Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Fare ❯ Sweet Forgiveness ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's notes: I'm on a roll, damn it! Furthermore, I have decided to spice up your lonely, loveless lives with some lovin's, Enjoy the AxS.






The sun was rising. He had destroyed the traitor, his master's son. His master's son, who had sacrificed his humanity, his sanity, oblivious to the deterioration of his mind. Jonathan, who had become the fruit of their enemy's efforts.

The ghouls had retreated to find sanctuary from the sun, and so had the abominations. And now, so would he.

Time for all good vampires to retire.

She was sitting on the edge of his coffin bed, clothed in her usual sleepwear consisting of soft blue and grey cotton shorts and a long blue tank top, when he arrived. Her whole body trembled with fury, outrage, indignation. The air practically sparked with her intense emotions, and it affected him in a curious way.

He approached her slowly, taking in her expression of anger as he did so. Her crimson eyes narrowed and the little soft hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. She was magnificent. His magnificent, furious, delicate, powerful little love. His only love.

He dropped to his knees before her, slowly removing his gloves, his heavy coat, pulled his tie over his head, and let the articles of clothing fall to the floor. He looked up at her, an emotion she would never recognize as adoration written on his face. She looked at him warily, wondering at his game, her anger demanding that he earn her forgiveness.

The fact that he was on his knees was a good start.

He looked up to view her face, their matching eyes the color of blood meeting. The expression on her face was confused. His was unreadable.

He bent his dark head and touched his lips to her knee, not quite a kiss. His bare hands wrapped gently around her small ankle. He lifted her leg, skimming his mouth lightly over it, his hand sliding up to the back of her knee. He kissed the back of her calf, tasting the firm flesh with its soft, smooth, silvery-white skin.

“Seras Victoria,” he breathed.

It was in that moment that she forgave him. Her former master, her Prince of the undead, her No Life King. How could she be angry when he humbly fell to his knees before her and touched her so gently? How could she not forgive him when he spoke her name with such reverence?

Victoria reached out and touched Alucard's glossy black hair, sliding her fingers through the abyss-colored strands that cascaded down his back and framed his face.

Alucard looked up at her, all the death and rage and insanity of the night laid bare for her to see in his eyes. Some remote corner of his vampire's soul longing for her to erase it. And she could do it, too, with her strange innocence tempered with wisdom and her stubborn humanity. Both qualities in her that he hated and loved, didn't understand, and somehow needed in her. He needed her to be innocent because he couldn't. He needed her to have compassion and humanity because his was long gone.

Seras Victoria leaned forward and kissed him. She brushed his deadly, elegant fangs with her tongue, and he tasted her blood in his mouth. Long ago, this would never have happened. Long ago, exchanging blood with him frightened her. It was a gesture of comfort that she offered him now, the familiar taste of her blood to mix with his to ground him into this world.

Because he needed it as much as he had needed her to be safe tonight. There were days when he didn't recognize himself and was nearly lost because of it.

He was the darkest, most complex and certainly the most powerful vampire in the world. It was hard to tell where the legends stopped and he began.

Alucard swept his own long tongue across her smaller fangs and the dark, potent, rich taste of his own blood mixed with hers in their Transylvanian kiss. It went on for a while.

Vampires, after all, did not technically need to breathe.

* * * * * * * * * *

Malakai walked slowly along the pathways in Hellsing's vast, lovely garden. The last time he had walked this way, he had been ambushed by the paladin and turned temporarily into a human.

Lansing was at his side, following him silently, content and deep in her own thoughts.

This time, there was no Alexander Anderson to break the peace of the night.

Lansing. She did strange things to him. He had never reacted to anyone this way before, felt such awe and such a powerful protective instinct. No one had ever made him tremble the way he had that night when he had held out his hand to help her.

She was exquisite. She was perfect for him.

A sudden realization struck him. He had an epiphany. His vampire senses jolted with excitement as his mind recognized what his mind and his vampire soul already knew.

After more than five hundred years of waiting he had found what he was searching for.

Vampires were said to have the ability to sense their soulmate.

Everything in him screamed that he had found his.

He stopped walking, and Lansing was so deep in thought it took her a moment to realize that he wasn't walking with her anymore. He stared after her.

Malakai looked like he was seeing her with new eyes.

“What's wrong?” she asked him.

He couldn't think of anything to say. He didn't have to. Because she understood. She reduced the space between them with two long strides. He looked down at her, traced her lip with his thumb. When he bent his head to kiss her, she rose up to meet his mouth.

It didn't take words. The sudden feeling that now he was complete in himself was utterly profound, shared by her in the instant of physical contact. A mental bond forced itself into existence, the fine threads of the link they shared wrapping themselves around their minds, winding and twisting until the pathway of thoughts and feelings and memories was unbreakable and permanent.

“Stay with me for ever.”

It was a cheesy thing to say, for a human, perhaps. But then, humans did not live forever. Vampires did.

* * * * * * * * * *

Deyavi and Gavril observed the forging of a new bond, the first-time connection of souls, with gently amused interest. For two who had been together since time immemorial, it was an awakening of memories from their own beginning.

The grassy hilltop from which they kept watch over Hellsing manor would soon be drenched in the burning sweetness of sunlight. But that was no reason to hurry along to shelter. They had long since passed the point where the sun could inflict harm upon them.

Gavril held Deyavi securely and gently in his arms as she sat between his outstretched legs. Her back rested against his chest.

The memories of the last time he had embraced her were punishing in their vividness.

The last time he had held her this way, he had killed her. Killed her to free her from their future of a lifetime of pain and horror. Ended her life because he loved her.

And she had killed him, too. She had not passed on alone. They had gone into Fate's warm embrace together, as they were meant to. There could not be one without the other. And Fate had sent them back to the world of the living together.

He would never leave her side.

Just as Alucard would never leave Victoria. Just as Malakai could no longer leave Lansing, though he had known her only a few short hours.

The bonds between a vampire and their soulmate could not be broken. To attempt such a thing could only bring death and suffering.

Why humans did not experience this kind of undying love, he did not know.

Deyavi reached up to stroke the back of his neck with her long, slender fingers.

“These moments will not last forever,” she murmured sadly.

“They aren't meant to,” Gavril replied in his low, silky voice, tender, lovingly amused, “They would not be so precious if they did.”

She considered that and then nodded her agreement.

“I can only hope that we succeed,” Deyavi whispered, “Otherwise there will be no more precious moments. Alucard must not fail. We must be certain that he does not fail.”

“He will not fail.”

The statement was absolute and final.






Author's note: Don't you love the level of confidence everyone seems to have in Alucard's power to provide the happy ending? It's sort of ironic, no? Anyway . . . hope you enjoyed the general fluff. I told you I would find Malakai a love of his very own, and I did, didn't I? That relationship will probably develop outside the spotlight of this fic. There were a lot of things I wanted to try to bring into a Hellsing fanfic, but honestly I don't think I am going to be able to incorporate it all, and I don't think I am going to write another sequel in this series. I may or may not change my mind as it gets closer to the end, depending on where I see this fic going. And don't worry. Soon the mystery of whodunnit and why they did it will soon be unraveled before your very eyeballs. Have I ever really left you hanging before?