Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ A wolf in Sheep Attire ❯ Seras Missing ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

This story was down for a long time, but I'm back now and intend to finish it come heck or high water, or at least try. (Hey I'm being honest here.) These are the chapters I already had up, reworked and polished a bit. More chapters will follow in about a week.
 
Token disclaimer I do not own any of the characters of Hellsing; these belong to people far luckier than me. I do own the fistful of original characters in this story that I pulled out of my head. I'm not writing this for money of any sort, just for the squishy feelings it gives me.
 
This is my take on the Hellsing world. Alicard is a difficult character to write, but he'd not the center of this anyway. Seras and her friend are. If you don't like this, don't read it.
 
Now on with the show - Lady Raven
 
 
Integra stepped out of the armored vehicle. She looked at the building that her troops had fought their way through. This old school had been abandoned for nearly thirty years, ever since a new one had been built and the districts were consolidated. She had a funny feeling about this raid. It was almost like the freaks wanted to be found.
 
“The target threat has been eliminated.” Alucard smirked. “They weren't even a real challenge. These freaks are really starting to bore me. Is a little excitement too much to ask?”
 
Integra just rolled her eyes. “Report, Fergusson; did we suffer any casualties?”
 
Fergusson adjusted his earpiece and listened closely for a few minutes. “Not as far as we know. However we did lose contact with Agent Victoria and several of the men in her unit.”
 
“Police girl can take care of the humans around her.” Alucard interrupted with a slight frown. “She seems to spend far too much time worrying about them and their feelings, if you ask me.”
 
“We didn't.” Integra ignored his interruption. “Send a team to look for them.” At Fergusson's nod she turned to Alucard. “There were freaks you said? All the men reported encountering were ghouls.”
 
“I got four of them.” Alucard shrugged. “They almost seemed happy to see me, fools.” He frowned thoughtfully, “it is strange for there to be so many freaks in one place. It's almost like they were trying to plan something.”
 
“I'll ask all the men if they noticed anything strange.” Fergusson offered. “Maybe someone saw something.”
 
“Sir, Fergusson,” one of the newest recruits was running towards them. His helmet was broken and his uniform was stained with blood. “Sir,” he drew himself up and offered a ragged salute.
 
“What happened?” Integra demanded.
 
“What happened Taylor?” Fergusson tried to calm the young man. He was nearly hysteric.
 
It's Miss Victoria, Sir,” Taylor turned to Fergusson. “We can't find her. We think she left the building without telling anyone.”
 
“What!” Alucard's voice was harsh. He moved in front of Taylor and lifted him off the ground. “What happened?”
 
“Uhh,” Taylor stammered. “Sampson and I were following behind her like she told us too. She was swinging her Harkonnen and knocking ghouls to bits. She hit them, we shot them. We were standing in front of the cafeteria, when all of a sudden two freaks jumped out on us. Me and Sampson, I mean. One got me down and started banging my head into the floor. The other tore into Sampson like his armor was made out of toilet paper. Seras just seemed to snap.”
 
“What do you mean she snapped?” Alucard shook the recruit like a dog with a chew toy. “I want details.”
 
“Maybe you'd find out quicker if you put him down!” Fergusson glared at Alucard. He was going to scare the poor boy into a fit if he kept this up.
 
“Put him down now, Alucard” Integra ordered.
 
“No.” Alicard shook his head. “Not till I find out what I want to know.”
Integra was taken back. Alucard had never refused a direct order before. Whatever was going on with Seras had to be incredibly important to him.
 
“Speak,” Alucard ordered Taylor.
 
“I mean she went mad, like crazy!” Taylor swallowed. He'd much rather be back in the old school with the freaks and ghouls than out here; especially since he was dealing with Seras' master. “She dropped her gun to the floor and threw herself at the freaks barehanded. She jumped the one that had Sampson and tore its head right off, with her hands. I got kicked to the side by the remaining freak and it leapt at her. He said something about Hellsing wasn't who they expected, but they were glad to see her anyway. They were rolling around on the tile, scratching and biting like animals.” Taylor shuttered. That had been the scariest part. The Seras that tried so hard not to frighten the new recruits, ripping those guys apart. He could have sworn her eyes were completely blood red.
 
“What did he mean we weren't who they expected?” Integra wondered. “Fergusson, I want every thing that seemed strange about this building analyzed; no matter how small or trivial it seems”.
 
“Yes Sir.”
 
“Then what happened?” Alucard demanded.
 
“She threw the freak through the doors.” Taylor looked down at Alucard's gleaming fangs and tried not to whimper. “Seras checked Sampson out, then she told me to help him up and get out of there. She waited till we were moving down the hallway, then she blew up the door to the cafeteria with her Harkonnen.”
 
“You left her alone, with who knows how many freaks and ghouls?” Alucard's voice was deadly calm. He tightened his grip on Taylor's neck.
 
“She told us to run,” Taylor gasped. “I didn't want to leave her.”
 
“Alucard,” Integra turned to face the vampire. Taylor was slowly turning blue. “Let him go. I will not have you hurting any of Hellsing's troops.”
 
“I… men…” Taylor struggled to speak.
 
Alucard looked at the angry faces of Integra and Fergusson. He dropped Taylor.
Taylor hit the ground with an audible thump. “I took some men back and we looked for her,” he wheezed. “I didn't just abandon her. But all we found was dead ghouls, dead freaks and a broken window. Those freaks looked like they'd been through a blender.”
 
“Don't send anyone after me.” Alucard glared at Integra for a moment. Then he disappeared.
 
Alucard looked though the ruined building. It hadn't been in that bad of shape before, but now it had some fairly large holes in it. The floor was littered with the bodies of ghouls. There was no sign of Seras.
 
He walked down the hallway towards the cafeteria. It was the last place the man claimed to have seen her.
 
He raised an eyebrow as he got closer. There was a puddle of blood on the floor, next to a headless freak. Blood painted the ceiling and the walls nearest to the corpse. Beyond was what remained of the doorway. Seras' Harkonnen lay in front of the doors. The smell of melted metal and burned flesh was very strong, but first things first.
 
Alucard knelt beside the puddle of blood. He dipped his fingers in it and licked the blood from them. “Human, probably from that Sampson.” He grinned as he examined the dead freak. It was very rare for Seras to kill anything unless she had to. These humans must have really meant something to her. Good, she could have all the human pets she wanted if it would make her fight harder.
 
He walked into the next room and laughed. The freaks really did look like they had been shredded. There were body parts everywhere. Some of the freaks looked like they had been bitten. And at least one seemed to have its eyes gouged out. The ghouls had obviously been destroyed by her Harkonnen shot.
 
Judging from the remains, there had been at least five more freaks. Alucard frowned. Why were they gathering in such large numbers? And what exactly had happened to make Seras go berserk?
 
In the center of the carnage; the floor was smeared with blood. It looked like someone had struggled while wounded severely. By the smear was a long bladed knife. It seemed oddly familiar. He knelt beside the knife and lifted it. It was the blade that Seras always carried with her. He hesitantly tasted the blood from the smear. It was hers as well.
 
Alucard's eyes turned red in fury. Who had dared to injure his fledgling? Now that he concentrated, this room was rank with the smell of her blood. He'd been so busy admiring her work, that he hadn't paid attention to anything else. He shut his eyes and searched for her presence, but he couldn't find a trace of her. If she was still alive, she'd have to be a long ways away or unconscious. She had to be alive! He'd know if his only fledgling had been destroyed, wouldn't he?
 
Alucard traced the scent of her blood to the broken window. It looked like she had left, but why? And why didn't she call him for help, he would have come.
 
He stood in the alley outside the window. There was blood on the grass, like she had lain beneath the window. There was also blood from someone else; a freak. The two scents were intermixed, like they had been there together at the same time.
 
He'd head back to Hellsing for now, but he'd keep his senses open for her. When she awakened, he'd find her. No matter where she was.