Hellsing Fan Fiction ❯ Youth and Innocence ❯ Final Chapter ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Youth and Innocence
Chapter 8
Final Chapter
It wasn't like her to second guess a decision, but Integra was wondering if she should have given in to Mary regarding the skirt. Both Walter and Mary had greeted her this morning, making sure she got an early start considering her considerable schedule today. An argument erupted between her caretakers over what she would wear; Walter pushed for black trousers and a suit jacket. Mary wanted her back in colors and had picked out one of the pretty blue school skirts. The whole fight was ridiculous to think about now but they took it very personally. While she could see the wisdom of the more masculine ensemble, this morning she couldn't go against Mary. It was more than she could bear sometimes, all this loss. She sighed as she looked out the window at the passing countryside. Of course she could bear it, she knew that. It was just that sometimes...
Walter was silent at her side. Aside from the fuss over her clothes, he'd been exceedingly serene since last night. She'd fallen asleep reading the background information he'd provided and woke as he laid her in bed. His smile was warm and his voice soft as he told her that it was all going to be okay. She'd get to keep Hellsing once they saw how well she did, he was sure of that. Any lingering suspicion she'd held was gone. He wouldn't turn on her, he never would. The creature slumped across from them was less trustworthy, but she was grateful to him for coming as well. Alucard was wrapped in his red duster and had pulled his wide brimmed hat down over his eyes. The windows were tinted, but if he had to ride he'd said, he'd rather do it sleeping.
In truth, he was not asleep. Alucard was mulling over a discussion from the day before. It bothered him on many levels and needed careful consideration. Walter was aging. That was his choice and Alucard could respect that, even admire it. Yet he couldn't understand it. There was a clinical understanding, of course. He knew some things better than the man as he could hear vertebrate scraping or the sound of a heart straining, but the experience of it was beyond him. His friend was slowing down and needed longer rest breaks. They'd moved a sleeping bag into the dungeon cell for him. Alucard took a break as well so that their victim could regrow some skin along his back. It was as he was leaning on the wall next to Walter that the conversation began.
“I'm coming to the end of my usefulness to Hellsing,” Walter had wanted to bring it up for a while. He didn't expect much of a reaction and he wasn't disappointed. Alucard gave a short grunt. It was an acknowledgment of the truth, nothing more was needed. “Will you help me, should it come to that?”
Alucard lifted an eyebrow, his red eyes full of humor, “How much 'assistance' does a killer need? You know how these things are done. Do you 'need' or 'want' my help?”
“Want,” Walter frowned, “I shouldn't think you'd need much convincing. She won't want me around much after.”
“Have you spoken to her?” Alucard looked away, the silence answering his question. How would Walter ask if she wanted him dead? “She's put a new restriction on me. I'm to become a kept dog, to be fed at her whim,” he let a hiss escape. He could respect her for doing it, yet hated the new rule. “Punishment,” he snorted. “I am always selective! My hunting does good, ridding humanity of the weak, the parasites.” His hands gestured to show the world of good he did.
Walter sat up, propping himself with his arms, “Was the boy weak, Alucard? Riley's boy? His father can't even look at his son's face. You crushed it. Was his death good for us or part of your sick sense of humor?”
Alucard ignored the rhetoric. He watched the piece of trash strapped to the wall, monitoring the slow healing progress. “You will miss your nap time, old man.”
It was Walter's turn to grunt. He gave Alucard a dark look, but did roll over and try to relax. He'd slept with the undead killer beside him many times and was no more or less safe now than then.
Alucard let the memory fade as he thought over the conversation. He had never known Walter to be weak. Physically? Without his wires he was still fast, close to a vampire's speed, though weakening with age. But spiritually? For him to contemplate suicide was ludicrous. Alucard snorted softly. And yet, his life was his duty. Without duty, what life could there be? He had rejected Alucard's offer, though the vampire would've treasured his blood, his soul. With Walter, he would have a companion and in time an equal. There was no use dwelling on that; the man would rather die, his last act in service to Hellsing. Alucard doubted Integra would order Walter to, but that was only due to her ignorance. If she understood all that he knew about the organization, she couldn't allow him to leave Hellsing freely. Too many other people were aware and they would make use of him against her. Her new restriction would keep Alucard from enjoying it even if he did sway to that decision, damnable timing. Willing blood from a friend? Bittersweet and darkly delicious, he imagined. Alucard's senses, though weakened by the daylight, alerted him to the end of their ride and hence, the end to his meditation.
The chauffeur slowed the limousine as they entered the mansion gates. Sir Islands had chosen his own facility for the meeting and it was certainly imposing. Integra supposed her own homestead would fit on a corner of his property. He was old money and plenty of it. Her family had money, of course, but it was only a few generations deep and their nobility came through marriage. Undoubtedly, this choice of locale was intended to send her a message and it did. Well, she had a message for them as well. Walter reached over and squeezed her hand. Alucard stirred as well and pushed the brim of his hat up so that she could see one smoldering eye. “Ready, Master?”
Integra looked out the car door as the driver moved around to open it for her, “Mm hmm.” She released Walter's hand as she exited. An impeccably dressed older gentleman met them at the top of the stairs, “Good morning, Madam Hellsing. My name is Christopher, the Islands' family retainer. Hello again Walter, Mr. Alucard. Won't you all follow me.”
As they were walking, Walter quietly answered the question in Integra's eyes, “Financial genius, helped Islands rebuild the family wealth. Bit of a prat really but he's good.”
Christopher guided them to an internal meeting room on the third floor. They were told, in an impeccably polite manner, to wait outside the heavy oak doors until the business meeting ended and the Knights invited them in. Two guards stood at said doors and seemed to be staring at fixed points in space, but Walter and Alucard knew that they were being watched. Not so Integra and she walked up to the guards before anyone reacted. They hadn't been warned about the child. “Stand aside, let me in,” she ordered. The guards seemed too shocked to move against her. She put her hands on her hips, “Well? Open the damned door. I belong in this meeting.” The men looked at one another, questioning silently if this would cost them their jobs, before opening the doors for her. Walter had the manners to hide his amusement, but Alucard's grin was too large for the shadows to conceal as he stood in the doorway behind her.
“Integra? What is the meaning of this?” Sir Bolcom was on his feet as were several other men with variations of the same question on their lips. Sir Islands, in a chair near the door rose like the gracious host that he was and greeted her with a handshake and a peck on her cheek, “My dear, were you waiting long? We were just finishing up some tedious business, but I'm sure we can make time to discuss-”
“Good day Gentlemen, Sir Islands,” she nodded at them all, withdrawing her hand from his, “pardon my rudeness, but while I have not been officially knighted, the queen has graciously allowed me to take up my duties and they include a seat at this table.” With her chin lifted, she challenged each eye she met to contradict her.
All of the men turned to Islands with their protests. “She is too young, surely you don't mean to-” “Good God, Islands, wasn't he locked away?” “Perhaps when she is just a bit older-” “I thought we had this worked out?” “This is no place for a little girl, really-” “Walter, what is the meaning of this?”
Sir Islands, to his credit, studied Integra for a moment, ignoring the complaints. He pursed his lips and gestured to the one empty chair in the room, “Quite right, my dear, quite right, please take your seat.” He gave a serious look to the man on his left, “Lord Skeffington, would you please go on with the concerns of the Office of Fair Trading? Oh, and Walter? Would you and Alucard be so kind as to wait outside? Your charge will be perfectly safe in here with us and we will call you when we move onto the problem of Hellsing.” If she wanted to play with the big boys, he would let her... on his terms.
Walter opened his briefcase to hand Integra a notepad, calculator and pencil, tools she would need to survive boring presentations. It was the best he could do for her. He and the vampire stalked back out of the room, relieved to avoid what Walter thought of as the worst part of heading Hellsing. He wondered if Alucard felt tired like he did as they both sat in the hard backed chairs in the hallway. It felt like he had hardly closed his eyes when the vampire poked him in his sore side.
“It's time, old Death,” Alucard hissed already on his feet as the door was opening. He hoped the vampire hadn't had to eavesdrop on the full meeting. Walter had stood in for Arthur from time to time and it was mind numbing the minutia those men dealt with.
As they entered, he heard Integra who was standing on her chair, ”... don't think you can bore me back to school with roofing prices and tank research! I have arranged for private classes that should see me to tests within the year. From there I shall work with the professors at Oxford for my degree. There will be no more discussion of that. Am I clear?” He moved behind her chair with Alucard beside him, hat removed, his hair neatly behaving at neck length.
The men around the table looked taken aback, but they were not shaken by her speech so much as by the close proximity of the assassin and the vampire who appeared to be backing her up. Bolcom and others shared looks that communicated their concern. Integra attempted to get the nobles' attention back to her as she sat down, smoothing her skirt in a ladylike manner. “Now, questions?”
In the silence that followed one could hear the faint ticking of the gears in the minds of the Knights. Each one trying to find the right approach to knock her off her perch. Islands, being the most adroit, went first. “My dear Lady, we've heard of the horrible accident that took the life of a young man in your stable. What has come of the inquiry?”
She waited just a beat before answering, “As you no doubt know, we're having an autopsy performed on the horse to discover the cause of his aggressive behavior,” she ignored her servant's presence, but the men around the table were not so discreet and eyes flitted to him. “We suspect,” she hurried on to cut them off, “that a combination of arthritis and a potential equine virus were involved. That blood work should be back soon.”
Islands seemed to be considering how far to take this, “And do you think the fault lies entirely with the creature?”
“Yes,” she could answer that one honestly as he didn't specify which creature. The one in question behind her bristled slightly, but only she noticed. “Antaka was put down, as you would expect. We will have no more violent outbursts from him. The remaining horses have already been moved.”
The other men weren't pacified, but she was certain that Islands understood her point. He nodded, “Moving on, the Church is most concerned about the recent damage to St Edwards. How will you answer the question of why it is taking so long to find and punish those responsible? How many more churches will they lose?”
Integra turned to Walter who was already opening his briefcase, “Agent Dollnez was able to obtain some information that should put them at ease... or perhaps not considering the extent of the problem.” The men began to open the manila folders as he went around the table. A whistle was heard as some familiar names were seen.
“We won't be able to touch him,” Newcastle said, his finger pointing to one name.
Bolcom smiled, his face showing a new regard for Integra as he turned to face her, “Oh, I don't know about that.”
Islands took up the sly smile, “With our newest Knight on board, none of these men are untouchable.”
Integra looked at Walter as he returned to her side. So that was what he'd meant, she thought when he spoke about what he'd become for Hellsing's sake. The men were looking at the three of them with smiles as understanding chased confusion from her face. This was the trade off? They would let her play if she did the counsel's dirty work? “All of them?” her voice was edged in iron. Walter and Alucard shared a look and a slow smile.
Islands looked down the list, then at the other members. All of the men nodded in unison and then rose. The meeting was over and she had passed their test. “Well done, Integra,” he shook her hand and moved closer as if to give her a hug, but stopped as he felt the chilly gaze of Alucard. “Ah, well, you all have work to do, of course,” he moved on to speak with another Knight.
Integra felt oddly empty as they left. She was accepted by men her father's age, yet just like with the agents, she could never be one of them. It was a lonely road she had ahead.
Patel escorted her last tutor of the day to the door. Walter took that as his cue to head to the kitchen and discuss her tea. Mary apparently had the same thought, but left with good grace and went back to her chambers. Walter watched her go. He felt neither pleasure, nor sorrow at the thought of Mary leaving the household. It simply was the case that Integra had moved on. He thought of his own coming departure as he hefted the tray and walked to her office. Knocking softly, he entered. Integra was engrossed in her reading, but this wasn't schoolwork. He recognized Arthur's handwriting. “Sir Integra, your dinner.” He placed the tray on the side of the desk, acknowledged only by a flip of her hair. Unsure, Walter stood to the side, waiting for her to begin to eat.
Finally, she turned her face to him, “Walter? Did you read these?” Her voice was barely a whisper. She found that was all she had, emotion tying up the rest of it. He shook his head and she wished she could tell if that were true. “But you had the keys,” she pointed at the safe, now uncovered, with her grandfather's slashed face sitting on the floor below it.
Walter took a deep breath, “Integra, he was my best friend. I... I was there with him throughout. I have no need to read them.” He couldn't look at her blue eyes, so like her father's. His own voice choked up, “Your father wrote to keep his sanity. He did not expect you to read them,” Walter felt like he was apologizing for the uncensored record she would find. And he was. “None of us were angels.”
That is an understatement, she thought. “Not even the 'Angel of Death?'” she arched her eyebrows before turning her gaze back to her father's words.
“Especially not,” he agreed. He'd never read the whole record, just parts. Over the years Arthur had even asked him to write sometimes, dictating when he was drunk but needed a thought put down. He saw them again before her father's death and resisted the temptation to alter the record or simply tear out whole sections. He would've wanted her to be eighteen before she knew... but Alucard insisted. As usual though, the bastard was off while he was left to face her questions. As the new shipment of anti-midian bullets had arrived, he was gone to start the knock down list. Walter coughed and Integra looked up at him. “I've taken the liberty to schedule a meeting in the morning with several of the senior military officers who are interested in helping Hellsing develop.” With Ferguson and the others, Integra would be in good hands. They had already pointed out the need to recruit medical and support staff, something he might've overlooked. Walter was certain the mix would be good.
“Yes Walter? Very good,” she seemed lost to the present as she learned about the past.
He smiled. If he could only see her eat, he would happily leave her alone here with her father. Walter stood off to the side until he was quite certain she had forgotten him. His mind wandered to the past as well and he was startled to hear her repeat herself.
“Very good,” Integra spoke to the air, “come back then and I'll bring you your meal.” An odd smile played on her thin lips.
Alucard, he expected. Walter wondered about that but as she reached her good hand over to the sandwich plate, he felt he was no longer needed. He had to admit that she was handling Alucard much better than he had expected. “Sir Integra?” Walter watched her surprise as she noticed him again.
“Yes?”
Fine lines became deeper around his eyes as he smiled at her, “I'm... thinking of retiring once your new staff is up and running. I think I've found suitable replacements and once the transition is complete...”
Integra's emotions ran so quickly that it was hard for her to know what they would settle on. She felt a sharp pain as she thought of life without either Mary or Walter. Shock, sadness, anger and even grief all registered dimly, but a sudden keen sense of humor came and settled. “Yes, that sounds good, very good,” she watched his unreadable face harden, before she added, “if you're interested, I have a new opening on my personal staff.”
“Ah, what are you looking for? I'll make some calls,” his affairs were in order and he thought he'd seen to hers. Once Ferguson was there to look after her, he would leave, with or without Alucard's help. Of course the seals prevented the vampire from harming a Hellsing employee, but there were loopholes, for example if the person requested actions that resulted in their own harm or if they were in danger of becoming a ghoul. Alucard could think his way into or out of most situations involving the seals. Walter watched Integra search through her papers for something.
“Here it is. Position: Hellsing family retainer. Applicant must have over forty years of experience putting up with Hellsing family members.” Her smile was radiant as she got the reaction she'd wanted from him. “If there's one thing I've learned Walter, it's that my father couldn't have managed without you.”
They stood, separated by a desk and the expanse of her office floor, yet he'd never felt closer to her. “My Lady,” he bowed his head, one arm crossed over his chest.
The kitchen was dark, but Integra found the note from the head chef taped up to the industrial refrigerator. No doubt he thought she was daft, but he'd done as she asked. She took two wine bottles out and headed down the now familiar path. She hesitated just outside his door, but knew that it was too late to turn back, he was aware of her. As if to prove the point, his door flew open. There was a tall chair, like the ones in the library, as the sole nod to comfort. Not her comfort, mind. He was resting in the chair, tracking her with half lidded eyes. “Come,” he purred.
She approached him smiling. “Report.”
“All targets silenced. There were no complications,” he leaned forward, not disguising his interest in the bottles she carried.
“And the bodies?” She put her hands behind her back, shaking the bottles slightly to increase the sound of their contents.
He reclined, crossing one leg with the ankle of the other. She was obviously enjoying his hunger too much. “Would you like to hear how they looked? Their shock at being exposed? How easily the bullets ripped through their flesh?” He smiled as the look of amusement dropped from her face, then he went on, “No? The bodies were deposited as directed with the MI forces,” he frowned, guessing what her next question would be. He waited.
“And you did not consume any of their blood?”
Alucard hissed lowly, “No, I could not.” Children should not have dominion over vampires, he grumbled to himself.
“Good. I have some for you,” she brought the wine bottles out, but still held them a few feet away from him. “Pettrus is setting up a regular supply of donated blood, but this can do for you until then.”
It took all of his control not to invade her mind and explore what she was holding back. He stood, approaching her slowly, his eyes on the bottles.
“How long has it been, Servant, since you have had human blood?”
His brain kept track of many trivialities, like how many minutes until dawn? Forty nine. How long since he had eaten? Five days three hours and fifteen minutes. “A few days, my Master.”
“A few days? How long exactly, if you please. Give me the exact number,” she stood her ground as he circled her.
“Ah, you've read your father's writings,” he smiled at her.
She looked away, unsure how to answer. “Some,” her cheeks burned.
“Good,” he moved back to his chair, still empty handed.
“Why? Why did you want me to know?” she tried to keep her mood as calm as she could, but her voice was getting high and tight.
He took his time settling into his chair, fiddling with a pair of glasses he'd picked up in his travels tonight, “It's important to our... relationship that you understand.” He looked her in the eyes, the briefest hesitation in her blue eyes as she struggled to match his gaze, “Understand the monster you command.”
“My father...” she lost the staring contest and examined her shoes instead. They were lovely shoes, but she didn't really see them.
“Was a flawed man, yes.” He had some compassion for her situation, not much but some. He had been a father, in life and in death, and had never been anything but flawed. Loved, to be certain, but heavily flawed. She'd lost the man and now she had to lose the myth as well. With everything stripped from her she would find her core, her strength. A smile crawled across his face despite her pain. “Whose blood is it?” he sniffed, but the bottles were sealed. He flexed his mind and found Walter alive and working as usual. Another agent, perhaps?
“You'll recognize him,” she said with a grim smile. Integra walked close to his chair and handed him both bottles. “Forgive my rudeness if I don't stay to watch.”
He was used to the queasiness reflected when he consumed human blood, from any source, in front of people, “Not at all, my Master.” He stood, moving toward his coffin as the clock in his body warned him of dawn, now only forty five minutes away. “Perhaps you can keep control of your hands today, so that I may sleep?” His eyes taunted her as she left hastily. Once she was gone, he procured a glass. Swirled a small amount out of a bottle, he thought the scent odd, but it had been in an unclean container. As the red liquid hit his tongue he roared out, spewing the drink across his perfect casket.
He pulled back his arm and threw the bottle full force toward the still open door. The second one followed the first, glass and blood showering the hallway with a sound like a gunshots. He glowered as he heard her footsteps hurrying along the upper stairs. Horse blood seeped slowly into the stones.
A/N: R and R