Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Dread Nothing ❯ Devil's Night ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“You know the story, don’t you? The legend of Sparda?”

“Don’t spout that kind of rubbish around me, police girl,” Alucard said, not even bothering to look up. Seras laughed. She was standing by one of the room’s tall, decoratively leaded windows, gazing out at the dark sky. The moon was almost full, and looked unnaturally large against the roiling, inky clouds. Maybe it was the time of year - the night before Halloween - but she was sure that there was an eerie atmosphere around. Just a certain chill in the air.

“Sorry,” she said, and absently pushed one gloved hand through her hair. It was just as unruly as ever, and immediately fell back in front of her eyes. “It was just this story that my dad used to tell me, when I was a girl. Just a fairy story really.”

He deigned to glance up from the gun he was so meticulously cleaning and oiling, one brow arching. “Fairy stories? Don’t you think you’re a little old for such things?”

Seras smiled, feeling a little sheepish. She wandered over to the broad table at which he sat, and perched on the edge. It was too high up for her feet to touch the ground and she let her long legs swing with a lazy rhythm. “Maybe,” she said, looking down. “But still, it was a nice story. And a sad one… The dark knight who sacrificed himself to defeat the armies of Hell,” she went on, lending a deliberately dramatic tone to her voice as she recited the words her father had used.

Alucard snorted. “Sounds like a load of romantic nonsense to me,” he replied, the corner of his mouth quirking into a crooked smile.

“Well, maybe it is,” Seras answered with a noncommittal shrug. “But I liked it when I was little. It doesn’t matter if it’s not real…”