InuYasha Fan Fiction / Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Clash of the Egos ❯ Of Youkai and Hanyou ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/n: This is the tenth chapter! WE MUST CELEBRATE! Ha ha ha ha! I feel so powerful! Ok I edited chapter one saying that Kagome brought her big backpack because if she didn't they would starve. So if you notice, you will be well informed (not really) on it. Now we must continue with the story!
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha OR Bleach! So don't think you can sue a poor author living with her mom! XD Just kidding.
 
Chapter 10:Of Youkai and Hanyou
 
“Kikyo…what do you want from me?” Naraku asked coldly. He stood above her in a menacingly way, his red eyes staring her down and despite her efforts, it made her feel feeble.
 
“A favor. Please.” She replied, struggling against Naraku's incarnation's spell. She hated being bound like this, it made her feel weak. The boy was the most strange looking of them all, having yellow-orange eyes that held no shine of life and gray hair going down to his elbows. Kikyo glared at the boy, and he only smirked back, perhaps feeling triumph at causing her to become defenseless.
 
“Well? Speak now of what kind of favor you desire. You know how short my temper is these late days.” Naraku replied as he stood. “I know of your plans to kill me, but this is truly surprising, Kikyo.
 
Kikyo glared at him, “I do wish not to be here even though, I need your help. After this, consider your life ended.” She puled against the invisible ropes that held her fast, but the pressure only increased on her limbs. The priestess knew that this boy was but a tool, even though he was powerful.
 
“You should know that I've created someone who can protect me from the likes of you. Meet Yugata Utsuro.” Naraku chuckled at the sight of her fighting and she knew he enjoyed her pain. Kikyo glanced back at the boy, a smirk plastered on his face. He was just like his father, evil and cruel.
 
“Pleased to meet you, Kikyo.” Yugata Utsuro said pleasantly. “I've heard so many rumors about you.”
 
“I'm glad.” She replied in an icy voice full of hatred. She tried to move but Yugata Utsuro's powers were too strong and kept her in place.
 
Naraku chuckled again, “You see, my incarnation can control the minds and movements of the evil spirits of the dead. He is useful in many ways.”
 
Kikyo cringed in disgust, “I've noticed.”
 
“Well, back to the matter at hand. You've intruded my castle and interrupted me for what reason?”
 
“I want you to get rid of my reincarnation, Kagome. The girl that has caused both you and I many problems.” Kikyo replied, finally getting more and more exhausted with every second passing.
 
“Do I hear a hint of jealousy? Kikyo, I would have never guessed that a hollow like you could even be vengeful against the living.” Naraku laughed at her, making Kikyo grind her teeth in anger. “Are you envious of the living that are bound by time and are forever moving in the cycle of life? And that you are stranded the way you exist now. Nothing more than a vengeful spirit.”
 
“You should not be one to judge. Hanyou Naraku!” Kikyo spat back, finding the strength to once more pull against her shackles, even though knowing it was useless. Naraku had no right to insult her personally, knowing that it struck her hard.
 
“Yugata Utsuro. Take this useless piece of clay out of my sight.” Naraku snapped, turning around in anger.
 
“Yes, master Naraku.”
 
 
~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~> ~>~>~>~>~>~
 
 
Ichigo frowned at the ground as he and the others walked down a dirty path surrounded by trees and lush forest. They had decided, despite Inuyasha's wishes, to travel with him and Kagome in search for the Shikon no Kakera thingies. Chad and Karin decided to stay in the village, not wanting to travel in a forest infested with demons, oni and thieves. Karin said that she would help around with the villagers, and Ichigo found her hanging around some boy a couple years older than her. Ichigo frowned in disgust; she had found herself a boyfriend. His sister was growing up.
 
Chad said he wanted to protect the village from anything while they were gone. He would be a big help to rebuilding most of the village also; making sure that every house was secure and safe from anything like oni or demons. Miroku and Sango decided to stay too, saying that in the recent days the village was under more attacks than usual. But, Ichigo knew they wanted to spend more time together and laughed at their excuses. Shippo on the other hand couldn't be detached from Kagome and clung to her every moment. The kid was a crybaby.
 
“So… where do we looked first?” He asked the hanyou who traveled ahead of the group.
 
“Anywhere that Kagome senses a jewel.” Inuyasha replied, speaking of Kagome like she was some detector. Ichigo glanced back at Kagome who was walking in step with Orihime and Rukia, Shippo on her head like some kind of magnet. In the far back, Uryu walked by himself ignoring all that surrounded him, probably still thinking of a way to get out of the past.
 
Ichigo sighed, “How long do you guys walk before you actually find a jewel?” He asked Inuyasha, scratching the back of his head as he looked ahead, seeing a wide path that stretched to what seemed forever.
 
“Sometimes a day or two. Eh, we have to travel far. Not everything in hidden in my forest.” Inuyasha replied, his arms crossed as he walked something that he would always do from what Ichigo had seen.
 
Ichigo nodded, and quieted, still running over the incidents that led to the position he was in now, knowing that whatever was destined to occur, wasn't pleasant. He had first almost been killed by a pack of raging hollows, then almost killed by Inuyasha's he-she brother, then some kid who works for some bad guy tried to kill him using a pack of raging hollows. And then, some psycho bitch blew up his only way to escape, and finally, the village he was conveniently staying in was ambushed by a bounty hunter with emotional issues.
 
He frowned at nothing, wondering why he had ever come to be trapped in the past with a bunch of freaks. He never knew the Sengoku Jidai was so…so messed up. People really needed some Prozac. Ichigo sighed, massaging his forehead in anger. Why? Why him of all the Shinigami!?
 
“Oi, whelp, you better pay attention to what's ahead. You never know what'll pop out of the shadows.” Inuyasha muttered, growling at Ichigo. “I won't have you slowing me down.”
 
Ichigo sneered, “Don't call me that.”
 
“I'll call you whatever I want. You aren't the leader here.”
 
“Ok then, Nekoyasha.”
 
“Shut up.”
 
Ichigo laughed at the hanyou, who was amusingly entertaining. Soon they stopped to rest for Inuyasha complained about being hungry, and Kagome had whipped out some food for them, Ichigo remembered that she carried as large yellow backpack that was stuffed to the max. They sat in a circle, around a fire that Inuyasha had built from stray branches and twigs. As they sat, eating the soup that Kagome had prepared, which was exceptionally good to Ichigo since he was half starved to death, they stayed silent, even though Inuyasha's constant slurping of noodles echoed in the forest.
 
“Inuyasha,” Rukia said quietly, setting down her half-eaten bowl of ramen before her. “ I know you'd rather not, I want you to tell me everything you've heard about that Yoru Aruki character.”
 
Inuyasha snorted, eating up the last of his soup before sighing happily. “Why should I? They're just rumors anyway.” He sniffed. Ichigo rolled his eyes, knowing that Inuyasha just wanted to eat more instead of talking.
 
“Because, rumors sometimes contain the some truth to the subject.” Rukia replied, crossing her arms in frustration for the hanyou's skull was thicker than steel. “And I want to know more about him. He's suspicious.”
 
“Nah, ya think?” Inuyasha retorted, glaring at the small woman. “Some of them were really unpleasant that I would not like to remember.”
 
“Like?”
 
“Well, first of all, it's rumored that he used to be the youngest son of some lord of the north, and that he was trained to become a general in some army.” Inuyasha said, “And that he was jealous of his older brother who was going to be placed king if their father died in battle. One said that he killed his family and destroyed the kingdom and left it for the oni to take control over.”
 
“Huh?” Kagome murmured quietly, “But then if he was jealous how come he didn't take his place as a lord?”
 
“How the hell am I supposed to know?! I don't understand the minds of psychos.”
 
Rukia interrupted and she looked at them all, Ichigo shifted uncomfortably, knowing she was going to give them some kind of lecture. “Not what he told Sango and I. He said his family was murdered and he seemed very sane to me, just in some sort of denial.”
 
“Keh, I don't know why you trust him so much. He's just a mindless killer.” Inuyasha snorted. “I mean for all you know he's planning our deaths at any moment. You ningens, so trusting. It makes me sick…”
 
“I am NOT a ningen!” Rukia snapped back, “What else do I have to say for it to get through that thick skull of yours?!”
 
Ichigo rolled his eyes as Inuyasha jumped to his feet growling. “I am NOT thick headed!” Inuyasha made a motion for Tetsusaiga, but Kagome was just too fast.
 
“OSUWARI!” Ichigo saw Uryu smirk when the necklace around Inuyasha's neck glowed a light purple, and tugged him to the ground, his body squirming until the spell ceased and he lifted himself from the dirt which had his body outline imprinted in the grass.
 
“What the HELL was that for?!” He yelled, shaking a fist at Kagome who glared him down, until the honorable hanyou squeaked in fear.
 
“Because you're an ignorant jerk!” Kagome snapped back, her scowl making even Uryu flinch.
 
“Kagome you can sit down now.” Shippo muttered from Kagome's shoulder and she sighed, sitting back down on the ground beside Rukia.
 
Rukia also sighed, drumming her fingers on the ground, her head resting in her hand as they sat in silence. Ichigo grumbled as he sleepily rubbed his eyes. “God, I'm tired.” He growled to himself. All the walking and fighting had wasted his energy terribly. All he wanted to do now was sleep peacefully in his bed at home which he had sadly taken for granted when he was still in Tokyo, along with a nice blanket.
 
Sadly that wasn't going to happen.
 
“Well quit your crying and go to sleep then.” Inuyasha snorted and jumped into a nearby tree, resting his back against the trunk and letting one leg hang from the branch, swaying slightly. Ichigo wondered, was this guy a dog or cat? He thought dogs never liked trees.
 
Ichigo shook his head, lying in the grass and sighing. The ground was soft, softer than grass in the park or in a yard, but still not like his ol' good bed. But even though it wasn't, Ichigo still slipped into sleep in three minutes flat. He was so tired.
 
~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~> ~>~>~>~>~>~>~>
 
Yoru Aruki stalked through the forest, his sandals making no sounds as he walked his glaive firmly in hand. The sun had just gone down, leaving him in complete darkness as he traveled down a dirt path. His eyelids were half closed, as if he was dazed somehow, but the simple reason was; he was tired. Blood was splattered against his hakama (pants which are grey.) and hakamashita (a kind of blouse, it is like the top of a kimono that hangs loosely on the body which is black lined with grey.)
 
A bag full of Yen was held in his other hand, the jingling of the coins echoing in the empty, pitch black, woods. He had just completed another mission easily as he could walk and it made him proud that even after starving for days he still could fight like he always did. Maybe a human would h ave thought they were alone, but Yoru Aruki knew that something was flying above him now, the almost silent sounds of wings cutting through the air reached his ears. He mentally snorted, knowing that whatever creature it was, it had been following him for hours now.
 
Finally, tired of the cat and mouse game, Yoru Aruki turned, looking up to see a shadow hovering over the sky. `Komori...' he thought, knowing that the bat demon that flew to the ground, was an assassin as well. His silver eyes narrowed when the bat took on a different shape, morphing into some kind of humanoid with glowing red eyes and out-of-control black hair with wings sprouting from his back.
 
(A/n: Komori in Japanese means bat.)
 
“So…Nightwalker. Finally you notice me. What brings you to my territory?” the bat asked, crossing his arms in an almost lazy way. The young lad was pretty confident in himself, and Yoru Knew that just by looking at the pathetic demon's stance, the way he dragged his feet and held his head.
 
“Ha! You damned Komori…always after me. I knew that you had been following for a long time now, it seems you want something from me. What will it be my friend? Your death?” Yoru Aruki retorted, his death-like glare fixed upon the large demonic sword at the bat demon's hip.
 
“Oh no. What I want is something along the lines of your head in my hands and your corpse burning in the fires of hell.” The bat demon replied his tone condescending.
 
The bounty hunter chuckled lightly, “Only a weakling carries a demonic sword for they are not proud of their own demonic powers. This tells me that you deem that you can slay me, but you seem to know what you are doing so I might as well welcome your challenge.”
 
His opponent's smirk dropped at the insult and scowled at Yoru Aruki. `This one will be easy enough…' Yoru Aruki thought as a twisted smile crept upon his face. They stood there for several long moments, only the sounds of their clothing whipping at their bodies from the strong gusts of wind could be heard. In a second the sounds of metal against flesh echoed through the air as they raged forward. Yoru Aruki jumped and twisted his body around, landing in a tree. His arm had a long gash bleeding freely from where the Komori had cut him, it extended from his shoulder all the way down to his wrist, but it really did nothing. He looked at the wound nonchalantly.

On the bat demon's circumstance, a long gash went from his shoulder his hip. His lip curled in a growl and they charged once again. Yoru Aruki sidestepped, narrowly avoiding the long claws of the bat demon. He thrust his sword forward, aiming for the demon's heart but the Komori jumped, high above his head. The demon flipped, but Yoru's hand caught his ankle and slammed him into the ground, the smirk still plastered to his face.

"You are so predictable!" Yoru Aruki laughed, his hand still around the demon's ankle. He swung his opponent around, attempting to smash his opponent into a tree, but the demon twirled and rebounded, landing a foot firmly on Yoru Aruki's chest catching the bounty hunter off guard. He stumbled back a pace or two before countering, shoving his blade through the bat's shoulder, and driving it deeper and deeper into the accursed flesh. Blood trickled from the wound in rivers.

Yoru Aruki growled mischievously, "Let me enter your mind…" He stretched out his spirit, seeping into the demon's brain. He sifted through memories and secrets and went through every interesting part of the
bat's life before returning to his own body. The bounty hunter took a step back, watching the bat demon slowly stand, life beginning to leave his body.
 
The Komori swayed a bit before raging forward once again. Yoru Aruki leaped backwards, landing on a tree branch, sheathing his sword while unhooking his glaive from the leather holster tied to his back. He twirled the staff before jumping, like an eagle diving for its prey, he plunged at an amazing speed, pulling his arm backward and swinging it with such a force. The Komori ducked and kicked up his foot, aiming for Yoru Aruki's stomach but he only rotated, landing on one hand, launching himself into the air, high above the other demon.
 
This was an interesting battle. How long the poor soul might have trained to become this strong and die at the bounty hunter's hands was amusing. Bloodlust took Yoru Aruki by storm.

The bat demon followed, its leathery wings spreading out as it took to the sky. Yoru used his body to spiral itself, spinning rapidly as he sliced his way through his enemy's flesh. Blood spurted as the bat demon's arm flew from its body. Yoru Aruki turned around, landing in a tree.

"Night Walker… How interesting it is to see you unable to kill me. You are weaker than you are in the stories my grandfather told me when I was a whelp.”

At this Yoru laughed, "Your grandfather was the bat leader I killed over fifty years ago. He died within the seconds my glaive pierced his heart.”

"Does that mean you are toying with me?" the Komori asked as it dived at Yoru Aruki.

The bounty hunter did not answer. Instead he leaped into the air, threw his glaive. It spun like a boomerang, slicing through the Komori's skin taking a chunk of its body. Using his mind, Yoru Aruki willed the glaive to return to his hand as soon as he landed onto the dirt path. The bat demon crashed into the ground at his feet, its blood pooling around his sandals. He felt the enemy's life force slowly fading away…

Yoru Aruki smirked to himself, "The answer to you question is yes. If I wanted to, I would have killed you the moment those deformed feet touched the ground.” His mouth touched the cut on his arm, licking the blood away. He then turned, heading away from the blood-splattered area, the wind once again tugging at his hakamashita as the bounty hunter walked down the dirt path.
 
`All this blood on my clothing is making me ravenous.' He thought as he looked down at the ground. `I haven't eaten in three days and I'm so…' his thoughts were interrupted, the smell of food reaching his nose. Yoru Aruki's eyebrow furrowed, following the scent silently as he leapt through the trees, stopping as the forest ended and a small house stood in a large clearing. Behind the house was what seemed to be a large field of herbs.
 
Yoru Aruki slid along a wall, the smell of delicious stew pulling him in, but his instincts told him that there was something other than a human inside. There was the sound of fire crackling and the noises of a spoon stirring the soup. He licked his fangs, his heart beginning to beat faster as each second passed, the smell was overwhelming.
 
“You may come in, you know. There's no need for a person to stand out there in the cold like that.” A voice said and Yoru Aruki looked up, seeing the shadow of an old woman in the glow coming from the doorway. He straightened, his hand automatically resting on his broad sword as he walked to the front of the house, looking down at the old woman that reminded him somewhat of a mountain hag who stood in the doorway, a scowl fixed upon her face.
 
“Hurry up and get in here before they see you.” She growled, “If any of the villagers see a blood covered demon standing before my house they'll think the worst of it.” Yoru Aruki's eyes widened in surprise. The woman somehow trusted him in a way that he had seen only once, when the small girl with black hair set him free.
 
“I bet you're here because you're hungry. With that gash on your arm I suppose you must have gotten caught in a fight.” She grumbled as she led him inside. Yoru Aruki tried not to flinched from how little space there was, for in the corner, sat a half-demon, larger than most he's seen. The young hanyou was covered in scars and bruises that shown brightly on his tan skin and his face resembled a horse's, which mode Yoru Aruki mentally snort. The hanyou whimpered at the sight of the blood splattered bounty hunter and Yoru Aruki sighed. Why the hell was he in here anyhow?
 
Because he was starving.
 
“Oh, Jinenji, hush yourself. This man needs to eat.” She then looked at Yoru Aruki; “We can hear your stomach growling from in here.” The old woman said as she stirred the stew that sat in a cauldron in the middle of the room. It seemed that she only had two wooden bowls and Yoru Aruki already felt bad about even coming. These people were poor as poor could get, in defiance of their small cropland outside and he ran a hand through his silk-like hair.
 
“Look, I do not need to be here. I can see you both have your food, which will not be enough for all of us. You don't need to house me.” He said sternly, trying to ignore his stomach's protests. “You obviously do not know who I am.”
 
The old woman snorted, “Ha! You don't think I know who you are? You're the Night Walker, of course and murderer or not you don't have anything to eat so I am here to help you.” She threw him a glare that made the bounty hunter smile and he nodded, sitting next to the hanyou from whom Yoru Aruki could sense great fear. Jinenji whimpered once again, scooting far from the bounty hunter, but Yoru Aruki pretended not to notice.
 
The old woman handed him a bowl and they ate in silence, not needing to ask much questions. “Where are you coming from?” the elder woman asked staring him straight into the eyes.
“A mission. A young lord wanted me to slay another bounty hunter who was apparently hot on his trail. It really wasn't that difficult.” He replied, leaning back against the wooden wall, sighing in relief.
 
“But, where did all that blood come from? It smells like a bat.” Jinenji murmured, as he set down his bowl before him looking at Yoru Aruki with the most unusual shaped blue eyes. The bounty hunter's eyes narrowed.
 
“You can say on my way here, I ran into…trouble.” He sighed, “I shouldn't stay here. The reinforcements will follow my blood trail.” He looked at the gash on his arm, seeing that the muscles were already reconnecting.
 
The old hag nodded, “Yes, yes. It seems you are not a very happy man with your current position.”
 
Yoru Aruki snorted at the comment, his silver gaze looking at the fire in the middle of the room and sighed. “Being a bounty hunter isn't a very pleasant occupation.”
 
“Well then, maybe for one evening you can be a brother to us and not the Night Walker.” The hanyou muttered. Looking at him as if he was worth pitying.
 
“Don't waste your sympathy on me boy. I've lived two hundred years and I know how to survive in this world.” He replied, standing. “I will stay, but only for tonight. For now, if you need me, I will be outside.” He growled, cursing himself for even being to foolish to come to this place. Why exactly did he need help from a half-breed and human hag?
 
He jumped, landing easily on the roof of the house, wondering if the old woman was concerned about him even staying there. He sat, leaning back on one hand and resting his other arm on his bent knee, welcoming the shine of the moon. His glaive rested at his side along with his broad sword. For now, the bounty hunter had to concentrate some of his energy in disguising himself as a ningen and his mind would subconsciously keep the illusion up in his sleep, only if he drifted off. But even before he knew it, the bounty hunter lay down and rested his head on his arm, falling into sleep.
 
~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~> ~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>
 
The sun was rising and early birds sang as the swept through the sky, waking Rukia from her deep sleep. She sighed as she sat up, looking at the rising sun pleasantly, it was nice to sleep outside, the cool air on your face and a crick in your neck that was so stiff you couldn't move your head at all. She accidentally swung her head at the cracking sound of twigs, only to see Orihime happily feeding a fire.
 
“Ouch….” She muttered, standing up and stretching. “Orihime…why are you up so early?”
 
“Everyone else is. Well, besides Ichigo.” Orihime replied with a shrug, tossing a few pieces of dried grass into the crackling flames.” Uryu sat at the trunk of a tree, staring off into space, as if thinking hard about anything, which was something she saw him do a lot. Ichigo lay, sprawled out on the grass, snoring.
 
“Tell your pet to wake up. We're leaving soon after we eat breakfast.” Inuyasha growled as he and Kagome came over with wood.
 
Kagome sighed and nodded, “We have a lot of ground to cover.” She smiled as she took out some more ramen from her backpack and began to cook it.
 
Rukia shook her head and walked over to Ichigo, nudging his side with her foot. She presumed it to be around six o clock, a bit early for the teen. “Ichigo get up you fool!” she barked and finally kicked him.
 
Ichigo sat straight up, a stunned look on his face as he ran a hand through his hair. “I'm awake, I'm awake.” He muttered. “What the hell…? The sun isn't even fully up yet, so why am I up?”
 
“Because, we're heading back on the trail. We do this all the time.” Kagome replied, handing Rukia and Orihime bowls of ramen before giving one to Inuyasha who downed it before anyone could say, `chew.' Ichigo blinked several times before standing up and brushing himself off. He was given a bowl of steaming instant noodles and ate it like a ravenous animal.
 
Soon, they were all back on the road, Ichigo yawning loudly, making sure he could move his neck right before stretching. He stayed silent for a while, eavesdropping on the conversations Inuyasha and Kagome had between the two of themselves.
“Aren't we by… Jineji's home?” Kagome asked as they walked.
 
Inuyasha nodded, sniffing the air, “I can smell him from here, but that's not the only thing I smell.”
 
“What do you mean?” Shippo asked who was sitting atop Kagome's head. “Who is Jinenji again?”
 
“Yeah, who's Jinenji?” Ichigo asked as he picked up the pace to fall instep with Kagome, Rukia right behind him with Orihime and Uryu.
 
“Just a friend.” Kagome replied, looking at her feet, kicking a rock.
 
“Look….” Uryu muttered, and Ichigo looked back at the nerd who was pointing to the path ahead.
 
Kagome and Orihime gasped at the same time as they all saw the pool of blood right in the middle of the path, the crimson liquid looked half-way dried in the rising sunlight as they ran over to the body lying in the dirt. But Inuyasha thrust a hand out in front of them, preventing them to go any further.
 
“Komori!” Inuyasha growled, lifting his sleeve to his nose. Rukia looked over the hanyou's shoulder, seeing a mangled body which resembled some kind of half bat, half human creature, she cringed at the sight of all the blood. She shuddered, covering her mouth in dismay.
 
“Pardon me?” Uryu asked Inuyasha, raising an eyebrow as he moved past all of them and squatting to get a better look. Rukia couldn't understand how he could stand the smell of rotten flesh.
 
“Komori…bat demon. They're all over the country.” Inuyasha replied, stepping over the body. “This is disgusting.”
 
Kagome nodded, following Inuyasha away from the blood pool. “Who could have done such a thing?”
 
Rukia, Ichigo and Orihime carefully stepped over the crimson liquid, avoiding the touch of demon blood. Uryu stood and walked through it as if it meant nothing and scrapped the soles of his shoes on some grass. “Whoever it was is very powerful.” He said coldly, now leading the way down the trail. “There is blood scattered all around here. The victor of this battle headed…” Rukia saw Uryu's eyes move to the west slightly. “That way.”
 
“That's in the direction of Jinenji's village!” Kagome exclaimed. “Inuyasha! What if they were attacked?!” Inuyasha nodded, as if understanding the situation.
 
“Get on Kagome!” he ordered, the girl climbing onto his back. Inuyasha leapt into a tree, then hopped to another. Tree skipping.
 
Rukia sighed, “They just leave us. All right Ichigo we need to catch up.” She handed her friend the Soul Candy and Ichigo swallowed it, his soul ripping from his body. Rukia climbed on Ichigo's back as well and Kon held Orihime much to Ichigo's distaste. It was disturbing to see himself with Orihime in his arms. Somehow, Uryu was able to keep up, and they sped through the forest.
 
Rukia squinted as a small house came into view along with Inuyasha's yells, as they closed in on him, they saw Kagome standing to one side of the hanyou and they were both looking up at a figure atop the roof. A man clad in black, with long black hair. They stopped behind the hanyou and now Rukia was tense. Something was strange and familiar about this man that made her cringe, as if he was real and yet…unreal. She jumped down from Ichigo's back and landed firmly in the grass next to Kagome. Rukia frowned, the man was covered head to toe in blood and his left sleeve was ripped, a long gash starting from his shoulder and gliding down to his wrist.
 
“HEY WHERE THE HELL IS JINENJI!?” Inuyasha yelled as he unsheathed Tetsusaiga, glaring at the man.
“I harmed neither the hag nor her hanyou son. Jinenji left with his mother to the village.” The man replied, eyeing the hanyou. “I am simply resting, Inuyasha.” Rukia's eyes snapped forward, suddenly recognizing the voice of this man.
 
“H-how did you know my name?!” Inuyasha demanded, stepping forward in a menacing way.
 
The man laughed, looking at his clothes, “I wonder if all this blood hides my real scent, one reason why you do not recognize me.” The man stood, still laughing. “Yoru Aruki…at your service.” He bowed.
 
Rukia rolled her eyes, “Well, what are you doing here?” she asked him.
 
“Like I said, `resting.'” He replied letting the illusion fall, revealing the white haired, silver-eyed demon they set free the day before.
 
“But why here?” asked Orihime, looking up at him in astonishment at the new trick.
 
“Anywhere else would not be safe for an assassin like myself.” Replied Yoru Aruki, crossing his arms and sighing. “I looked for somewhere remote and hard to find. I needed to rest so; the hag welcomed me here. Nothing more to say.”
 
Rukia frowned as the sounds of thundering steps came towards them. She looked to her right, seeing a large creature and an old woman. It must be the hanyou and hag, Yoru Aruki had mentioned, even though she didn't expect the half-demon to be so large and it startled her a little before she regained her sense and stayed still.
 
“Kagome!” the hanyou said happily.
 
“Hi Jinenji.”
 
“Kagome…Inuyasha.” The old woman said, “I see you've met our guest.”
 
Before Orihime could squeak in fear, Rukia slapped her hand over the other girl's mouth, shushing her. Kagome smiled and waved to them, “Yeah, it seems that we thought he had…done something to you guys, seeing the farm all empty and him covered in blood kind of made us suspicious.”
 
“I see that your heart is as pure as ever, girl. Thank the Gods that Inuyasha hasn't had a bad influence on you.” The old woman replied smiling back at Kagome before looking at Kagome's new companions.
 
“Who are these people? You told be you had friends, but wasn't one a Taijiya and the other a monk?” the old woman questioned, looking them up and down. Her gaze stopped at Ichigo, frowning even more. “I've never seen a human with flame colored hair before. Is he a demon?”
 
Rukia struggled to hide her smirk at Ichigo who just rolled his eyes nonchalantly, obviously used to hearing the same line over and over. Kagome laughed, “Oh no, none of these guys are demons so you don't have to worry. And Sango and Miroku stayed at our village, probably tired of all the travelling.”
 
The elderly woman nodded, still eyeing them before looking at Yoru Aruki, saying, “And you, get down here. Jinenji brought you some new clothes.” Rukia sweatdropped as Yoru Aruki, THE Yoru Aruki complied obediently, jumping from the roof and landing before he giant hanyou, taking new black robes from him. She then noticed that Jinenji flinched, from the bounty hunter's close presence. She barely caught the action.
 
Uryu seemed to notice also, “I see that you know what this creature is. Why did you let him stay the night, if you knew that this demon could kill you in your sleep?” he asked quietly, looking at the old woman with a questioning eye.
 
“Our farm is welcome to anyone. Mainly we keep misfit travelers here who can't afford anywhere else.”
 
“How unwise.” Commented Uryu.
 
“Have you not a drop of compassion in your heart?” the old woman countered.
 
Ichigo smirked, “Trust me, that's a question that has yet to be answered.”
 
“Keep your mouth shut Kurosaki.” Uryu growled. Rukia sighed and sweatdropped, the two seemed as if they were never to get along.
 
“We should move on now! I can't believe I'm wasting perfect shard searching time with these people.” Inuyasha grumbled, sheathing Tetsusaiga and crossing his arms.
 
“OSUWARI!” Kagome yelled, glaring at Inuyasha angrily before turning to the old woman. “I say, let's stay for a while. It's been so long.”
 
Rukia quirked an eyebrow, “Do we really have time for this?”
 
“Why not?”
 
“It depends if they have room for all of us. As you can see our bounty hunter has already occupied the roof, which means that Inuyasha will have to sit inside. And…” she whispered in Kagome's ear, “It looks like your Jinenji can barely fit in there himself.”
 
Inuyasha snorted, half laughing, half scoffing at Rukia. “Keh, I can sit outside. Like I would want to sit in a crowded house stinking of humans.”
 
“And hanyou.” Ichigo said aloud.
 
“Keh.”
 
The old lady sighed and shook her head, “Suit yourself, but when you want to come inside later, don't cry when we refuse.”
 
“Like I would cry.”
 
“Yeah, his ego is too big to allow it.” Kagome said in a taunting tone.
 
“Keh…”
 
“The hanyou is too stubborn.” Yoru Aruki said. “He needs to watch himself before that mouth gets out of hand.” He still stood beside Jinenji who seemed to can't stop shaking.
 
“Hey! Say that to me face!” the dog hanyou yelled, shaking a fist at Yoru Aruki. The bounty hunter just sighed and jumped onto the roof, smirking down at Inuyasha who growled. Kagome laughed as she ushered them into the small house, sitting between Inuyasha (who decided to stay inside) and Jinenji. Rukia sat between Ichigo and Orihime, Ichigo sitting between Uryu and herself and Orihime sitting between her and the old woman. Rukia hid a smile when Uryu looked completely angered with his seating, which was next to Jinenji.
 
“Ok, I guess I should introduce my new friends. Ichigo, the one with the orange hair, Uryu with the glasses, Orihime with the long hair and Rukia with black hair. Oh, and you didn't meet Shippo either!” Kagome said pleasantly as she gestured towards the small fox cub sitting in her lap.
 
“What a colorful assortment of creatures.” The hag said while broiling tea. “Come to think of it, where did ye strange people come from? You certainly don't look like folks I've ever seen before.”
 
“Well, what a nice thing to say.” Ichigo remarked sarcastically, leaning back against the wall where he sat, crossing his arms.
 
“Nevermind us. I want to know how you came across Inuyasha and Kagome.” Rukia asked, looking at the old woman, with curiosity.
 
“In our first meeting, we gave them herbs for a wounded friend.” Jinenji answered quietly; obviously not used to being around so many people. Rukia's eyes shifted to the half-demon, her gaze landing on, what seemed to be hundreds of scars across his arms, legs and even his face, which bizarrely resembled a horse's.
 
“Who gave you all those scars?” Rukia asked.
 
Jinenji paused uncomfortably, a tense moment lingering in the air. He finally answered in a smaller voice than before, “ The villagers.”
 
“Oh.” Rukia felt as if she had asked the wrong question.
 
“Your name is Rukia, no?” The old woman eyed the girl, “You have a strange aura about you.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“You must be a half-breed.” The old woman concluded, earning a reaction from Rukia.
 
Rukia rolled her eyes, “I am nothing near a half demon.”
 
“More like a disabled Shinigami who lent her powers to some juvenile.” Yoru Aruki's voice said through the wood of the roof. “You can save your lecture, woman.”
 
“Who are you calling juvenile?” Ichigo growled.
 
“Who is the Shinigami?” the bounty hunter replied coolly.
 
“You seriously have some issues you need to work out.”
 
Yoru Aruki didn't answer and another moment of eerie silence loomed over them. Rukia knew that this was true and that the demon did know that he had some issues with his past. Even though she knew he was being a bit sensitive about it, he was probably better off alone.
 
“Sensitive bastard.” Inuyasha growled.
 
“You're the same way when Myoga talks about your mother.” Kagome said.
 
“Shut up.”
 
Ichigo sighed, looking between the two. “Talk about dysfunctional relationships.”
“Um, what kind demon was your father?” Rukia asked, Jinenji, trying to be polite.
 
“Oh, I don't know exactly. His father looked mostly human when we met, and judging by Jinenji's partial transformation, I suppose he was a horse demon.” The old woman replied.
 
“Horse…” Rukia studied Jinenji's features and concluded that his long face really did look like a horse. Rukia frowned as a feeling tingled in the back of her head. She pushed it away, ignoring the rising fear in her mind. Something was coming.
 
End Chapter 10
 
A/N: Nothing to say today you guys! But I hoped you enjoyed this! Wait till next time for another action packed chapter!!!!