Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Veneficus, Draconis, et Fetialis ❯ A Plea For Help ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

HELLSING/HP CROSSOVER

CHAPTER 1: A PLEA FOR HELP

Integra's office was cold at this time of evening. The ancient manor was full of drafts and the central heating was notoriously faulty. She had ordered the fire stoked, and the heat made her desk comfortable, despite the cold windows behind.

There was endless paperwork, or so it seemed. Reports, requisition forms, letters of condolence…she was almost falling asleep, what with this balmy heat from the fire, and all this damned paperwork…

Suddenly, someone coughed. She sat bolt upright, her hand at her holstered gun in an instant. She knew the voice of everyone in the Mansion it could be, and it was none of them.

There was another cough. The fireplace…suddenly, with a bound she leapt over her table and brought the pistol up. She glanced a chubby, ethereal face hanging amid the flames. Without thinking, she fired twice into it, the gun roaring as it sent bursts of silver bullets ricocheting up the chimney. The face merely winced somewhat.

"Sir Hellsing…" It began solemnly.

"How do you know my name?" she asked, angrily, weapon still pointed at this strange apparition.

"The round table, remember?"

Integra halted…this wasn't…ah, but of course. She slowly holstered her gun, just as the door burst open to admit Walter, monowire already webbed between his fingers.

"Put them away, Walter." She said, raising a hand, "It's our magical friends…" she turned to look at the man in the fireplace, his face suspended amid the flames, "Fudge, isn't it? Clarence Fudge?"

"Cornelius Fudge, but not bad, Sir Hellsing. I don't think I've attended the round table since my appointment as minister of magic...our worlds seldom seem to overlap." He looked grave, "Until now. What do you know of Britain's magical places, Sir Hellsing?"

Integra furrowed her brow as she attempted to recall half-remembered lessons from her father. She had always been more interested in vampires and werewolves than wizards and witches…

"There's a village and castle in Scotland, that's the school, isn't it? Then there's a couple of streets in London, and some other odd buildings like the ministry and that hospital scattered around the city. The rest are all the houses of individual Witches and Wizards…" she looked at the minister, who's expression was grave, "Did I miss anywhere?"

"No," he said slowly, "You named too many. Hogsmeade, the village, no longer exists."

"What?"

Suddenly, the door burst open again, admitting Seras, her gun at the ready. She quickly holstered it when she saw that no-one seemed to be in danger, then jumped back, clutching at the door-frame.

"There's a head in the fire!" She squeaked.

"We're perfectly aware of that, Officer Victoria." Said Integra coldly, turning back to Fudge. "What do you mean, it no longer exists?"

"Just that. Earlier today, the village was burnt to the ground and its inhabitants slaughtered. From the few survivors, and there weren't many, our Aurors learnt that that there were only three attackers…and that they were muggles, sorry, non-wizards."

"I thought non-wizards weren't supposed to be able to enter a place like that?"

"They somehow found a way to nullify our magic."

"Iscariot." Said a deep voice from the wall behind Integra.

"Ah, Alucard, you're late."

"You weren't in any danger. I would have sensed any threat a mile off." He looked at the fireplace, "Ah, I see those damn wizards are causing trouble again."

Fudge ignored the vampires comment, directing himself instead to Integra.

"What is 'Iscariot'?" Asked the wizard, curiously.

"The three attackers you mentioned, were they dressed as clergy?"

"Why yes, how did you know…"

"We've had run-ins with these…people before." Integra spat, "they're the militant arm of the Catholic church, insane zealots about as far removed from the stereotype of meek Christianity as you could get. They must have nullified your magic with an extension of whatever way it is they stop our vampires magic from working."

Fudge looked worried, "You mean, your vampires are ineffective against them as well?"

"Oh, I wouldn't say that" smirked Alucard. "Even without our magic, we still have our ability to regenerate, as well as strength and speed surpassing any human."

Integra suddenly realised what Fudge was saying, "Wait a minute, you want us to send our vampires to defend you from Iscariot?"

"Of course! You've fought Iscariot before when they've invaded British soil, why not now?"

Integra was about to say something when she stopped. Why not indeed? She could hardly let the Catholics run rough-shod over people who were still, even if they technically did not exist, loyal subjects of the crown.

"But," she finally pointed out, "If we lend you our vampires, how are we supposed to defend this country against the depredations of the evil undead?"

"Would a squad of Aurors help? They train to deal with all conceivable magical threats. Vampire hunting should be no problem."

"Very well…I would have to speak to the government…"

"No need! It's already done. Her majesty and the Prime Minister fully endorse this course of action."

"Fine then. Where do you want them?"

"We have only one really vulnerable location, and that is the school, Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Everywhere else is either too small to defend or in London, where we already have assurances that we can count on the support of the Metropolitan police. If they strike anywhere else, it would be at the school. You cannot imagine how crippling a blow it would be: Nearly every wizarding family in the country sends their children there. Were they all to be killed…" he trailed off.

"Indeed, it's a grave situation. I shall accompany out two top agents up there immediately, if you can send those darn Aurors…" She halted, "How are we supposed to get to the school anyway? I thought it was sealed against non-wizards…"

"Your vampires are magical creatures. They're able to enter any concealed location a wizard can. As for you, well, do you really need to go?"

"I will have to brief the Headmaster on how to care for the vampires, and have suitable quarters arranged for them. What is the headmasters name, by the way?"

"Dumbledore. Albus Dumbledore. Well, ok, if you insist on going I suppose you must. We'll send someone from the department for misuse of muggle artefacts to enchant a vehicle for you so it can travel through the barriers. You won't be able to stay at Hogwarts long though…M…Non-Wizards aren't really allowed inside."

"Ok then, we'll start up as soon as your people get here."

"Thank-you, Sir Hellsing…"

"I can't refuse royal prerogative, can I? I presume you won't be at Hogwarts?"

"No, You'll have to liaise with Dumbledore…he's, well, slightly eccentric, but good at heart, I suppose." He admitted this almost grudgingly. "He's kept that damned school safe from Voldemort so far, anyway."

"Ah yes," Said Integra, "How is your little war against the dark lord going?"

"Fine, until this new threat came up. We're counting on your support in this, Sir Hellsing. If this Iscariot were to destroy us, Voldemort would be able to rampage across the land, and once he'd taken over it wouldn't be long before he made himself known to the non-wizards."

"Very well. I've sworn to protect this land against the forces of evil, so I suppose I can't refuse…these 'Aurors' of yours had better be up to the job though."

"Oh, don't worry, they will be…" he said, smiling grimly. "I may see you at the next round table meeting, Sir Integra." And with that, the flames roared up and the face faded from view.

"Wow…" gasped Seras, her jaw agape.

"Officer Victoria." Said Integra, turning to her,

"Yes 'm?" She said, giving a little jerk.

"Put those away" she indicated Seras' fangs, "And pack your things, you're going to Scotland for a while." She turned to Alucard as Seras gave a little curtseying nod and rushed from the room, "You too Alucard."

"As you command, Master." He said, disappearing back into the shadows Cheshire cat fashion, leaving just an impression of teeth and orange sunglasses.

Integra turned to Walter. "Does he need to pack? I don't think he actually owns any clothes…"

"He certainly never puts any out for the laundry, Sir Integra."

"Mmm…" murmured Integra, pondering the workings of her most annoying minion…"oh, pack my bag as well Walter, just for overnight…I'm not staying in some damned wizards castle a moment longer than I have to."

"Hmmm…" Said Walter, walking towards the door, "I suppose we should explain to Seras about the wizards sometime, otherwise she'll be walking around slack-jawed all the time, and I imagine that would scare some people."

"Give her the basics. We don't have time for a full briefing…"

Integra turned, and smiled to herself as Walter left. Perfect. A remote castle miles from anywhere were Alucard would be free to unleash his full ability on those Catholic dogs. She took out a cigar, and began to imagine the phone conversation where she asked Maxwell if he'd like her to mail him the pieces of his zealots…