Hetalia - Axis Powers Fan Fiction ❯ Going Insane ❯ Window Pain ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

She waited at the window, a mug of hot cocoa in her hands. Gazing out, she watched the driveway through the rain. The streams of water made it hard to see anything but an outline of anything outside, but she was waiting; waiting for him to return.
It had been years since the fight had begun with her son. After allowing him to go and do something on his own, he had demanded to be emancipated. The way he put it was “What I want, is my freedom.” She had been devastated. She didn't want him to leave, but knowing her younger son, he wasn't going to give up.
She didn't want to admit it to herself, but she knew he wasn't coming home. Knowing her husband, he was going to do anything in his power to make their son return with him to England.
Her eyes filled with tears. She was still fighting with herself about letting her son go. She didn't want him to leave. He was the younger of her two boys and she hated to watch him go like his older brother.
As she wiped away her tears, a car rolled up in the driveway. Through the rain, she saw a figure get out of the front and hold the door open for someone else. As the figure that just got out made its way to the front door, she placed her mug on the decorative table next to the window.
Her husband walked into the room, soaked. His uniform was torn up; bruises and scratches covered the exposed skin. His green eyes held heavy bags and his hair was dirty. His expression screamed of guilt and pain.
He walked over to her, his head held low. She couldn't look at him, and just continued to stare out of the window. He took a shaky breath.
“H-he wouldn't listen,” he whispered. “I even pointed my gun at him, but he still didn't listen….I couldn't hurt him…”
She heard his sobs begin as he started to shake. She turned towards him and reached out her arms, pulling him to her. He buried his face into her chest and tightly wrapped his arms around her waist. His sobs were loud and painful to listen to.
He was devastated. He had let down his wife, lost his son, and could have killed him. He didn't know what to do with himself.
“Arthur,” his wife whispered. She placed her head on top of his. “I knew it would be like this. He's too stubborn; like you.”
He raised his head and stood up, his wife in his arms. “I-I'm sorry,” he whispered through his tightened throat. He gently kissed her forehead and pulled her into a tight hug.
“He'll be okay Arthur,” she said softly as she held back her own tears. “He's a strong boy.”
“I know,” Arthur choked. “I just didn't want it to end like this.” She nodded into his shoulder.
He pulled away from her, wiping away a tear that had begun to run down her cheek. “What would I do without you, Elizabeth?”
“Go insane,” she murmured. “Go absolutely insane.”
He leaned in and kissed her. After the kiss, he held her tight again.
Indeed he would be insane without her.