Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ A New Battle ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
14

Julia glided across the sky, with Tobias a wingtip behind, searching for Rachiel. She let her mind drift across the city shifting through the chaos of human minds seeking a young frightened fledgling. She found her near the Times. Rachiel’s mind was sending out two distinctly different emotions. One was a clear feeling of worry and fear, the other was fainter and seemed at peace. It was as if a second calmer spirit was within Rachiel.

Julia turned her wings and glided towards the glittering river below. Rachiel sat on the muddy encampment of earth beside the murky water in the shadow of a concrete wall. She was clad in a now filthy yellow dress stained with blood and dirt. Her pale skin was no cleaner, and she posses only one scuffed black shoe. He long blond hair fell in damp locks hiding her face and most of her young curveless form.

She looked up when she sensed Julia’s presence and used her left hand to push the hair from her eyes. She had a child’s face, small and delicate, but without the natural baby fat. Her eyes where not that of Tobias’s forgetfulness nor Julia’s timeless age, but of true innocents. She was only twelve, and had lost her human life only the year before. A smile graced her lips when she saw Julia. In an instant she was on her feet collapsing in her grand sire arms.

“Thank the god’s. I though I was alone,” she murmured, her English softened by her light French accent. Julia held her for a moment until her shaking calmed, and then pulled back, in order to meet her eyes.

“Where is Michael?” she asked. For a moment it seemed as if Rachiel would cry but she fought back the tears.

“He’s dead, and so is Joshua.”

“Joshua?” asked Julia.

“My human brother.” Rachiel’s fight against her emotions was failing and blood tears tumbled silently from her eyes.

“What happened?” asked Julia as kindly as she could.

“Vatican hunters found us in Paris. They cornered us and Michael fought them and ordered me and Joshua to run. The Vatican hunters killed Michael. I sensed it soon after we fled. We went to England because Michael said you would be there,” there was a hint of bitterness in her voice. “You weren’t, we couldn’t find you. The two hunters caught up with us. They tried to kill me and Joshua protected me. He got shot in the stomach.

“We managed to get away again but his wound was fatal. He told me to drink his blood so his soul could stay in this world and guide me. A human found me after I had taken Joshua’s life blood and was driving a knife through his heart, so he would not return as a ghoul. I had to abandon his body. I know the hunters are following me, but I don’t have the strength left to run anymore.”

Her words where cut off by a yell from Tobias, who had been standing of few feet away. In her distraction Julia had not sensed the approaching paladin, but now she realized he and two human females where drawing near. A fury of blades rained down on them. Julia grabbed Rachiel and leapt out of the way. Tobias whirled to face their opponent, catching a blade in his right hand and deflecting the other ones that flew at him

Anderson leapt forward out of the shadows, but raced past Tobias. He was not concerned with a fledgling, his opponent was Julia. Julia threw Rachiel behind herself and held her ground ready to fight. “Tobias take Rachiel and run!” She yelled drawing her daggers and parlaying Anderson’s attacks.

“I’m not leaving you,” yelled back Tobias diving at Anderson and trying to stab him with his own blade. Anderson whirled on him and raised a knife to strike, but Julia took the momentary opening to slash him across the eyes. Anderson stumbled back temporarily blinded.

“Damn it Tobias, I can’t protect you both!”

“I can fight.”

“Then protect Rachiel!” Defiance flashed in Tobias’s eyes, but he obeyed her. He ran past Julia and snatching up Rachiel’s hands pulled her to her feet. Once they where gone Julia turned to face Anderson. He was on his feet, blood dripping down his face. “I’ll kill you this time beast!” he snarled.
“Like you killed the human boy?” shot back Julia circling the priest looking for an opening.

“He consorted with demons and deserved it, but it wasn’t me who killed him. Heinkel got the shot in.

“Who?”

“None of your concern vampire. Now die!” They met in a clatter of steel and pulled apart. Anderson managed to drive a blade into Julia’s shoulders and she cut him across the neck. As the moon rose the two immortals battled on.

Tobias and Rachiel scrambled up the slippery stone steps. Tobias could have changed his form and flown, but Rachiel was too young of a vampire to yet even know how. Tobias was slowed down by Rachiel, but he could not abandon her. They had never even known of each other’s existence before, yet the blood tie between them made them instant comrades.

When they reached the street level a shot rang out. Tobias crumbled to the ground with a bullet through the chest. Before Rachiel could help him she was pinned against the wall with a Japanese katana against her throat, the wild eyes of a Japanese nun locked with hers. Rachiel shoved as hard as she could and sent the young woman back a few steps and bolted for Tobias, who was on his feet facing off with a German looking woman dressed as a priest.

Rachiel could hear her brother’s voice in the back of her mind begging to let him fight for her. She closed her eyes and let her spirit take over. She leapt at the priest woman fists clenched in the way of an angry young man. She caught her by surprise knocking the gun out of her hands and bother of them to the ground.

The nun seeing Tobias distracted lunged at him with her sword. Tobias parlayed her with on of Anderson’s blades which he still held.

Alucard watched his descendents battle, seeing that although Tobias was strong he was no match for Yumie’s sword skills, nor was the soul that now controlled Rachiel a fair opponent for Heinkel . He longed to join the fray, so he mentally called to Integra. “I’ve watched Julia as you asked. She found the fledgling, but some Vatican dogs are attacking them. Do you want me to intervene.

Integra was in her bedroom wearing a nightgown and untangling her hair when she heard Alucard’s voice. She dropped the brush.

“What do you mean there’s more than one Iscarot agent in London?” She asked quickly pulling on a heavy coat over her nightgown, and yanking on shoes.

“It’s Anderson and two others near London Bridge. Julia and her whelps are holding their own but probably not for long.”

“There breaking the blood treaty again!” snarled Integra as she snatched up the phone to call Walter and tell him to bring the car around. “Alucard, you interfere unless Julia or Tobias are about to be killed. Wait until I get there.”

“Can’t I fight Anderson?” There was playful pleading in Alucard’s voice.

“No!”

“Fine.”

Jul ia fell back as a blade cut her shoulder. She couldn’t get near the paladin and she was losing blood from her wounds quicker than she could heal them. Anderson was at least beginning to look tired, but he hadn’t lost his breath to curse her with.

Julia finally say a chance as Anderson flung two blades forward at her. She took the two blows and sprang forward pressing the palms of her hand against his forehead. She tore at his mind searching for the memory she set lose last time they battled, but it was locked to deep for her to reach. So instead she gave him one of Tobias’s memories of Auschwitz. It had left Julia shaking long after she had helped Tobias work through it.
The memory caused Anderson to stumble back shaking his head, but it did not have the desired effect of bringing him to his knees. Julia had forgotten just how much Anderson had seen. Anderson opened his eyes and jammed a blade through her chest missing her heart by an inch. Julia stumbled backward and Anderson lunged forward. He drove a blade through each of her hands and trapping them to the ground with is holy magic. Julia struggled but could not move.
Anderson laughed coldly, “I’ve finally trapped you monster,” and drew another blade. He didn’t realize that in his distraction he had left his mind open and Julia used the shreds of the just torn mental link to send him another memory.

This time it was her own. It was the memory of her death, except she let him see through the eyes of her attacker. Anderson dropped his blade as he found himself suddenly starring into the frightened brown eyes of a dying teenage girl. He knew that it was a trick and he had a vampire trapped not a human, yet when he raised another blade he couldn’t strike.

She looked to much like one of the many orphans he watched over. Anderson had killed humans before, but never a child or youth, and he couldn’t not do it now even if he knew it was merely an illusion. He could never harm an innocent. He drew back and temporarily away from Julia. She seized the opportunity and using her teeth yanked the blade from her right hand, and then bulled the blade from her left hand with it. She sprang to her feet and fled. She knew she should finish the fight but she sensed Tobias and Rachiel needed her.

Tobias was hardly holding his own against Yumie. He could deflect her, but not strike any blows of his own. Rachiel and Heinkel tumbled across the ground each trying to throw off or injure the other. Even against Rachiel’s Vampire strength Heinkel was winning. She was by far the more skilled fighter.

Then Yumie finally gained the advantage and drove her sword through his heart. He collapsed onto her blade, but did not turn to dust, because he was too old of a vampire to be killed by anything short of his heart being completely destroyed.

Yumie was twisting the blade when Julia struck her sending her violently into a nearby wall where she hit her head and slumped unconscious. Heinkel seeing her comrade fall finally disentangled herself from Rachiel and snatching up her gun ran to stand over the now unconscious nun. Julia caught Tobias before he fell and pulled the blade from him. He went limp in her arms. Rachiel sprang up from where she was and ran to Julia’s side.

The vampires and the hunters glared at each other for a long moment. Then they heard the sound of a car in the distance. A Rollsroice pulled into view and screeched to a halt. Integra exited followed by Walter. She turned her cold eyes on the two members of section thirteen. “What are you doing in England” she snapped.

Heinkel held her ground and spoke as calmly as she could. “We where in pursuit of that vampire.” She pointed at Rachiel, who glared back at her, still possessing her brothers eyes.

“Regardless of that you broke the treaty.”

“In clause seven it says that trespasses are permitted in the case of active pursuit.” Heinkel maintained her battle air, but it was clear she was more accustom to shooting that diplomacy, and she was out of her element.

“Only if the object of the hunt I a significant risk to both Great Britain and Catholic controlled countries. That vampire is an orphaned fledgling. Hellsing was already moving to exterminate her, the Vatican had no reason to assume Hellsing would be unable to deal with her ourselves.” There was a clear threat in Integra’s voice.

“We where also trying to draw out the Vampire Julia, she has been giving section thirteen trouble for centuries.”

“The clause does not permit an operation of that degree on English soil. You have broken the treaty and must withdraw now. I will contact your superiors to discuss the diplomatic consequences.”

It was then that a blade cut through the air headed towards Integra. Of course Walter caught it with his wires, and stepped between Integra and the breathless Paladin, who had just run up the stairs. For a moment he paused trying to asses the situation.

“Don’t fight them now. Yumiko is hurt and we need to withdrawal.” Heinkel’s voice was commanding, and tinted just slightly with the fear she felt for her partner. Yet her words had little affect on Anderson.

“Not when I can see the demons before me!” Growled Anderson moving towards Julia and her kind menacingly, his hand already drawing another blade. Alucard chose that moment to make himself known. He materialized out of thin air, guns drawn and looking maniacally happy.

“Stand down the both of you!” Ordered Integra seeing how the situation was heading. “Anderson your in no situation to raise conflict. Your in violation of a treaty, outnumbered, and one of your comrades is injured. Withdraw before the situation escalates. You may be a regenerator but I’m sure their not.” Integra motioned towards Heinkel and the still motionless Yumiko.

“Don’t you want our help exterminating these beasties,” said Anderson his voice mocking as he pointed a blade towards Julia and her kind behind Alucard. Alucard looked as if he was just barely restraining his urge to go for Anderson’s throat.

Integra did not bat an eye, “they are under Hellsing protection. Harm them and it will be war between Hellsing and Iscarot.” Anderson made a low snarling sound and moved as if her would attack Alucard anyway. It was Heinkel who yelled angrily for him to stop. She was kneeling beside Yumiko checking her pulse.

“Anderson her pulse is getting low, we have to get out of here now or she will die!” The fury in Heinkel’s words sobered Anderson and with a scowl at Integra he strode past the vampires to Yumiko. In one motion he leaned down and gently picked up the nun, cradling her head carefully. He cast one glance over his shoulder and said, “This isn’t over,” then he walked away carrying Yumiko, Heinkel close behind.

the footsteps of the hunters died away Julia glanced nervously at the rising sun. She gathered Tobias into her arms quickly and giving Rachiel a commanding glance, prepared to run.

“You have no where to go,” said Integra watching them calmly.

“I doubt we’re welcome at Hellsing,” replied Julia beginning to walk away glancing desperately for a sewer or subway entrance.

“You can’t get underground before the sun rises, and in your fledglings weakened state they will be turned to dust at the first rays.”

“Are you offering help or mocking me?” asked Julia doubtfully.

“I’m offering to allow you to resume your place at Hellsing,” said Integra honestly. Though she tried not to show it, she hoped desperately that Julia would come with her. She knew Julia had been weakened enough that the sun could harm even her, and she did not want Tobias to come to greater harm.

“And if we come will you kill Rachiel as you are so determined to do?”

“I will allow you to plead her case again, and if I come to the same decision as before I will give her a days head start.” Julia still looked doubtful. Integra threw away all attempts at civility.

“Damn it Julia! You have my word neither you nor yours will be hurt under my roof. Now get in the car before the sun burns up the lot of you!” Julia realizing the danger of her situation and the sincerity of the Hellsing leaders words, obeyed. Carrying Tobias with Rachiel at her heel she scrambled into the back of the car. Integra slipped in and closed the door behind her saying nothing of the cramped quarters. Walter took the front passenger seat and they where moving.

He hit a button on the dashboard and the back windows darkened until no light could enter and a divider separated the back from the from of the car so no light could penetrate from the windshield. The passengers in the back seat adjusted. Rachiel laid down bellow the seats at Juila’s feat wearily, now again herself not her brother. Tobias remained still in Julia’s lap his eyes still closed, and Integra never stirred from her seat.

“What’s wrong with him?” asked Integra not understanding why the vampire had not yet regenerated.

“Tobias was pieced through the heart, but it was only injured not destroyed. He can survive, but his life is in the balance. I have to give him some of my blood to help him heal.” Making no delay Julia tore her own wrist with her teeth and pressed it to Tobias’s cold lips. He never opened his eyes but began to nurse from the wound like an infant. Slowly one of his hands rose as if to clasp Julia’s arm, but she held it down.

Rachiel watched with soundless fascination, hunger clear in her eyes. After a moment Julia pulled her hand back from Tobias who was to weary to reach for it, though he made a small cry like that of a puppy removed from it’s mother.

Julia offered the same wrist to the younger fledgling. Rachiel took Julia’s wrist into her open hands and began to lap at the wound, like a kitten milk, daring not to bite for fear she would lose control and take to much blood. Weakly Julia pulled her arm back from Rachiel who surrendered it grudgingly. She held a black handkerchief to the wound until it closed then leaned back faint from the blood loss. Sleep overtook her quickly and Rachiel closed her eyes soon after.

Integra watched the whole ritual silently. Julia was a mother cat with two kittens. After seeing the innocent intimacy between the predators she could not fault Julia for protecting Rachiel, no more than she could a mother for protecting her child. Tobias and Rachiel truly did look like children, Tobias with his almost Angelic brown locks at the sweet stage before manhood, and Rachiel with the unavoidable scrawniness of that point in life when a girl is grows faster than she can eat. Julia herself seemed too young to be a matron with her plain face, free of lines and small body only at the first stager of gaining a woman’s curves.

Integra was a hunter and killer of vampires, but she knew she could never hurt these three, even Rachiel. They now seemed to human, to innocent. This scene would still haunt her even when waking would return the age to Julia and Tobias’s eyes. The years would never change those three. They would be forever cloaked by youth’s innocents, and youth’s innocents betrayed.