would get them later. They sat at the tables where their houses were seated, ready to listen to the great Albus Dumbledore.
 
“Good evening,” the wizard began, “Welcome to another great year at Hogwarts. For those of you who are new here, this will be your new home until the end of spring.” Dumbledore pulled out an envelope. “Kathryn and Kellie Wakefield, please repot to the front of the hall to receive your new houses.”
 
Kellie jumped right up like it was Christmas, but Kathryn took longer. She slowly rose and looked back to the crowd. Harry and Hermione waved at her, seeming to wish her good luck. Then she looked over to Ron, who nodded to her. Kellie was the first to go. She sat in the seat and waited.
 
Dumbledore sat the legendary sorting hat upon Kellie's head. She smiled and waited to hear the word “Slytherin”.
 
“Kellie, are you not?” asked the hat in a loud voice, making her jump.
 
“Yeah,” she said.
 
“You have deep secrets within you,” it said to her. “Dark and weary… almost like there's a devil within your heart…”
 
Is that really worth telling everyone? She thought to herself.
 
“No, it's not,” said the sorting hat, “but it's most obvious which house you're going to get, and that house is… Slytherin!”
 
Kellie smiled and rose out of the chair. Everyone applauded as she took her seat in front of Draco, who smiled and gave her a nod. She looked and nodded back without a smile.
 
Dumbledore motioned Kathryn over to the seat. She sat down, her palms sweating. She was nervous but she wiped her clammy hands on her skirt. The room was silent. Dumbledore sat the hat on her head. The hat finally spoke.
 
“Hmmm,” it said, seeming to think hard, “This is difficult. Dark, yet peace and good and kindness… You seem to be cursed by something you yet do not know about…”
 
She looked over to Ron. She remembered that he had asked her why she looked so upset. He remembered also. He eyed her with hope, though he didn't think she'd see him. She barely let a smile that wasn't visible from far away. She knew he cared, though he didn't show it.
 
“Yes, this would be perfect for you,” said the hat. “Your new house is Gryffindor!”
 
Kathryn rose from her seat and smiled. Ron smiled and shook his head and clapped as claps and cheers filled the room as she walked back over to her seat, which was in front of Harry and beside Hermione. Ron was next to Harry.
 
“Congratulations,” they said grinning.
 
“Thank you,” she said. “I was nervous… but I'm happy I get to be with you all now.”
 
Everyone smiled except Harry. “Aren't you upset that your sister got Slytherin?” he asked, trying to hold back his comments.
 
“No, she always gets separated from me. I'm used to it by now,” she said smiling. “Besides,” she continued, “we never get to see each other anyway.”
 
“Oh,” Harry sighed. He smiled looking passed the incident. “Well, now you're with us. Congratulations.”
 
Later on that night, every one went up to their dorms. Menalene, Kathryn's cat, sat upon Kathryn's bed, twitching her tail as she watched her master unpack her luggage. She met up with Hermione, who soon met up with Harry and Ron. They all went down to the main hall where they sat to eat dinner.
 
As soon as everyone was seated, they looked down to see all varieties of food appear before their very eyes. Amazed as they were hungry, everyone dug into their feasts that sat in front of them. It was like Thanksgiving all over again.
 
The first thing Kellie went for was a turkey leg. As soon as she grasped it in the palm of her hand, she began to gnaw on it. Draco looked disgusted.
 
“So I eat funny, big deal!” Kellie exclaimed. “It's not like I'm crazy or anything.”
 
Draco shrugged his shoulders and began to eat. Kellie looked over to her sister, who was laughing and having a good time with her new friends. She lowered her head and looked away in sadness. Just when I thought we were going to be together once more…Kellie wore the necklace of a dragon on her neck. It represented the darkness of her life: The Princess of Hell.
 
Every one could hear the owls fly above their heads as they flew to their individual student and dropped their schedules before them. Kathryn's owl, who was a female and had jet black feathers and a white belly flew off along with the rest of the flying birds where they could go and sleep. Kathryn opened her schedule along with Harry, Hermione, and Ron.
 
“First class:” Kathryn began, “Potions.”
 
“Me, too,” said Ron. Harry and Hermione agreed also.
 
“Here, let me see all of our schedules,” said Hermione taking everyone's schedules and comparing them. “Everyone has the same schedule except for the fourth class. Kathryn and Ron are the only one's who have the exact same schedule.” She said.
 
“Okay, let me see,” said Kathryn. She seemed to open up more and become more social, but she still had her shy side. “Second class: Mystical Creatures. Third class: Gardening. Ron and I have Defense Against the Dark Arts for our fourth class, what do you guys have?”
 
Ron sighed. “Out of all the classes in the world…”
 
“Well,” Hermione began, “Harry has Defenses and I have History.”
 
Kellie opened her schedule. “For first class, I have Mystical Creatures, and then I have Potions, Defense, and then Defense Against the Dark Arts.”
 
“That's what I have,” stated Draco.
 
After everyone was done eating, they all headed up to the room for a good night's sleep. Kathryn changed into her long satin nightgown. It was lavender with white laces on the collar and the long sleeves. She heard someone walk up the stairs into the girls' bedroom. She figured it was probably Hermione, but the steps were slower and heavier. She looked over to the doorway as she was brushing her hair to see it was Ron.
 
Ron cleared his throat. “Umm, you left your schedule at the dinner table,” he said handing her the folded paper.
 
Kathryn took it from his hand. “Thanks,” she said smiling at him.
 
Ron smiled and nodded his head, until he heard a woman's voice. “There is to be no boys in the girls' dormitory after dark,” said the woman. Ron began to walk out of the room, but he looked back and waved to Kathryn. She smiled and waved back. She folded the paper and put it inside her purse on her night stand. Kathryn climbed into bed and pulled the covers up. She turned off the lights and closed her eyes and eventually fell into a deep sleep.
 
Kellie entered Slytherin's girls' dorm room. She put on her black gown and collapsed onto a bed and fell asleep right then.
 
The next morning, Kathryn got dressed and walked outside the dormitory, where she found Ron standing against the wall waiting for her. He smiled and walked alongside with her. Hermione came out of the dormitory. She cleared her throat to get Ron's attention. “You forgot to wait for someone,” she said to him. Kathryn stopped, letting Hermione catch up. Harry joined shortly after.
 
“Okay, we go to Potions first, right?” asked Ron.
 
“Relax Ron, we have to eat first. And yes, potions are first,” said Hermione.
 
They continued to walk along the stairs until suddenly they passed Slytherin's dormitory. They saw Draco and Kellie walk side by side upstairs. Kellie smiled and waved at Kathryn but Draco knocked shoulders with Ron. Ron looked back at him, wanting to say something nasty, but Draco eyed him and came his way.
 
“How dare I run into a piece of rubbish like YOU,” said Draco. Harry and Hermione continued along, never noticing the sudden stop. Kathryn stayed beside of Ron.
 
“Hey, that's not polite. What has he ever done to you to make you like this?” asked Kathryn with an angry expression.
 
“Why don't you just stay out of this you filthy Gryffindor,” Draco growled.
 
Ron began to shout at him for insulting her but he was interrupted by Kellie, who shouted instead. “HEY, THAT'S MY SISTER YOU'RE TALKING TO! NO ONE EVER-”
 
“Why don't you stay out of this, too?!” yelled Draco. Kellie growled furiously and blushed angrily. Kathryn glared at him seriously. “As I was saying, weasel,” he continued, “now I have to wash my expensive cloak that my father bought for me since it bathed in your filth. At least MY father can afford SOAP.”
 
“Come on Kathryn, let's go,” said Ron glaring at him with his eyes burning with hatred. He put his hand on Kathryn's shoulder blade and began to guide her along. But she turned back…
 
Draco began to laugh, but stopped when he felt a fist slam against his jaw. He twirled around to see who would attempt to do such a thing. It was Kathryn. He couldn't believe it; the shy little girl who wore her heart on her sleeve actually hurt him? He growled fiercely but calmed down. “It's against my manners to hit a girl,” he said smiling slightly, but Kathryn could tell he was burned with anger. “I wouldn't want to disobey my father, now would I?”
 
Kathryn's eyebrow twitched as she continued to glare at him angrily. Draco looked at Ron and Kathryn once more then continued to walk along to his destination. Kellie headed with him, but stopped to turn around and wink at Kathryn and wave. Kathryn waved back and smiled.
 
“That was… brilliant,” he said to himself. He turned to Draco, who was walking upstairs. “Oh, and by the way, my father can afford soap. At least mine can afford love unlike yours,” he said up to him. Draco scowled in annoyance, but continued to walk along.
 
Ron laughed slightly and shook his head. “Wow,” he said in amusement, “I've never…” he laughed once more and laid his hand back on back of her shoulder. “I never thought you would do something like that… Did he make you that upset?”
 
“Yes, I was standing up for you,” she said shyly. She began to blush along with Ron.
 
“Oh,” he said surprised. “Well, thanks.”
 
“You're welcome.”
 
Kathryn and Ron finally made it to the breakfast room. They caught up with Harry and Hermione while looking for a place to sit.
 
“Where were you guys?” asked Hermione, “Why didn't you tell us you stopped?”
 
“Let's just say we had a small encounter and it wasn't well appreciated and you guys just kept walking on,” said Ron putting a spoonful of eggs in his mouth. He looked over to Kathryn. “Trust Hermione to leave when you need her the most.” Hermione just rolled her eyes and went back to eating.
 
“Don't listen to him,” she said to Kathryn. “He has no clue…”
 
Kathryn looked over to Ron and smiled. “Soap?” she asked, making Ron laugh with food in his mouth. She looked ahead to where they could make eye contact with her. “How do you feel about… an animagus?”
 
“You mean the people who can change into either wolves or dogs?” asked Hermione.
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Well I think they're a great part of history. Take Sirius black for an example,” said Hermione.
 
“I like them, I live with one,” said Harry. “I live with Sirius and he's not bad. Besides they can only change if they want to.”
 
“I think they're okay, as long as they don't try to dislocate my ankle,” said Ron recalling the year before when Sirius had bitten his leg and drug him underneath the whomping willow.
 
“Okay,” said Kathryn taking her plate of food. “Just curious…”
 
“Guys, Quittich tryouts are tomorrow,” said Harry looking at all three of them smiling. “Dumbledore said our first game is in about a week.”
 
“You know we'll be there, Harry,” said Hermione. “all three of us.”
 
“A week?” Ron sighed. “It's supposed to be freezing that day…”
 
“Oh well, bring a coat,” said Hermione. She looked down at her watch and gasped. “We're going to be late for class!” she exclaimed. She hurriedly picked up her books along with Kathryn.
 
Kathryn looked back at Ron. “Aren't you coming, Ron?” she asked. Hermione stopped and waited for her.
 
“Nah, you go ahead. We've still got ten minutes anyway. Save me a spot and I'll be right there,” he said. Kathryn smiled. “Okay,” she said before running with Hermione into the hallway.
 
Harry turned to talk to Ron. “So? What do you think?”
 
“Of what?”
 
“Of Kathryn,” said Harry smiling.
 
“Oh, um she- she's nice…” said Ron blushing.
 
“You like her, don't you?” asked Harry, who was starting to laugh.
 
“As a friend, yeah.”
 
Harry laughed and shook his head. “Alright,” he said smiling. He picked up his books and started to walk along. “See you in class.”