Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ Yume ❯ Call in Sick ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: I got a review! Sure, it's only one, but maybe another will come my way… I hope…

Warnings and disclaimers: If you wanna put yourself through that again, go to chapter 1.

………………………& #8230;………………………… ;…………………………R 30;……………

Chapter 2: Call in Sick

Akira looked around the Go Institute. Hikaru still wasn't there. He had wanted to try and ask the other boy about yesterday, but now the last stragglers were entering the playing room. Where could he be?

One boy with messy brown hair and baggy jeans walked by him with some others-Akira recognized him as one of Hikaru's friends. He wracked his brain to think of the name.

"Waya-san!" he called out, remembering.

Waya turned, his expression souring as soon as he saw who had called him. "What do you want, Touya?"

Akira didn't let Waya's hostile tone faze him, and just continued his cool gaze. "Where is Shindo?"

Waya raised an eyebrow. "Don't know why you'd care, but he called in sick today." He then turned on his heels and entered the room.

Akira was shocked at this news. Sick? He had been perfectly fine the night before. Could it have something to do with yesterday?

An unusual emotion began to bubble in the pit of Akira's stomach-guilt. It seemed Hikaru really did have a problem, something he couldn't talk to Akira about-and he had kept yelling at him.

He shook the thoughts from his head as he entered the game room. He couldn't have thoughts like that clouding his mind while he played his game. He was worried, but he would never let emotions like that effect his playing.

………………………& #8230;………………………… ;…………………………R 30;……………

"Hikaru, where are you going?"

"Just to the store!" he called to his mother as he went out the door. "I'll be back soon!"

He ran outside, closing the door before she could ask him something else. Once on the road he stuck his hands in his pockets, hunching his shoulders. He knew he shouldn't have skipped his game today, but he felt so depressed, he knew he probably would have lost anyways. Besides, he knew Akira would be there, and he just didn't want to see him. He wasn't angry at the other boy, but he felt bad. He had spoken harsher than he'd meant to-after all, it wasn't Akira's fault he'd had dreams.

Of course, he wasn't about to apologize to Akira. Never to him.

He reached the bookstore and went to the back, where they kept the manga. He spent the next hour or so browsing the shelves, flipping through the pages. Then he felt a tap on his shoulder.

"Shindo."

Hikaru turned around, finding Akira's face inches from his own. "Wah!" He jumped, dropping the book he was holding and gaining himself several glares from the people around him. "Holy crap!" he cried, clutching his chest. "Damn it, Touya! What the hell?"

"So I was right about you not finding your manga yesterday?"

Hikaru was getting ready to yell again, when he saw the small smile cross Akira's face. "So what do you want?" he asked, bending to pick up his book.

"I was told you were sick, but," he looked Hikaru up and down, "it looks like that was a mistake."

"Oh, right, that." Hikaru scratched the back of his head. "I guess I kinda lied."

"Is it about yesterday?"

"Huh? Oh, you mean our fight?" Hikaru shook his head. "No, of course not."

"Oh. It's just that you seemed more…angry than usual."

"Right," Hikaru said, examining the book-he'd bent the cover when he dropped it, so he figured he'd just buy it. "I'm just a little stressed right now; I needed a break." He turned as he began to walk away.

"Shindo."

Hikaru turned quickly around, and almost cried out again. Akira's face was barely inches from his own-how did he get so close?!-and he could feel the other boy's warm breath on his face. "What's wrong?" Akira asked.

Hikaru shook his head slightly and stepped back, getting rid of that weird lump in his throat. "It's…something personal," he replied as he walked around to the front of the store. "I don't really want to talk about it." He placed the book on the checkout counter.

"Oh. I see," Akira said quietly.

The tone of his voice shocked Hikaru-why did he sound so sad? But he just brushed it off, paying the cashier and taking his bag.

"Well, I'm off home," Hikaru said, beginning to walk.

"Shindo," Akira called, causing the black and blonde haired boy to turn around. "Will you be at the salon tonight?"

"Ah, no. Ka-san invited grandpa for dinner, so I gotta stay. Maybe later this week, though. See ya." He waved and ran off.

Akira watched him run for a minute, relief bubbling in him-it wasn't his fault! But there was also a sadness. What could there be that Hikaru wouldn't tell him? He wasn't sure, and not knowing hurt.

………………………& #8230;………………………… ;…………………………R 30;……………

AN: And there ya go. I kinda like how this chapter turned out. I just hope the rest fall in place though…

Please review! I'll be more motivated that way! Even bad ones, cuz then I can fix stuff!