Highlander - Series Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Immortal Love ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own them.
So far the poll wants both boys to be pre-immortal.
 
Chapter 3
 
Jess smiled as she watched Becky and Zach from across the street. She'd managed to hack the police records to find out what had been going on and was relieved that Zach had been released and all charges dropped. Unfortunately she'd missed Sam by a day but a `67 Impala had been seen heading east so she at least had a direction to travel in.
 
Watching her friends she wanted so much to walk over and say hi but she knew it was impossible. The best reaction she could hope for would be fainting on their side and Zach wasn't one to faint. But watching them hurt so much. With one last look she turned and melted into the crowd, never seeing brown eyes widen in shock.
 
----------------------------
“Sam!”
 
“Becky? What is it? Are you okay?” Dean looked over and Sam shrugged, not knowing why Becky had called or why she sounded so panicked.
 
“They let Zach go and we were out for the day. I felt someone watching us but couldn't spot anyone. Then there was this woman and I caught a glimpse as she walked away. Sam...I swear she looked identical to Jess.”
 
“That...that's impossible Becky. Jess is dead.” Sam choked on the words and Dean pulled over to the side of the highway, turning in his seat to stare at Sam.
 
“I know that, I also know what I saw!” Sam took a deep breath, knowing he needed to stay calm to calm Becky down.
 
“Did Zach see anything?”
 
“No, he was facing the other way and I haven't said anything. He'd think I was crazy!”
 
“It's okay Becky. Have you seen anything else? Walked through a cold spot or smelt ozone, anything?” Sam asked, thinking maybe Jess's ghost had appeared but then why so far from where she'd died?
 
“No, nothing like that. I just saw her the once and I know she was watching us before I saw her. She looked normal, healthy but her hair was shorter. And she seemed...so sad.”
 
“Doesn't sound like your being haunted but you should but a line of salt along the windows and doors just to be safe. It was probably just someone who looks like her but if you see or hear anything I want you to call me, alright?” Sam soothed and he could hear Becky finally calming down.
 
“Okay. I'm sorry Sam. It's just with everything that happened and now I see Jess?”
 
“Freaked you out, totally understandable little Becky.” Sam teased and she finally laughed.
 
“Should I tell Zach you said hi?”
 
“Yeah, look after yourself and try to keep him out of trouble.” They said goodbye but Sam didn't put his phone away.
 
“Sam?” Dean called hesitantly and Sam looked over at him, fighting tears.
 
“We need to go to Palo Alto, we should have salted....salted and burnt her from the start. She died a violent death at a demons hand, we should have taken precautions.” Sam choked out and Dean nodded.
 
“Okay, we can do that.” Dean answered, turning around to head west.
 
--------------------------------
Dean had insisted Sam keep watch as he dug up Jessica's grave. There was no way he could ask the kid to dig up his dead girlfriend; no one could be that cruel. He relaxed a little when he finally hit the coffin and tossed his shovel out. Sam handed him down a crowbar and Dean got to work forcing the lid open. He froze in shock as it sprang open easily only to stagger back.
 
“Dean?”
 
“It's...Sam there's nothing here.” Dean managed to choke out.
 
“What?” Sam's voice had risen hysterically but he didn't really care. Dean carefully reached into the coffin and pulled out a dried up rose, the one Sam had given the funeral parlour to put in the coffin since the remains had been pretty gruesome. He held it up for Sam to see and his little brother let out a chocked sob, taking the rose form him to clutch.
“How can she be gone? Did someone take her?” Sam's legs gave way and Dean scrambled out of the grave to grab Sam so he wouldn't fall in.
 
“I don't know Sammy, but we'll figure it out, okay?” Dean held Sam as his brother began to cry, knowing there was nothing else he could do for Sam at the moment.
 
-------------------------------
Someone dug up Jessica Moore's grave last night.
 
Jessia stared at the one line email in shock. It had been sent by a Watcher friend of Joe's since the bar owner had put out word he wanted an eye kept on the grave. Who would dig up the grave and why...her eyes went wide and she logged onto the site, searching through the satellite images until she zoomed in on Palo Alto for the time mentioned. Sure enough a black 1967 Chevy Impala was parked outside the graveyard. But why would Sam be digging up her grave?
 
She could head out there but she was half way to New York and there was no way Sam would hang around for long. But there was maybe a way to find him. She looked up the phone book and started calling around.
 
---------------------------
Both boys tensed as someone knocked on the door and Sam slowly walked over, hand on his gun.
 
“Who is it?” He called out.
 
“Got a delivery for a Sam Winchester.” Was the answer. Dean shrugged so Sam opened the door and signed the slip, accepting the package. He opened it carefully and then dropped it, backing away.
 
“Sam!” Dean leapt of his bed and was at his brother's side instantly. He peered down into the package to see a dozen white roses and what looked like the hat to a nurse's uniform.
 
“White roses were her favourites and she dressed as a nurse our last Halloween. Dean...do you think?”
 
“Sam you saw the fire, her injuries, no one could have survived that.” Dean told him as gently as he could. Just when he though Sam was starting to deal with Jess's death this had to happen. Dean bent down and found a card.
“Don't crash and burn?” He read out loud and Sam choked.
 
“That night, I asked what I'd do without her and she said crash and burn.” Sam told him and Dean felt rage flow through him, how dare someone do this to Sam!
 
“So someone overheard and is now screwing with you. Nice people around here.” Dean snorted and tossed the card down. It landed on its back to reveal more writing. Sam picked it up.
 
“It's an address in St. Cloud Minnesota.” Sam told Dean who shrugged.
 
“I say ignore it, the creep will give up eventually.” Sam nodded reluctantly and they got ready to leave.
 
---------------------------
Sam couldn't believe what he was doing. He'd told Dean he was going after Dad and heading for California when in reality he was going to Minnesota, St. Cloud to be exact. He didn't know if the address was still good or even what he would find but he had to do it. He had to know what had happened to Jess and this was his best clue. He felt bad for letting Dean take the case alone but Dean was the one who'd said Dad let him hunt solo.
 
He felt even worse when he found out Dean was going after a pagan god alone but the bus was almost in St. Cloud and it would take him too long to get back. All he could do was pray Dean could handle it alone. When the bus pulled in he grabbed his bags and headed inside the depot, hoping to get directions. Thankfully the matronly ticket lady was very helpful and he was soon on his way.
 
Twenty minutes later he was standing outside a modern apartment block and trying to decide what to do. Finally he walked over and buzzed the apartment number.
 
“Hello?” A female voice answered, barely audible through the static.
 
“My name's Sam Winchester, I...” He trailed off as the door buzzed open. He slipped inside and headed up the stairs, keeping an eye on the apartment numbers until he found number nine. He shakily reached out and knocked only to stumble back in shock as it opened.
“Jess...” He choked and she smiled at him, holding out a hand.
 
“Hello Sam.” He reached out and took her hand. Letting her pull him inside, his mind too frozen to do anything else.
 
TBC...