Horror Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Reality ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: This all belongs to me. Feels a tad strange saying this.

Author's Note: This was an original short story I wrote a couple of years ago for my writing portfolio. After dusting it off and changing some of the bits, I decided it was suitable for public viewing. This is also in third person omniscient, which is a narration I haven't used for a while.

Reality

The nurse passed through stark corridors with bolted rooms at each turn, pushing a trolley situated with utensils, syringes and pills. She walked at a slow pace, glancing inward into barred windows every so often.

“Hey, Kim.â€

Kim jerked towards the direction of the voice. Then her surprised expression turned into a friendly smile.

“You startled me,†she said as relieved laughter escaped from her lips.

“Sorry.†An impish grin appeared fleetingly, before he turned unusually serious. “Look, don't let this place get to you, ok? Those people in there,†he gestured at the doors, “they hardly know what's going on. While you and me may think it's horrible being here, they don't…â€

“I know, I know,†Kim sighed. She smiled sadly and shook her head. “It's just that…wouldn't you want to…†An awkward pause followed as a sad silence came between them.

“Well, I've got to go,†Derek said finally. “You know Grayson, if his pills doesn't get here on time he'd go nuts,†his lips quirked lightly. Kim simply rolled her eyes fondly before telling him goodbye.

As soon as he turned around the corner, Kim made her way towards her intended room. Room 211. She fumbled for the keys around her waist, and then unlocked the door. Inside, a woman in her mid thirties huddled in one corner, slowly rocking back and forth. The disquieting white gown, which clothed the prone petite form, matched the dreary sterile walls of the room. Her face, all cheekbones and large blue eyes, was nearly as pale as her surroundings, but unfortunately, had none of its strong gleam. A haggard and skinny body lay dormant as Kim bustled about, assuredly cleaning up the messes.

“Mrs Finch, it's time for bed now,†Kim spoke from just a few feet away. “You need your rest, Mrs Finch.†Underneath dull brown hair, incoherent and garbled words were muttered.

"Of course, Mrs Finch," Kim said casually. Her steps came closer and closer to the hunched figure.

After carefully helping her up, and prompting her towards her bed, Kim s gently pulled the covers and proceeded to tuck her in. A hand grabbed her wrist urgently.

“My children...†Mrs Finch whispered, eyes shining with need. “Where are my children...?â€

Kim firmly removed the hand from her wrist and soothed the agitated woman. “Your children are just fine, Mrs Finch,†she lied. “They're just fine,†she repeated. A freed hand petted Mrs Finch as another reached for a capped syringe. The prickle of needle point to flesh went unnoticed.

Once strained muscles relaxed, sleep came easily. Kim silently smoothed the rumpled cover, tucking in the corners tightly. Mrs Finch stirred wordlessly from her induced slumber.

*-*-*

The dreams always came, Catherine Finch found. The haunted her, destroying what fragile peace she had left, and taunted her, using images of her bleeding, pleading children.

A single slash of a knife --

Her hands bled, but it wasn't her blood.