Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Fare ❯ Meet Abigail ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
How anyone could or would abandon their newborn fledgling, was incomprehensible to most vampires. But it did happen every so often. When it did, an older vampire would eventually happen across the newly made vampire and take pity on them. Of course, the phrase “taking pity” was open for interpretation. For some, it meant sheltering and teaching the fledgling. To others, who felt that for a fledgling to be separated from its master was a cruel, abominable abnormality, taking pity on the lone fledgling meant putting them out of their misery.

Abigail was neither fortunate nor unfortunate enough to have found herself in either situation. Sometimes, though, she wished that she had been destroyed in those early years, wished that she hadn't survived against all the odds, found her master two hundred years later, and killed him to free herself. Wished she'd been killed before things like this could happen.

Run.

Just keep running.

She phased. The bastards followed. She ran. They gained on her. She hid. They found her.

It was going to come to a fight.

There was no other choice.

DAMN it.”

She stopped running, turned sharply on her heel till she faced them. They caught up quickly. Though she could not see them, she could feel them surrounding her. She calmed herself to the best of her ability, closed her eyes against the brightness of the waxing moon. She could sense them better when her eyes were closed.

In her mind's eye she saw them, hideous, mutilated monsters. Creatures so filled with self-loathing that they hid themselves from the sight of the world.

“Come with me.”

Her eyes snapped open. She felt the person standing back-to-back with her, guarding her.

“Who are you?”

“Does that matter right now? Come with me. I can protect you.”

Abigail carefully considered her options. These things, she could not kill. She couldn't even see them. This person, though, she could see. And she didn't really think that he'd risk his neck by showing up in the middle of this if he was going to kill her later.

“All right.”

She felt the familiar sensation of a cool breeze blowing past her, of her body becoming insubstantial, and then the street before her disappeared as he took her with him to another place. She didn't know where she was being phased to, only that there was nothing she could do to stop it now. They materialized in a chilly, dark stone hallway a fraction of a moment later.

“They won't follow us here.”

She turned to face the speaker, her savior. He had short, spiked, white-silver hair, and pale skin. He was tall, and obviously well built. He wore a white button-up shirt and dark tattooed jeans. His right ear was pierced seven times, and his voice was rich with an unfamiliar accent. And vivid crimson eyes that sparkled even in the dim light of the hallway. He put a finger under her chin and gently closed her mouth.

“It's rude to stare,” he said softly.

Abigail blinked.

“I wasn't.”

“Actually, you were,” said another voice. “It's all right, though. Everyone stares at him.”

Abigail turned to face Victoria.

“Is that so?”

“Yeah. Anyway, my name's Victoria. Most call me 'Officer Seras', but please, call me Victoria,” she smiled, extending her hand to Abigail.

Abigail took the hand and shook it briefly, noting Victoria's red irises and genuine smile.

“And you are?” Abigail asked the male who had saved her from uncertain death.

“Malakai Dolaein. You may call me Malakai,” he replied, with a slight nod.

“My name's Abigail.”

Abigail despised the self-assured way he addressed her, giving her permission to call him by his name. As if he were -

“Don't get too upset with him. He's a spoiled brat. He thinks that just because he's older than almost everyone else here, he knows everything,” Victoria said, sensing the other girl's change in mood.

“I am not spoiled!” Malakai pouted.

“Are so.”

“Didn't we discuss this already, old friend?” came yet another voice from down the hall.

Malakai stuck out his tongue at the dark-haired male who approached them.

“That's my ma – err. That's Alucard. He won't introduce himself to you . . . he's even worse than Malakai, you see,” Victoria explained to Abigail in a stage whisper.

“Is it wise to stand out here where anyone and their dog can overhear? There will be trouble if my master finds you're bringing home strays,” Alucard said coolly, raising an eyebrow at the newcomer.

Intruder, more like, in his opinion.

“Aah! Right, right, we should move,” Victoria exclaimed.

She took Abigail by the hand and led her to a room with a heavy metal door. Malakai and Alucard followed, dropping into chairs. Malakai pulled an extra chair out from the table with his foot and indicated that she should sit. She did, and Victoria shut the door.

“Much better,” Victoria sighed.

She took a seat on the top of what looked to be a very large metal coffin.

“Now then. Why don't you tell us what's going on,” Alucard said.

It wasn't a request.

Malakai shrugged, “I found her getting ready to fight for her life. I decided to do something about it.”

“So you brought her here.” Alucard said flatly.

“I didn't have many options at that point. They were nearly invisible, and there were many of them. There was a feeling about them that let me somehow know they could not be killed. And that they would follow their target anywhere in the world until they had completed their mission. They were not going to just let me take her away. And before you bite my head off . . . these monsters were the same that poisoned your blood supply. And took the body of your master's son.”

Stars are gone . . .