Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Prelude to Eternity ❯ Drifting off ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Hellsing is not mine, nor do I gain anything from writing about it barring the odd (and much appreciated) review.
My rabble is at the top this time. I guess something different for a chapter that feels kind of different to me. I apologise in advance for the strange formatting. Read and enjoy...

The door to Seras' room opens and she enters, huffing unnecessarily. `Damned Master.' She sheds her boots quickly and makes her way to her shower, intent on washing the pale crimson sweat from her body.

Alucard feels his fledgling reenter the grounds of the Hellsing Manor. His attention to their bond is constant now, an incessant awareness of her location and activities. He settles back in his (new) chair and probes her mind. He is being as gentle as possible, though he prefers to think of his stratagem as secretive. His temper has still not settled, even after yet another `discussion' with his Master. Reaching for his crystal glass, Alucard takes a generous swallow of the scarlet within. “Now now Police Girl, why not relax a little.”

Seras blinks, staring at the shower she was about to enter. `I should relax.' The thought enters her head from nowhere and she smiles glumly. Turning off the shower, she begins to run a bath.

Alucard makes a short sound of pleasure as she bends so easily to his desire and, concentrating intently, he sends waves of placid contentment through their bond.

Seras slips into the bath with a sigh. `I should go running more often,' she pauses and smiles, `if only to feel like this at the end of it.' The draculina sinks into the hot tub and wills the tension from her body as she slips entirely beneath the surface.

The elder vampire swills another mouthful of crimson across his tongue. After a moment, he presses further into her mind.

You know me Seras Victoria. I am Csont.” A sneer finds its way across the vampire's face, his suspicions confirmed. `It makes sense, my fledgling is far too weak to have survived such an experience.'

You know me Seras Victoria. I am Csont.” Seras' eyes open beneath the water. `Csont?' She can see her face reflected on the surface of the liquid above her. Warmth floods her and she closes her eyes again. “Yes Seras?” His voice is smooth, unruffled by her sudden call. `What happened last night?' He is silent for a moment, but she knows he understands what she is asking. `You entered the mind of an artificial.' Seras frowns beneath the surface of her bath. `But why did we have to leave?' `Because it was dangerous. Seras feels her frustration rise, his answers reminding her of her ambiguous sire. `But other vampires do it all the time…' She is careful to keep her Master from her thoughts, unsure of her companion's view of him. `You have undoubtedly been the victim of such things before Seras.' She knows that she would be blushing if she had fed when she awoke. His voice turns serious. `You did not simply touch his mind Seras, you let yourself in completely.' She frowns, `I don't think I understand.' Csont pauses. `When he tried to touch your mind Seras, he opened a connection between you…' `I remember.'
She is eager now, knowing his words are important. `It is a simple thing to `read' another's mind once that connection is established, but you are young Seras, and still learning the bounds of your strength. You allowed your emotions to rule you and you entered his mind completely.' `I still don't see how that was dangerous.' Seras knows that by now, her Master would be growling at her ignorance. `To enter someone's mind Seras, to control them is an… intimate thing. Once in, it is difficult to escape. What one experiences, both experience, in the past or the present.' Seras is quiet as she remembers her first awareness in that darker place. `So that feeling was… the Freak's memories?' She can feel his quiet pride. `Correct.' She cannot keep the smile from her face and Seras allows herself to rise to the surface of her bath. `I have seen people controlled before…' she ventures. `It is likely you have seen the power of suggestion Seras. The power lies in making the right suggestion, but if you can touch a person's mind and learn what they want, what they fear, then you will know what is most effective.' Wiping beads of warm water from her face, Seras sighs. `Thank you.' Csont chuckles and she feels his mirth flood her mind, moving through their… bond? Seras' eyes snap open and she is suddenly aware of what she has been doing. The bathwater is stained a dark crimson. With a weak groan, she lifts her hand to her neck, finally aware of the pain that radiates from it. Her vision is wavering, but she catches sight of her hand and realises dimly that her flesh is very, very, white.

Alucard is aware of it the very moment it occurs this time. He reaches swiftly through their connection and growls when he finds nothing. “That fool.” It is just like the last time. And the time before that.

The form of a tall, lithe, red clad man appears in Seras' empty bathroom. At least, he assumes it is empty, because his presence is not met by an indignant scream. He would have missed her if not for the scent of blood.

Seras whimpers. Her body is frigid and her limbs ache. `Open your mouth.' Without thinking, she obeys, her body responding on an instinctual level to her Master's command. The smell of blood assaults her sensitive nose and Seras tries to open her eyes. “That's right little one.” With a whimper she curls closer to her mattress, gripping the sheets tightly. “Do not fight me on this Police Girl. You need it.” As his deep baritone whorls around her, she feels the thick plastic of a blood pack against her lips. `I… can't.' `You can Police Girl.' Alucard watches her face pucker into a frown as she argues silently with him. `It's not right.' `It is natural fledgling.' She writhes, trying weakly to get away from him, but the blanket tightens around her. His chuckle invades her foggy thoughts, vibrating through her body and shaking her mattress. “I have been called many things Police Girl, but bed clothes I have not.” His words shake her and she finally opens her eyes. “Master!” Her voice is remarkably small when one takes into account her outrage at finding herself, for a second time, in his arms. His grin widens and he takes advantage of her gaping mouth, spilling crimson onto her tongue and lips. “Drink.” Shaking her head, she brings her arm up to wipe her mouth but is stopped by an iron grip. “You will drink Police Girl. These games of yours are no longer an option.” His voice lacks its usual menace and Seras senses that there is something else behind his insistence. “Very good Police Girl. Now think hard…” Her mind wanders backward without success. “I don't understand.” He makes a low growl in the back of his throat and Seras feels an image pushed forcefully into her mind. The image is of a young girl, skin translucent, in a bath of blood.
With widening eyes she comprehends his presence, but not his change in attitude. His grip on her wrist does not loosen but she knows he has never actually forced her to feed before. His eyes narrow at her thoughts. `Do not presume to know me Police Girl. I have never forced you before, but what makes you think I would not do it this time?” A shiver runs down her spine and Seras is instantly aware of how powerful he is, she is aware of just how potent the power suppressed in his frame. A grin splits his jaw as her hand relaxes in his grasp. “Better.” Her thoughts turn inwards, his familiarity far too reminiscent of her most recent encounter with her sire. “Do you drink for him?” Her eyes prick with tears. “Police Girl,” She meets his gaze openly, forgetting for a moment her immense vulnerability. `Yes Master?' Her voice is high, fragile in his mind. His eyes darken. `You will drink for survival. Nothing else.' Her heart skips a beat and, for a giddy moment, she wonders if her understands. The image of herself from his point of view flies back to the forefront of her mind. Fragile, broken creature. A dead fledgling is no good to him, less trouble perhaps, but still no good. She reaches weakly for the blood pack, taking it from his hand and immediately loosing her grip on it. He captures it in an instant, encircling her hands in his silk glove. She shivers at the touch. “For no one Master.” Something flashes in his eyes as the words leave her lips, voice small but unwavering.
In her Master's arms, for the first time, Seras drinks without regret.

You can only push someone so hard before something gives. Not necessarily your humanity, or even your morals, but more so your perception of a situation. Creatures seldom grow in leaps, but we lean in degrees until we are completely turned around.