Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Prelude to Eternity ❯ An aquired talent ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Her sensitive nostrils flare as a wave of air hits her, fetid rot gushing from the stage. Her eyes fix on the players and Seras finds herself unable to look away as they begin their performance.
The stage is filled with rusting machinery, something the freaks must have foraged from factories and perhaps even a farm. The stage lights flick on and the dull metal glints wickedly. `It's some kind of torture chamber.' Seras' realization weighs heavily on her chest. The remnants of several humans are torn and spread in grisly chunks about the equipment and stage, but it is the bodies of the immortals that give her pause. Attached to a massive wheel of some sort is a Freak, his chest laid open and staked in the oldest of fashions. His hands are pierced by what appears to be bones taken from his victims and even with his superhuman strength, they had held him fast through his dying minutes. Seras' stomach turns at the sight and she does not look too closely at the other four Freaks whose twisted bodies are displayed in a similar fashion. Each one is staked and tortured, not one having died a swift death. A pop, then a gush draws her attention and she watches as one of the bodies suddenly disintegrates, turning to dust and flowing freely to the floor.
The sound is enough to remind her of the rest of the audience. She finds that she has subconsciously moved forward and they are now seated behind her, no doubt preparing to attack. She whirls, gun trained on the seats. Her finger tightens on the trigger of the Halconnen but she doesn't fire, instead hopping for a moment on one foot as the weight of her weapon overbalances her. The audience has not moved. It certainly has not breathed. Her stomach tightens as she realises that they are ghouls. Or were. Several of the faces she recognizes from the photos of the missing. “How fitting.” Her Master's voice never sounded so good. He appears beside her and she unconsciously sways toward him before catching herself. “They're all dead Master.” His face might be called grim, even calculating, if not for the smirk that always throws a body off balance. “They enjoyed the show no doubt.” Seras ignores his words, instead looking back at the stage. Another body disintegrates, this one with a politely quiet sound in the silent theatre.
Alucard watches his fledgling as she steps forward, led hand in hand by her nose and her curiosity. Her movements are that of a young predator, sleek but unseasoned. The thought widens his grin.
She doesn't recall moving, or approaching the stage. It is hard for her to think of anything but the stench of blood and death around her. Now that she can put her finger on it, she knows that the building resonates with it, that's what she has been feeling all along. So unsettling but definitely a familiar tone. Her feet lead her to the body on the wheel, tilted to an angle that displays best to the audience. The smell of the Freak blood is strong and she can tell he was turned only days ago. Her tongue darts out to whet her lips.
`Beautiful is it not?' Csont's voice sounds in her head and she replies without thinking. “Yes.” His chuckle reverberates through her skull. “I am glad that you appreciate such things Seras.
Her eyes are clouded and he watches as she leans forward, taking in the scent of the body. `Beautiful.' He moves to her quietly as he probes her mind, enjoying the emotions flowing through her, emotions she isn't fighting. His eyes narrow as she nods a response to a voice he cannot hear. Pushing harder, he enters her conscious thought and catches the sound of Csont's voice. `… appreciate such things Seras.' With a growl he flies forward and grips her shoulders, shaking her violently. “Enough Police Girl.” Her glazed eyes stare up at him innocently, as if she hasn't just been conversing civilly with an enemy. “Master?” “Kill me…” The weak voice draws both their eyes as the Freak on the table attempts to escape his pain. “Please.”

The Freak is deathly pale, only the mass of tubes running in and out of his chest keep him `alive.' There is a large mirror covering the only wall of the room that is not devoted to medical equipment. Behind it stands Hellsing's leader.
Integra can feel the elder vampire brooding in the darkness by her side. “What is it Alucard?” There is silence between them as they both study the Freak on the other side of the mirror. “He will not survive Master.” She does not acknowledge his words. The thoughts of the two stray and it would seem to any person who might observe them, that they are speaking at eachother, voicing thoughts rather than actually having a conversation. “I don't think we are going to get information from him.” Alucard snorts, an unusual mannerism for the ancient. “Such scum. He cannot even heal himself.” Integra frowns softly at the mention of healing. “And Seras? Tell me about the bandage on her neck. It's been there for days Alucard.” `Is she alright.' He ignores the concern in her thoughts. “She is fine. She will be better when she drinks her blood.” Integra frowns. His words do not ring true, not when Walter informed her only hours ago that the fledgling has been frighteningly diligent with her meals. That left only one option. “I have ordered you previously to keep your hands off my men. That extends to Seras. She is one of my soldiers and I will not have you harming her.” She feels the nosferatu stiffen at her side. For once she has set him off balance. Looking up at him, she sees the scowl work its way across Alucard's face. “She is my fledgling Master. She will always be my fledgling before she is your soldier.” Integra ignores the anger his words bring. “Regardless Alucard, you are bound to obey me. I will not have her injured because the mood takes you.” Her vampire growls low in his throat at the admonishment. “If the mood took me Master, Hellsing would not be standing.” The seals on his hands glow at his threat and Integra knows better than to back down from his anger. “Go to your chambers vampire. You will stay there for the rest of this night.” With a glower he fades, and a tightening in Integra's lips indicates her amusement. She feels Walter step in behind her with a chuckle. “Like a child sent to his room.” She nods. “Summon Officer Victoria Walter. It is time we talk.”

Seras watches nervously as Integra lights a cigar. The woman is completely relaxed. “Take a seat Officer Victoria.” She complies, waiting anxiously for the anticipated chiding. “Please remove the bandage from your neck.” Her eyes widen but she does as she is bidden. The bandage is fresh but it is already stained with her blood. Walter appears beside her and the kindly butler takes the sullied dressing from her and hands the young vampire a fresh one. Integra quirks a patient smile. “I won't have you walking around bleeding. I have no doubt that it is attracting unwelcome attention from Alucard.” The girl blushes. It is true, her Master has been seeking her presence more often lately. “Tell me, how did that happen?” Seras looks up at Integra, wanting suddenly to tell the woman everything. “I…” Somehow though, it feels like a betrayal of her Master. “I was clumsy in my training. I guess I'm just not strong enough to heal it yet.”
Integra watches the sheepish look on the fledgling's face. It is obvious that the girl is lying but then, it is not affecting her work. “Fine. Be more careful next time then.” Seras nods, grateful that she is not pushing the subject. “I would like you to go down to the medilab and question the Freak you brought in. Alucard seems to think that he is not going to survive much longer and I am inclined to agree.” The girl falters, “But surely it would be better for Master to speak with him. I can't read minds yet and that may be the only way to get information from him.” Integra shakes her head. “A good notion but I have seen his questioning technique. I have lost several prisoners to him.” Seras suppresses the shiver that runs down her spine, she doesn't have a hard time at all picturing her Master's `technique.' “Yes Sir.” Integra nods. “Dismissed Officer. I expect a full report tomorrow.”
“Should I take an extra bag down to her tonight Sir Integra?” She nods. “Yes Walter. I think it may be a permanent arrangement. That wound looks as if it has barely healed.” The aging retainer bows and turns to leave. “Do you think she'll drink it Walter?” He pauses, looking back at her thoughtfully. “I believe so. Miss Victoria is growing.”
After he is gone, Integra stubs out her cigar in the ever-present ashtray on her desk, rubbing the stub along the Hellsing crest. “That she is Walter. But in what direction?”

The Freak does not rest easily. His eyes dart suspiciously to her as she enters. They do not leave her as she takes a seat next to his bed. “Hello.” He does not respond. `Well, I guess that would have just been too easy,” Seras thinks. She reverts to plan two, producing a blood packet and proceeding to open it slowly. The Freak's eyes fasten onto her mouth as she sips the liquid slowly. “Please.” Standing, she hands him the bag. She has to hold it, his hands are nothing more than bloody wounds from his bindings. He sips at the blood, unable to take more than tiny swallows. “Tell me what happened.” His eyes narrow and she watches him, surprised to feel him feebly pry at her mind. Concentrating on blocking him, she responds, focusing on probing his. They stand, locked in mental conflict for long minutes before she gains the upper hand. Although she is young, the Freak is badly injured. “Who?” She can see the fight that took place, not really a fight even, the Freaks had been completely unprepared, celebrating their defeat of D11 with blood gluttony.
“I don't know.” The Freak croaks the words and Seras eases a little on his mind, feeling guilty for the pain it is obviously causing him. “Why did they attack you?” The Freak chokes on the blood, droplets spraying across the white tiles of the room and she can see from the fear in his eyes that he won't answer. Withdrawing the blood pack, she presses against his mind. “Tell me.” He cringes, “The ghouls… they wanted the ghouls.” Seras' eyes narrow as she absorbs the information. “But the ghouls were all dead when we got there…” The Freak shakes his head weakly, eyes still fastened on the crimson in her hand. “No, we had, those cops. We had almost thirty of them. They killed the plainclothes and took the others alive.” Her eyes widen as realization hits her followed closely by a strengthening surge of rage. Ferguson. That's what happened. “Who are they dammit!” Unconsciously, she has gripped his shoulders, the blood pack falling to the blanket that covers him, the spilt blood mingling with that which is already soaking through from his wounds. “I… can't…” The Freak chokes and she loses patience. Eyes flashing with rage she concentrates and thrusts back into his mind, tearing through anything in her way.

She is somewhere dark. There is screaming and her head hurts. She can vaguely remember asking for this, asking for this… pain? `Seras…' She is scared. Who is Seras? “Who are you?” She feels herself floating and her eyes finally adjust to the darkness. “Seras. Step forward.” Green eyes glow in the darkness and she can make out a figure. A soft glow surrounds him and she somehow knows that it is his aura. He must be strong. He is tall, taller than her Master, with the same raven hair but longer. His face is strong and slanting cheekbones cause dark shadows to slash over his jaw. “Seras, you are in too deep.” He reaches a hand out to her and she remembers. `I am Seras.' The man smiles, his green eyes glowing darkly. “That's right. You are Seras.” She hesitates, not taking his hand. If it had been her Master he would have grown impatient. “Where am I?” The man holds her gaze, there is strength in his eyes, but not maliciousness. “You are in a part of the mind that is darkness Seras. When you seek answers so strongly, you will only end up here. Few keep the truth in the forefront of their thoughts.” His words make sense to her and she realises that it is the first time anyone has actually explained anything vampiric to her. Her suspicion rises, “Who are you?” He smiles softly, “You know me Seras Victoria. I am Csont.” Her eyes widen. “You. Why?” His eyes become urgent. “I am here to help Seras, but you must withdraw. This artificial is dying and you must not be within him when it occurs. You will be trapped and so will I.” Her eyes widen and she feels panic rise like bile in her throat. “But I, I've never…” He reaches out his hand and takes hers gently. A feeling of safety washes over her, much like the one she finds in her Master's presence. “But Master? Surely he…” Csont shakes his head. “He has not come for you.” Seras struggles with his words, unable to fathom the sudden abandonment. “But he… I know he…” She feels tears in her eyes and wipes them away with her free hand. “Hush.” Csont draws her into his arms and she feels them moving away from the dark place. “The subconscious will make you more susceptible to emotions Seras.” She realises with a start that she is no longer crying. `How could I react so badly to such a small thing?' It is then that she feels a weak pull, it is familiar and she remembers that it is the link she used to enter the Freak's mind. She feels Csont's smile. “Such strength.” His arms loosen around her. “I'm the reason he's dying now aren't I.” He watches her, “It is not your fault. You do not know your own power yet.” He fades from sight and she feels herself falling back to the familiarity that is her own mind. His words are somehow a great comfort to her.

A super long chapter. I guess I'm on a streak at the moment because this storyline is coming together AND I am a sucker for people who nag for updates. If you have questions just let me know and if I don't answer, it is because you're not supposed to know something yet ;) Please read and review. I love hearing your opinions and thoughts on the story.
The ghouls in chapter one are leftovers from Incognito. This story is set not too long after (assuming Integra didn't spend too long in custody)
Disclaimer: Hellsing is not mine and I am writing about it because I can't get enough of it. :)