Hunter X Hunter Fan Fiction ❯ The Hunter ❯ Issue #1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
===============================================================

THE HUNTER

Vol. 1


============================================================ ===

Editor's Note

Welcome to the first issue of The Hunter, the official newsletter of the members and wanna-be members of the Hunter Association (applicants to triple status hunters alike). I am your editor, Menchi, the beautiful, young and deadly double star Gourmet Huntress. Chairman Netero asked me to write this paper to keep everyone up-to-date on on-goings with relation to us hunters, that are, of course, practically everything! I personally think that Mr. Satotsu is fitter than I am to do this job but, unfortunately, he is currently waiting in the basement of some run of the mill restaurant for this year's hunter applicants. In addition, writing this paper is supposed to keep me busy and therefore not hunt down all the animals in the forest with which I have the intentions to experiment. They are there as traps for the applicants on their way to here, the venue of the second exam. However, you would have to agree with me that it would be highly interesting to come up with a cuisine the ingredients of which include that monkey-like creature that looks extremely like Mr. Satotsu…

-Menchi, Double Star Gourmet Huntress

===============================================================

News Articles

Item #1: HUNTER EXAMINATION BEGINS

This year's Hunter Exams have finally begun. Estimated number of applicants is around a hundred thousand while number of anticipated successful applicants who would be joining our ranks as new hunters is less than five. Chairman Netero maintains a good outlook towards this year's results. As we all know, however, he does so annually. The committee expects the preliminary tests to cut down the number considerably, small enough for Mr. Satotsu, examiner for the first exam, to handle effortlessly. We would disclose further details on the Hunter Exams in later issues.


Item #2: MASTER OF NEN FOUND WITH GAMBLERS

Saturday night found Master Wing, one of our well-known masters of Nen, amidst the presence of gamblers and other such sorts of unpleasant company. Later queries reveal that patrons call the place the Celestial Tower and, apparently, it houses quite some excellent fighters. Master Wing, however, told us that he lives outside the tower in a small apartment with his student, Zuchi. When asked, he assured that he does not fight in the Tower but does allow his apprentice to do so. While this shocked us mildly, Master Wing further explained that it is all for training his Nen.

There would be questionings in the near future. The committee declares that we cannot have unregistered Nen-users fighting at gamble halls and picking on people weaker than they are to be able to stay a bit longer in the luxurious suites near the topmost floor.


Item #3: FISHERBOY RECEIVES HUNTER EXAMS AT HOME

Whale Island - Mito gave her nephew, 12 yr. old Gon Freecs, an ultimatum. Within a week, he must catch a certain fish or she will not allow him to join the Hunter Exams for this year. According to the young bartender, if he does not manage this small task then he does not have what it takes to be a Hunter. Although how hard can it be to catch a fish? As gathered from patrons of the bar and townspeople, however, this certain fish is no ordinary fish but a gigantic bass that no man in their town has ever managed to catch. Nevertheless, by some sort of miracle or outside help, little Gon managed to catch said fish, somehow managed to haul it up to the town square, astounded everyone at its sight, acquired his credentials to enter the exams, and promptly returned the fish to its habitat. The fish remained alive after being out of water for god knows how long.

The Association already started an investigation on whether or not Mito holds such potentially dangerous, unauthorized 'preliminary' exams on a regular basis. It remains unclear if Gon aspires to be a gourmet hunter. When asked, he only answered that he wants to find his father. Meanwhile, people from all over the world are coming to Whale Island to try catch the now famous bass.


Item #4: NEW SPECIES DISCOVERED

About a week to this day, a Japanese hunter caught a heavily wounded fox while walking about in a forest on the outskirts of Tokyo City. What was so interesting about this fox, however, is that it had silver hair and multiple numbers of tails. Intrigued and concerned for the creature's welfare, the hunter brought it to the nearest lab that he could find where it was treated. After much deliberation, the hunter agreed to leave it there to be studied. Before any tests could be done, however, the creature was stolen a couple of nights ago. The surveillance cameras only showed a black figure, like a shadow, coming close to the cage. The shadow was heard muttering 'baka kitsune' or stupid fox before releasing the specimen. Both then disappeared with no trace. It is believed that the shadow was no mere human and therefore not one, but two new species have now been newly discovered. The 'fox' and 'shadow' are now currently being tracked down.


Item #5: BUSINESSMAN ASSASSINATED

A man was killed in cold blood on his journey home from an overseas business trip. Witnesses testify to having seen a young woman with long black hair and blank, bottomless black eyes. However, they have been released from the Witness Protection Program as the suspect had already been identified as Illumi Zaoldyeck, first male child of the infamous Zaoldyeck family. The assassin family's calling card left on the departed executive's pillow attests to this.

When interviewed, the late businessman's daughter, Anita, was indignant. "My father was a good man. He never had any enemies and everyone was always smiling around him!" It was reported earlier this year that Anita is missing.


Item #6: MYSTERIOUS MAGICIAN THIEF

There had been several reports of a traveling bogus magician stealing from people. Apparently, this person's modus operandi is to do a 'trick' in public and ask his audience for valuable things, saying he would be able to hide them with his 'magical' blanket no matter how large the things may be. Once everything has been laid on the table, the thief places a red-colored cloth over everything and, somehow, when he gathers the cloth again, everything seems to have disappeared. While the audience ponders over how he managed the 'trick', he would pocket the previously mentioned cloth and leave.

Oddly, the police refuse to hunt down this man and bring him to justice. They go by the alibi that the description 'man with sunglasses and red blanket' is not enough for them to go by with in a search. However, rumors have it that the police have been paid and that the suspect is one of the ten 'Injus' of the Mafia Community. Investigations made by the police prove the rumors false.

===============================================================

Hunter Journal

Here you would learn part of the many travels of known and unknown fellow hunters. Perhaps you would learn something from what they have gone through…or not. Regardless, we welcome you to the Hunter Journal. THE HUNTER is proud to present the first entry done by no less than the legendary hunter himself, Jing Freecs.

The Music Box by Jing Freecs


This account is entitled The Music Box because, well, it all started with an ancient music box I found inside the ruins situated in a remote area of the world. The exact location I would not state here because that place is but a shadow of its former self and, as a hunter, I have every intention to restore it to its former glory. At any rate, so it was there in that place I wish not to name that I found this particular music box.

At first sight, there was nothing special about this music box. To tell the truth it did not even look like a music box. It just caught my eye because nothing else did in the empty room I found myself in one afternoon. It was just a simple box lying out there in the middle as if waiting to be found. Nothing extraordinary, merely an unadorned golden box one could easily buy in any crappy pawnshop a corner from their house. However, it was completely covered in pink dust. What else could that mean but ancient magic? I could practically see the words 'mysterious and mystical' written all over it as I picked the box up.

I blew all the dust off and cursed as some got into my eyes. Then I lifted the cover. That was when it all started. Sweet music came from the box and, involuntarily, I fell asleep.

When I woke up, I was in a completely different place. I was in a room still, but obviously nowhere within the ruins. It looked like the bedroom of an incredibly organized teen-ager. Now then, I felt that I had no right to be in that room. As well as there was that uneasy feeling at the pit of my stomach, as if someone was watching…

The only way out seemed to be either a door or a window. By the looks of it outside, I could say that I was in the second floor. If I went through the door, I would probably only find other rooms down a hallway that would lead to a staircase. If I went through the window, I would be out of there in no time. I approached the window and found it unlocked. I opened it and was preparing to jump to the tree that stood next to the house when-

"Where do you think you're going, Yusuke?"

I blinked and looked around for the source of the question. The room was still empty and the door closed. Perhaps it was just my imagination. As I turned around back to the window, however, I saw the figure in black that stood on one of the branches. I was slightly awed. He looked no older than sixteen yrs. old but balanced himself on the tree branch at an impossible degree.

Who was Yusuke? When he didn't get any response out of me, he glared and jumped from the tree right into the house effortlessly. Whoa! Who was this kid?

"Excuse me, but who are you?" I asked.

"Hn."

"That means 'What the hell are you talking about, Urameshi?'."

I whirled around and met the eyes of a charming young woman. If the room was hers, then that explained why it was so neat. She was tall, taller than her friend was, and had long red hair and green eyes. Like the other, she looked no older than sixteen yrs. old.

"I've never seen you in clothes like that before, Yusuke," she said as she handed a bowl of ice cream to her companion. Was she talking to me? Whoever this Yusuke was, they had both clearly confused me with him. "They look good on you although you seem a bit older than you should."

"Miss-"

"Miss?" she echoed and her head snapped up.

"I'm not Yusuke."

"And I'm not a Miss," she stopped, and then blinked, my words obviously finally sinking. She approached me and took of my cap, then gasped as she took a step back. "Who are you?"

I was about to answer but a slight tapping on the window behind me cut me off. A smile broke on the redhead's face as she, I mean, he…if you looked at him closely enough, he is male, excuse my mistake, it was an honest one, I assure you…walked past me and opened it for the newcomer. I turned around again and, well, ogled. There was this young woman, definitely female, outside, who had light blue hair and wore a Japanese pink kimono. What was so unusual about her, however, was that she rode a flying oar. Apparently, my companions knew her as neither showed any sign of shock.

"Botan, come in," said the redhead and the blue-haired girl, now named Botan, flew right in. She dropped to the floor and held her oar vertically, and then it disappeared. Her eyes bore on mine and a grin of delight broke on her face.

"Kurama, you found him!" she exclaimed. I would take it the redhead was Kurama and when I looked back at him he looked as puzzled as I was as the girl, Botan, began to circle around me, size me up and nod her head periodically. Well, one could only take so much.

"Excuse me but where am I, what am I doing here, and who are you people?" I asked as I subtly backed away from them. Not one of them looked dangerous, save perhaps the black-clothed one but he was currently busy with his ice cream, but I was more than ready to defend myself if they did anything suspicious. A hunter could never be careful enough after all.

Botan smiled, nodded her head again approvingly, and pulled out a small notebook from her kimono. Kurama watched curiously but then eased down on his desk chair and pulled out some napkins from a tissue box on his table, which he handed to the other teen who had managed to make a mess with himself and the ice cream in the matter of seconds I wasn't looking. It turned my attention back to Botan. She flipped through the notebook for a few moments, then sighed and hid it again with a shake of her blue head.

"You are in Kurama's bedroom, that's him," she said and pointed at Kurama, the redhead, "That's Hiei (kid in black) and I'm Botan, a grim reaper. I'm not sure what you're doing here but-"

"You're a what?" I asked.

"A grim reaper, messenger of death, (tour)guide of the souls of the departed into the Spirit World or Reikai, assistant to the Spirtworld Detectives or Reikai Tantei, and much more," she answered with a quizzical look, "Haven't you heard of us before? What year did you come from anyway?"

"No, I've heard about you, at least, in legends and such. I just didn't expect to meet one while I'm still alive," I replied and told her the current year.

"But that's three years from now!" Kurama exclaimed from behind me and I jumped because I had completely forgotten about the other two since they were so quiet and all. Botan smiled at him happily.

"Yes. Jing Freecs is a hunter from the future who discovered something that enabled him to travel to our time," she replied too cheerfully for a grim reaper as she faced me again, and then a curious light came to her eyes. She tilted her head to one side and placed an index finger below her chin. "Although you look quite a lot like Yusuke…"

"I'm not him. Who's this Yusuke anyway?" I asked though I really don't think I cared at that time.

"He's the guy you saved from doing his next assignment since Kurama already found you," she replied and then pulled something out of her kimono again. Was that the music box? "I think you know what this is," she said and handed it to me.

"How did you come by this?"

She shrugged. "Koenma just sent me to deliver it to you. I think you know what you have to do but let me warn you: you might not necessarily get back to your present this time."

"What do you mean?"

She fidgeted around a bit and then answered, "The same thing that happened the last time will happen again…or not. Our best bet is that you won't return to your present but get sent farther back into the past, or further into the future. You'll likely be separated with the box again and you'll have to search for it in the world you end up in to be able to use it and continue…Don't worry, Jing-san, you're bound to wind up in your time sooner or later."

This cannot be happening to me. I'm a hunter, but even I must admit this is far too strange to be reality.

"Here," she said, thrusting the box towards me.

To be continued...
===============================================================

Public Profiles

This is the section where we profile people you are likely (or unlikely, depending on who you are) to encounter. Please be reminded that out here in the middle of the wilderness where we are for the time being there is limited access to the network so the following information may not be entirely accurate. We at THE HUNTER hope that this section comes in handy at some point in your travels.

KURORO RUCILFUL, Leader of the Genei Ryodan
Age: 26
Sex: Male
Hair color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Weapon: A book called Skill Hunter
Appearance: He wears a black overcoat with white feathery collar and cuffs, black boots and pants. He has a cross-shaped tattoo on his forehead but bandages sometimes hide this. He also has weird blue orb-like earrings.
Temperament: Calm, has a sense of authority about him, appears to be always in control
Affiliation: Depends on who you are
Things to do in case of encounter: If you are a blacklist hunter, we suggest you try to defeat him. It is most likely that you will fail. Try mentioning something about a black tape and knowing the answers. If the last survivor of the Kuruta clan is anywhere in the area, you may also attempt asking him for help. However, we advise that you first try giving him a book, preferably an ancient book that no one has likely read before. With any luck, he will let you go unscathed, or you can try escaping while he goes over the book you just gave him.

SHIZUKU, Member of the Genei Ryodan
Age: Unknown
Sex: Female
Hair color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Weapon: A vacuum cleaner named Deme-chan
Appearance: She wears a turtleneck, a simple pair of jeans, and an inverted cross necklace. Please do not, and do we mean do not, mistake her for Trowa Barton. Trowa is a he. Shizuku-chan is a she. In addition, Trowa has long disposed of his necklace.
Temperament: We do not know if this is a weakness but she is amnesiac. Again, do not mistake her for the amnesiac Trowa Barton. Trowa does not remember his childhood. Shizuku-chan does not remember things that happened hours or days ago.
Affiliation: Depends on who you are, probably good
Things to do in case of encounter: If you feel you cannot defeat her, just quietly walk away. She will forget ever meeting you in no time, you weakling of a coward.

===============================================================

Advice Column

Dear Menchi,

I am the third youngest in an eccentric family of elite assassins. My parents and older siblings have been training me since I was three, and by the time I was five or so, they already started to give me assignments, that is, send me to kill people. I am now twelve years old and just SICK AND TIRED of everything. Sure, I'm now stronger than my mom and second bro, but that doesn't mean anything! I DON'T WANT this kind of life! To tell you truth, it's really boring. What should I do?

-Cat Stuck Up a Mountain, Not a Tree


Dear Cat,

If you can fight and you can cook, you'll survive in this world! You come from an elite assassin family, right? Then that means you're rich. It won't hurt to learn some fancy cooking from your cooks, those kind used for cocktail parties. Then, since you're stronger than your mom and second bro, beat them up then go. If you think life is boring and you don't know where to go after escaping, I suggest you take the Hunter Exams. It should be hard enough to provide you entertainment.

-Menchi

P.S. Don't forget about the part learning to cook! Just between the two of us, the skill's needed for the second part of the exams!


Dear Menchi-kun,

I can't stop thinking about you. Your pink hair, beautiful body...your spunky attitude. I love you, don't ever forget that. After I find that music box and travel to the other worlds I'll come back for us. Wait for me.

-Madly in love K.


Kuroshi, you pervert!

Would you just shut up?! We met in the Hunter Exams and for pity's sake, I'm a Double Star Hunter now! And what about you? You're still stuck looking for that magical music box time travel mumbo jumbo! Would you grow up? It doesn't exist as much as 'us' never existed. There's no 'us', okay? There was never an 'us'. Now leave me the [expletive] alone!

-Menchi


Dear Menchi,

My whole family…no, my whole TRIBE was killed by this group of thugs years ago. I've been training and wandering aimlessly since then. I really want to go after those [expletive] but I don't know where to start looking. Also, I don't feel like I'm strong enough to handle all of them. What should I do? Where should I start my quest for revenge?

-Scarlet Anger


Dear Scarlet,

One answer: Join the Hunter Exams. You'll get further training during the course of it and if you're lucky enough to pass, you'll have easy access to all information you'll ever need/want as well as learn N**. Sorry, but I can't tell you what N** is until you pass.

-Menchi


Dear Menchi,

It's been awhile now, but I can't get the thought of my poor late friend Pietro out of my head. You see, he had this awful disease but it was curable. However, we had financial problems and couldn't afford a doctor. My friend Pietro died. If only we had money...IF ONLY WE HAD MONEY! I'm determined to become a doctor and cure sick but poor people for free but the chances of getting myself into medical school is very vague...because WE DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY! I am thoroughly convinced that money rules the world and so now, where can I get some dough?

-Handsome but Penniless and Best Friend-less Doctor Wanna-Be


Dear Doctor,

Join the Hunter Exams. If you pass, you'll get your money and you probably won't even have to pay to get into med school. Although since you want to be a doctor, you're not much of a fighter, are you? Then I suggest you make sure to pick up some friends during the prelims. I assure you that they will save your butt loads of times. Try looking for Scarlet Anger. You are in similar situations of best friend-less-ness.

-Menchi

P.S. No, money does not rule the world. You cannot eat money, can you?


Dear Menchi,

I'm not writing to ask for advice, I'm writing to give YOU advice. Look out for any hunter applicant who uses cards. I can't give any accurate description of him because he often changes hair color (dyed, I think) but he does look and act Looney. If I got it correctly, his name is something like Hizoka or Xien or something. Be careful of him, Menchi. You don't want to end up like me, do you? Good luck giving this year's Exams!

-Maimed Former Hunter Exams Judge


Dear Judge,

Thank you, sir! And don't worry. All of the test-givers have been briefed about former exams' incidents.

-Menchi

===============================================================

Ads Section

-Advertisements-

FOOTWEAR CORPS - Need shoes? We have footwear for any place, any kind of situation, and any task that needs to be done! Try Shoes #13 Branch-Grip and we assure your safe travel among the trees as you hunt that foxrat, or Shoes #23 No-Sink that will get you pass that marshland without breaking a sweat. Shoes #36 The Landing is a pair of wooden sandals that would not crack should you choose to impress applicants by jumping from a hot air balloon high above the ground. What are you waiting for? Contact us now at Footwear Corps!

ZAOLDYECK ELITE ASSASSIN FAMILY - Trained since the age of three, we have only the best assassins there are! Life is not priceless. We would take down anyone (save our own family) if the pay is high enough. Our jobs are clean and faultless. So, if you need to get rid of your rival in business, contact us today! Our office and home is located at Kukuroo Mountain in the Dentra Area of the Republic of Padogia. Present this issue of THE HUNTER and you'll get a 30% discount on our services!

DOLLS GALLERY - we are currently specializing in porcelain dolls. You'll find them all here: any size, shape, creature or whatnot. All of our dolls always look great even when just propped up against the walls of a room mostly occupied by computers. Come down today while we still have the Limited Edition Extra-Creepy Girl Porcelain Doll in stock!

-Personal and Public Announcements-

BOUNTY HUNTERS A-10-TION - hunt down 'fox' and 'shadow', specimens of new specie types. Bounty is 100, 000 Jennies for each creature. We want them alive. Bring to Tokyo Labs Inc. as soon as possible after catching. -Researchers

HYSOKA - you failed to attend the last meeting and participate in the last three heists of the Genei Ryodan. Should you fail to attend the next gathering, Machi will totally dump you, you hear? The next mission is on September at Yorkshin City. -Spiders

ZAOLDYECKS - You filthy, soul-less beings! [Expletive]! I will hunt you down and revenge my father! My father was a good man. Everyone around him always smiled. -sob- You, [expletive]! You destroyed our lives! -Girl with earrings from her father

POST ADS FOR FREE - If you have ads you wish to post in THE HUNTER, please write them to Killua Rucilful at freya@yyhmail.com or simply place them in your review. The Go! button should be somewhere near the left-hand bottom corner. Go ahead, click it! Show us your support for this issue of THE HUNTER because if otherwise, the next issue might not be released! -hint- -hint-

-Miscellaneous-

WANTED: BETA-READER - Experience not needed, must be extremely patient, good in English grammar and spelling, and knows a fair amount about the anime Hunter X Hunter, especially about the Hunter Exams. Interested individuals please mail Killua Rucilful at freya@yyhmail.com.

WRITERS WITH LOADS OF FREETIME NEEDED - Ever heard of the fics Destiny's Game, Mask, and Only You? These three are (unfinished) fics of a one pixie-kura. Well, the fics have been on hold for about a year now and the writing half of the duo, Hareta (kura), has finally given me the go-signal to try finishing them. However, I am new to fic-writing and really have only the vaguest of ideas on how to continue the said fics. Interested co-authors-to-be please mail Killua Rucilful at freya@yyhmail.com.

MIBU TIMES DISPATCH, MEIJI JOURNAL and KUNI TORI REPORT - If you know the series Ruruoni Kenshin, then we highly suggest that you search out and read these newsletters on the aforementioned anime. THE HUNTER came about from adapting their concept.

DISCLAIMERS - I do not own Hunter X Hunter and neither was the idea of a newsletter mine (see ad before this one). In addition, the current entry of -Jing Freecs- for the Hunter Journal section was edited (a.k.a. written and will be continued) by my good friend Hareta.

===============================================================

This is it for the first edition of THE HUNTER. I do hope you enjoyed it. Special thanks to my partner, Buhara, Mr. Satotsu, Hareta, and, especially, Chairman Netero. Look out for the next issue of THE HUNTER! -Menchi