Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ The Invitational ❯ The Best Revenge ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
As you probably know, I don't own Hikaru no Go and appreciate the owners letting me play in their universe. I definitely don't make any money from this fic.
 
--
 
--
 
 
18 Years Later:
--
Monthly Go, Volume 41; issue 18; page 23
--
 
In the picture above, Waya Kisei, founder of the Sai Invitational cup for young Insei and Professionals, awards the 20th annual cup of this coveted title to Touya Miyuki Shodan. She had been favored to win ever since passing the pro exam earlier this year. She defeated the reigning title holder Takahashi 3-dan to claim the title. Since this tournament is now in its 20th year Monthly Go will do a short recap of its history.
 
The Sai Invitational is open to all Insei and Professionals of a level 3-dan or below who have been professionals for less than five years. It was begun 20 years ago as an informal unsanctioned round robin tournament study aid by Waya Kisei, who was Waya 2-dan at the time of the tournament's inception. The founding participants were Waya Kisei, Isumi Sensei, Honda Sensei, Shindou Honinbou Meijin, Saeki Sensei, Kadowaki Sensei, Ochi Sensei and Fukui san, a reporter with NHK TV and regular contributor to both Monthly and Weekly Go. At that time the format featured a round robin series of games between all 8 entrants with the title match played by the top two finishers. The title match consisted of a best of 3 series of standard 90 minute games.
 
Sixteen individuals from all over Japan are now invited to participate in the tournament each year. The preliminary consists of a double elimination series to create a final group of 8. The 16 play 8 games. The 8 winners then play each other and those with two wins enter the tournament. The 8 losers play and those with 2 losses are eliminated from the tournament. The remaining 8 with one loss each then play and the four winners from those games enter the finals.
 
 
The final group of 8 then participate in a round robin and the top finisher of that series plays against the title holder, if any. Waya Kisei has told Monthly Go in the past the purpose of this tournament is to encourage high level Insei and new Professionals, so there is an unusual constraint. The title holder may only hold it for two years. In the third year the title holder retires undefeated and is ineligible to defend the title. In those situations, the top two finishers of the 8 person round robin then play a series of a best of three matches for the title. This rule also applies if the title holder is otherwise ineligible for the title by reaching the status of 4-dan or 5 years as a professional during the year.
 
Shindou Honinbou was the winner of the first tournament. In the tournament's second year, Kosemura-san, a Weekly Go reporter at the time and the late Kuwabara Sensei learned about the tournament prior to the finals. Kuwabara Sensei arranged for the finals to be held at the Go Institute. Shindou Honinbou won it for the second straight year. He then retired undefeated and did not defend the title in the third year. It was not officially sanctioned by the Japan Go Institute until its fourth year. It is now a hotly contested and much coveted title currently sponsored by Toyota. The finals are always popular and watched closely round the world on the internet by thousands.
 
The Sai Invitational Cup took its name from Sai, the now legendary player who only played on the internet. Sai won against everyone he/she ever played, including the historical match between Sai and Touya Kouyo which is still analyzed today. Waya Kisei has stated in the past the tournament was named after the mysterious player since Sai taught people through the kifu of the games he left. He was considered to be an inspiration to all Go players by encouraging them to continue learning and by showing them the heights which could be reached through the game of Go.
 
After the awards ceremony Waya Kisei, Takahashi 3-dan and all 8 of the round robin participants went out for the traditional post ceremony sushi dinner paid for courtesy of the newly crowned Touya Sai. The tradition of the winner paying for sushi for all the finalists dates back to the first tournament.
 
Touya Akira watched with quiet pride as his daughter accepted the cup. He then watched as the participants dissolved from a group of staunch new pros and insei respectfully attentive to the ceremony into a group of somewhat noisy young people. Miyuki was surrounded by her fellow professionals and insei. There were smiles and some teasing and grumbling; there were promises she'd only keep it one year. One of the older of the young people rubbed her hair and told her he would eat his weight in sushi. The young man just laughed when she responded by smacking him lightly on the shoulder. Akira watched them collect themselves and head out the door to eat. His daughter had her first title. More importantly, his daughter had friends. Life was good.
 
 
 
~ -
 
 
Owari