Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Luxury ❯ Luxury ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: None of this is mine. Based off the anime.
 
Notes: Inspired vaguely by TeaRoses' work, and musings drawing from there -- the image of Walter with the yahrzeit candle is all hers (read "Anniversary" over at the Volepit). Title from Henry Adams: "Morality is a private and costly luxury." Only when there is a lull can she allow herself to think about such dangerous things.
 
She wonders sometimes if maybe she's wrong. Not very often, never openly, but more recently in the past months. Since Cheddar, since Seras came to work for Hellsing, it has only grown more frequent.
 
Vampires are evil, she tries to remind herself. Irredeemably so, worthy only of being sent to their deserved torment in Hell.
 
But the girl Alucard brought in hardly fits the term 'evil'. Integra puts clinical terms to what she is doing here: identifying with her enemy, humanising them, ascribing qualities which they surely cannot have. After all, vampires really are psychotic killers. So why does her mind insist on amending 'most of them'?
 
Easy to ignore Alucard. He fits the stereotype so much better -- psychotic is kind. In his own way, though, he's as fanatical as she is, and she had not seen that until the Police Girl's presence had made her realise that vampires weren't always monsters. Or maybe she'd just forgotten before now.
 
Walter has a candle burning downstairs in the kitchen when she comes in later, picture of his grandparents tucked up behind it. She has seen him do this every year, and when she was very young, she asked him why. And while she remembers most of his explanation, a small part of it stands out given her current mood. Jewish relatives, killed because they were in Germany when the war broke out.
 
Under Hitler, people thought the Jews were evil and dehumanised them. Thinking of her two vampires, she wonders if maybe she's committing the same sort of genocide. If maybe she shouldn't reconsider.
 
She won't; she knows that as well as she knows her own name -- better, even. But the thought lingers all the same.
 
- finis -