Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Youth and Innocence ❯ chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Youth and Innocence
Chapter 5
Mary closed the door with a muted click. Several of the staff and agents were gathered, almost standing vigil in the hallway. They all looked at her face, searching for something. “She's napping now.” Mary had sat next her, patting her back for nearly an hour as Integra lay, tears leaking out now and then while Mary sang church hymns softly. “I think she'll be fine, but so many shocks,” she shook her head, “it's only been a month since she came home.” Her father's illness, then the unpleasantness with her uncle, Mr. Bennett's suicide and now this accident, Mary just didn't know how much one child was supposed to take? So much death wasn't what she wanted for her charge, but there was no way to protect her from the pain of life.
Walter's mind was working in another direction. He spoke in low tones, “She needs to be strong, Mary, we haven't much time.” Islands had counted on him to lock Alucard up and they had to face the Knights in two days time, less now considering it was evening.
Mary looked at the other men, anger building inside her, “Now you listen, Mr. Dollnez, she's still a child! Whatever it is you need her for, you just go do it yourself. Shame on all of you!” Her courage faltered at the grim looks on the agents faces, though the young waiter and the butler, Patel, looked kindly enough. “Now everyone run along, she needs to rest a wee bit.” She stared at the unmoving agents.
“We need her in her office as soon as she wakes,” Walter's monocle reflected nothing of his feelings, but he would take no more lip from this woman. “She's been through a great deal Mary, and there will be much more ahead of her. She needs strength, not pity.”
Mary bristled at the unspoken rebuke. Her love did not weaken the girl! “You go on, you lot. I'll send her shortly, now off with you.” She turned back to Integra's room, sighing as she softly pushed the door open.
The four men walked in silence to the director's office. Pettrus opened the doors past his own desk and on into Integra's office. “Messy business,” he said once they all were in.
“Right odd,” Reynolds agreed, “a horse'd have to be wild with fright to do such a thing, or trained to it, I suppose...”
Walter ignored the conversation. “You'll be out tonight, Stephan?” Walter still thought of Draper as a bit of a child, though he'd served since the seventies. He was one of the few that Alucard hadn't checked out for Arthur. Still, he was a nice lad, handy with guns. Years ago Draper had suggested they use flamethrowers but the few times they'd tried in the field had been memorable disasters. He was quieter about his ideas since then. Walter could feel the younger man's excitement.
“Oh yeah, just backup duty,” he looked at Reynolds who smiled back.
“No one else I'd like watching out for me, kid,” Reggie wasn't looking forward to the kill, unlike the others it was just what he did. This one was easy, out of town and aside from ghouls, didn't present much worry. “We were talking earlier and we think this might be a good one to take the girl on.” He looked between Tom and Walter, not sure whose approval he should get.
Neither man spoke, but a small voice chimed in, “I'd like that.” Integra entered the office her usually dark skin looking so oddly pale that all the men moved toward her, ready to help if needed. “What? I'm fine. Really.” She moved through them, aware of the concerned looks. “I've seen men die before, you know.” The bravado was an act, but it had the intended effect, the men backed off and she sat down at her desk. Pettrus and Walter moved to opposite sides of the room and Mr. Reynolds and Stephan Draper took the seats across from her desk. “I haven't read the report for tonight, but this case seems pretty clear, right?”
Reynolds cleared his throat, “I like to think so, the set up of the house is the only worry. We don't get separated and we should be fine. Draper will keep you with him and sweep for ghouls while I try to get to the bastard's inner sanctum. He's been cagey, but this is the best intelligence on where he'll be. I'd move in the day, but he's been hopping between lairs, so we need to get there fast.” He liked the spark in her eyes, but knew she didn't have the experience to be anything but a burden to Draper. Stephan had been the one that suggested it though and understood what it entailed.
“Brilliant,” she sent a challenging look at Walter. The look on his face did not attempt to hide how foolish he thought this was. “Perhaps I should take a gun, too?”
Walter nodded slowly back at her, but Draper jumped in, “I'll pack several for you, ma'am.” Reynolds looked a bit surprised and hoped she didn't shoot them all out of fright. “If that's a yep from you, Reggie?” Reynolds shifted in his seat, looking at the floor now. As for himself, he wouldn't go out unarmed, but a child?
Surprisingly, it was Walter who came to support her, “She's capable with a gun, Reggie. If she has to go out, I'd like her armed.” He kept a scowl on his face, but her smile did his heart good. Reynolds held his hands up, shrugging.
“It should be an easy job, ma'am, that's what I'm thinking. Be down in the garage in a half hour. Dress for running, if you don't mind, my Lady,” he might regret this, he thought, but she was the one who wanted to get experience. He nudged Draper with his elbow and they moved to the door. Reynolds thought Tom looked like the cat that ate the canary and figured it must be over how annoyed Dollnez was that the girl was going out without him. Reynolds smiled to himself as well. It's not often you pulled something like that on the man Arthur Hellsing used to call the “Angel of Death.”
Walter leaned against the wall, watching Integra. The mood inside the office was quite somber. Her eyes held such pain, Walter felt like he was looking into her fathers, many years ago. “It's my fault,” she managed to whisper.
Walter turned to the man across the room, “Pettrus, get out.” The large man stared hard at him, but his look was met by a calm certainty.
“Dollnez, I don't think you-”
“Please, Tom,” Integra's voice sounded almost defeated; he hesitated.
“I'm sure Lady Hellsing hasn't eaten today, Tom, why don't you get her a bite to take with her?” Walter thanked the years he'd had to work on diplomatic skills while managing her father's affairs. Finally the secretary moved, still giving Walter dirty looks as he exited.
As soon as the door closed, Walter tried to console her, “You mustn't blame yourself.” He crossed the office to stand next to her, but she had turned inward, seeming not to notice. “Alucard-”
“No! He isn't to blame,” she looked up at him, as if willing her words to be true. “Mr. Riley said it, horses can get very aggressive and have been known to...” her words petered out. Walter wasn't the one she needed to convince.
He looked away. The drama of youth, he thought. “Miss, there are,” he chose his words carefully, “certain... punishments available, should you... decide to.” He left it at that, the look on her face was enough. “He must be controlled, Integra.”
That sank in, but she still couldn't be certain it was anything more than... It had been daylight after all. No, it was her fault Skip died. If she hadn't kissed him... she hadn't told a soul about that. “I take responsibility, Walter. Please see to Mr. Riley and set him up comfortably. And,” she took a shaky breath, “And we need to get rid of the horses.” Tears welled up in her eyes, but she wouldn't give vent to them.
Walter crouched down, despite the soft complaints of his knees, so that his eyes were level with hers, “Please Integra, you can't take the blame,” he touched her hair as she moved her head to his shoulder. Walter embraced her, his arms circling her shoulders, wishing his strength could help her. Integra forced herself to keep from crying. There will be more trials, she thought, I've just got to make it through this. At the point where awkwardness set in, she pulled away, wiping at her nose. Walter said nothing, handing her his handkerchief.
“Thank you, Walter,” she didn't want to meet his eyes, so she looked at the top file. “Do you really think it's a bad idea, me going out?” She heard him sigh as he stood.
“I don't want you getting hurt. Reynolds and Draper are good men, but Reggie doesn't stop to think of danger and Draper, well, he's not the best in a tight spot. I'd like to come to make-” the sound of the intercom startled them both.
“Walter? It's your bird and she sounds mad, man,” Leung's voice informed them.
Integra clicked the button, “Route it up.” She looked at Walter as the phone rang.
“Father Baker here,” he didn't try for a chipper voice, there was no need.
“Oh is it? Hell-thing or something is more like!” At least it was her voice and she was still alive.
“Ah, Emily,” he felt a relief that he didn't need the character of the vicar anymore. “They haven't murdered you yet, then?”
“Murder? I'd like to kill you is what I'd like. How dare you! Who the Hell are you?” Emily's question brought a smile to Walter's lips, but he remained silent. They only needed another minute to be certain of a trace and he was sure she could vent at him for quite a while. “I can't believe you lied to me! Do you think you're some kind of cop or something? I thought I meant something to you! That you cared for me... Well I'm going through with this, damn you! I don't care if you're not!”
“They haven't told you what it entails have they? They will drain your blood and infect you with foul vampyric blood. Your soul will be forever damned.” He was holding the handset so that Integra could hear as well and she raised an eyebrow at him. Walter shrugged, the woman seemed too shocked to speak, “Emily, dear, could I speak to the vampires there with you?”
“The what? Don't be-” There was a gasp and then the sound of the phone being dropped and picked up.
“Hellsing? I thought he was dead. What could Hellsing want with a good church-going girl?” The voice was full of humor and lies. “Please don't contact this poor child again.” There was a click and Walter slammed down his own line.
“Pat?” he asked the intercom.
“No could do this time.” Leung wasn't slow at this sort of thing so Walter wondered why Draper was able to get traces faster?
“Thanks anyway, Pat. I doubt she'll call back, but be on the alert. I'll need to track her, see where they take her. Be ready to run tonight, please. I'll need you with me more than here.” He turned to Integra, hoping not to see any reproach. Thankfully, she seemed to be approve. “If you don't mind, my Lady,” he added for good measure, having already disconnected with Leung.
“I'll go change,” Integra felt a mix of emotions washing over her as she stood and she wasn't sure what to do with any of them. He probably could run Hellsing better than she. “Thank you,” she mumbled as she left.
By the time they passed through Sudbury, Integra had eaten and was being filled in on the gossip between Pettrus and Walter. “He kept taking all the birds Tom brought back, thought it was a lark, really. It's been how many years now and old Pettrus can't forgive 'em.” Draper seemed to be the calmer of the two as Reggie kept having to stop laughing in order to drive.
Reynolds egged Draper on, “Tell her about the time he walked in on it, that was a month of watching his back with Tom, I'll tell you that! In flagrante delicto!”
Stephan blushed, “She's a bit young, Reg,” but his words had no effect on the other man.
“Old man should've known to lock his own door, but I think he was wanting Pettrus to know. Tom never brought a girl back though, not after that one!”
“Mind you, Miss,” Draper cut in, “Things were a bit different here then. That was before your mum.”
Integra thought how difficult it must've been for these men, living their whole lives together, cut off from the world in some ways. She tried to laugh at the right times, but theirs was a world she didn't think she could ever understand. She sipped tea from her thermos and almost breathed it through her nose when Draper asked, “So tell us about your Alucard, then.” He looked at her expectantly and she saw Reynolds looking in the rear view as well. When she didn't answer right away, Draper cleared his throat, “Well, that is, Leung said he wasn't, you know, a trash vamp or anything.”
“No,” she said slowly, “I don't think he could be called that.” An idea struck her, “You know the book Dracula?”
Draper laughed, but Reynolds chimed in, “Your grandfather said that his father used it as a teaching aid, going to educate the masses about the danger until the King put the squeeze on it and made his group classified. This was early on, right?”
She nodded, “He was also able to harness... a very powerful vampire, to bind him. He was trying to do good, I think. That was what Walter told me.”
“Ah, I get it,” said Draper, “so he wanted a good vampire? Turning around the name of his fictional vampire like he was turning around the beast?”
“Well,” she was impressed, “yes, something like that.”
“So what are his powers? What forms can he take? We've seen some pretty amazing vampires in our day, Miss. I wonder if yours can do the bats thing?”
Integra shifted uncomfortably in the sedan's backseat. Draper was oblivious and rattled off some of the things he'd seen in his years of vampire hunting. She was saved having to answer by Reggie announcing that they were near. The fields had grown in size as they passed through the small towns of Cavendish and Clare. Both men seemed to be transforming. Reynolds face became like stone and Draper lost his chatty nature, the look in his eyes hardening. Integra tried to follow suit, taking this moment quite seriously. They parked a block away from the gated home. She saw white shapes in the field, sheep she assumed, but they didn't move much in the night. The men did not speak until they pulled two weapon bags out of the boot. Integra looked to Draper for her gun, but he settled his bag on his shoulder and signaled for her to follow. She did and he leaned down to whisper in her ear, “Stay back, away from Reynolds. When he gets, you know, he's a bit wild with that axe. When we get in, you and I will drop back a bit, safer that way.”
Reynolds motioned for them to keep up as they came up to the fence. He clipped a small hole and they combat crawled between the small opening and the wet grass. Reynolds said in a low voice, “Stay close, Miss.”
She looked to Mr. Draper who winked at her, so she nodded but was a bit unsure who she was agreeing to. They moved as quietly as possible across the large lawn, using scattered hedges as regrouping locations. They were almost to the back of the house before the first ghoul was aware of them. As Draper had said, Reggie did swing his weapon wide and made quick work of the zombie. She wasn't prepared for the stench of the decayed flesh flying over her, but handled herself well according to the supportive looks from the men.
Inside the darkened back hall, Stephan Draper pulled out his rifle and handed Integra a small caliber pistol. It was lighter than the Colt Walter had let her work with that day. She appreciated that as her arm was still sore and now her back was hurting, from tensing up in the barn she imagined. The men used a sign language of sorts to plan out directions.
“Let's hang back a bit here,” he whispered. “He'll clear a path, we'll take clean up, keeping anyone from his back.” Not daring to speak, she gave him a hand sign to indicate understanding. Another ghoul attacked Reggie as he moved toward a staircase in front of them so Integra took aim. Stephan signaled her to put it down and he plugged a shot through the creature's head. She shook her head, but his face was stern and brooked no argument. Reynolds made a hand sign that Integra thought meant come up, but Draper held her back. “Just a minute, Miss,” he leaned down to her, “While we wait, what else can you tell me about your vampire?”
Integra was taken aback. She whispered, “I thought we were supposed to be quiet?”
His soft laugh wasn't echoed in his eyes. “I was wondering about his religion especially. Did you know that some vampires aren't afraid of crosses? They still burn, but there's no fear.” He kept eye contact with her, watching the confusion grow behind her large glasses. “Doesn't that raise more questions?” They heard the sounds of gunfire from the rooms above, but he reached down and held her shoulder. “He's doing fine, Miss, he doesn't want us messing things up.”
Integra tried to pull her arm free. Why did everyone pick on the hurt one? Alucard hadn't been far from her mind all night but she didn't want to discuss him. She thought of her conflicted feelings as she tried to free her arm... again. Mr. Draper wouldn't release her. She looked up at his face and felt fear churn in the pit of her stomach. He brought a small Browning revolver out of his jacket and pointed it at her. Quickly, she raised her own gun, straight at his grinning face. “What are you playing at, Agent?” She was proud that her voice held none of the feelings that pounded in her chest.
“Oh, Miss, don't be silly,” his tone was still soft, but his words were made of steel, “would I give you ammo if I was going to kill you?” He watched as her mind raced. More gunshots rang upstairs. “We don't need any more Hellsing involvement, even if it's from a kid.”
“Reynolds!” she called, forgetting about any need for secrecy. “REYNOLDS!”
Draper cocked his head, listening for shots that didn't ring out. He smiled and shook her shoulder, “I think we're going according to plan tonight.” A scraping sound drew his eyes upwards as a tall female vampire appeared over the stair rail, dragging Reynolds prone body behind her.
“Good job, pet,” she blew a kiss to Draper.