Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ The Invitational ❯ Organization ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
As you probably know, I don't own Hikaru no Go and appreciate the owners letting me play in their universe. I definitely don't make any money from this fic.
 
This is going to have about four or five short chapters, depending on how I divide it up. It is all written, but I want each scene to be in a separate chapter. I'll probably post one a day to give myself a little more time to proofread. Proofreading is like the old jello commercial, “there's always room for proofreading.” I can massage a chapter umpteen times, post it and go `oh, there's a typo' or `hmm, I should have tweaked that sentence.'
 
A couple of people wondered about continuing “A Heian Fairy Tale.” If I think up a good chapter on Akira's reaction or Ogata's reaction with Hikaru after “the fairy tale,” then I'll write it up, but right now I am inclined to let it stand on its own. Basically it's complete unless something pops into my brain and wants to come out. I have a bunch of other Hikaru fic plots in the process that seem to want to come out first. This is the first of those.
 
Somewhere in the manga there is a page or two showing Waya setting out a tournament list. This is an expansion on what happens next.
 
Please read and review.
 
------------------------------------------
 
 
“Hey, pay attention. I've made up the list for the round robin. This is very important.” Waya's small apartment seemed cramped with eight people in it and he raised his voice to be heard over the different conversations taking place.
 
“Yes, yes, oh great organizational leader. We hear and obey,” Isumi said with exaggerated bows. Waya scowled at him and humphed.
 
“I want to know if there's a prize,” said Shindou with a grin.
 
“A prize? The prize is the educational experience we're getting by creating an informal tournament,” said Waya.
 
“To say nothing of bragging rights,” added Fukui. He was just happy that Nakayama didn't want to do it and Waya had asked him if he wanted to take the last spot. He was the only one still an Insei in the group.
 
“Boo, hiss. I want a prize,” said Saeki. `Prize, prize, prize,” chanted Isumi, Shindou and Kadowaki.
 
“Why bother? Don't you think it will just go to Shindou? With him participating we don't have much chance,” Hondo said with a grimace.
 
“That's not true,” said Ochi. “I fully intend to be the winner of this tournament. I would not waste my time otherwise.” His trademark scowl was well in place and he glared at both Hondo and Shindou.
 
Saeki gave Ochi a perplexed look. He was an easy going man who got along with virtually everyone but he wondered sometimes why Waya, Isumi and Shindou put up with such an unpleasant associate. Ochi was always angry, obsessed or depressed. He was good at Go but aside from that he was unpleasant, immature and spoiled.
 
“As it happens, I have a prize in mind,” said Waya. “It is in this sealed envelope.”
 
“Sealed? What is it?”
 
“It's a secret. That's why it's sealed.”
 
“Well, you couldn't fit a cup in that envelope,” Shindou observed.
 
“Of course not,” said Waya. Do you think I have tons of money to spend on a cup? I pay my rent and food here. You still live at home. I vote for Shindou to buy a cup for us.”
 
“Here. Here.” Several people spoke up at once.
 
“Hey, why me?”
 
“Oh, I don't know. Let's see. You are making good money from the title series. You live at home and your mother still does all the cooking and cleaning for you. She probably even buys your clothes. You can afford to buy a cup for us.” Waya observed.
 
“What about Ochi? His grandfather's got plenty of money.” Everyone looked at Ochi who just stared back coldly.
 
“No, I've got better chances of chewing on you to cough up the money. I know when to say “I have nothing.” Waya said. Everyone laughed but Ochi, who just grimaced. “Don't worry about it. We'll just go with what I've got in the envelope.”
 
“What's the name of the tournament?”
 
“Name? I don't know. It's just a round robin tournament,” said Waya.
 
“Any tournament has to have a name. That gives it credibility,” Kadowaki said.
 
“We could call it after you, Waya.”
 
Waya wrinkled his nose. “I don't know; sounds kind of narcissistic to me. That would be a little weird Saeki.”
 
“We could call it the Pro/Am tourney since we have both professionals and insei in it,” Shindou said.
 
“Shindou, I could not have come up with a worse, more boring name if I worked on it for a week,” Kadowaki observed.
 
“Gee, Thanks. Then you come up with something.” Shindou crossed his arms and glared.
 
“SAI!” Waya suddenly shouted.
 
“Huh?” “What?”
 
“No. Sai. That's what we should call it. The Sai Tournament. He was an amateur who was better than any of the pros,” Waya said. Everyone paused and thought that one over.
 
“I like it,” Isumi said.
 
“How about the Sai Invitational? After all, you did invite us to participate,” Fukui added.
 
“Ooh, good call. O.K. I hereby dub this tournament the Sai Invitational, named after the mystery internet player Sai who encouraged us all with the kifu he left to improve the strength of our Go.”
 
“Waya, that's a great idea. I had no idea you could think so profoundly.” Fukui said. Waya just smacked him.
 
Shindou didn't say anything. He was moved to near tears at the idea Sai was still remembered by so many people that Waya would want to name this little practice tournament after him. Even though it was informal and totally unofficial, Shindou just glowed inside with satisfaction. `Sai,' he thought to himself. `You made a mark on this world far beyond the way you changed my life. I will not lose this tournament named in your honor.'