Horror Fan Fiction ❯ Chimera ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I looked to the sky, dark with the threat of rain, and sighed.
Night was coming, the light of the day already falling with the sun. I would have preferred to be home before twilight, but it looked like I would be stuck out here until night had truly fallen.
 
I looked around me. The town was shutting up, closing doors and windows, bolting them into place. The hills reached towards the sun, as if trying to pull light from the few remaining rays, futilely trying to gather some sort of protection from the coming darkness. The buildings fell into depression, gloomy. They would have to endure this daunting night alone.
 
As night hit, there was a hush among the town. Creaking doors were silent, the contracting wood frames hushed, all animals laying still and quiet.
Then it came; the only sound to puncture the still night air: a bloodcurdling scream, rising in volume, as the sound got closer.
 
I quickened my pace, trying to find some sort of shelter before the beast got here.
 
It was originally, a legend. Nothing more, nothing less. No one knew if it was someone playing a poor joke, inducing fear in people's very superstitious minds, or if it was the real thing.
A very real thing.
 
It had begun when the town had been built. People claimed to hear strange noises, like many people screaming in the worst anguish possible, worse than five hundred-odd fingernails down a chalkboard in unison. They claimed to see glowing blue eyes, far more intense than was possible. That was the only thing the inhabitants agreed on. Every thing else was controversial. Some said that the form of the beast was half-human, half-animal. Some said that it was a bloodthirsty werewolf, trying to get its revenge on the town. They even had a name for the beast, Chimera.
Most agreed that this `thing' was a curse, deliberately placed upon the inhabitants and the town.
That was over 300 years ago.
 
The inhumane scream was closer now, rising and falling in pitch as its owner bounded through the forest.
The people hiding behind locked doors felt chills of fear go up their spines. Tonight was worse than usual. Normally that howl was heard miles away. Tonight it was only behind the tree line.
 
As mothers consoled their children and fathers gripped rifles with sweaty hands, a shape appeared on the road, the full moon illuminating a dark, canine shape.
The men aimed their guns at it, trembling with fear and anticipation. Maybe tonight would be the night they got rid of the beast; maybe one chosen person would be the savior of the town.
 
I looked up at the sky, my gaze lingering on the full moon, then out towards the trees. In the space of a glance, two eyes glared at me before turning away. I felt my heart quicken as I glanced at those unusual blue orbs. I felt myself drowning in them; I was unable to pull my gaze away. The chimera blinked and I was released from its hold. I turned away, frightened to death. I started to walk, and then I quickened my pace, almost running, but not quite. I felt that I was being evaluated; I did not want to show my fear by running.
 
Desperately looking for shelter, for somewhere to hide until it was gone, I examined the bolted and shuttered houses. No hope here.
I heard a loud panting, coming from behind me. It was dark, the moon covered by a cloud. I did not turn around. I am a coward when it comes to death. I would prefer to live.
I stood there for god-only-knows-how-long, scared out of my wits and then suddenly remembered the old church. It was run down, yet still it managed to retain its beauty. Tall spiked spires ran up into the night, cutting their way through. Carvings of dead monks, so lifelike, were placed above the shattered window. As I made my way closer, I looked closely at the window. The window just by itself was a wonder. Easily the most beautiful thing there, even half shattered. Made from leadlight, it depicted a man overlooking a canyon with his dog.
 
A harder look showed the man and his dog had the same blue eyes.