Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Christmas Musings ❯ Christmas Musings ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Christmas Musings

Disclaimer: These characters are all the property of Kohta Hirano. I am only playing with them and will put them back where they belong when I'm done. Even Alucard (too bad…).

Christmas Eve. The annual Hellsing party. Alucard skirted the festivities and made his way to the balcony, his heavy boots beating out a counterpoint to the music playing. He knew that he'd find his Master there. Why Integra insisted on holding a party she did not attend was yet another human foolishness Alucard did not understand.

Alucard made his way outside and stood at Integra's side. Her gaze did not stray from the scene of London stretched before them. Alucard could see the Christmas lights twinkling in the streets and houses below them. Strains of music from the party drifted out through the open door.

Integra inhaled deeply on the cigar in her hand and blew out the smoke. "How is the party going?" she asked. She continued to stare out on the city, her mood betrayed only by the empty tone of her voice.

His own face in the shadow cast by his broad-rimmed red hat, Alucard turned and studied Integra's face. "Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. Seras is performing her yearly rendition of Santa Baby for the new men. The others seem to have been discussing it at length and the newer soldiers were quite insistent upon seeing it." As if to support her Master's words, Seras' voice wafted out to them. Catcalls and laughter echoed after.

Integra shook her blonde head and snorted with derision. "She'll have a hangover tomorrow. That should do her some good in my opinion." She pulled on the cigar in her hand and let the smoke drift out into the night.

"In my opinion, drinking the blood of some of those healthy young soldiers in there would do her much more good," Alucard baited. Smiling, his long teeth shining, he waited for Integra's reply, only to be disappointed.

"And Walter?" Integra enquired, still staring ahead. The cigar ember glowed brightly as she inhaled again.

"Hard to say, my Master. It is difficult to judge if he is there to stop the performance or enjoy it himself," Alucard answered. As he spoke, he turned to face the city once more. His shoulder touched Integra's as they stood together.

Integra looked sideways at Alucard and chuckled. "You're impossible, Alucard."

"Yet here I am, Master."

Integra looked up at the stars. Her long, blonde hair gleamed in the moonlight. "Do you ever miss being human at Christmas, Alucard?" She studied the stars hard as she waited for his reply.

Alucard thought for a moment. "In my own way, I was as devout as any Christian of my time. Why, there was one Christmas when I…", he began.

Integra interrupted. "Not another one of your ghastly stories. Not on Christmas Eve," she demanded.

"No, no, this is a good one….", Alucard started again, only to be interrupted once more, this time by the sound of gunshots and men's voices singing from within the ballroom. He could hear Seras giggling as she danced with a few of the younger soldiers.

Integra listened to the sounds of her men celebrating Christmas in their soldiers' way, then studied Alucard for a moment. She walked to the edge of the balcony and leaned upon the railing. Quietly, Integra asked, "Have you ever been in love, Alucard?" Her blue eyes did not stray from the courtyard below her.

Alucard joined Integra and perched himself on the railing, his long thin legs dangling over the edge. "There have only been a few women over the centuries who I felt were strong enough, that I admired enough." He studied Integra's face, now cast in shadows.

Integra's hair fell into her face. "I've never been in love. It's funny," she mused.

"What is, my Master?" Alucard asked.

It took Integra several minutes to answer. Alucard waited patiently. "Seras and I," she said finally and with some bitterness. "She was born to be a mother. Now, thanks to you, she never can be. Someday I must be. For this House, this Organization to continue. And I am ill-suited to that task." Integra shook her head and fell silent.

Alucard slid off the railing and straightened his tall frame, his black hair moving in a chill, winter breeze. Commanding Integra's attention, he spoke. "My Master. Integra."

Integra met Alucard's eyes for the first time that night. "Alucard?" The rare moment of raw vulnerability was there for anyone to see.

Alucard looked Integra squarely in the eyes. "Seras will someday make a superb mother to her own child, of sorts. You may yet surprise yourself. What are you waiting for?" His red eyes burned into hers until she was forced to look away.

From inside, they could hear the party beginning to wind down. Several men leaned out of the doorway to wish Sir Integra a Happy Christmas. Not sure what to say to Alucard, they waved and said good night. Walter and Seras started to walk out to speak with Alucard and Integra before retiring. But they changed their minds suddenly as Seras clamped a hand to her mouth and Walter helped her make a dash for the bathroom.

Alucard smiled. "I never have to vomit when I overindulge. Well, almost never. There was that really nasty Globe reporter…." He stopped and glanced at Integra. "Happy Christmas, Master." He put a hand into his coat pocket and drew out a package.

Integra took the present and handed Alucard a small box in return. She unwrapped her gift. Inside was a simple silver frame with the Hellsing cross in one corner. The frame contained an old black and white photograph of three men. Integra's eyes welled with tears as she stared at the image of her father, young and strong, smiling out at her from the doorway of a castle. The photograph appeared to have been taken during World War II. A youthful Walter stood next to him, laughing at some joke her father had told. Off to the side, the self-same Alucard lazed against a wall, with a familiar wide maniacal grin on his face.

Integra tried to compose herself quickly. She shyly wiped away a tear and looked up. "This photograph. I don't think I've ever seen it before."

"I asked Walter to dig up something new out of the archives." Alucard grinned. He opened the package Integra had given him. Alucard looked inside the box for a moment and then lifted out a small clear cube with a red center, attached to a black silk cord. He gazed at it, then gave Integra an questioning look.

Integra shrugged. "There's a small explosive charge. Should the cube be broken, the blood will be destroyed." Unsure what to say, she turned away to stare once more at the city, now gradually dimming as Londoners retired for the night. Off in the distance, she could just make out Ben's face as it tolled the hour.

Alucard smiled and slipped the cord over his neck, settling the cube under his shirt against his chest. "Despite your apparent lack of trust, I am deeply moved." Once more, he stood staring out at the city with Integra, his shoulder just inches from hers.

They stood like that for several moments, each reflecting on their own thoughts. Integra glanced down at her watch. "It's getting late. I should go in." She turned to go back inside the house.

Alucard watched Integra walk away for a moment. Her back was ramrod straight but he could still hear the syncopation of her heartbeat. He spoke quietly. "Happy Christmas, Integra."

Integra froze for a moment. She turned back to Alucard and smiled ruefully. "Happy Christmas, Alucard." A moment later, the door closed softly behind her and Alucard was left standing on the balcony alone, his hand playing with the pendant resting on his chest.