Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Veneficus, Draconis, et Fetialis ❯ Insubordination ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is so much fun. ^_^ Too bad this is a rewrite from my original, because you guessed it- my jump drive is corrupted still! *cheers*

For the love of God, I think I may have characterized Snape wrong. See, when I was writing him, the only image in my mind was of Allan Rickman as the Metatron in Dogma. So let me know if I've nailed this characterization or not, and if I didn't, let me know what's wrong with it so I can fix it.

Thanks for all the support and hopefully Khar will be quicker with his next chapter. ^_^ I'm sure he hates me for having this already done before he even finished chapter 2.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Sir Integral Hellsing, welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please feel free to let me know if anything can be done to make your stay pleasant, despite altering the circumstances that bring you here."

Integra sighed as she surveyed the man standing in front of her. Even though he seemed quite amiable, his long, flowing robes and great shock of white hair and beard that came to the middle of his chest were just too much for her conservative tastes. If he lived in the real world, the leader of Hellsing was certain the man would be treated like a common beggar or tramp and be forced to shelters and soup kitchens because of his appearance.

So this was what the wizarding world wished to keep secret- tawdry styles and cheap parlor tricks that supposedly led to a greater power and understanding of life.

These people must be descended from the alchemists and court entertainers from the earliest days of English and other European nobility. Her father had never spoken much on the subject of magical persons either in England or throughout the world during her studies as a child, save for that they existed and were generally harmless in regard to the true citizens of the UK.

The white haired man remained silent as a slight smirk crossed the platinum blond's lips as she stared at the stately Scottish castle, wondering why these people insisted on hiding in the shadows. People today had embraced FREAK vampires as a reality, so were they afraid of commoners wanting to join their ranks, or were they afraid of the trials of heresy starting once again as had been done in the Middle Ages, trials that had claimed the lives of so many mortals and true witches alike.

If that was the case, hiding proved to be just as lethal now that Iscariot was suspected of the massacre at Hogsmeade.

"Albus Dumbledore, thank you for graciously opening your school to both my employees and me, but I am afraid that Mr. Ddollneazz and I will be leaving just as soon as I can brief you about the care of my vampires."

"Would you please stay for dinner tonight?" The elderly wizard smiled as he offered Integral his hand, who in turn took it for the sake of proper etiquette, allowing him to lead her up the stairs and through the great oak doors in to the castle just as darkness began to descend on the land. "Tonight is the sorting feast, and it is not very often that we have a muggle in our presence, let alone a Knight, Sir Hellsing."

He was trained in courtly manners. Great. This would be another boring evening of politeness and flattery, most likely culminating with some sort of formal ball.

"I do hate to appear ungrateful, but I do realize that your people do not wish for me to be here in the first place, as I do not wish to intrude on your territory. This is your world and I am not part of it, so if I could insist on completing my assignment, I can leave before your feast even begins."

Dumbledore sighed, still leading Integral toward the Great Hall with Walter just a few steps behind the pair. "I'm afraid that my guests have already assembled and are awaiting my presence for the affair to begin."

Integral sighed, glancing back to Walter, who remained emotionless as he followed. "Fine. I accept your offer. Mr. Ddollneazz and I stay for dinner only, and then we must discuss the treatment of Alucard and Seras Victoria."

"Very well." Dumbledore smiled as he led the two through the Great Hall toward the head table along the near wall. The older Slytherins glared at the two strange muggles as they passed, suppressing their laughter only because the headmaster was near.

If not for the candles floating in the air above the long tables and the grand glittering decorations above each of the four student sections in what must be their group's colors, Integra could have seen this grand feast as any other opening ceremony for any of the private schools the privileged children in the United Kingdom attended.

Or so she figured private school was like this. She had only ever been trained by private tutors and later Arthur and Walter inside Hellsing manor.

"Professor Snape," Dumbledore smiled as he released Integral's hand, taking his place next to the greasy haired potions instructor, who was standing between the empty end of the Slytherin table and the faculty table, his hands folded behind his back as he surveyed the students of his house, not seeming to notice the two muggles that accompanied the headmaster. "this is Sir Integral Hellsing. She is the master of the two vampires that will be residing in your house until our little, problem, is solved."

"Mr. Snape, I have a list of rules and commands to ensure the welfare of my Organization's finest members. Your headmaster has insisted that I stay for dinner, but I am quite anxious to discover how much knowledge you have of vampires."

Snape's black eyes quickly turned from his students, glaring directly in to the icy depths of the leader of Hellsing. This woman certainly had some nerve telling him about magical creatures. Normally, he would have leaned over the person he was trying to intimidate, but as the woman was equally as tall as he was, he could only glare and scowl in the hopes she would leave him alone. "Tell me, miss, when you learned the Defense Against the Dark Arts from your untrained father, did he instruct you on how to care for a vampire?"

Integral narrowed her eyebrows, folding her arms across her chest. "How DARE you take such a tone."

The potions professor remained calm, only a slight smirk giving any indication to his true feelings. "Any bumbling dolt with a blood packet and a cellar can care for a vampire. Now tell me, what is your vampire's favorite blood type so I know which students I need to warn."

"Sir Integra," Walter smiled casually as he bowed to his master, "Headmaster Dumbledore has arranged a seat for you at the faculty table."

"Thank you Walter." Her stony glare remained on the man charged with the care of Alucard and Seras, annoyed by the sheer audacity of his words, as she made her way behind the great table where outlandishly dressed witches and wizards were already seated and conversing between themselves.

A card with a Sir I. Hellsing was placed to the immediate right of Dumbledore's seat of prominence at the center of the table, and the young leader of Hellsing graciously sat next to the headmaster of the school, surveying the crowd yet again. A place setting for Walter was at the far end of the table, and the elderly gentleman had already taken a seat next to a small white haired wizard who was animatedly speaking with the retainer, obviously excited to be face to face with a non-wizard.

But that was not what bothered her. The place card and setting to her immediate right belonged to Professor Snape, the condescending jackass that dared insult her! If Dumbledore expected her to behave civilly to a pompous ass, well, he would be surprised if Snape had one more negative comment for her. . . .

~*~*~*~*~*~

"So which one d'ya suppose is the new DADA professor? I hope it's not that man in muggle clothes next to Snape."

"Ron, that man in muggle clothes is actually a woman." Hermione nodded as she turned her attention toward the faculty table, her prefect's badge polished brightly for this year's term. "And if you paid any attention in Professor Binns class, the red and black insignia on her jacket would obviously indicate that she is the leader of the Hellsing Organization, though I thought they were controlled by a man."

"Maybe they just had a change in leaders." Harry added, looking toward the doors where Hagrid and Professor McGonnagal shuffled the first years in to the Great Hall and toward the faculty table where the sorting process would take place.

"Well, whoever she is, d'ya think she's going to be the DADA professor? She was arguing with Snape earlier. I bet that's another blow to the ol' ego for that slimy git. To think, a vampire's guardian would get the job before him."

"Ron, I doubt Professor Dumbledore would give someone with less magic than a squib a professorship, even if she begged him for the job. And don't you remember what Hagrid told us in Diagon Alley? Someone, most likely the Hellsing Organization since they've come here, is sending agents to protect the school from whatever it was that ransacked Hogsmeade."

"Oh yeah, that Seras girl." Ron's attention now focused on the Sorting Hat as it began screaming out the different houses each new student was assigned into. "She was odd."

Hermione Granger rolled her eyes, not wanting to argue with her friend. Ron had become increasingly stubborn over the summer, and this just was not the proper time to try to explain what was really occurring.

Besides, the sorting was quickly coming to an end thanks to the massacre at Hogsmeade just a few days prior claiming the lives of many first year students whose parents brought them to the village for a treat just before the school year began, and Professor Dumbledore would most likely comment on the situation in his opening words to the students, explaining who and what everyone new at the table was and why they were currently at Hogwarts. She surely did not want to miss the official explanation.

As always, Hermione was correct. Taking the Sorting Hat and the stool it rested on from the center of attention, Dumbledore stood behind his seat, looking around the Great Hall at every one of the students in his care.

"Some of the sixth and seventh years may know that I used to be able to just welcome every one of you and then we would begin the feast, but this year we must reflect on the recent occurrences, or pray if that is your choice," he said with a smile directed at Integra, "for the lives lost in Hogsmeade only days ago."

The entire of the Great Hall remained silent for at least three minutes, less the shuffling on the benches by the new first years. Looking around at the sea of bowed heads, Dumbledore allowed himself a solemn smile before continuing.

"The Ministry of Magic is concerned for the safety of all wizarding persons across the United Kingdom since the attack. Because of this, Hogwarts will be housing two new magical creatures this year that have accepted the challenge of keeping the grounds safe from any possible threat. They are going to reside in Slytherin house, and Professor Snape has already agreed to care for them.

"Alucard, Seras, please come to the faculty table."

Integral quickly turned to her left as she watched Seras smile and politely wave to the students as she hurried to where Dumbledore stood. She was wearing long wine colored robes, very similar in style to what the other magical persons were wearing.

"I'm sorry, but my Master did not wish to come tonight." The vampire whispered to the headmaster before stepping to an empty seat near Walter at the faculty table.

"It seems that only Seras has decided to join us tonight. I am certain that you will all meet Alucard at least once during his stay.

"Seras is a vampire." A collective gasp rose from most every student, with a few first years sliding nearly all the way under the tables upon hearing this news. "She and her associate have been trained to hunt vampires and other potentially dangerous magical creatures, which is why the Ministry has asked Sir Hellsing," He nodded toward Integra, "if we could borrow her hunters until our problem is solved.

"Sir Hellsing will be leaving tomorrow, and I would like all of you to refrain from asking her question about her line of work. I know some of you future aurors would love the chance to learn how to hunt magical creatures as she does, but do stay away from Sir Integra, just as we all know to stay away from the Forbidden Forest.

"And the other question that I am absolutely certain is on most of the returning student's minds- who is the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor this year. Ellianna Pembroke recently graduated from Beauxbatons Academy, but she was a student at Hogwarts during her first through third years, only moving because her mother's job transferred to the Continent. She was a member of Ravenclaw during her tenure here, and I am certain that you will all enjoy Professor Pembroke's lessons.

"And I hope you will decide to stay here in that position for quite a long time Ellianna."

Dumbledore chuckled, winking at the mousy-haired woman just to the right of Professor McGonnagal.

"I'll try to make it work, Professor." She chuckled, smiling as she surveyed the crowd once again.

At his command, food appeared on every table in the dining hall, including more traditional muggle dishes and beverages for Integral and Walter, and a blood packet for Seras.

Soon, Integra could inform the headmaster of proper care not of a vampire, but of Alucard, and return with Walter to her London home, even if it required driving the car herself while the retainer slept in the backseat.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"So do you understand?" Integra sighed as she lit her third cigar of the meeting, her olive jacket resting over the back of a grand polished mahogany chair as she and the Potions professor remained alone in the headmaster's office while Dumbledore attended to the new DADA professor's needs. "Or must I repeat it again for you only slower this time?"

Snape remained motionless in his chair, bored with the situation. "Ms Hellsing, I know enough students with dispositions very much like your Alucard, and I know the best way to treat them. A problem vampire should not be treated any differently than a problem student."

"A problem vampire?" The shining smile and orange tinted glasses characteristic of Alucard were the first images of himself visible to both Snape and Integral, though soon he stood in his complete form, leaning against Dumbledore's desk as he casually looked between the two. "You're going to be fun to work for, Snivellus."

Integral only smirked as she watched the professor's expression harden at Alucard's words, enjoying that the smarmy bastard was finally meeting an equal in cynicism.

"It seems that my master has finally found an person comparable in sheer force of will, but tell me Snivellus, what is the difference between your kind and the other non-human filth that I am bound to eliminate?" Laughing, the vampire stepped closer to the professor, bending down so that he could be face to face with the man. "Your kind's pride is even more than my master's species. It's truly pathetic."

"Alucard, enough." Exhaling the smoke in a thin trail from her lips, Integra pulled her olive jacket on once again, stepping toward the door only after making certain that her hair lay flat on her back after pulling from between the jacket and her blouse. "You can have your fun with the magical folk later, but until the Iscariot threat to our nation has been completely eradicated, Mr. Snape will be both Seras' and your guardian. He also does know the incantations for the Control Art Restriction system and I have given him full authority to exercise control over you at any time deemed necessary. You have your orders Alucard, and I expect you to complete them without flaw or hesitation. Your Master Hellsing commands it."

Walter had been standing just outside the office doors throughout the entire meeting, and smiled at his charge as she walked from the inner room to the hall, not once giving notice to the ornate bookshelves and moving portraits lining the walls. Following Integral, the two mortal members of the Hellsing Organization made their way through the castle toward where their car would be waiting in complete silence.

She knew that the professor fully understood what he must do for Alucard and Seras, and she knew that his pride as a noble of his kind, albeit an obviously disgraced member of the aristocracy, was what forced his attitude to be so distant to those who wished an audience with him.

This attitude was common in the lower Lords and younger children of the royal family, and she could deal with it more quickly than she could the stares of the students as the glared at her as she sat in the Great Hall at the feast earlier in the evening.

The potions master would care for the vampires correctly, there was no doubt in her mind to the contrary. She had only been concerned that the man would not be able to command Alucard's respect.

Snape watched the blond woman leave with the elderly gentleman that seemed to be her version of a house elf, then turned back to Alucard, who was now amusing himself by browsing the bookshelves that lined the walls.

"Vampire, follow me."

Alucard smirked yet again. Should he humor the man?

"I do have a name, Snivellus."

"Mr. Alucard, if you would get your hooked nose out of those books, I would like to show you to the dungeons where you can spend your days."

Chuckling, Alucard stepped in to the bookcase, seemingly passing through it as he moved. But Severus knew better. The vampire was playing with him, and he could not allow such insolence to run rampant through his house and his classroom.

Leaving the office, Snape quickly headed for the dungeons, hoping to find either of the vampires already there and patiently waiting for his tour of the Slytherin house and the rooms where their coffins would be kept.

But then again, in all of his Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons, he had never once heard that vampires ever did what they had been ordered to do, unless it somehow benefited them personally.

He surely hoped that the need for daytime shelter would prevail as a personal benefit for this vampire.