Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Heaven Forbid ❯ The Mistaken ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

For all flesh is as grass and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withered, and the flower thereof fallen away.
 
 
Chapter 4
 
 
 
School eventually opened the next day. Unfortunately for Karen Haven, she was unable to attend. She lay still in her bed with a tray of breakfast and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, looking out at the clear blue sky. Only a few clouds were to be seen. The sun's rays gleamed in the room. Karen longed to get out of this hospital-room-coop and go outside in the free world where nothing was locking her up.
 
Karen, yet again, had another unusual dream last night. She was beginning to get used to this new feature. She laid back again as she recollected the dream she had the night before.
 
The two walked silently in the raven black park. He grasped her hand as she gripped it in return. With her head on his shoulder, they walked slowly to the sound of the creek crippling over the rocks. “Master...” she whispered. She looked up at the black-born sky and gasped at the sign of rain. It thundered and lightning flashed over a nearby mountain. He began to laugh.
 
She pondered at him for a moment but soon began to giggle along with him.
 
“Come on Karen, let's dance!” he exclaimed walking out from under the trees, holding his arms out. He placed his red fedora hat upon Karen's head as he raised his head up to the heavens and let the cool rain drops fall on his face. He looked back down at her and gave her a wide smirk. He laughed and put both his arms around her waist and lifted her up into his arms. He hung her over his shoulder.
 
“Master!” she laughed as Alucard began to carry her, “Put me down! Stop it!” she continued to laugh.
 
“I thought I told you that you didn't have to call me `master' anymore,” stated Alucard.
 
Karen wrapped both her arms around his neck and rested her head on his shoulder. “But Mast- I mean- Alucard,” she began, “You'll always be that to me... Alucard, my master.”
 
Alucard sighed and smiled, nuzzling the side of his head in her waist. He held her legs tighter against him. Karen kept her arms latched around Alucard's neck. He set her down easily back on the ground. He rested both his hands on each of her shoulders. He had to bend almost on his knees to make eye contact with her. He leaned forward and kissed her lips tenderly. He caressed the side of her face. She laid her hand on his, which was still rubbing the side of her cheek. They both laughed and put themselves in a giant embrace, twirling once as they did so...
 
On the way back to the Organization, she lay in his arms sound asleep as he carried her like a precious child of his own. He bent his head town to kiss the temple of her head and laid her upon his bed, where she slept and he watched her closely for the rest of the night...
 
Karen got up off the bed and walked over to the sink to wash her face. She thought about Alucard. She stared into the water and looked at her reflection. He seemed to appear in the water. “School girl,” he had said. Karen shrieked.
 
“There's no need to be frightened,” he said.
 
Karen put her finger in the water and began to move it around.
 
“Don't DON'T! You're screwing up the visual contact.”
 
“Sorry,” she said.
 
“I can feel it when you stick your finger in the water, school girl,” he said with his fangy smile he wore all the time. “Now listen to me,” he began, “I'll be up in your room around six because that's when it starts getting dark. I can't come out in the sun.”
 
“Uhhh.... umm.... sure?” she choked out.
 
“Alright then. I'll be there at six,” Alucard said as he was beginning to fade away.
 
Before Karen could say anything, a loud roar-like sound came up from in the sink as the water swirled in an unusual fashion down the drain. Up came a large black bat, swooping passed her head. It had to have been Alucard. He soon flew down into the darkness of the air vent, only echoes of his flapping wings being heard from afar.
 
A few hours passed and Alucard was sitting at the roundtable with his feet propped up on the table. He chewed on a straw to an empty medical blood packet. He wiped his mouth on the side of his arm and stuffed the packet in his suit pocket.
 
Without notice, Seras opened the door to find her master resting lazily on such a respected area. “Master,” she huffed, “don't let Sir Integra see you like this, especially on the round table.”
 
“She won't care,” he said smiling at her. She couldn't see his eyes because of his red-tinted sunglasses.
 
Seras picked up a scent of freshness in the air. She suddenly noticed something. “Master, are you wearing cologne?”
 
“I'm leaving around six,” he said simply ignoring her question.
 
“Leaving? To where?” she asked.
 
“Tell Master Integra that I'll be gone and not to worry, I'll be back around nine or ten.” Alucard rose up off the seat and headed to the doors.
 
“But Master! Wait! Where—”
 
But before Seras could say anything more, Alucard had already exited the room and closed the doors. She sighed. She looked back where he was sitting and noticed that he had left both of his guns behind. She carefully picked them up, making a small “Ugh” from the weight of the 32.5 pound Casull Auto and the Jackal. She carried them down the basement steps and into Alucard's room. She set both of them on the table next to his throne where his red wine sat with three glasses. She noticed he didn't drink very much of it within the passed week. She cocked her head.
 
The clock read 5:54. “I wonder where master is heading off to,” she said to herself. Just then, Alucard opened the door.
 
“Master!” she squeaked, “What a surprise! I didn't expect you here!”
 
“This is my room, Police Girl. What are you doing in here?” asked Alucard.
 
“I brought your guns in, Master. You left them on the roundtable.”
 
“Oh, well thanks.”
 
“Not a problem,” she smiled.
 
Alucard stared at her for a brief moment then went to sit down on the bed. Seras sat beside of him. “Master, where are you going tonight?” she asked suspiciously.
 
“Out,” he simply said.
 
“Out where? Is it a girl?”
 
“Must you ask so many questions, Police Girl?”
 
“Aha! So it is a girl then!”
 
“Just because it is one of the opposite sex doesn't mean it means anything serious, Police Girl,” he grouched.
 
“Do you like her?”
 
“She's meaningful,” he said.
 
“No, I mean, do you lo—”
 
“Oh! I've got to go! I'll be back in a few hours,” he said as he walked out of the doors. Once again, he left his guns behind. Seras sighed and left the room as her and Alucard turned their separate ways.
 
Oddly, Alucard carried mints in his pocket. He passed Integra and Walter along the way. Just as he entered the main hall, he was stopped. “And just where do you think you're going?” asked Integra with a lit cigar dangling between her teeth.
 
“I don't need time for interruptions, Master. I'm running on a late schedule,” Alucard said not looking back. He went out of the doors and was sucked in by the darkness. Integra raised an eyebrow to the scent of the wind that had passed her. “Is he wearing cologne?”
 
Alucard walked along the road until he reached the hospital Karen was staying at. He walked up the stairs until he reached that same room 102. He knocked the shave-and-a-haircut beat on the door. The door was opened by Karen, who was in a teal-green hospital robe with no shirt on underneath. “Oh my God, hold on!” she exclaimed as she shut the door and slipped on a shirt. Alucard smirked. The door opened again, this time with Karen wearing a t-shirt. She smiled. “Come on in. Sorry about that,” she said shyly.
 
“It's alright,” Alucard smiled wider. He hadn't minded the sight at all. After all, he had seen more before in previous dreams.
 
Alucard slowly walked inside the door. He sat on a chair beside Karen's bedside and rested his arm on the nightstand. He smiled at her. She shyly smiled back.
 
“I had another dream...” she admitted.
 
“So did I,” Alucard replied, his smile growing warmer.
 
“What do you think is going on?” she asked a little concerned.
 
“I don't know but somehow we're connected from a different dimension,” he said.
 
Karen sighed and lowered her head. “My mum... she hasn't come to see me once since I've been here...” she said sadly.
 
Alucard frowned. “Oh,” he said quietly. He had a feeling why. There was a long moment of silence after that. “I'm sorry,” he finally said.
 
“It's alright,” said Karen, her face brightening up with a weak smile. “From what I felt in the dream... she's... she—”
 
Alucard put his hand on hers. She gasped lightly. “The dream may not be right...”
 
“But... you said for yourself that the dreams we have look into the future...” she lowered her head again.
 
Alucard stared in grief and sympathy. “Well,” he said quietly, “maybe I was wrong...”
 
Karen looked up at him, but then frowned and looked to the side. A tear rolled down her cheek. Alucard sighed.
 
“Karen...” he said softly. He noticed she was crying. “Karen, please...” He caressed the bottom of her chin with the side of his hand. “Please don't cry...” he said quietly. She softly pulled her head away. “I'm sorry,” he said.
 
“My father,” Karen continued, “He fought in a war in Great Britain... until...” she sighed once again, “He got shot...”
 
“And you personally thought I would have killed your father?” asked Alucard. “I wouldn't kill a human.”
 
Karen squinted her eyes shut. “But... you—”
 
“School girl, I wouldn't kill your father for anything,” he tried to convince her.
 
“But you're the reason he's dead!” she sobbed.
 
“How am I the reason he's dead?” he asked.
 
“Because you weren't there to protect him! You left him there and you didn't do anything about it!” she cried.
 
“What?” asked Alucard in confusion, “I don't know what you're talking about. Are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else?”
 
Karen gasped. “Huh?” she asked lightly.
 
Alucard sat on her bed beside her. He leaned down forward, his face right in front of hers. He removed his glasses along with his hat. He showed his bare face to Karen. His red eyes gleamed into hers.
 
Karen shivered. She was shaky and cold for some reason. Her eyes filled up with tears again. “You're...” she chirped, “You're not him...” She sobbed into her hands.
 
“I wouldn't do such a thing for war...” said Alucard. “I'm not here to fight... I'm here to protect you...”
 
Karen gasped. Why would he care for so much and be so kind to her after the way she had treated him? She felt so guilty. She lost all control of herself. Suddenly, she grabbed a hold of Alucard. She embraced him tightly, sobbing into his chest. Alucard could only return the favor and hold her. He stroked her hair as she cried helplessly into him. Alucard closed his eyes and held her head close to his. “I'm sorry,” he heard Karen squeak.
 
Alucard turned his head to where his chin was resting on top of her head. His lips brushed the light wisps of her hair. “Don't apologize, School Girl,” he said quietly, “Just cry... let your tears drown your pain. I'm right here to help you.”
 
Karen squeezed tighter along with Alucard. She couldn't find the voice to thank him. So instead, she fell limp into his arms. He knew exactly what she meant. “You're welcome,” he whispered.
 
Alucard began to rock back and forth. He eased Karen's emotions and whispered to her the whole time. He talked to her to try to calm her down. It seemed to work.
 
After about fifteen minutes had passed, he didn't hear Karen cry anymore. She still held onto him. She didn't move for quite a while. It turns out that she had fallen asleep, right inside Alucard's arms and in the warmth of his embrace. They stayed in that position for about another half an hour.
 
Alucard slowly and easily laid Karen onto her pillow on her bed. He bent down to give her a kiss, but thought twice. `What am I doing?' he thought, `It's still too early for that... the dreams say enough,' Instead, Alucard caressed the side of her face and hugged her once more. He wrote on a piece of paper before he left:
 
School Girl,
I hope you're feeling better now that you've
understood the truth.
I know you're probably upset with me,
but that won't stop me from coming to see you.
Remember that I'm here to protect you
and that I care.
I'll be back tomorrow night.
Maybe we can work things out.
 
-Alucard
 
P.S. Enjoy the mints.
 
Sure enough, two mints sat on the small note. Alucard never really cared for those type of mints, but when the bad times come, he's uses them anyway. Personally, he did it out of kindness and just to get rid of them. He hoped she enjoyed them more than he did.
 
Alucard walked out of the hospital with a little bit of guilt in his throat. He looked up at the window of the room Karen was in. He felt bad that he left without a proper goodbye... but her rest didn't need to be disturbed. Besides, he thought, he'll be back to visit her tomorrow. He smiled a little bit then continued to walk on to the Organization.
 
“Where have you been?” Integra caught Alucard walking through the doors to Hellsing.
 
Alucard paused in his steps. He smiled. “At the hospital,” he said.
 
“And why were you at the hospital?”
 
Alucard knew she couldn't be fooled. For a human, she had strong senses and knew what someone was doing by the slightest glimpse in their eyes. He surrendered honestly. “Visiting someone...”
 
“Who was that?”
 
Although Integra had a mighty amount of common sense, she wouldn't possibly know exactly who it was... unless she had heard from someone else rather than him. “The School Girl,” he said.
 
“Who?”
 
“My sweetheart,” he joked. How he loved to mess with her. “My love... my fiancé...” he said, spicing up the word fiancé.
 
Integra raised an eyebrow. “You're fiancé, huh?” she mumbled. Alucard grunted, trying not to laugh. “What's her name?”
 
“Karen,” he said. He knew she was on to him. He slumped his shoulders a little.
 
“Oh! It wouldn't happen to be Miss Karen Haven, would it?” she snickered. She lit her cigar.
 
“Yes, as a matter of fact,” he lied, “But that will soon change. Soon it will be Karen—”
 
“Don't fool me, Alucard. Give me your left hand,” she interrupted, grabbing his left hand to check for a ring. “Nothing,” she mumbled. “I should have known you'd lie to me.” She blew smoke from her nostrils. “Don't come back so late, Alucard.”
 
“Or what? What will you do? Ground me?” teased Alucard.
 
“I could, you know,” she smiled, “I could easily lock the door one day while you're sleeping.”
 
“And I could easily shoot it down with my Jackal,” he argued playfully. He continued to walk on, his destination to his room, until Integra halted him.
 
“Where did you really go? And don't give me any of that fiancé shit,” she said making him stop.
 
“Without lies, Master, I went to the hospital to visit Miss Haven,” he told truthfully. “We are not in a relationship... she's just a friend of mine.”
 
Integra didn't say anything, allowing Alucard to pass by. She looked back at him once more. She shouted. “That cologne... it was very pleasing, I'm sure she liked it.”
 
Alucard stopped in his tracks. He didn't say anything. He didn't look back either. He paused for a moment but then continued to walk on.
 
Alucard stumbled inside of his room. He was tired and wanted peace. He walked inside his personal bathroom and began to strip off his clothes. Until he was completely undressed, he turned on the hot water in the bath. It had been a while since he had ever felt so relaxed. After a small “Ahhh,” he let his head seep down slowly into the steaming water. All his stress, pain, and dirtiness melted away.
 
Alucard was finally washed and clean. After he had gotten dressed again, he laid on the bed lazily. He closed his eyes, wanting pleasant sweet dreams about himself and the beautiful Karen. He smiled as his reminiscence drifted him away to a faraway world where he and Karen lived in harmony and peace. He began to dream again.