Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ A wolf in Sheep Attire ❯ The Missing ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Again I do not own anyone on thing from Hellsing and I'm not making a red cent from writing this. If I was you'd be reading this out of a book. I do own the fistful of original characters because I thought them up. Now on with the show.
 
 
 
Ruby tugged the collar of her jacket up. It was pretty wet and miserable. The wind chilled things as well. She sped up, trying to get home quicker. There wouldn't be any heat, or electricity, or even running water, but at least the roof didn't leak yet, a lot anyway.
 
A low moan sounded from a nearby alleyway. Ruby slowed and walked over carefully. The sound made her think of all the zombie films she had watched and the nights they had kept her awake. Zombies were possibly the creepiest thing she could think of.
 
Lying in the shadows was a still figure. Ruby swallowed and crept forward. “No zombies, no zombies,” she chanted. The closer Ruby got the worse the figure looked. It was a girl, and she looked like she had been, chewed on?
 
Ruby knelt beside the girl and hesitantly reached towards her neck. She wasn't exactly sure where to search for a pulse, but she could at least try. The girl's skin was ice cold. She had to be dead.
 
Ruby looked around franticly. Had she found a murder victim? Was the murderer around somewhere? Maybe she should get the cops, or whatever London had that passed as such.
 
Now that she was closer, the girl really looked like she had been gnawed on. The bite marks though, they looked a little strange. Cursing her curiosity, Ruby got even closer. She gently moved the girl's arm, to look at the wound on her shoulder.
 
The hand flexed, and then grabbed a hold of her wrist. Ruby screamed as loud as she could and slapped at it with her free hand.
 
The girl lifted her head; amethyst eyes looked right at Ruby's face. “Help me,” the girl spoke in a weak voice. “Don't leave me out here.”
 
Ruby stared at the girl in shock. She had fangs and red eyes, she was a vampire! As least she wasn't one of those rotting brain eating undead. Ruby had always wondered if vampires really did exist somewhere. The stories were so culturally and nationally prevalent to not have a bit of truth in them somewhere.
 
The girl let Ruby's hand go. She brought her hands to her side and tried to drag herself forward.
 
Ruby froze for a second. Could she actually leave this creature here to die? Then she grabbed the girl under the arms and lifted her to her feet. She swayed badly, but Ruby managed to brace her with an arm around her shoulders.
 
It was a good thing that her place was close. She didn't have the strength to move the vampire very far and the sun would be up in about an hour. And that would probably be a very bad thing, at least for the vampire.
 
Ruby was panting by the time they reached her place. Both she and the girl were trembling. Ruby pushed the door open and walked inside. She shut the door behind them with a foot.
 
“It's a good thing this place has a basement.” Ruby half carried, half dragged the vampire down the hallway to the door. She wished she had the time to light a couple of candles, but if she let the girl down now; she wouldn't be able to get her moving again. Hell she might not be able to get herself moving either.
 
Going down the stairs in the dark was the hardest part. Especially when the person you are leading is all but limp. Ruby sighed in relief when her feet reached the floor. All the windows were already boarded up, so all Ruby had to do was find something soft to lay her down on. Then they could both rest.
 
Seras moaned and tossed in her sleep. She had been sleeping for so long. She could almost hear someone calling for her, someone was worried about her. She tried to rouse, but she was still so tired. “Master,” she whispered.”
 
 
 
 
“Still no sign of her?” Integra asked Alucard. “I have men searching that alley and the city around it.”
 
“Are you sure she's not dead?” Walter asked softly. The thought distressed him to no end. “It's been three days. If she was caught out in the sun in such a weakened state…you did say there was a great deal of her blood on the floor.”
 
“If she was gone, I would know.” Alucard spoke firmly. This idea was the only thing that kept him from tearing the city apart brick by brick. The belief that he would know if his fledgling was no more. He faded through the floor and down into his room. He frowned at the blood bag cooling on the table.
 
Everything seemed to remind him of her. The two human's she'd protected had even dared approach him, saying they were going to join the search. Sampson, the wounded one said he would not stop searching till she was found.
 
If only he had paid more attention to what was going on around him. He'd played with the freaks, tearing them to pieces. Showing them what a real vampire could do.
 
Alucard paced the floor. All the harsh things he'd ever said to her, all the times he'd mocked her, were all coming back to haunt him. Perhaps she wasn't the greatest vampire, but she had been his fledgling. It was his duty to teach her, not revile her.
 
“Seras,” he whispered. He hadn't even called her by her name. Always Police girl, sometimes a very rare Victoria. What he wouldn't do to go back and change the way he'd treated her.
 
Alucard shut his eyes and searched for her. Trying to find that now precious connection that she'd refused to break. He pushed his mind to its limits.
 
“Master,” for a second a soft voice reached him. He'd found her! After the brief word, all was silent. He cocked his head, replaying the feelings she unconsciously sent.
 
He erupted through the floor into Integra's office
.
“Back so soon?” Integra looked at him over her cigar. Walter merely lifted an eyebrow at the vampire's sudden reappearance.
 
“She's alive!” Alucard all but shouted. The looks on their faces were almost worth his near loss of control.
 
“I heard her calling to me. Just for a second and it was faint, but she's alive.”
 
“Where is she?” Integra demanded. She would never admit it to him, but she had come to respect the girl. She might have been a vampire, but she was one of the nicest people Integra had ever met. She knew that Walter was also greatly relieved by the news that Seras was still alive.
 
“I don't know where she is,” Alucard nearly growled. “She's very weak, possibly near death. All I know is that she's alive right now.” Alucard tried to restrain himself from giving into the urge to break something. "She had to go somewhere from that broken window, but where? I should go look for her myself.”
 
“Not yet,” For once Integra was glad to have a reason to send Alucard out; usually it meant more citizen of England had been foully murdered. In this instance, it was truly fortunate. The last thing London needed was Alucard tearing it to pieces; again. “I received a report earlier about a possible freak sighting. I want you to go check it out.” She held up a hand to stop his protest. “The last group of freaks was up to something. I need to know what, if anything, this group is planning. “
 
Alucard ground his teeth together. The urge to go out and find his lost one, was nearly overwhelming. How dare Integra send him somewhere else. Perhaps if he killed something, he'd feel better. He vanished into the night.
 
“Do you think it was wise to send him out in that state of mind?” Walter asked gently. “I'm sure Fergusson's men could have handled it.”
 
“I'd rather Alucard didn't tear several blocks of London down brick by brick.” Integra spoke dryly. “I doubt there would be much left if he looked for her.”