Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ The Taste of Smoke ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: The Taste of Smoke

Author: Kameko-chan

Pairings: Kaga/Tsutsui

Notes: Oneshot. Just… don't ask. Oh, and smoking is bad.

 

------------------

 

Sometimes, Tsutsui attempted to talk Kaga into quitting smoking, or at least cutting back so he didn't so much resemble a chimney. "Those things will kill you one day!" he'd exclaim on these occasions, waving his arms around like a loony as his glasses slipped down the bridge of his nose like always. "Then what would I do? I'd have to live with knowing that I didn't stop you from pursuing this stupid habit!"

 

"You'd find someone else to lecture to about the evils of smoking, that's what you'd do!" was Kaga's standard reply, usually followed by an angry puff of smoke to Tsutsui's face. "I like it, and I'm not going to quit just because I might get cancer when I'm 80!"

 

"You're so stubborn!" the bespectacled boy would reply, exasperated, "I ask you to do one little thing to keep you from dying, but will you do it? Nooooo..."

 

And the argument usually continued in this manner, sometimes for hours, until something interrupted them. This was, most of the time, quite unusual behavior on Tsutsui's part at least, but each took great pleasure in becoming particularly energetic (i.e. violent) over this particular matter, and so everyday rules did not apply. One day, however, things ended quite differently from what had become normal.

 

They'd just gotten to the point where each of them was tied out after screaming at each other at the top of their lungs, and they had reverted to rational debate until they had the energy to start yelling again. This was when the rational points on both sides were usually made, not that it mattered much as Kaga had no intention of quitting no matter how good a case his friend made. This time, however, things went something like this:

 

"You think you're so cool, smoking those stupid things all the time, don't you?"

 

Kaga scowled. "That has nothing to do with it."

 

"It doesn't make you cool, Kaga." Tsutsui imitated his friend's scowl and leaned across the kitchen table, putting their faces mere inches apart. "All it does is make you smell bad!"

 

"Oh yeah?"

 

"Yeah!" Debating this always put Tsutsui in a weird mood, so he smiled rather goofily at Kaga as he continued. "And I bet if you kissed someone, your horrible smoker's breath would make them gag." He wasn't quite sure where that particular argument had come from (maybe one of those anti-smoking commercials on TV) but the point seemed valid enough and so he stuck with it. "Maybe that's why you can't get a girlfriend."

 

"Well," Kaga narrowed his eyes, intimidating, but the energy behind his voice faltered a little, "maybe I don't want a girlfriend."

 

The fight drained out of Tsutsui as well as the conversation abruptly took a turn into unfamiliar territory. "You don't?"

 

"No," was the simple reply, and then Kaga leaned forward and kissed the neurotic teen across from him. It was a rather unromantic prelude to a first kiss, to be certain, but it was somehow fitting. It tasted like the cigarettes Tsutsui had spent the last hour lobbying against, but he didn't gag at the flavor as he'd hypothesized only minutes before. Actually, mingled with the unique taste that was Kaga, Tsutsui found it rather pleasant. Enjoyable, really, and not at all how he'd imagined it the few times he'd let himself consider the scenario.

 

Kaga pulled away, and Tsutsui smiled at him. "Maybe smoking's not as bad as I thought," he said simply, and Kaga decided that that was as close to a confession of reciprocated feelings as he was going to get anytime soon. He then spent the next hour getting Tsutsui addicted to the taste of smoke on his lips, and all was well. Tsutsui never lectured about the evils of smoking again.

 

END

 

 

This fic has been brought to you by Completely Random Get-together Scenarios Inc.