Hunter X Hunter Fan Fiction ❯ Survivors ❯ Introduction ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
SURVIVORS

A Hunter x Hunter Fanfiction

ZyraEmina

© Yoshihiro Togashi



Introduction

RED-EYED monster --- that's how the world identify a member of the Kurta Clan. Though they have other names for the clan, this was the most commonly used. Possessing unique eyes whose iris turns to crimson whenever they feel emotional (usually strong emotions such as anger) not to mention the strength that comes with the changing of the eye color, they were often mistaken as agents of the devil. For hundreds of years the clan hid and dwell deep within the forest, cut off from the outside world and moving periodically in fear of the discrimination and prejudice people from the outside world feel towards them. These ill feelings that the people harbor usually leads to the Kurta Clan being hunted for their eyes.

To protect the clan, a rule was established by the clan elders that nobody is allowed to go to the outside world unless one is already an adult and passes the qualification exams. Whoever breaks this rule will suffer from severe punishment, not only the rule breaker but also his or her family. Being a law-abiding clan whose obedience fueled by their desire to live peacefully, the Kurta Clan managed to survive their cruel fate and the secret of their eyes were only known amongst themselves.

As time goes by the people began to forget about them. Those who have heard about them believed that they only exist among legends and convince themselves that there is no way a clan having unique eye characteristic could possibly exist. There were also people who have learned the truth of their survival though they only learn about it because they were married into the clan and promised that they will keep the clan's secret safe and live with them in the forest. Thus the Kurta Clan lived their lives in peace, confident that they're safe as long as the people living outside their sanctuary remain oblivious of their existence.

That was what they thought until the news about the massacre of the Kurta Clan spread all around the world. The news was reported like this:

The discovery was made by a female traveler who got lost in the woods. All 128 villagers had been killed. Family members had been forced to sit facing each other and they had been stabbed, but were still alive before being beheaded.

The pureblood members of the Kurta Clan all had their eyes gauged out. Those from the outside who married into the clan kept their eyes, but their bodies showed considerably more injury (the adult men had many injuries as well, but this was surely evidence of resisting the enemy before being captured).

From this, it is hypothesized that the culprits first attacked the clansmen from the outside to agitate the pureblood Kurta clansmen, whose eyes would turn red from grief and anger. They were then beheaded, one by one.

It is said that the Kurta's scarlet eyes that arises from anger are the most brilliant shade of red, and command quite a price on the black market.

There were many merciless wounds on the bodies of the children as well, and it is thought that the culprits did this to incite the eyes of their parents to turn a more brilliant shade of red.

Near the bodies of the massacred, a message believed to be from the culprits was found.

"We reject no one. So take nothing from us."